• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your GotY so far? -- 2024 Vol. 2

Pick your GotY so far for 2024

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

nnytk

I loved Nioh 1and 2 but the loot system and shitty level designs made it hard for me to stick with.

Is Ronin better in that regard? I feel like there are a bunch of superior games out atm but I also don't want to miss out on a Team Ninja "classic".

Heck, I still have Stranger of Paradise to delve deeper into but again, shitty level design made it hard to stick with.

the_master

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is the one for me. Really really like this remake.
Need to play Astrobot but I doubt I like it more. Also enjoyed Helldivers 2 and Ballatro

I loved Nioh 1and 2 but the loot system and shitty level designs made it hard for me to stick with.

Is Ronin better in that regard? I feel like there are a bunch of superior games out atm but I also don't want to miss out on a Team Ninja "classic".

Heck, I still have Stranger of Paradise to delve deeper into but again, shitty level design made it hard to stick with.
I never played Nioh or SoP. The level design in Ronin is fine, nothing special but also not bad. It's open world. The strength of Ronin comes from the combat and traversal. The game is designed incredibly well considering how massive it is. It's a big as shit game and somehow Team Ninja stuck the landing. There's so many systems going on and once you realize how fine tuned everything is for the player, the game really opens up and reveals its brilliance.

Reviewers approached it wrong at release and the graphic complaints are really silly IMO. It's not a soulslike, it's not ubisoft slop. It's like a Action JRPG, meets Diablo (weapons/gear), meets Mass Effect. It's a really unique game IMO.

nnytk

I never played Nioh or SoP. The level design in Ronin is fine, nothing special but also not bad. It's open world. The strength of Ronin comes from the combat and traversal. The game is designed incredibly well considering how massive it is. It's a big as shit game and somehow Team Ninja stuck the landing. There's so many systems going on and once you realize how fine tuned everything is for the player, the game really opens up and reveals its brilliance.

Reviewers approached it wrong at release and the graphic complaints are really silly IMO. It's not a soulslike, it's not ubisoft slop. It's like a Action JRPG, meets Diablo (weapons/gear), meets Mass Effect. It's a really unique game IMO.
I love Mass Effect and yeah, that Diablo loot system was already in Nioh and Stranger of Paradise, to the point where it got bloated and annoying to deal with.

You haven't really sold me on it... Maybe if it's more gorey and arcadey fun than Nioh. I felt Nioh was too hardcore for me...

I love Mass Effect and yeah, that Diablo loot system was already in Nioh and Stranger of Paradise, to the point where it got bloated and annoying to deal with.

You haven't really sold me on it... Maybe if it's more gorey and arcadey fun than Nioh. I felt Nioh was too hardcore for me...
Hard to say, and hard to sell. I've put about 115 hours into it but I understand if others don't like it as much.

The combat seems relatively arcadey to me. It's also a relative breeze if you simply play the game rather than plow through main missions. It's tough at first but you get over-leveled and the weapons system is really rewarding if you take advantsge of the perk system. There's also useful buffs and debuffs for combat.

It's one of those games that if you enjoy and explore the menus/systems, you'll see how many options you have available and you end up enjoying that much more.

If you plow through it, it'll probably come off as disjointed and meh.

Game is a total gem but yea, not everyone is going to enjoy it the same.

nnytk

Hard to say, and hard to sell. I've put about 115 hours into it but I understand if others don't like it as much.

The combat seems relatively arcadey to me. It's also a relative breeze if you simply play the game rather than plow through main missions. It's tough at first but you get over-leveled and the weapons system is really rewarding if you take advantsge of the perk system. There's also useful buffs and debuffs for combat.

It's one of those games that if you enjoy and explore the menus/systems, you'll see how many options you have available and you end up enjoying that much more.

If you plow through it, it'll probably come off as disjointed and meh.

Game is a total gem but yea, not everyone is going to enjoy it the same.
Appreciate the replies, will keep an eye out for a sale or cheap used copy. Definitely want to give it a shot. Too bad demos are rare these days.

I voted Tekken 8 since out of that list, it's the only one I've played as there was a summer sale once and took advantage of it. I have this personal rule of never buying games at full price.

Top Bottom