• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack Snyder's Justice League |OT| Tell Me...Do You Still Bleed?

I hope WB doesn't REALLY believe people are going to subscribe to HBOMAX to see this thing... I mean really?

They do know torrents are a common thing, right?

sol_bad

I'll keep my hope up for JL 2 & 3. I'm sure Snyder will be able to finish his cycle IF ZSJL is a big hit. For the rest of your message I agree.

At the end, the numbers always wins

How will they know it's a big hit, it doesn't have a theatrical run and I doubt they'll gain enough new HBO Max subscribers to equal a proper box office hit.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
How will they know it's a big hit, it doesn't have a theatrical run and I doubt they'll gain enough new HBO Max subscribers to equal a proper box office hit.

They go by minutes (if not hours) of stream time. The subscriptions are one thing. The streaming numbers is what they go by. And THAT determines if it's a hit or not. Especially if it lasts past the first weekend or week in the top ten trending on the app. Just like Netflix, Disney+ and others do.

ManaByte

They go by minutes (if not hours) of stream time. The subscriptions are one thing. The streaming numbers is what they go by. And THAT determines if it's a hit or not. Especially if it lasts past the first weekend or week in the top ten trending on the app. Just like Netflix, Disney+ and others do.

HBO didn't spend $70M for streaming kudus. They spent $70M to get subs.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
HBO didn't spend $70M for streaming kudus. They spent $70M to get subs.
They also spent a ton on ALL the other movies coming to HBOMax day and date with theatrical. I don't know if you remember the crap show when they announced that... their partner studios, directors and actors were FURIOUS about it. Especially Nolan and Jenkins.

The amount of streams they'll get WORLDWIDE, along with the rental orders from out of the country, will be a huge boon.

The streaming numbers tell them how many are watching the movie. That determines a success. They've had a bump in subscriptions since announcement of the day and date releases...

and hype is building among the mainstream (whether is marketing or word of mouth, I can't say)... so that helps push people to anticipate and watch when it drops on the 18th and this weekend.

sol_bad

I don't think minutes or hours is going to tell them if the movie was a success. One person might lend their account to 3-5 different people so that one account will have 12-20 hours of Justice League watched. That will just look like the account holder watched it 3-5 times. It's not proving that they can make money from the film.
Sub increases are literally the only way to define if it is a success or not and if they only gain 5-10 million subs that's a massive failure.

*EDIT*
Of course, once they have a large enough user base they would then base it on watched time, that makes sense.
I know that HBO Max has about 40 million subscribers but from what I understand it's hard to tell how many new subscribers there are and how many activated subscribers there are. Activated meaning they were HBO Now users or have an HBO cable subscription.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I don't think minutes or hours is going to tell them if the movie was a success. One person might lend their account to 3-5 different people so that one account will have 12-20 hours of Justice League watched. That will just look like the account holder watched it 3-5 times. It's not proving that they can make money from the film.
Sub increases are literally the only way to define if it is a success or not and if they only gain 5-10 million subs that's a massive failure.

*EDIT*
Of course, once they have a large enough user base they would then base it on watched time, that makes sense.
I know that HBO Max has about 40 million subscribers but from what I understand it's hard to tell how many new subscribers there are and how many activated subscribers there are. Activated meaning they were HBO Now users or have an HBO cable subscription.

Right... Keep in mind that HBO Max JUST launched last year. Disney+ has like a YEAR on them. 40 Million is a good number as it's JUST here in the US. Disney+ has foreign markets now, too.

ManaByte

Right... Keep in mind that HBO Max JUST launched last year. Disney+ has like a YEAR on them. 40 Million is a good number as it's JUST here in the US. Disney+ has foreign markets now, too.

Disney+ is also half the price, which is why WM is working on an ad-supported HBO Max that'll be cheaper (but won't include the day-and-date movies).

ManaByte

"I added it because this was going to be the last movie I make for the DCU and to have this entire cinematic universe without Batman and Joker meeting up just felt weird," the filmmaker told the paper. "Jared [Leto] and I had a bunch of conversations about it. I had mentioned it to Ben and I was like, Ben, let’s just do it at my house. I could shoot it in the backyard. Don’t tell the studio and I’m not going to pay you guys. I’m just going to shoot it myself."

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

This guy is a troll. He already made a fool of himself a few month back and now he is doing it again. Fortunately, Jay Oliva put him back in its place:

Star Trek Lol GIF

ManaByte

This guy is a troll. He already made a fool of himself a few month back and now he is doing it again. Fortunately, Jay Oliva put him back in its place:

Star Trek Lol GIF

Man that storyboard artist sure showed him.

His one Tweet sure is triggering people:

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Man that storyboard artist sure showed him.
You kidding right ? I really hope you do.
Because yes, when a "film critic with more than 30 years of experience" misinterprets a term as basic as this one you lost all credibility and look ridiculous.
And Mr Jay Oliva realized The Flashpoint Paradox and The Dark Knight Returns, he is also a "little bit know" for his work on DC (some title are in French but anyway):

unknown.png

unknown.png

Byron Please GIF by zoefannet

pesaddict

Banned
Any news on what platform this will show on in the U.K

Or is it gonna be a private tracker jobby.

Edit: looks like Sky have it ffs🤦🏽‍♂️

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Any news on what platform this will show on in the U.K

Or is it gonna be a private tracker jobby.

Edit: looks like Sky have it ffs🤦🏽‍♂️

Yep. Sky have it, and you have to subscribe to their service to view it. No other way. No stand alone pay per view option.

Or, you know, pirate the shit out of it. Either way.

pesaddict

Banned
Yep. Sky have it, and you have to subscribe to their service to view it. No other way. No stand alone pay per view option.

Or, you know, pirate the shit out of it. Either way.
Now tv which have one of the shittest U.I's going🤬 will be showing it as well.

ManaByte

I genuinely want to absolutely believe that Snyder has knocked it out of the park, but I remember all these kinds of Twitter reviews prior to the embargo lifting for Batman V Superman that were exactly the same.
We went through this yesterday. Don’t bother.

sol_bad

Movie will be on a shitty streaming service in Oz called Binge, owned by our only cable company called Foxtel. So you'd think it would be good quality but many people say it has poor video quality.
I'll prob sub for a month but still download a proper 4K rip to get the best experience.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I expect it to be good. The plain truth is that in every instance I can think of, Snyder's movies are way better in their longer cuts.

To be honest I feel like the degree and frequency with which his work has been mauled by studio and MPAA interference has severely hurt his reputation as a filmmaker.

You look at the criticisms of his work and you'll note that chances are the faults mentioned lie in the edit, not the footage.

Top Bottom