• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your GotY so far? -- 2024 Vol. 2

Pick your GotY so far for 2024

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Some of those game I don't have access to due to exclusivity, but picked Wukong over Balatro, Helldivers, and Space Marine 2.

Some real heavy hitters this year, but of course (spam alert) Silent Hill 2 will win GOTY.......

KiteGr

While I love Dragon's Dogma 2, I can't vote it for Goty. It has nearly all the issues the 1st game had and was considered unfinished, namely a small monster variety, a story that falls flat in the middle, a world that looks like it was meant to be bigger and the exact same number of vocations. It has many improvements here and there, but it still doesn't feel like a finished product.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Right now it's black myth wukong though ive only played 3 astro bot levels. Going to go back to it later this week after finishing up Star Wars outlaws and if a kiddie platformer like Astrobot wins my GOTY, i will request a perma ban because i wouldve lost all respect for myself.

So far, here are my awards:
  • Best Game Of the Year - Wukong
  • Worst Game Of the Year - HellBlade 2
  • Most Mediocre Game Of the Year - Star Wars Outlaws
  • Most Mediocre Japanese Game Of the Year - Dragon's Dogma 2
  • Best Mini Game of the Year - FF7 Rebirth
  • Worst Mini Game of the Year - FF7 Rebirth
  • Best Graphics Of the Year - Hellblade 2
  • Best Graphics In A Real Video Game - Black Myth Wukong
  • Worst Open World Of the Year - FF7 Rebirth
  • Best Storytelling - Literally Nothing
  • Worst Storytelling - FF7 Rebirth
  • Best GaaS Trash - Suicide Squad
  • Worst Graphics Of the Year - Rise Of Ronin

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Right now it's black myth wukong though ive only played 3 astro bot levels. Going to go back to it later this week after finishing up Star Wars outlaws and if a kiddie platformer like Astrobot wins my GOTY, i will request a perma ban because i wouldve lost all respect for myself.

• Overall Super Game Of the Year - Helldivers 2
Agreed with the top bullet point!
im-doing-my-part-dogecoin.gif

Celcius

°Temp. member
Unicorn Overlord is Vanillaware's finest work to date and the best new game I've played this year*

*Persona 3 Reload is a remake so gets disqualified I think, and I'm waiting on the PC version of FF7 Rebirth so haven't played that yet

Last edited:

pudel

Okay weird one here...but the most fun this year so far I had with "Terminator: Dark Fate - Defiance". :messenger_grinning_sweat: Remembered me of the good old pc games. Pretty hard -> lots of quick saving, lots of micromanagement...but its a beautiful battlefield orchestra and super satisfying when you managed to finish a map/mission while collecting your hard earned new toys (tanks/vehicles) for yr little army (or just to sell them in order to keep things going). Story was also pretty neat.

But my (hopefully) real goty contenders are still yet to come.

DeepSpace5D

My GotY is not on there, but it’s Grounded: Fully Yoked Edition. I count it because it just released on PlayStation this year.

Incredibly fun sandbox world to explore, especially in co-op. And it also has excellent base building mechanics.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Astro Bot is the stand out title that I always said it would be.

I really hope Batman Arkham Shadow is as good as it looks. That could end up being my game of the year.

LMJ

I'm so proud of my boy :D

Chase Run Away GIF by PlayStation

In all seriousness some serious contenders in there, but AstroBot brought me back to my OG PS/64 days of just playing and smiling such love went into every part, if they add a hard mode it will easily be in my top ten of all time as it's easiness is my only criticism

ap_puff

Unicorn Overlord not getting more love triggers me.

Edit: I haven't played a bunch of titles in the poll though, like Astrobot and Wukong.
Eh, unicorn overlord was a bit like FF16 to me. The gameplay was good but too easy, the story was ok, the side characters woefully underdeveloped, and the side quests were meh. I thought 13 sentinels was way better.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Erdtree.

Otherwise the metaphor refantazio demo.

After all that? I haven’t completed any games so nothing? This year can eat my ass.

Hopefully October has a stellar game for me to play and if not well path of exile 2 early access is end of year so I’m set.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

Suicide squad over concord? This list is fake.

Ronin worst visuals of the year? Ain’t no way. Have you seen the “clouds” in dragons dogma 2?

kevboard

It’s kind of funny to see how much better this game is than outlaws.

jup. Ubisoft's AAA games are just generic, dumbed down slop.
with small scale releases like this, they can let a team just make a good game and have a way lower risk due to a much lower budget.

also, whoever was responsible for the combat design in PoP needs to make more melee combat heavy games.
they got people on hand that are a very rare breed in the western game development sphere... people that can actually make melee combat on the level of japanese devs.

Jesb

jup. Ubisoft's AAA games are just generic, dumbed down slop.
with small scale releases like this, they can let a team just make a good game and have a way lower risk due to a much lower budget.

also, whoever was responsible for the combat design in PoP needs to make more melee combat heavy games.
they got people on hand that are a very rare breed in the western game development sphere... people that can actually make melee combat on the level of japanese devs.
Outlaws bored me to tears. Basically was forcing myself to play until I just said enough is enough. I started playing this gem more. Not very far but it’s fun so far.

nial

EGST_StoreLandscape_2560x1440_2560x1440-d49d4862a0e1a243638d5f95517ed205

nothing else came even close.

the amazing platforming, the amazing combat, the great puzzles, great Bosses.
one of the best Metroidvanias ever made for sure.
Haven't bought it, but nice to see someone mention it since I've heard a lot of good praise for it. It's Ubisoft's better release this year BY FAR.
Sad to see culture warriors going against it, though. Cringe shit.

MiguelItUp

Shadow of the Erdtree. There are a few I haven't played yet that I'm still interested in. But the one that I played the most that hit the hardest was definitely that.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
UFO 50, followed by Astro Bot. The crazy thing is that I've only tried about half of the UFO 50 games so far, but there's so much top-tier design there already.

Looking forward to trying Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown. I can see it being high on my list, and an enduring classic.

Top Bottom