• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Young Justice: The Animated Series

Riddler's design is so bad. I always forget it's him when he pops up on the show.
Joker also but still better than
342801-154963-riddler_super.jpg

Imo

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Eh at least The Batman's Riddler was kinda fresh and distinctive. YJ's is a forgettable goof.

I also liked the hacking angle in The Batman's version.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Rewatching YJ again with the knowledge of later episodes shows some nice foreshadowing and such.

Although I still hate the third episode.

Tim's still holds up IMO. Although that brings up a point, did TAS inspire his red and black costume in the comics, or other way around?

This is a really interesting question, actually. I'm not sure. Tim's black cape predates his first appearance on TAS by several years (remember Tim did not appear until "The New Batman Adventures" relaunch in 1997), and I'm pretty sure he had more red in his costume by then as well...but I don't think he lost the green entirely until post-TAS.

It's probably a little of both - the TAS costume was influenced by the distinct differences between Drake's costume and Grayson's, but they went all out with the red, influencing the costume in the comic in turn. That's my theory, anyway. It's a bit tricky to pinpoint the first appearance of the red costume.

edit: The red costume hit the comics in 2006. Definitely the show's influence.
Weird, I thought it was a lot earlier than that.

edit2: ah ha, yes! There was in fact a costume with a lot more red pre-2006, though I imagine this one was heavily influenced by the show as well.
YaFyvl.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This is a really interesting question, actually. I'm not sure. Tim's black cape predates his first appearance on TAS by several years (remember Tim did not appear until "The New Batman Adventures" relaunch in 1997), and I'm pretty sure he had more red in his costume by then as well...but I don't think he lost the green entirely until post-TAS.

It's probably a little of both - the TAS costume was influenced by the distinct differences between Drake's costume and Grayson's, but they went all out with the red, influencing the costume in the comic in turn. That's my theory, anyway. It's a bit tricky to pinpoint the first appearance of the red costume.

edit: The red costume hit the comics in 2006. Definitely the show's influence.
Weird, I thought it was a lot earlier than that.

edit2: ah ha, yes! There was in fact a costume with a lot more red pre-2006, though I imagine this one was heavily influenced by the show as well.
YaFyvl.jpg

Neato, when was did that costume debut?

lol, nice catch! Someone just recolored it ;p

Internet detective fail...I still think there was a "transition" costume between his black cape w/heavy green from 1989-1990 and the Red/Black/Yellow of 2006.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Is it sad to say I have both that issue posted above and the first Robin #1 from 1989?

And yes, the black cape with the yellow undercoat was Tim's first Robin outfit from 89 along with the red tunic and green pants/glove with black boots. Then Tim switched to that red suit in 2006.

And I always have a hard time seeing that THIS Robin is the same Robin from that 2006 issue. It's like as soon as they put in in the red suit they de-aged him by 5 years or something...

robin.jpg
129096-4975-110098-1-robin_super.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Queen Bee did say something about Beast Boy being under her control or something? I wonder if it will come into play.

Yeah, that's a pretty awesome design. I'm just sitting here wondering that if they knew he was going to be Nightwing and they were gonna bring Tim on... why did they give Dick Tim's costume? Now Tim looks like a me-too knockoff when it was originally his costume...

Tim's new costume is fucking awesome and better than what Dick was wearing.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Tim's new costume is fucking awesome and better than what Dick was wearing.

I didn't notice any big differences. What were they?

I also don't like his buzz cut hair but I guess they had to differentiate his head somehow since the artists can really only draw people a certain way.

Poyunch

I didn't notice any big differences. What were they?

I also don't like his buzz cut hair but I guess they had to differentiate his head somehow since the artists can really only draw people a certain way.

Not much other than the gauntlets, sleeves, and belt.
u8Eu0.png
2IGW3.png

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ah the sleeves, yeah that is better. Tim also looks older than Dick did... I like Dick's cape more actually.

Mononofu

Screens from "alienated" are out. I don't have a link atm.

Warning more possible spoilers!

This takes place in episode 4, "Salvage".

Wally and Artemis are still together, and have retired from superhero business. They both live together and they go to College.

*The "disgraced comrade" Nightwing, along with Wally, Barry as Flash, Green Arrow, and Black Canary are trying to save is Clone Roy/Red Arrow, who is still fighting crime, but now lives in near-poverty in a terrible apartment, has crazy hobo beard and looks like Red Hood and the Outlaws Roy a bit, and has been "borrowing" money from the victims he saves (like taking 1,000 from 10,000 after he gets the stolen money back from crooks). Roy defends himself, saying he needs the money to find the real Roy, whom everyone else thinks he's dead. Wally sees Clone Roy as a lost cause because of this.

*When arriving back to his apartment, it is revealed that Roy married Cheshire for a bit, but are now separated, since she is a full-blown criminal. She is also pregnant.

*The B-plot is Superboy and Blue Beetle stopping Intergang members "Ugly" Mannheim and Whisper A'Daire, who are wreaking havoc in high-tech weaponry. They release an alien Golem from the JL's earlier days and the heroes fight them all. The Golem later communicates with them, and reveals he is actually a good guy. A villainous Aqualad, masked and unknown to them, comes by, and flat-out kills the Golem.

*Episode ends with BB and Supes finding Mannheim and A'Daire drooling and mindbroken, with Conner having a good idea of who could have caused this.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Wally and Artemis are still together, and have retired from superhero business. They both live together and they go to College.

*The "disgraced comrade" Nightwing, along with Wally, Barry as Flash, Green Arrow, and Black Canary are trying to save is Clone Roy/Red Arrow, who is still fighting crime, but now lives in near-poverty in a terrible apartment, has crazy hobo beard and looks like Red Hood and the Outlaws Roy a bit, and has been "borrowing" money from the victims he saves (like taking 1,000 from 10,000 after he gets the stolen money back from crooks). Roy defends himself, saying he needs the money to find the real Roy, whom everyone else thinks he's dead. Wally sees Clone Roy as a lost cause because of this.

*When arriving back to his apartment, it is revealed that Roy married Cheshire for a bit, but are now separated, since she is a full-blown criminal. She is also pregnant.

*The B-plot is Superboy and Blue Beetle stopping Intergang members "Ugly" Mannheim and Whisper A'Daire, who are wreaking havoc in high-tech weaponry. They release an alien Golem from the JL's earlier days and the heroes fight them all. The Golem later communicates with them, and reveals he is actually a good guy. A villainous Aqualad, masked and unknown to them, comes by, and flat-out kills the Golem.

*Episode ends with BB and Supes finding Mannheim and A'Daire drooling and mindbroken, with Conner having a good idea of who could have caused this.

Hot damn if true.

jasonng

This is me nitpicking but on the subject of Robin:

One of the things I love that they did in season one that eventually didn't come into fruition was keeping the audience in the dark on who was Robin. Very early on people could've assumed it was Dick Grayson but it could've easily been Tim Drake (He led Young Justice at one point and had a strong friendship with Superboy if I recall correctly). Hell I was even rooting for Robin to be Damian Wayne. I actually became disappointed when it all went out the window and there were strong hints it was Dick. It's clear why they went with him judging by the direction they went in season two.

Still, it was a fun thought to entertain when I watched the first season.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I actually liked the look of Joker in YJ. With his gloves and twin switchblades, he makes me think of a somewhat more kid friendly version of Heath Ledger's dangerous psychopath hobo Joker.

Granted he's a villain who hasn't had a lot to do so far in the show.

Wow...will CN actually air the ep? Some heavy stuff holy shit.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

WTF. This show's about to get AWESOME.

How can they get away with half of that on kid's TV though??

abundant

How can they get away with half of that on kid's TV though??

CN is not the strict when it comes to their shows. Clone Wars has gotten away with a lot of things - full on decapitations where you see the heads falling of the bodies, slavery episodes, executions, and torture scenes.

*if true*

BISONYES.gif

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I mean
divorce
is one thing, I've started seeing it less extremely rarely on kid's shows, but
unwed parent
? That is some balls right there.

Next ep they're going to reveal something like
Lagoon Boy is gay
or something at this rate.

Avixph

I mean
divorce
is one thing, I've started seeing it less extremely rarely on kid's shows, but
unwed parent
? That is some balls right there.

Next ep they're going to reveal something like
Lagoon Boy is gay
or something at this rate.
Or mabye
Conner

reading the Ask Greg site.

Anonymous writes...
Does Artemis play any sports? And if so which ones?
Greg responds...
She's really good at archery.

LOL

someone asked about Dick and Babs and got a spoiler response, oh yeah! Same about Batman's romance question

Top Bottom