• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
999 wasn't normal the minute I realized it was set on one of the Titanic's sister ships. I guess I didn't have much of an issue with the supernatural elements as I had already suspended my disbelief.

TheExodu5

Banned
My issue with 999's story wasn't exactly the supernatural elements...it was that the character's motivations did not really feel believable. That Akane told her friends her story and they believed her and helped her establish such an elaborate and dangerous scenario did not feel believable at all to me.

Even though I liked a lot of 999, all the little things added up and soured me quite a bit on the game...the story, the repetition, the heavy handed dialog, the lack of challenging puzzles.

Thankfully it seems like a lot of this is remedied in VLR.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
The intro of the sec
urity room is destroying me.. Can't figure out anything past the letters/light switch/timekeeper with numbers on them. Jesus.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The intro of the sec
urity room is destroying me.. Can't figure out anything past the letters/light switch/timekeeper with numbers on them. Jesus.

Enter the passwords on the computer panels. The corresponding chair color to the color shown on the stairs when you turned off the lights.

Necrovex

Grrrr, Alice betrayed me, and I placed my trust in her! I just reached the garden puzzle, I'm going to take a slight break and see if I can get through that puzzle without hitting any major hiccups like I did with the cabin puzzle.

The game is great so far. I am in love with it during the novel section.

I am still bummed that Sigma doesn't have any voice-acting. The OVA led me to false expectations. :-(

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Enter the passwords on the computer panels. The corresponding chair color to the color shown on the stairs when you turned off the lights.
LOL. I was over thinking it by a long shot. I was integrating the numbers I found with those letters. Figures! Thank you.

999 wasn't normal the minute I realized it was set on one of the Titanic's sister ships. I guess I didn't have much of an issue with the supernatural elements as I had already suspended my disbelief.

In the beginning I wanted 999 to be "normal", I usually hate paranormal things.
So, when the ending unfolded, I was like: uhm... Ok...
But since it was a deep and emotional story, it quickly grew on me!

UberTag

I mean from the onset.
Like if you just start out, everyone's pretty normal, and it's just a mystery thing.

But here, you start out with people whose real names are like Sigma and Phi, Zero is a rabbit, and there's a robot with amnesia.
Yes, I know that, I'm just being dramatic to show the clear contrast.
And honestly, the actuality isn't really any less dramatic.
Even the contrasts you highlighted aren't that extreme. They're evident on the surface but superficial once you dig into them.

The talking rabbit is simply the visual representation of an A.I. script.
Provides a more concrete antagonist than a disembodied Zero voice recording over a loud speaker... but hardly a "fantastic" element.

K is a guy trapped in an outfit. Has no memory like Seven. The outfit itself isn't much more of a stretch than being trapped in a bracelet with a bomb detonator or suicide needles comprised within it. Strikes me as more an evolution of a 999 concept than a fantastic element... although I worry that concealing K's identity is going to be more of a plot device to throw off us gamers than it will serve as a logical decision within VLR's Ambidex game. Clearly I'll discover whether or not that's the case as I play further.

As for the names Phi and Sigma... yeah, they're a little odd. I'm assuming there's some logical rationale behind them being named after letters in the Greek alphabet that we're to discover through our journey with the game.

Fack... I need to play this game. Hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow after my tests.

Also my class recently covered how to win at the Prisoner's Dilemma. So I'm excite to try it out.

- Start off Cooperative
- Play whatever your opponent played against you last
- Be instantly forgiving

Aeana

I dunno, maybe I'm just too sensitive/being picky, but I've noticed at least 3 typos and I only just finished the first puzzle. It's distracting, if nothing else.

Necrovex

Stuck on a puzzle, help please! I am in B. Garden right now, and I am attempting to figure out the stars. I'm a little stumped on this one. I think it has to involve the lion mosaic, but I don't see the connection. And I still must find the key to the tombstone!

Edit: I just found the use for the lever, so let's see how this helps me.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Stuck on a puzzle, help please! I am in B. Garden right now, and I am attempting to figure out the stars. I'm a little stumped on this one. I think it has to involve the lion mosaic, but I don't see the connection. And I still must find the key to the tombstone!

Order from biggest to smallest and then smallest to biggest for both passwords.

Are the English voiceovers good?

I like every one except for Clover's.

Esura

Banned
Someone needs to edit that Sigma gif with a ban button for me.

That...would be hilarious.

My gif editing skills suck or I would of done it. :(

Fack... I need to play this game. Hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow after my tests.

Also my class recently covered how to win at the Prisoner's Dilemma. So I'm excite to try it out.

- Start off Cooperative
- Play whatever your opponent played against you last
- Be instantly forgiving

If you don't mind me asking, what is a Prisoner's Dilemma?

If you don't mind me asking, what is a Prisoner's Dilemma?

It is a game scenario where two criminals are brought in for interrogation.

Prisoner A and Prisoner B.

If both prisoners cooperate, both get 1 year in jail.

If both prisoners tattle, both get 10 years.

If Prisoner A does not tattle, while Prisoner B does: A gets 30 years. B gets 5 years.

and vice versa.

Now you are Prisoner A. Do you tattle on B or keep silent? If you only play once, you should always tattle. If you play multiple times though, different strategies have different expected results. The best strategy seems to be Tit for Tat, the strategy I outlined.

edit:

Hmm I'll give the English voices a try.

Aeana

Clover is Wendee Lee aka female JYB. She's about the same as always, so if you don't like her, you won't like her here.
I guess kinda the same for Laura Bailey. She's pretty much using her Serah voice, so if you don't like that, you won't like it either.

Esura

Banned
Um, what the dick? This revelation on my first route is crazy as fuck.

It is a game scenario where two criminals are brought in for interrogation.

Prisoner A and Prisoner B.

If both prisoners cooperate, both get 1 year in jail.

If both prisoners tattle, both get 10 years.

If Prisoner A does not tattle, while Prisoner B does: A gets 30 years. B gets 5 years.

and vice versa.

Now you are Prisoner A. Do you tattle on B or keep silent? If you only play once, you should always tattle. If you play multiple times though, different strategies have different expected results. The best strategy seems to be Tit for Tat, the strategy I outlined.

edit:

Hmm I'll give the English voices a try.

Wtf? That sounds just like the Ambidex Game!

Law enforcements doesn't actually...do this do they?

TheExodu5

Banned

I highly doubt it. Law enforcement would rather get the most years out of the criminals as possible...once they get person ratting on the other, that's all they need.

Busaiku

I ended up choosing the leftmost path, so I figure I'm just gonna need go left to right, since the rightmost path is the true end anyways.

That's cause the Ambidex Game is all Prisoner's Dilemma.

Belisarius

Neo Member

No, not so far as I know. To quote from Wikipedia: "The prisoner's dilemma is a canonical example of a game analyzed in game theory that shows why two individuals might not cooperate, even if it appears that it is in their best interests to do so."

Necrovex

Order from biggest to smallest and then smallest to biggest for both passwords.

Hmmmm, you're right on the first one, but when I flip flop the order to smallest-to-biggest, I am receiving a "failed" message. The order should be green (smallest), purple (second smallest), yellow (medium size) , blue (second largest), red (largest). However, this order isn't work.

Eusis

I highly doubt it. Law enforcement would rather get the most years out of the criminals as possible...once they get person ratting on the other, that's all they need.
I figure the closest would be a few years shaved off anyway, nothing as extreme as 2 years instead of 15 or whatever. And that'd probably apply to BOTH tattling since it's probably going to bring down others that weren't identified or found. Well, so I'd imagine anyway.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hmmmm, you're right on the first one, but when I flip flop the order to smallest-to-biggest, I am receiving a "failed" message. The order should be green (smallest), purple (second smallest), yellow (medium size) , blue (second largest), red (largest). However, this order isn't work.

You did this one already, right? -> Red, blue, yellow, purple, green.

MooMoo

Yup, that was the first order I did and met with success. The other way is not working though.
Try ordering them by order of appearance. The one closest to the entrance is first, last one is the one that pops up where the lion face is.

Koroviev

My issue with 999's story wasn't exactly the supernatural elements...it was that the character's motivations did not really feel believable. That Akane told her friends her story and they believed her and helped her establish such an elaborate and dangerous scenario did not feel believable at all to me.

Even though I liked a lot of 999, all the little things added up and soured me quite a bit on the game...the story, the repetition, the heavy handed dialog, the lack of challenging puzzles.

Thankfully it seems like a lot of this is remedied in VLR.

I agree with this. While I appreciate all of the thought that went into making everything come together logically, certain motives are just way too far-fetched.

Necrovex

Try ordering them by order of appearance. The one closest to the entrance is first, last one is the one that pops up where the lion face is.

Eureka! That did the trick. I went with the furthest star (purple) and built up to the lion (red).

I appreciate the help, MooMoo and Kagari.Time to continue on with the game!...After I charge my Vita up.

Esura

Banned
Did my first ending (the
-----Dio-----
one) and...I don't know what the hell I just looked at but...I have to play more now. T_T

Oh, ok. I was getting scared for a minute. Not that I'm doing anything illegal to be caught up with the men (women) in blue of course.

Lol no. No law enforcement I know does this.

And yes it sounds like the Ambidex Game because the game is just one big Prisoner's Dilemma. :)

I ended up choosing the leftmost path, so I figure I'm just gonna need go left to right, since the rightmost path is the true end anyways.

That's cause the Ambidex Game is all Prisoner's Dilemma.

Ah...cool. They should incorporate that Dilemma in a new Saw movie.

No, not so far as I know. To quote from Wikipedia: "The prisoner's dilemma is a canonical example of a game analyzed in game theory that shows why two individuals might not cooperate, even if it appears that it is in their best interests to do so."

So it only reinforces the "snitches get stitches" and "stay silent and I get violent" thing I hear from people?

GSR

Finished replaying 999's True End. There are a few moments that could've been paced better, but it's still got some really incredible stuff.

Took note of a couple different ideas on my way through that may or may not pop up in VLR. Will be interesting to see if I was paying attention to the right stuff.

Now here's hoping UPS does my part of town early tomorrow...

Aeana

I didn't really see what was so great about Zero's English voice work at first, but now I am a believer. A very good performance, indeed.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Did my first ending (the
-----Dio-----
one) and...I don't know what the hell I just looked at but...I have to play more now. T_T

Oh, ok. I was getting scared for a minute. Not that I'm doing anything illegal to be caught up with the men (women) in blue of course.

Ah...cool. They should incorporate that Dilemma in a new Saw movie.

So it only reinforces the "snitches get stitches" and "stay silent and I get violent" thing I hear from people?

I hope you listened to what Phi said to remember at the end of it.

Top Bottom