• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your GotY so far? -- 2024 Vol. 2

Pick your GotY so far for 2024

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Pimpbaa

Definitely Stellar Blade. I hope Shift Up continues to make PlayStation games (and PC eventually). Quite a step up going from their mobile game Nikke to a fully 3d PS5 game. Didn’t have a bloated budget like so many woke Sony games have this gen apparently. I can’t believe they gave away so many outfits for free. I mean any other dev and they’d be charging for costume packs. This coming from a dev who made a few gacha games on mobile is crazy (in a good way). It’s also kinda weird how Sony was so involved in this.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
gonna cry tobey maguire GIF

Spider Man Crying GIF

I wanted Dragon's Dogma 2 to be #1 for me this year, but its flaws weigh it down too much. It was way too easy, the story was very flat, and the post-game format of restricting you to a finite number of rests before forcing you into the ending was no good.

Helldivers 2 with friends has been some of the most fun I've had in gaming in a long time. I've yet to play Rise of the Ronin, might start that after October. This month is horror games only.

ahtlas7

Gold Member
Hard call this year. I’ve had fun with some games but the only one I’ve stuck with is Visions Of Mana, it’s a super game that I’ll finish.

S0ULZB0URNE

Not including THEE GOTY Shadow of the Erdtree makes this poll garbage.

Heck Destiny 2's expansion is critically acclaimed as well.

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

Rise of the Ronin. You guys are missing out. It's like a better Ghost of Tsushima, because it's made by Japanese devs.
Haha, the hell I am. It supersedes goty and is simply magnificent. A true gem. It simply isn't recognized so that the children can have fun in gaming instead of letting the big brains and you and I make all the decisions. In a society like we have today, people aren't ready to understand that gaming isn't about pomp and circumstance but rather quality gameplay. Also, it's not just "Japanese devs" it's Team Fucking Ninja. They take they don't give. 11/10

Wukong, Unicorn, Astro, Erdtree are great too, but damn that Ronin is the clear hidden gem this year.

Muffdraul

Damn, I've barely played anything new this year. For a long time I was assuming Rebirth would be my GOTY, best FF in so many years, should have been essentially the FF model for the last two gens IMO. Definitely started to sag in the last couple big areas the jungle and the desert canyons, and making the final boss battle that many stages with zero checkpoints was a real dick move, but for the most part it was the best JRPG I've played in probably almost 20 years. All the way back to Xenosaga Ep 3.

But it's hard not to give it to Astro, by the time I finished it my face hurt from smiling so much. It was short and super derivative of Mario, but it was just so god damn good that doesn't matter.

nnytk

Eh, unicorn overlord was a bit like FF16 to me. The gameplay was good but too easy, the story was ok, the side characters woefully underdeveloped, and the side quests were meh. I thought 13 sentinels was way better.

I still have to play 13 sentinels, I've got both a PS4 and Switch copy 😅

Hmm. I think Unicorn Overlord resonated so well with me because of the unit customization and player freedom. It was far from perfect but Unicorn Overlord gave me something really different and imaginative with it's tactical gameplay and art style/animations. That's instant kudos from me ☺️

ap_puff

I still have to play 13 sentinels, I've got both a PS4 and Switch copy 😅

Hmm. I think Unicorn Overlord resonated so well with me because of the unit customization and player freedom. It was far from perfect but Unicorn Overlord gave me something really different and imaginative with it's tactical gameplay and art style/animations. That's instant kudos from me ☺️
Don't get me wrong I still think it's a 9/10 game solely based off of how good the gameplay feels, it's just there were a number of weaknesses that made it a "yeah, probably not goty" for me

Madflavor

Gold Member
If Rebirth stuck the landing with its ending, it’d be my GotY, but it left suck a bad taste in my mouth. Like someone farted and I couldn’t get the taste outta my tongue.

So for me it’s Stellar Blade. But we’ll see if SH2 Remake can take the spot.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Both Earth Defense Force 6 and UFO 50 deserve to be on the list. Well, maybe not EDF6 since that actually released years ago on Japan.

Voted Dogma 2. Even with all it's faults I can't deny I had a very good time playing through it.

Metaphor will probably end up being my GOTY tho.

Last edited:

Rocinante618

Neo Member
In no order:
  • Elden Ring DLC
  • Tactical Breach Wizards
  • Animal Well
  • Satisfactory
  • Prince of Persia, Lost Crown ( Steam release)
  • Dead Island 2 ( Steam )
  • Wukong
I enjoyed all of these and all are GOTY for me but if you will prod me further, I think it’s Animal Well with Erdtree or Wukong coming second.

Last edited:
Stellar Blade and Astro Bot will stick with me forever

Despite all the dooming there were a ton of new games I adored this year.

Granblue Relink as well deserves to be up there for charm alone.

Synastry

1. Astro Bot - wonderful game its been a while seen I had this much fun playing a game.

2. Stellar Blade - Loved every minute my only complain is the story and the length.

3. Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth - Better then remake and my 3rd favorite game this year my only complain is it has way to many mini games.:messenger_expressionless:

tommib

3. Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth - Better then remake and my 3rd favorite game this year my only complain is it has way to many mini games.:messenger_expressionless:
Can you skip them? I’ll get it for the Pro but I’m so afraid it’s going the be an orgy of bloat.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Out of the ones I played it was easily Black Myth Wukong.
The game surprised me in many ways. I was afraid it would turn out to be some sort of shallow tech demo with little quality behind it but it turned out to be one of my favorite action adventures/action RPGs of all time. The sheer amount of unique content and its variety was staggering. Not to mention its average quality.

I also enjoyed Space Marine 2 a lot and spent a bunch of hours playing it, but if I think even for just a minute "Would I be more excited about a Bm Wukong 2 or another Space Marine game?" I have to admit it's not even a contest.

Dragon's Dogma 2 on the other hand is a strong candidate for "disappointment of the year".

Last edited:
Top Bottom