• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack Snyder's Justice League |OT| Tell Me...Do You Still Bleed?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
So, ZSJL is better than the Josstice League, but somehow it has a worst rating ?

EwiKMI3WYAM9sog
EwiKMVSXIAMWUWL

Think Winona Ryder GIF by reactionseditor

Oh yes it's a Zack Snyder film so it's bad by definition.

Madflavor

So, ZSJL is better than the Josstice League, but somehow it has a worst rating ?

EwiKMI3WYAM9sog
EwiKMVSXIAMWUWL

That to me reads that she recognizes on a technical filmmaking level it's a better film, but Snyder's style isn't her cup of tea. That's the only way I think this makes sense, otherwise really poor wording on her part.

ManaByte

KE6sVsc.png

A lot of the reviews are commenting on how similar it is to the 2017 movie. Funny how people were attacked for saying that as recently as yesterday.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
A lot of the reviews are commenting on how similar it is to the 2017 movie. Funny how people were attacked for saying that as recently as yesterday.

Yep. It’s the same movie, but longer and a better. The only reason anyone kept saying it wasn’t was to distance it from Josstice League as much as possible. This is not a grand new event in cinema history. It‘s an improved director’s cut of a four year old film.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
"The ultimate climax of the DC superhero epic is one for the books, involving an electrifying turn of events executed by the film’s wise-cracking speedster and emotionally-driven Cyborg. It’s a fitting grand finale to a trilogy curated by Snyder, one that truly should’ve led to so much more."

Last edited:

ManaByte

PCGamesN speculates the confusion arose from a Google search. By searching "Ra's al Ghul symbol," a fan-created website pops up very early in Google Image search results, bearing the slightly-modified Halo logo. The website claims the logo is related to Ra's al Ghul's League of Shadows – which has seemingly, years later, led to a costume designer repurposing it for the movie.

A comment on that fan page now even references the apparent mistake, reading, "I can't believe this was accidentally made canon holy shit."

Aggelos

ManaByte

“It isn’t as easy as going into the vault and there’s a Snyder Cut sitting in there to put out,” Greenblatt said in the interview. “It does not exist. Zack is actually building it, and it’s complex, including—and I don’t want to get into too much detail that we haven’t already talked about yet—new FX shots. It’s a radical rethinking of that movie and it’s complicated and wildly expensive.”

In the aftermath of the news last week, sources told The Hollywood Reporter the Snyder cut could cost between $20 and $30 million to complete. When confronted with that pricetag, Greenblatt suggested $30 million might be more of a floor.

“I’ll just say I wish it was just $30 million and stop there,” he said in the interview. “It’s an enormous undertaking and very complex.”

ManaByte

I saw the theatrical release but I want to watch the extended version, is that it?

Yea the remastered is the Extended when they post it. The Ultimate Edition up right now is still the 16:9 Blu-Ray version. They're adding a 4:3 remastered version with corrected color timing on Thursday.

DeaDPo0L84

My, my, my. He gave it a fresh review.
qlX7U7i.png

I'm slightly confused, reading all your post it seems like because you're not too high on the film you're hoping you can rain on people's excitement to the point of even being bothered if people discuss the movie in a positive way.

Are you that emotionally invested in what other people choose to enjoy if it doesn't line up with your opinion?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Yea the remastered is the Extended when they post it. The Ultimate Edition up right now is still the 16:9 Blu-Ray version. They're adding a 4:3 remastered version with corrected color timing on Thursday.

I thought it was only for a physical release... I'm so glad it's going to be on HBOMax!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
HBO Max this week, digital/physical next week. The physical disc is Warner Archive (print on demand) so if you want one order ASAP as those can have delays.

Thanks! I'm watching all of them this weekend... And a Zoom watch party at 6pm with friends.

SafeOrAlone

Banned

EwiKMI3WYAM9sog
EwiKMVSXIAMWUWL

People seemed oddly forgiving of Justice League compared to other DCEU films. So many times when I heard "it was FUN" or "a step in the right direction", it felt hollow and a desperate way to not say the film sucked.
Almost as if audiences/critics felt responsible for the direction the franchise had taken after BvS and wanted to assure themselves that the were right to critique the previous films dour tone.

That's just my perception.

Last edited by a moderator:

skneogaf

I always enjoy zack snyder movies so I honestly can't wait to see this!

I'll be binning my joshtice league ASAP

His action scenes remind me of dragon ball z which I love and if there ever was another attempt at a dragon ball z movie zack snyder is the man.

LordCBH

HBO Max this week, digital/physical next week. The physical disc is Warner Archive (print on demand) so if you want one order ASAP as those can have delays.

Yup. You can Preorder on Amazon, which I did as soon as it went up but ship time for it is mid April. Probably cause of the print on demand thing.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I watched BvS again last night for the first time in a couple years. I still enjoy it, but my feelings are always mixed.
There is something so oppressive about these movies and I don't think it comes from the darkness of the storyline, but the coldness and un-likeability of so many characters.

When it comes to Batman, Superman, WW, and Alfred, I am pretty much sold. I can get into these versions of the characters well enough, especially visually.

Nearly everyone else is hard to be around. Lex, the Senator, the Martian Manhunter dude, the man who blows up the courthouse, etc. I find nearly all the side-characters unbearable.
I think for most of them it comes down to the script - so much of the dialogue really does feel self-important, pretentious, or unnatural. It's not clever, captivating dialogue like Tarantino does it. It's more like someone taking five minutes to send every text back so they can come up with something that sounds really deep, but it just sounds like they are trying too hard.
Here's just a few examples off the top of my head that sound dorky or unnatural in the given situation to me:

"With balls like that, you belong in here." (Martian Manhunter says to Lois when she questions him in the men's bathroom. Why the hell would MM say something like that? It makes me wince no matter who says it though.)

"I grew up on a farm - I know how to 'wrassle' a pig." (Nothing inherently wrong with this, but I find it cringe. Maybe it's the delivery or the fact that Senator has annoyed me too much by this point in the film)

"I can't even take a piss standing up" (man in wheelchair to senator when describing why he hates Superman. Could be delivery here too. It's just...too much.)

With Lex, my issues lean more towards the choices Eisenberg is making. His dialect and the way he adds a "hmm" or "ah" every sentence is so goofy. I respect that he is trying to give us a lively, fun character to watch on-screen, but the execution is awful. Then there is the granny's peach tee thing, which I just find...goofy and dumb. It's too much.

So yeah, it makes the movie a bit of a slog to get through. But every time that XL junkie score kicks in over a Superman montage or Batman action scene, I'm glued to the screen like a five year old on Saturday morning.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So how much of this is new material? I watched the trailer and it didn't look familiar, but I really don't remember much of the original cut.

Really looking forward to this. From what I hear, it is pretty cool and OTT in the usual Snyder way.

At first the grimdark stuff turned me off, but I quickly became a fan of how campy it was. Snyder has an eye for iconography, and while he can be a terrible storyteller, his cinematographer's eye brings a suitably epic mythical quality to these heroes. Man of Steel had a good amount of visual fantasy and emotional reality mixed in with the nonsense. I loved the sci fi Krypton stuff. Batman V Superman has a scene with mopey Superman where he says "Superman was never real" lol can you imagine? This is the ultimate black fingernail sad goth Hot Topic version of Superman. Hahaha I love it. Look we have had Batman flashing credit cards and sliding down the backs of dinosaurs like Fred Flintsone, let's see what we can do with Superman. I don't mind him dark now, and the Snyderverse makes sense for our cynical world.

The thought that Snyder was trying to fully set up some dark reality stuff is pretty interesting, looking forward to seeing some glimpses of that here. I suppose it is all a tease for a possible future episode? If the lockdowns continue then it's possible they will sign on for more, and maybe streaming content will somehow end up saving this project.

Very curious to hear Armond White's take on this. He loves DC verse.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Pretty clear why they don't consider this canon to the DCEU since it clashes with Aquaman (and that movie mad $1 billion).

Mera has a British accent in ZSJL, she doesn't in Aquaman.
They can't speak underwater in ZSJL, they need water bubbles (they communicate with clicks underwater in ZSJL).
Different Vulko.
Orm is already at war in ZSJL, when he starts the war in Aquaman.

Madflavor

Pretty clear why they don't consider this canon to the DCEU since it clashes with Aquaman (and that movie mad $1 billion).

Mera has a British accent in ZSJL, she doesn't in Aquaman.
They can't speak underwater in ZSJL, they need water bubbles (they communicate with clicks underwater in ZSJL).
Different Vulko.
Orm is already at war in ZSJL, when he starts the war in Aquaman.

Which is funny considering it's pretty clear at this point Zack's cut is the superior film.

If they do reboot, I don't even know if it's worth it at this point. The MCU is so unbelievably far ahead of them, it's really not even funny. Especially today with the future of Cinema in question, it really feels like it's too late.

Ulysses 31

Did I miss this detail somewhere in the movie or am I misunderstanding something?
The Anti-Life equation is on the primitive planet that fought back and managed to drive away Darkseid's forces, right?

So how could they ever forget the location of the only planet to managed to do that?

ManaByte

Did I miss this detail somewhere in the movie or am I misunderstanding something?
The Anti-Life equation is on the primitive planet that fought back and managed to drive away Darkseid's forces, right?

So how could they ever forget the location of the only planet to managed to do that?
christian bale batman GIF

Top Bottom