• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I know a lot of GAF might ignore this post, but this sale is a great way to pick up some of the best casual games as well. All the "Diner Dash" and similar titles are a lot of fun. They're very polished, usually 12+ hours long, and have mechanics that make them easy to play through, but more difficult to obtain "expert" scores.

Almost all of these games are 75% discounted from their normal $7-10 prices to $1.75 - $2.50 as part of this sale.

My receipt:

Hotel Dash 1.74 USD
Fitness Dash 1.74 USD
Parking Dash 1.74 USD
DinerTown Detective Agency 1.74 USD
Gemini Lost 1.74 USD
Valerie Porter 1.74 USD
DinerTown Tycoon 2.49 USD
Diaper Dash 2.49 USD
Wedding Dash 2: Rings Around the World 2.49 USD
Cooking Dash 2.49 USD
Diner Dash: Hometown Hero 2.49 USD
Eets 2.49 USD
Chocolatier: Decadence by Design 2.49 USD

Total
27.87 USD

That's 13 lengthy, polished casual games (plus Eets!) for $27. Some of them were questionable (Valerie Porter is a hidden object game, a few of the Dash games aren't as good). Drop Eets, VP, and a few of the shakier dash titles and you'd have GREAT $15 bundle.

Even at $7, recommending a game like Hotel Dash or Wedding Dash is a little iffy. But at $1.50, when you can get FOUR of them for $7, they are all no-brainers and are better values than most of the "core" games on sale now.

Dambrosi

Banned
GDJustin said:
at $1.50, when you can get FOUR of them for $7, they are all no-brainers and are better values than most of the "core" games on sale now.
I dunno man, better value than The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom for 39p? Shattered Union for 10p less? Both for 50 cents in funny money?

Besides, if you don't like one, you're not going to like any of them, right?

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Buu, I can't buy ARMA II because Steam says There is a problem executing or updating my transaction. Whyyyyy? Christmas cancelled.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
speculawyer said:
Why no PopCap bundle? Meh . . . it has lots of junk anyway.

I think I might pick up a bunch of those Dash games.

Here is the bundle I bought, minus the most questionable Dash games, and minus eets, valerie porter, etc:

Hotel Dash 1.74 USD
Parking Dash 1.74 USD
DinerTown Detective Agency 1.74 USD
DinerTown Tycoon 2.49 USD
Wedding Dash 2: Rings Around the World 2.49 USD
Cooking Dash 2.49 USD
Diner Dash: Hometown Hero 2.49 USD
Chocolatier: Decadence by Design 2.49 USD

TOTAL: 17.75

Ceebs

Anyone on the fence about the Overlord pack...The first 10 minutes of Overlord II have you tormenting a town's children with the gremlin like minions, clubbing baby seals for life force and murdering some greenpeace inspired Hippie/Rastafarian elves.

Ceebs said:
Anyone on the fence about the Overlord pack...The first 10 minutes of Overlord II have you tormenting a town's children with the gremlin like minions, clubbing baby seals for life force and murdering some greenpeace inspired Hippie/Rastafarian elves.

It sound like fun, but I want to know more about how linear/non-linear it is.

Ok, so I'm trying to play Darksiders, but I can't see any of the character models and the ground outside of my little vision circle.
Any suggestions?

Ceebs

CecilRousso said:
They are linear games. You go from story point to story point and fight and solve puzzles along the way.

CecilRousso said:

It's fairly linear - there's a main storyline to follow, but you'll often have multiple objectives in a variety of areas that you can choose to do in any order. Also, there's various equipment and weapon upgrades to unlock, the ability to upgrade your tower with decorative and gameplay enhancing features and a moral choice system (of sorts) in some quests that lets you choose to be a Destructive overlord, destroying everything in his path, or a Dominating overlord, enslaving the population for his own ends.

Sanjay

Chriswok said:
Aye
Vietnam from EA stores is fine with Steam BFBC2.

You can get it for £5 from the EA Store, or £3.75 with this code: o3gfubinq

I feel ripped off now getting it for £5 yesterday :( oh the pain.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I played it for a bit, and I have concluded that King Arthur is worth the $5, to any Strategy/RTS fan. I like that it has RPG elements and Heroes.

It's hard on my system though. With a 2.4Ghz quad and a GTX 260M (think 9800 GT), I can't average 30fps at 1680x1050. The ole G92 is starting to show it's age, with this one.

Still, seems to be a good game.

really hoping for something like $24.99 on Dragon Age UE.

MW2 for $15 would also be really nice, but considering they already had MW1 at $15, this is likely not happening

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Jirotrom said:
yep... they jacked up the price and lost profits lol
I would love to see the people at Valve show them some chart "As you can see, you got more profits during the first 3 hours when the game was $5 then the rest of the day at $10, while other games had steady sales the entire day with a spike at the end"

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Sanjay said:
Nope, with your rig you should be hitting 60fps, what resolution do you play at?
Monitor is 1280x1024 so that's what I play all my games in.

And like I said in my earlier post changing the resolution to the lowest available in-game didn't affect the framerate at all.

confused said:
I'd like to echo the sentiment that the time is ripe for Crysis to go on sale. And Splinter Cell, too.

Oh how I wish that they would just ditch the securom DRM in Crysis at some point. I won´t buy it before that. Even it was free I would say no to it.

Ceebs

Hoping for Tropico 3 Gold or The Last Remnant for 5 bucks or under. I would also like to see the 3 Tomb Raider games bundled for cheap since my copies are spread out between platforms.

atomsk

Party Pooper
MikeE21286 said:
really hoping for something like $24.99 on Dragon Age UE.

I would be all over DA at 20-25

Will probably pick up Amnesia at the end of the sale unless there is a daily deal for $5 or something

And I'd be willing to bite on Crysis depending on price.

Outside of those 3, nothing else I really need to buy :lol

confused said:
I'd like to echo the sentiment that the time is ripe for Crysis to go on sale. And Splinter Cell, too.

Conviction should be a no-brainer, but after seeing the mild-sale ACII received ($14.99) I'd have to think it would be similar for Conviction. However...the 360 version of Conviction has hovered around sub-$15 for a little while now.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
CecilRousso said:
Oh how I wish that they would just ditch the securom DRM in Crysis at some point. I won´t buy it before that. Even it was free I would say no to it.
Ugh I am waiting for that patch too. I'm not gonna bother to crack it and I'm not going to spend another 30 minutes to get back 1 activation like I did last time.

Aaron

Singularity! Come on, it's still $50 on Steam when it's new everywhere $20 or less. That and Hot Pursuit are my only two wishes left.

Drkirby said:
I am assuming you lose an activation every time you uninstall the game, right?
No, you gain an activation back when you properly uninstall.

bee

some proper bargains on the Uk eastore today

dragon age ultimate edition £9.37
mass effect 2 £7.49
bad company vietnam £3.74

to name a few, use "o3gfubinq" in the voucher code section for further discount

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
bee said:

mass effect 2 £7.49

As a note, you can add the Vietnam code to a Steam BF:BC2, but you won't get the direct link to it.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1650058

Also, I did not realize it was every Ghost Recon to date for $10, I'll give the series a spin for that price. And to my surprise, I did not buy Overlord 1 the last time it was on sale, so complete pack of that bought.

Erasus

bee said:

mass effect 2 £7.49

I did not use that code ;_;

Still got Vietnam though! Are those deals only today? Thinking about getting Dead Space.

bee said:

mass effect 2 £7.49

can you send a link to that. I can't find it on this awful EA site.

probably gonna buy it if Steam disappoints

Sanjay

Easy_D said:
Monitor is 1280x1024 so that's what I play all my games in.

And like I said in my earlier post changing the resolution to the lowest available in-game didn't affect the framerate at all.

Nabs has the same gpu as you, plays at 1080p with 4/8AA and is locked at 60fps and above. You have a dual core at 3ghz, he as a quad but I don't think this game even takes advantage of that. You to me clearly have a software problem.

Are you using AA? Have you tried to play with the lowest settings possible to see if it improves your fps count?

Mrbob

MikeE21286 said:
wasn't DMC4 $4.99?

I could have sworn it was. Now $9.99

Yeah I thought it was $4.99 at one point. Hopefully Capcom was taught a good lesson as the game dropped off the top 20 list at $9.99.

Not Steam related (unfortunately), but I've got a burning desire to play Freelancer again - does anyone know if it works in Win7, 64bit? And is it available on any digital download service?

Stallion Free said:
Yeah and there is no deactivation tool for Crysis 1, just Warhead.

Who the fuck thinks this kind of shit up.

If anything, it´s makes Crytek seem lazy and uninterested when they dont remove it. Crysis was released in 2007, and they think that I would be willing to install Securom drivers on my new computer just for their old game, when it´s soon 2011? F*ck no.

Ok there is a problem with WinterBottom, the game launch fine and all but it seems it runs at a slower pace than normal.

So i figured maybe because i run it on a shitty labtop, but i play WoW just fine with 30fps in solo plays and 15-20fps in dungeons.
tried Torchlight as well and it runs wonderfully.

i tried to access the settings but as soon as i click on it the game crashes, any advice?

Anyone want to sell me on the gameplay of Overlord in the next hour? I know a box of cereal isn't much but I have a huge console backlog and these sales aren't doing anything for my pc backlog.
I would really like to only pick up games that I plan on ever playing. So how is Overlord, gameplay wise? Am I going to get bored halfway through the first?

Aaron said:
Singularity! Come on, it's still $50 on Steam when it's new everywhere $20 or less. That and Hot Pursuit are my only two wishes left.

Published by Activision therefor ain't gonna happen.

I've been waiting for Wolfenstein (2009) to go on sale ever since it hit Steam =(
Would totally buy Singularity as well...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
For crashing when going into settings, nope, but I think it is a game made with XNA, which is not very optimized. While TF2 and WoW will run decently on my laptop, that game also gave it quiet a bit of slow down. My current computer has a problem holding a solid 60 FPS at 1080p, but that is due to me having a budget video card still (A 9500GT)

Ceebs

898 said:
Anyone want to sell me on the gameplay of Overlord in the next hour? I know a box of cereal isn't much but I have a huge console backlog and these sales aren't doing anything for my pc backlog.
I would really like to only pick up games that I plan on ever playing. So how is Overlord, gameplay wise? Am I going to get bored halfway through the first?
Ever play a Pikmin game? It's pretty much that with a perverse and twisted sense of humor.

UrbanRats

AgentOtaku said:
Published by Activision therefor ain't gonna happen.

I've been waiting for Wolfenstein (2009) to go on sale ever since it hit Steam =(
Would totally buy Singularity as well...
I wanted 007: Bloodstone, not even a 25% -.-

Insayne

bee said:

mass effect 2 £7.49

Thank you! :) Vietnam is now mine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom