• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Either way, stupid as fuck of Negan to kill 1 of "2" doctors.

I have a PhD in biology and I don't think you'd want to trust me with anything more than salvaging organs from a corpse. There are years of specialized training separating surgical MDs from PHDs, I don't know what Negan is thinking.

ZOONAMI

I have a PhD in biology and I don't think you'd want to trust me with anything more than salvaging organs from a corpse. There are years of specialized training separating surgical MDs from PHDs, I don't know what Negan is thinking.

Right. Either way it comes down on Eugene, as Negan will say why the fuck didn't you tell me you weren't an MD.

Eugene never said that he was, but he threw out Doctor and that's all that will matter. He also should have spoken up the minute Negan said good thing we have another doctor after killing the doctor. Like, hey, I never said I was an MD bro (or at least in private). Publically yelling it out would have been instant death.

Negan clearly doesn't have an issue killing someone he thinks is disposable so Eugene will immediately largely become disposable the minute it's clear he can't patch people up.

At the same time if someone tells you they worked on the human genome project I suppose a lot of people would assume you are in fact an MD as well, if not highly specialized.

dustyherb

I'm guessing most people haven't noticed that the Doc that died in this episode was related to the Doc at The Hilltop. Negan said to Dwight after he died, "a good thing we got a spare Dr. Carson." Seems like they are going to take the Dr. from The Hilltop.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
To my utter surprise, I actually liked this episode. Most of it was stuff the viewer already knew, but it was nice to have something a little different. Instead of Negan interacting with some stiff lipped badass, he went face to face with Eugene.

ZOONAMI

To my utter surprise, I actually liked this episode. Most of it was stuff the viewer already knew, but it was nice to have something a little different. Instead of Negan interacting with some stiff lipped badass, he went face to face with Eugene.

I also feel like JDM has toned down the overacting a bit and like him a bit more as Negan now. Still would help if he did some personal training to put on 20lbs or so, but I like his character a bit more now than earlier in the season.

ohhh no is he gonna start bullshitting again

this is a complaint i mentally make every time I see negan and that's that he just doesn't look as intimidating as they made him out to be in the comics. they should have made the actor work out more or went with an actor that physically looked bigger.

also, not sure if i can call eugene my favorite character anymore if he's on board as a savior now.

wtf dwight? you coward fuck got the doctor killed to protect your own lying ass? why did he do that?

I agree that I still have a double take with JDM playing a character who has physically terrorized an entire county, basically, into giving him whatever he wants (and I'm partly thinking of that scene between Dwight and that guy who took off from the Saviors camp, on the highway, where the other guy said 'why did we let this guy with a bat take over?').

I realize it's Hollywood and almost every leading actor type is expected to be super skinny, but when JDM turns sideways he looks like a strong wind would kick his ass.

Angry Fork

I don't really get Eugene. He's obviously a bullshitter, and he admitted this himself, but he does know quite a bit of scientific knowledge, more than the average person. Not only enough to bullshit people but to do actual practical things. It kind of negates his con in my opinion from a writing perspective when you give him so much intelligence that he supposedly doesn't have.

I also feel like it's a bit of a stretch to say he's learning these things just from reading random books along the way, especially when most books are gone. Like yea he doesn't have those degrees but he seems to be able to MacGuyver his way out of any situation. Maybe the show will have him fail eventually though and the con will fall apart.

Also not sure if the girls who propositioned Eugene were spies for Negan or if they really did want to put him away. Guess we'll see soon.

Really good episode imo after a long string of boring filler. Based on preview looks like next ep will be back to lame shit unfortunately. Wish showrunners had more power so they could stop this dumb AMC 20 episode split season thing and do a 10-12 ep single season like real shows do.

Mediking

ohhh no is he gonna start bullshitting again

this is a complaint i mentally make every time I see negan and that's that he just doesn't look as intimidating as they made him out to be in the comics. they should have made the actor work out more or went with an actor that physically looked bigger.

also, not sure if i can call eugene my favorite character anymore if he's on board as a savior now.

wtf dwight? you coward fuck got the doctor killed to protect your own lying ass? why did he do that?

Eugene isn't dumb. He's playing a role. He doesn't wanna die... he's on Rick's team still.

And Dwight is... well.... his survival ways are pretty harsh but I think he did it to protect Daryl.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I also feel like JDM has toned down the overacting a bit and like him a bit more as Negan now.

He clearly acts more normal when he's at The Sanctuary and around his own people. The theatrics are amplified when he's interacting with outsiders. (which parallels the situation with Ezekiel, somewhat)

Realeza

Banned
I don't know what was sadder last episode: being stuck with a freakin' Atari of all consoles or not being able to engage in coitus with those attractive ladies.

Eugene isn't dumb. He's playing a role. He doesn't wanna die... he's on Rick's team still.

And Dwight is... well.... his survival ways are pretty harsh but I think he did it to protect Daryl.
Eugene isn't dumb he's a coward and every fuckin body knows it.

As for Dwight, the fuck does Daryl have to do with that? The suspicion there is that his wife let Daryl go and he didn't continue looking for her, or tell Negan or the doctor the truth so he was either covering his own ass or hers even though she's still out there.

So fuck him.

Mediking

Eugene isn't dumb he's a coward and every fuckin body knows it.

As for Dwight, the fuck does Daryl have to do with that? The suspicion there is that his wife let Daryl go and he didn't continue looking for her, or tell Negan or the doctor the truth so he was either covering his own ass or hers even though she's still out there.

So fuck him.

You sound bitter as hell.

Eugene. Isnt. A. Coward. He's. Playing. A. Role.

hokahey

Jeffrey Dean Morgan does an ok job, but Negan should have been much, much bigger. He's a big stupid jock with some sympathetic qualities in the comic. He's not as "cool" as this Negan. His language being so limited on the show also hurts as you don't giggle at him as often, if at all. His size and stupidity in the comic also makes him even more intimidating.

You sound bitter as hell.

Eugene. Isnt. A. Coward. He's. Playing. A. Role.

Whynotboth.gif

It's conceivable that Eugene is pissed over the death of Abraham (and that he got someone else killed over his bullet forging) and is playing the long game here.

But I think, based on what we've seen, there's an equally good chance he's covering his ass in case Rick & co don't pull through. He is a pragmatist at the end of the day.

Whynotboth.gif

It's conceivable that Eugene is pissed over the death of Abraham (and that he got someone else killed over his bullet forging) and is playing the long game here.

But I think, based on what we've seen, there's an equally good chance he's covering his ass in case Rick & co don't pull through. He is a pragmatist at the end of the day.

This.

Also, episode was funny af. Eugene's antics made Negan's fake menacing lame-ness moot.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Have to say just watched and i got a kick out of Eugene being a slimy little shit. Dude is playing everyone. Only question is if he still has any sense of morality and loyalty to Rick and co

Whynotboth.gif

Yeah, I mean from the beginning Eugene has always been about taking the path that just keeps him alive. Right now going along with Negan is whats keeping him alive.

Count me in at how stupid it is Negan got rid of that doctor. Just dumb.

Sadist

Eugene playing the long game.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit that he's scouting the area, taking notes, coming up with strategies and thinking how to hit Negan hard.

Alpende

I really liked the episode. Negan is a joy to watch and the scene with Dwight in his old home was well done imo. I'm also liking the way they handle Eugene, bullshitting his way through the ranks and whatnot.

jm89

I hope his planning something and not just saying fuck it and side himself with negan or else rosita will probably the one to put his ass down first.

Why the fuck would anyone think Eugene would side with Negan after what he did to Abraham. Not to mention rick and co saving his ass multiple times. Eugene playing that long game, he knows how to con his way to victory.

Chumley

Banned
I agree that I still have a double take with JDM playing a character who has physically terrorized an entire county, basically, into giving him whatever he wants (and I'm partly thinking of that scene between Dwight and that guy who took off from the Saviors camp, on the highway, where the other guy said 'why did we let this guy with a bat take over?').

I realize it's Hollywood and almost every leading actor type is expected to be super skinny, but when JDM turns sideways he looks like a strong wind would kick his ass.

Actually, leading actors are almost never as skinny as JDM is right now. They're usually built. Hell, he was built in Watchmen.

I have no idea why he's still so thin, actors put on size for roles all the time and this is his biggest role to date. Gaining weight is not difficult, and I can't imagine the showrunners think Negan is somehow more menacing being lanky. His whole persona is about intimidation.

you know something don't you

Haven't you been paying attention to Eugene's character arc over the last few seasons?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Actors usually put on or lose major weight for films roles where there is a lot of lead time before filming. Casting for TV means getting someone as is. That's why everyone is always trying slim down and tone up before pilot season.

And honestly...It does the job. I wouldn't have a guy his age trying to strenuously bulk up quick for this show, it's not that serious.

Chumley

Banned
Actors usually put on or lose major weight for films roles where there is a lot of lead time before filming. Casting for TV means getting someone as is. That's why everyone is always trying slim down and tone up before pilot season. TV is casting for how you look now.

But hasn't JDM been on the show for close to a year now? Takes a month or two tops to put on 20 pounds.

Actually, leading actors are almost never as skinny as JDM is right now. They're usually built. Hell, he was built in Watchmen.

I have no idea why he's still so thin, actors put on size for roles all the time and this is his biggest role to date. Gaining weight is not difficult, and I can't imagine the showrunners think Negan is somehow more menacing being lanky. His whole persona is about intimidation.

Haven't you been paying attention to Eugene's character arc over the last few seasons?

I think if anything is gonna make you shed a few pounds in a few years it's going to be a walking dead like crisis. I mean I doubt there's a McDonalds in sanctuary.

Like I'm glad he's not a hulk with an unrealistic Kharl Drogo body. Everyone should be at least semi half starved at this point and he doesn't seem that much of a glutton.

I get Sanctuary probably does have the means but I dunno if pumping irons is gonna be the best choice of your time in the post apocalypse.

bidguy

Banned
Why the fuck would anyone think Eugene would side with Negan after what he did to Abraham. Not to mention rick and co saving his ass multiple times. Eugene playing that long game, he knows how to con his way to victory.

because hes a scaredy cat. hes close to shitting his pants whenever negan is around and knows exactly how big the saviors are now, its not that far fetched to believe he chose the winning team (for now)

edit: i bet he stashed the pills inside that stuffed monkey. i guess it could be possible that hes just waiting for the right moment but his behavior in negans presence doesnt suggest that

near

Gold Member

I don't think Negan necessarily has to be big and menacing to be intimidating. I don't read the comics but I'd assume he'd be much bigger perhaps to aid the visual interpretation of he's ruthlessness. But I think the show does a good job at conveying Negan's intimidation through other characters, while JDM is also able to realise those characteristics with the way he executes he's lines and those bad ass monologues.

ZNpL6EW.gif

of course i have. season 4 was his introduction, season 5 was his exposure & start to his redemption (saving Tara, helping Glenn, Noah and Nicholas escape), season 6 was him being cocky and arrogant at being adept (he wasn't) even though he was willing to take one for the team when he drove the trailer and it all ended for nothing,

so what am I supposed to think of him now? his development isn't really conclusive to the way his character has been built.
I think if anything is gonna make you shed a few pounds in a few years it's going to be a walking dead like crisis. I mean I doubt there's a McDonalds in sanctuary.

Like I'm glad he's not a hulk with an unrealistic Kharl Drogo body. Everyone should be at least semi half starved at this point and he doesn't seem that much of a glutton.

I get Sanctuary probably does have the means but I dunno if pumping irons is gonna be the best choice of your time in the post apocalypse.
well, Tyreese managed to stay brolic all series long. Plus none of the main characters have yellow teeth. In fact there was that one episode with all the girls where this one chick had white teeth, they were so super white they were practically sparkling on the camera.

things like this really don't have a bearing on the "realism" the show goes for because it is all still fictional and fake.
I don't think Negan necessarily has to be big and menacing to be intimidating. I don't read the comics but I'd assume he'd be much bigger perhaps to aid the visual interpretation of he's ruthlessness. But I think the show does a good job at conveying Negan's intimidation through other characters, while JDM is also able to realise those characteristics with the way he executes he's lines and those bad ass monologues.

ZNpL6EW.gif
I dunno man, I didn't even read the comics but for some reason I feel like Negan's mannerisms on the show aren't really a reflection of his comic roots. Other than the outfit and what others think about him there's not much of a resemblance.

But just based off of his physical appearance it's not convincing how he has gotten to intimidate all these other people but if he looked more like he was supposed to perhaps I would. As petty as that sounds.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
To quote game of Thrones (which is taken from the book, not the awful show script), "Power resides where men believe it resides. It's a trick, a shadow on the wall. And a very small man, can cast a large shadow."

Basically Negan is a charmastic, scary guy who bashes people's brains in with a bat. I'm sure the show is just waiting to give everyone that Negan backstory. In fact I think the comic is doing that right now. It will probably be shown next season and then finally the "complaints" about it can stop. Also for those claiming it's still unrealistic for a man like Negan to be in power...history has loads of examples of these type of people, it's not that much of a stretch to believe it could happen in a post-apocalyptic zombie world.

To quote game of Thrones (which is taken from the book, not the awful show script), "Power resides where men believe it resides. It's a trick, a shadow on the wall. And a very small man, can cast a large shadow."
Indeed, but they obviously were not trying to depict Negan as a "very small man" casting a large shadow. JDM is 6'2", so really they should have gone the extra mile and made him lift weights.

Basically Negan is a charmastic, scary guy who bashes people's brains in with a bat. I'm sure the show is just waiting to give everyone that Negan backstory. In fact I think the comic is doing that right now. It will probably be shown next season and then finally the "complaints" about it can stop. Also for those claiming it's still unrealistic for a man like Negan to be in power...history has loads of examples of these type of people, it's not that much of a stretch to believe it could happen in a post-apocalyptic zombie world.
not that it's unrealistic to see him in power, it's just that he physically just does not look that imposing, and that's a quality he does have in the comic

WaffleTaco

Indeed, but they obviously were not trying to depict Negan as a "very small man" casting a large shadow. JDM is 6'2", so really they should have gone the extra mile and made him lift weights.

not that it's unrealistic to see him in power, it's just that he physically just does not look that imposing, and that's a quality he does have in the comic
I wasn't trying to really say he was small, just trying to explain, that his size doesn't really matter. It doesn't matter if he looks imposing or not.

I wasn't trying to really say he was small, just trying to explain, that his size doesn't really matter. It doesn't matter if he looks imposing or not.
if there's a considerable amount of people complaining about it then I'd say it does. If it doesn't bother you and others that's fine, but I think it's a legitimate complaint, especially given how in the past there have been characters with mass like Tyreese

WaffleTaco

if there's a considerable amount of people complaining about it then I'd say it does. If it doesn't bother you and others that's fine, but I think it's a legitimate complaint, especially given how in the past there have been characters with mass like Tyreese
And Tyreese was a gigantic Teddy Bear. I just don't think Negan needs to be some huge linebacker. I like it better this way. He uses his charisma more than his strength in order to intimidate.

And Tyreese was a gigantic Teddy Bear. I just don't think Negan needs to be some huge linebacker. I like it better this way. He uses his charisma more than his strength in order to intimidate.
my point with Tyreese being brolic is that this whole "lack of food/malnourished status should mean nobody has muscle" doesn't hold weight if there were characters with stature like that. If you like it better this way then great, you got what you want, but his charisma isn't enough for me to find his intimidation convincing tbh

ZeoVGM

Banned
Just watched last week's episode. That whole thing with the trash people was incredibly dumb. Bad CG, pushing Rick into the pit made me legitimately laugh, awkward dialogue, annoying Rosita, more secret-hiding to keep Carol a completely useless character 10 episodes into the season.

Ugh.

Just watched last week's episode. That whole thing with the trash people was incredibly dumb. Bad CG, pushing Rick into the pit made me legitimately laugh, awkward dialogue, annoying Rosita, more secret-hiding to keep Carol a completely useless character 10 episodes into the season.

Ugh.
yeah you summed it up pretty well but at least we know what's going on with Rick. In the most recent episode Rick isn't there at all.

Jacknapes

Eugene most likely is biding his time. He's not as stupid as we think he is, after all he's suggested to Negan melting down metal and sticking the Walkers to the wall to prevent them from disintegrating. Either it's a smart way to stop them from falling to bits, or it's a smart tactic to get them staying still ready for a Rick and Co invasion. They know there's a Walker wall, Carl, Jesus and Daryll would have confirmed this.

Top Bottom