• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

At least I solved every puzzle but one or two bullshit ones by myself.

This happened to me, I got every puzzle on my own except 2. The Infirmary Gold File was really unintuitive imo, although I'm probably just biased against it since I gave up.

The second "puzzle" was the two lions passwords. I wrote one of the letters wrong so I kept getting a FAILURE message. And then when I caught that error I wrote them down in the wrong order so I kept getting it wrong. And then I thought that
JUMPYDOLL
must be the password for that one, and
the two gates they were referring to were the #9 door and the Warehouse B door
and would come into play later.

Jintor

I worked out the backwards logic.
Use the numbers on the bedspread, plug them back into the drawer puzzle, and use the cloth you find in there on the ADAM scanner

...I think.

After 23 hours I finally got my second character ending!
C
lover. Well that was... unexpected! lol!

I feel like there's a lot of revelations brewing under the surface, I have a few theories but I'm hoping the game will completely surprise me still when it comes to it!

This happened to me, I got every puzzle on my own except 2. The Infirmary Gold File was really unintuitive imo, although I'm probably just biased against it since I gave up.

The second "puzzle" was the two lions passwords. I wrote one of the letters wrong so I kept getting a FAILURE message. And then when I caught that error I wrote them down in the wrong order so I kept getting it wrong. And then I thought that
JUMPYDOLL
must be the password for that one, and
the two gates they were referring to were the #9 door and the Warehouse B door
and would come into play later.

I was thinking that
the two gates were two different user IDs, and that I should put Jumpydoll as the password with either one giving me a different result (I thought that's why the flow chart branched there).

It was a lot less complicated than I was making it out to be. I did run into an issue where I kept failing
a bomb deactivation
because I couldn't read my own shitty handwriting on one of them.

I was thinking that
the two gates were two different user IDs, and that I should put Jumpydoll as the password with either one giving me a different result (I thought that's why the flow chart branched there).

It was a lot less complicated than I was making it out to be. I did run into an issue where I kept failing
a bomb deactivation
because I couldn't read my own shitty handwriting on one of them.

The use of the word
gate
really threw me off. I ended up putting so many different user IDs for the two lions.
First KURASHIKI or whatever, then I thought maybe Phi already knew the ID so I used what she put there, then all sorts of random stuff like SEPTEMBER, JUNEKANNY, CHRISTMAS.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm starting to play 999...does this one lose charm in the transition from 2D to 3D, or gain it? The hand drawn art is something I think would be bad to lose.

Just got Luna's ending.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I have to say, after playing through all but two endings my favourite characters are K and Luna and my least favourites are Dio and Quark. This game is making me more attached to the characers than 999 did.

Am I the only person who immediately wanted to play Psychonauts after seeing the "TWO MILKMEN GO COMEDY" graffiti?

I'm starting to play 999...does this one lose charm in the transition from 2D to 3D, or gain it? The hand drawn art is something I think would be bad to lose.

I did prefer the 2D art, but I don't think any charm was lost. At first I was turned off by the 3D models but I was quickly won over. They probably look fantastic in the Vita version.

But I would probably prefer if they return to 2D for part 3. There is a possibility since the developers admitted the only reason they went 3D is because they didn't think the 3DS's 3D was possible with a 2 dimensional game for some reason.

Vibed

The thing about the 3D models in the 3DS versions is that even with 3D on, they look flat and 2D in front of an actually 3D background.

Just got Luna's ending.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I have to say, after playing through all but two endings my favourite characters are K and Luna and my least favourites are Dio and Quark. This game is making me more attached to the characers than 999 did.

Looking forward to your reactions during the true ending! :)

Looking forward to your reactions during the true ending! :)

I just got Quark's about a minute ago. It wasn't really that special, outside of the
Snake-like Terminator moment, especially since the big twist at the end was a bit of a minor point in other paths.

Also, they should call him Dick-O, amirite?
I'm sorry... ;(

I think my order of favourite endings so far is Luna > K > Alice > Sigma > Dio > Quark > Clover.

Only two more to go! I'll post my impressions tomorrow (at 30:26 playtime, for what it's worth).

Holy crap; I just had an epiphany regarding Quark's ending (I haven't played since I got it):

I was talking with my friend about 999 (which we've both beaten entirely), and we couldn't remember a certain plot detail. I Wikipedia'd it, and in the process came across Akane's last name (Kurashiki), which I had forgotten.

Kurashiki was the name on the ID card.

The passcode was JUMPYDOLL.

The old woman was wearing a purple turtleneck sweater.

CRAP'S GETTIN' REAL, FOLKS!

Holy crap; I just had an epiphany regarding Quark's ending (I haven't played since I got it):

I was talking with my friend about 999 (which we've both beaten entirely), and we couldn't remember a certain plot detail. I Wikipedia'd it, and in the process came across Akane's last name (Kurashiki), which I had forgotten.

Kurashiki was the name on the ID card.

The passcode was JUMPYDOLL.

The old woman was wearing a purple turtleneck sweater.

CRAP'S GETTIN' REAL, FOLKS!

You’re gonna love Tenmyouji’s ending! ^_^

Got 3 locks on the right path so I moved over to the far left, where things are progressing a little more smoothly. Also, holy crap, is someone a
robot
!? And why does
Quark
keep going
insane
? I'm so addicted to this game now!

Just got Tenmyouji's ending.

mother-of-god.gif

So many feels about this ending:

TENMYOLDY IS JUNPEI OH MY MOTHER CHUFFING GOD. Well played, Aksys. Well frigging played. Words cannot describe my reaction to the reveal in the Director's Office. It was so subtle and yet so awesomely hinted at throughout the game.

The reveal of Zero was kind of lame. He has a cool voice, but I thought he was supposed to be one of the 9 instead of the dude who bought the Gigantic (at least that's who I think it's supposed to be). Meh, I guess it's rather small potatoes considering the two other megatons that were dropped during this path.

I loved the Director's Room puzzle, but I hated the tangram. Hated, hated, hated, HATED it. I'm usually decent at tangram puzzles, but the frustrating, finnicky controls and awkward pieces made it more of a chore than a puzzle. I'd say it's up there with the Infirmary puzzle as one of the worst blue password puzzles in the game. I pity those who were playing the Vita version during this part; the lack of stylus must've been maddening.

It was nice to finally be able to interact with Quark, and now I've taken a bit of a shine to him. He's bright, but not to the point of being obnoxious; and his relationship with Junpei Tenmyouji was believable and nice. Overall a good use of an otherwise wasted character.

Finally... GET YO'SELF TO MARS! True ending, here I come!

Javier

*Grabs popcorn for ScraftyDevil's upcoming reactions*

I swear, reading people's reactions is half the fun of games like these.

*Grabs popcorn for ScraftyDevil's upcoming reactions*

I swear, reading people's reactions is half the fun of games like these.

Agreed! I think the poor guy's gonna implode or something!
Usually the common reaction to the true ending is expressed through colorful gifs and random letters typed on the keyboard!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I have a question related to 999; how many endings should I clear in order to familiarize myself with all the references of VLR? So far I've unlocked the Safe, Coffin, and True ending. Should I do some more before jumping to the sequel or is that enough?

I have a question related to 999; how many endings should I clear in order to familiarize myself with all the references of VLR? So far I've unlocked the Safe, Coffin, and True ending. Should I do some more before jumping to the sequel or is that enough?

Which rooms you didnt go?

Ice Mage

Neo Member
I just reached the PEC after 19 hours. I somehow was intelligent enough to not save since starting the middle branch, so I wanted to quickly back out of it and save in an AB Room or something, but the game had other plans and decided to freeze on the flowchart screen. Then the game kicked me out and the 3DS had to restart. Seriously, a freeze after about 3 seconds? This has got to be some kind of record. It really lived up to its reputation. Luckily my save is intact, but I then had to play through the whooole middle path (yay for mashing A during the novel sequences I couldn't skip) to get to the PEC again... Now I'm so scared of it :/

I guess I'll just use a walkthrough and try solving it as quickly as possible...

[/generic PEC rant]

Javier

For the record, you can save anywhere (even in the PEC) provided you are in Novel mode. Once you enter Escape mode (triggered by the "Seek a Way Out" screen), then you should avoid saving.

Ice Mage

Neo Member
For the record, you can save anywhere (even in the PEC) provided you are in Novel mode. Once you enter Escape mode (triggered by the "Seek a Way Out" screen), then you should avoid saving.

Really? I read somewhere that even if one is visiting a puzzle room during a novel section and then saves, the save might be corrupted, meaning that one should only save in warehouses/AB Rooms/corridors... Confusing, now I don't know which is correct.

Anyway, time to tackle PEC again! Urgh.

Edit: PEC was kinder to me this time. Didn't freeze this time or anything. Done with it FOREVER! Shameful that such a problematic room even exists, though.

Javier

Really? I always though the crashes were related to the Escape sections, since that's were the game lags and the framerate goes bonkers.

Really? I always though the crashes were related to the Escape sections, since that's were the game lags and the framerate goes bonkers.

I guess I'm lucky, because the only times I experienced technical issues were when the game froze thrice on the Archives' dice puzzle. Other than that, no framerate issues, no crashing, and certainly no corruption. I thought my game was borked during the unresponsive tangram puzzle, but apparently I wasn't the only one who had issues with that.

(I still haven't had time to do the True ending, but I'll be sure to post live updates when I do!)

Alrus

So got Clover's and K's ending tonight (along with 2 game over and 1 to be continued), slightly confused but it's all going to be clear later I know.

Also noticed a small plothole(or maybe not?) during K's ending
When you first hear the noises in the hallway along with Phi, then go and check the elevator, it takes some time to open and that's why they conclude the person who made the noises went downstair, then they discover dio's dead... When you find out it was K who did it, you explain how he did so, but if he did as Sigma explained, the elevator shouldn't have been downstair when Phi and Sigma went to check it out... Oh well it's probably a minor thing anyway.

Spierek

When you find out it was K who did it, you explain how he did so, but if he did as Sigma explained, the elevator shouldn't have been downstair when Phi and Sigma went to check it out... Oh well it's probably a minor thing anyway.

Actually, that one is easy.
K pushes the button, gets out of the elevator, it rides down on its own
. If it closes so slowly, then I think it would be possible.

Just finished the
Quantum Room. Good lord; that dice puzzle almost drove me to madness. I'm glad it's done and over with.

The story's starting to heat up now!
Now it's time to go back...

IN TIME!

Torture and Confinement rooms.

Room 2?

You will miss
the backstory for Lotus and Seven connection in the Nonary game but in the true ending you will get it anyway i think

Also
no matter what, after those rooms you get the sub ending.

Did you go in Room 3?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Room 2?

You will miss
the backstory for Lotus and Seven connection in the Nonary game but in the true ending you will get it anyway i think

Also
no matter what, after those rooms you get the sub ending.

Did you go in Room 3?
Yeah, I *just* completed Room 3. I should clarify that I already started my fourth playthrough to attain the Sub ending. I might as well just finish the next two rooms to get the back story.

But do the endings themselves matter or add anything to the story? Actual rooms notwithstanding, does any relevant happens in the Knife, Axe, and Sub endings that might offer some backstory in an indirect* way?

*(since they're not the true ending)

Yeah, I *just* completed Room 3. I should clarify that I already started my fourth playthrough to attain the Sub ending. I might as well just finish the next two rooms to get the back story.

But do the endings themselves matter or add anything to the story? Actual rooms notwithstanding, does any relevant happens in the Knife, Axe, and Sub endings that might offer some backstory in an indirect* way?

*(since they're not the true ending)

No since you got the True ending you will understand them. But I encourage you to see the Axe ending.

You want to know where the Nonary Game takes place?

I know where you can find out!

You can find out
ON THE MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SIIIIIIIIGMAAAAAAAAAAA!

You want to know where the Nonary Game takes place?

I know where you can find out!

You can find out
ON THE MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SIIIIIIIIGMAAAAAAAAAAA!

lolololol it begins!

Top Bottom