• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachack

Fredescu said:
I didn't like it at all SP. The handling is far too anemic. It's definitely a kart racer. I much preferred stuff like Dirt 2, Split/Second, and Flaout: Ultimate Carnage. Maybe it's fun in MP, but I couldn't recommend it for SP when there are so many better arcade racer options.
Considering I have both Dirt 2 and Flatout (and GRID) and never installed them I guess I'll pass on Blur. Thanks for the info.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
God, I'm such a filthy whore. After buying Mafia II thanks to Amazon, I decided to buy Mafia 1 as well to hold me over til I can play II.

Including the gifting, I'm at like $80 spent for just today. No more, dammit, no more.

Cipherr

I knew I was forgetting something, damn I should have gotten Blur instead. Wonder if its playable online. Thats been on my list for a while, I tried to remember what I was forgetting before I started buying but it just didnt come to mind. :lol

Wallach said:
That conversation is always pretty straightforward for me:

Kaiden: Save her, I knew what I signed up for when I joined you. And Shepard...
Me: Good idea, later man good luck with all that.

I got snow in my boots!

Hrm... ME2, Darksiders, and DR2 are all on my wishlist. But I kind of want to limit myself to around $10 per day (more due to my backlog than my wallet).

Which of those three is a better buy? Or should I bend my rule and get more than one (DR2 is $16 for me since I have RE5).

DickSauce

Banned
Most expensive day so far.

Operation Flashpoint 3 bucks.
Wings of Prey 6 bucks
Alpha protocol 7.50
Risen 15 bucks.

I'm even thinking of double dipping for mass effect 2. I have the pc version but i have to leave the damn dvd in every time i want to play. DAMN YOU GABE, DAMN YOU!!!

I'm even considering blur.

mm04

Zachack said:
Considering I have both Dirt 2 and Flatout (and GRID) and never installed them I guess I'll pass on Blur. Thanks for the info.

I've had Dirt 2 for ages as part of some freebie package and never played it. I finally started it up a few weeks ago and am having a blast with it. If you have a gamepad, you definitely should give it a go. It's a good game for playing in 15 to 20 minute intervals too.

Salsa

Snuggler said:
God, I'm such a filthy whore. After buying Mafia II thanks to Amazon, I decided to buy Mafia 1 as well to hold me over til I can play II.

Including the gifting, I'm at like $80 spent for just today. No more, dammit, no more.

Hey snug, buy the indie packs.

Chacranajxy said:
Yo...

I played Modern Warfare which I bought during the sale.

Oh man, that makes me not want to buy more games. It is one of the worst shooters I've ever played.

...guess I need to try playing something else to wash the taste out of my mouth.
So have you gone online with it like a real man, or did you just play the single player that no one plays?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
mm04 said:
I've had Dirt 2 for ages as part of some freebie package and never played it. I finally started it up a few weeks ago and am having a blast with it. If you have a gamepad, you definitely should give it a go. It's a good game for playing in 15 to 20 minute intervals too.
Yeah, DiRT 2 is pretty awesome. In fact, it's the reason I won't get Blur for more than $10. I already have sweet a racing game, and honestly Blur seems a bit hectic. I like simply racing, so adding more is just a novelty.

I need to just stop looking at these sales...every day so far I've been tempted by a few games, but I know I'll probably never get around to playing any of them (at least thoroughly). But at the prices it's just so dang tempting! Despite the fact that I already have some half dozen games on Steam that I've never touched yet. I'll get Civ V if it goes on sale, but I'll hold try and hold off otherwise.

Wallach said:
That conversation is always pretty straightforward for me:

Kaiden: Save her, I knew what I signed up for when I joined you. And Shepard...
Me: Good idea, later man good luck with all that.
You know I always sent Kaiden to set up the bomb and Ashley to back up the Salarian commandos. Along those lines I also thought that the right choice was to go back and make sure the bomb got set up properly. I just don't know why but in my play throughs Ashley is a walking corpse.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Zachack said:
There's no comparison to DIRT 2 and Flatout and Grid. Blur has a unique balance between having real physics and kart-racer physics. Surprisingly, it's one of the few games in the last few years where every car actually drives different, and aren't just mild alterations of eachother.

Blur is a ton of fun, and the persistent online system is great, though I'm not sure how the PC community is.

Just giving you the other side of the coin, one of my favourite games all year.

If my computer can run F.E.A.R. pretty well, albeit not at the highest settings, will Mass Effect be about the same? It also runs Bioshock rather well too.

Edit: Never mind, I went ahead and bought it through GamersGate.

Lime

BloodySinner said:
I don't know whether I should buy Mass Effect & ME2. Or am I just being a cheap SOB about it?

If you're into classic sci-fi, yes. Great atmosphere and world building.

The_Dude

drizzle said:
Is an Activision game, so it's never going to get a pricedrop.....

...however, since they canned Bizarre Creations, I'm not giving them my money. Also, game seems pretty dead on PC last I heard.
All good points. Still, I'd like to play it since it is one of Bizarre's last games. Eh, guess I've got some time to think about it.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
:lol I must be the only person who liked Kaiden. Probably because he was my main biotic in my first playthrough.

It always killed me to let him get nuked.

Salsa

How bout that Fright pack huh ? im leaning towards that since i already own 1 or 2 games from every other indie pack.

Kinda bummed to see that burn zombie burn doesnt have co-op, seemed like it could be fun.

UrbanRats

I <3 Memes said:
If you haven't played ME1 then I wouldnt suggest ME2 to you. The first one just feels so much better. Also, it is a 3 part epic, and missing ME1 would be missing the biggest part of the story so far.

I also found the gunplay a little off in ME2. But my only experience with ME2 is on the 360 so I'm hoping the controller was the reason for the clunky gunplay. Still, the gunplay in ME1 was practically dice rolling once you had the crosshair on an enemy so ME2's is definitely better.

My ME2 is almost finished downloading. Is there something you would like to see in the way of a gameplay video that would convince you? I would be happy to record and upload some gameplay clips.
Yes yes, as i said, i played ME1 on the 360.
I like the dialogue part of the game, but the shooting bored me to death, in the demo.(ME2)

And i've read that ME2 is more focused on shooting, this time around.
I'm trying to focus on fewer games, that i know i'll enjoy for sure, reason why i haven't picked up anything yet from this sale.
The only sure bets are MAFIA2 (as soon as they put it on a daily sale) and Lost Horizon.
I have to manage time and money very strictly, lately.

zoku88

Jive Turkey said:
:lol I must be the only person who liked Kaiden. Probably because he was my main biotic in my first playthrough.

It always killed me to let him get nuked.
In regards to your spoiler:
Why didn't you just nuke Williams, or whatever that racist girl's name was

ninj4junpei said:
If my computer can run F.E.A.R. pretty well, albeit not at the highest settings, will Mass Effect be about the same? It also runs Bioshock rather well too.

Edit: Never mind, I went ahead and bought it through GamersGate.
It could possibly run ME on low/medium.

Shaneus

Mafia 2? Fucking SWEET! Thanks for the heads-up :)

Edit: Fuuuuck, it's US only! Is anyone able to buy it and PM/email me the code? More than happy to PayPal some cash (or gift something on steam that's an equivalent amount). I'm sure the code would work on the AU Steam client, just can't buy the game :/

I bought Alpha Protocol and ME2. Maybe getting DR2 seeing that I also have RE5.

I always thought Alpha Protocol was like a RTS starcraft type clone or something else set in space, maybe because it has similar name to Alpha Centauri, which I want nothing to do with. Never knew it was a a spy based, action RPG. :lol Lucky I read some impressions before totally writing it off because of the name.

Vormund

L4D2 and DR2 aren't really comparable.

If you want to have lots of different ways of hacking up zombies, plus have a storyline then DR2 would be for you.

Anyway, this is going to send me broke at this rate :(

24 Dec 2010
$31.48
Purchase
Deathspank, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, Wings of Prey, Blur

23 Dec 2010
$33.49
Purchase
Railworks, Just Cause 2, Spore + Creepy and Cute + Galactic Adventures

22 Dec 2010
$12.70
Purchase
Resident Evil 5, The Polynomial

22 Dec 2010
$13.60
Purchase
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (ROW), Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box, Lara Croft GOL

22 Dec 2010
$40.20
Purchase
Super Meat Boy, Prince of Persia: Two Thrones, OddBoxx, Prince of Persia, SimCity 4 Deluxe, Cryostasis

UrbanRats

Shaneus said:
Mafia 2? Fucking SWEET! Thanks for the heads-up :)

Edit: Fuuuuck, it's US only! Is anyone able to buy it and PM/email me the code? More than happy to PayPal some cash (or gift something on steam that's an equivalent amount). I'm sure the code would work on the AU Steam client, just can't buy the game :/

That would be awesome, if possible. :O (Europe folk, here)
Though Mafia 2 will probably go on daily deal soon.

Blizzard

Banned
Well I'd been waiting for Blur, and it's on my wishlist, but at $15 I'm going to wait another year or whatever it takes. It's not like I play the racing games I already own. :lol

I'll probably go ahead and hit up Mass Effect 2, since $10 isn't too bad, even though I have yet to play the first.

DeadGzuz said:
360 wireless controller support is borked, that help? :D

Pretty sure all Wireless 360 support is borked from the crappy receiver, no? Anyone else?

If you want to have lots of different ways of hacking up zombies, plus have a storyline then DR2 would be for you.

Is the gameplay really just plowing through mobs of zombies with silly stuff? Anything else to it?

vocab

zoku88 said:
In regards to your spoiler:
Why didn't you just nuke Williams, or whatever that racist girl's name was

I hated both of them.

And they give you shit in the second game. Fuck them.

Salsa

Man seeing blur on sale reminded of me of this:

Blur_PC_CircArt.jpg

-

Blur_Bang.jpg

I mean i understand how it can have the band's name, but even the logo is similar :lol

Salsa

Vormund said:
22 Dec 2010
$13.60
Purchase
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (ROW), Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box, Lara Croft GOL

Goddamit i would have jumped into all of these instantly, fucking internet not working :((((((

Please let them be on the last day recap.

1-D_FTW

amrod said:

Nice deal. Sold!

Blizzard said:
Well I'd been waiting for Blur, and it's on my wishlist, but at $15 I'm going to wait another year or whatever it takes. It's not like I play the racing games I already own. :lol

I'll probably go ahead and hit up Mass Effect 2, since $10 isn't too bad, even though I have yet to play the first.

I'll tell you what's messed up, I just quit playing the first after 8 hours. And I'm seriously debating whether to pick up 2 for 10 dollars. I think I need a slap in the face.

Welp, just bought ME2, DR2, and Darksiders. :lol That takes out a significant chunk of my available wishlist, so hopefully the next few days won't be so hard on the wallet.

You win again Gabe. Farewell $35 and 30 GB of hard drive space, I hardly knew ye. (Darksiders and ME2 are both over 10GB?!?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom