• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceebs

Kabuki Waq said:
can anyone give me the 411 on sc conviction. I have I7920 and a 5870 is 60fps a possibility? any issue with the pc port?
It will run flawlessly. It looks like a completely different game on a PC due to the drastic IQ improvement.

Piano

Banned
whoop whoop, picked up the Tropico pack and both Monkey Island games. Don't feel bad because both were on my list of wanted games <3

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Didn't even think twice -- bought Splinter Cell 1 and Dragon Age Ultimate. Good day ^_^

Not sure if it's worth getting the Monkey Island pack or Shank... I don't know anything about them :(

FINALLY Dragon Age UE on sale for $25. What is that, a month after Impulse had it for that price? Sheesh!

Oh well, at least I finally got it. 24GB download :lol

I hope Crysis is tomorrow.

Just one more time then, Altitude, anyone?

It´s a great multiplayer game that everyone here can run on their computer. Steamplay, achievements, great fun, for almost nothing?

Where the indie love for this title? :\

Yeef

spons said:
Didn't the official drivers leak months ago?
Probably. but a lot of games will auto-detect 360 controllers and you can have MotionJoy make the Dual Shock appear as a 360 controller. It's set up to mirror the button placements of of the 360 controller by default, but you can change the button layout at the drivers level (for those games that use R2 to shoot when you'd prefer R1, for example).

Hmmmm. Next sale for Dragon Age I guess. I'm tempted to just buy the original for $15 but I'd rather wait and see what Ultimate Edition goes for this summer.

Altitude, definitely...maybe one more. Probably Shank, that or the original Red Faction or Splinter Cell.

Artofwar420

Alright, just got Dragon Age: Ultimate Awesome Edition, seems like a good deal.

Kinda want Modern Warfare 2... doubt it'll go down any lower, who thinks it will?

Psy-Phi

I'm sure Conviction will run famously on any machine capable of running any other 360 port. They all seem to run exceptional on C2Q's with videocards as old as mine (260).

What I'd like to know about Conviction is if the DLC is any good; I was about to buy the pack, even though it lacks Pandora Tomorrow (didn't that come out on PC?), then I saw the DLC on Conviction >_<. $10 more dollars.

Think I'll wait this out hoping it gets added to the sale later in the day for -50%. Definitely buying Chaos Theory regardless though, never finished that one on the xbox for some reason (rented it). Just have to convince myself i should in fact get it on PC even though I have it on 360. Don't have the DLC on the 360...

Also Batman AA GotY for $7.50...very nice. Tempted to buy it, even though I'd just get the Challenge Maps that I haven't touched at all in the standard release. Steam is evil to my wallet.

CecilRousso said:

It´s a great multiplayer game that everyone here can run on their computer. Steamplay, achievements, great fun, for almost nothing?

I think we all already bought it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Artofwar420 said:

Kinda want Modern Warfare 2... doubt it'll go down any lower, who thinks it will?
It's on sale now, which means it wont go down any further. Don't kid yourself, or get your hopes up. This is Activision too.

CecilRousso said:
I would, if they came without Securom and GfWL.
That's retarded. The multilayer in Red Faction is totally throwaway and probably dead beyond belief. You are buying for the campaign, which is solid.
I <3 Memes said:
Red Faction: Space Jerk is tempting at $5.00. Heard it's a bitch to update though.
I dunno, didn't have any issues with the Steam version. Didn't even know there were patches or issues with it.
Sipowicz said:
red faction guerilla - is this a good port?
Sure, it's fun.
spons said:
Red Faction Guerrilla for 2,49 is such a good deal, even though the storyline and mission structure are poor at best.
Mission structure isn't terrible but you can end up wasting time doing shit that's not fun. Key thing to remember is that you aren't having fun- stop doing those missions.
LocoMrPollock said:
It's $5.

You really need a quad core to run it, though, because all of the physics are done with the CPU.
Ugh, I played on a low end core duo. It probably ran better on my new quad but you don't really need anything special.

Tips for people who get it, ignore the hostage missions, upgrade your kit, get the nano rifle and upgrade charge counts. Driving model, melee, rubbish missions are the main downside but you can have a blast just blowing shit up for a good dozen hours.
Nabs said:
don't buy flatout
Really? Damn, thanks for the tip I guess... it's the only thing I was considering.

DSN2K

Artofwar420 said:

MW2 is a bad deal, you dont even get the map packs...wait is my advice.

Blizzard

Banned
CecilRousso said:

I like it!

For today, I guess I'll get the expansion pack for Tropico 3, even though I feel dirty for buying much anything with that little purple DLC label. :lol At least it's supposed to be an expansion pack and is presumably worth $3.

I'd also like opinions on the X games (which I wasn't even familiar with), and maybe that murder files indie game. Anyone else second the notion that Terran Conflict is the only X game one should get?

Psy-Phi said:
I'm sure Conviction will run famously on any machine capable of running any other 360 port. They all seem to run exceptional on C2Q's with videocards as old as mine (260).

No it doesn't. It's running on a heavily modified UE2.5. you really need a beast to get a playable framerate with it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
echoshifting said:
Hmmmm. Next sale for Dragon Age I guess. I'm tempted to just buy the original for $15 but I'd rather wait and see what Ultimate Edition goes for this summer.

Altitude, definitely...maybe one more. Probably Shank, that or the original Red Faction or Splinter Cell.

I don't think I've ever seen EA or Activision do more than 50% off on their games. The base price might be lowered by summer, though.

DSN2K said:
MW2 is a bad deal, you dont even get the map packs...wait is my advice.

He's gonna be waiting a while. Modern Warfare was just on sale for $14.99. I don't think it's gone lower than that.

Minsc

Gold Member
careksims said:
Oh geeze. That's it for Christmas?! Nothing for me today :/

I get the feeling 100% of Steam's library could go on sale for 95% off, and I'd still see these posts in this thread! :)

CecilRousso said:

It looks to be a multiplayer-only game or at least heavily focused on MP. That means I have no interest in it, and that probably applies for some others as well.

Thank you Gabe. Dragon Age bought.

I've crossed 100 dollar this sale. I'm unsure I really want anything else from today. Some of the older Splinter Cell games are tempting. How have they aged?

Revolutionary said:
Oh nice, Guerrilla's on sale too? Finally, some people to fucking play multiplayer with. It's a goddamn ghost town on PC.
Meh I dunno man some games don't even get a small boost because of the sales- I think people buy stuff and don't play it. Or perhaps can't install it.

I told myself that I was gonna bite on batman at 15 before the sale was done. Thanks Gabe for the extra good deal. I know what I am gonna do when I get home

Petrie said:
Maybe it's better I just make a new post to ask:

If I've never played a Flatout game, what's the one to own?
The most recent one is a decent Burnout type of clone. The other two will set you back a full $1.75 so it is not like it is a lot of money.

Bii

Datwheezy said:
Slow Internet on my iPhone. Can someone post full list of prices? Thanks.

Shank - $7.49
Tropico 3: Gold Edition - $6.00
X SuperBox - $13.60
Dragon-Age: Origins - $14.99
Dragon-Age: Origins Awakening - $14.99
Dragon-Age: Origins Ultimate Edition - $24.99
Monkey Island: Special Edition Bundle - $3.75
Sid Meier's Civilization V - $37.49
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY - $7.50
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - $29.99
FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage - $2.00
FlatOut 2 - $1.00
FlatOut - $0.75
Red Faction - $2.49
Red Faction II - $2.49
Red Faction Guerrilla - $4.99
Altitude - $2.49
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction - $14.99
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction Deluxe Edition - $17.49
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent - $4.99
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell - $4.99
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory - $4.99

Indie Deal of the Day:
Blue Toad Murder Files: The Mysteries of Little Riddle - $3.00

Visualante said:
That's retarded. The multilayer in Red Faction is totally throwaway and probably dead beyond belief. You are buying for the campaign, which is solid.

I thought Red Faction: Guerilla had Securom also. My bad.

But Batman is a no go with Securom. I don't want malware in my new computer just because an old game.

1-D_FTW

Batman get.

On an unrelated note, I've unistalled the malware known as Punkbuster. So I doubt I'll be able to play BC2 or Vietnam. So there's 25 percent of my Christmas expenditure flushed down the toilet.

Computer never locks. Installed MoH beta when it was released and immediately began having issues 30 seconds post boot/sleep awakening. Not always, but once or twice a day. Seemed like another driver was conflicted and they'd just hang/lock the system. Made a couple changes (including deleting Punkbuster when I caught weird activity in the task manager) and problems went away. Back to never having a problem. As I'm loading BC 2 and see Punkbuster, I'm all oh shit. I hope that wasn't the issue. Well I've had 3 hard locks since then. So clearly we have a winner. And it's punkbuster.

Visualante said:
Ugh, I played on a low end core duo. It probably ran better on my new quad but you don't really need anything special.

It ran pretty shitty on my old AMD X2 6000+ rig. Everytime a building would collapse it would pretty much lockup for 10 to 15 seconds.

Netto-kun said:
Does Arkham Asylum support 360 controller? I'll just get that instead of the PS3 version if it does.:D

It does. Game runs great too.

Blizzard

Banned
Karram said:
Is Tropico any good ?
It's decent, in my opinion! Kinda like Simcity, I guess? You set policies and get workers to build things and try to keep people happy.

I like how the Terran Conflict screenshots on the Steam store seem to have a really low FRAPS counter on screen. :p I'm hoping that's just a bad computer though.

WEGGLES

FFFFFFFFFFF

I got DA:O Ult. for xmas. But it won't install. The 'solution' on biowares site (Run setup.exe in winm2000 compat mode) doesn't work either... apparently this is a wide spread issue. Does it effect the steam version as well? 'Cause if not I'll buy this while it's cheap and try to return the other one as defective. Or something. :[

Psy-Phi

Visualante said:
Meh I dunno man some games don't even get a small boost because of the sales- I think people buy stuff and don't play it. Or perhaps can't install it.
When it's cheap, that's certainly what happens...buying it to play on a rainy day. I bought Guerilla when it was on sale for dirt cheap before, played to the 2nd area, got online once, and haven't touched it since.

Sure it's fun to dick around in, but so is Just Cause 2 and a handful of other games I have. Plus I don't feel like dicking around. Though the problems Guerilla had with the frame rate and speed of the game due to the clock rate of my CPU may have had something to do with it. They ever fix that?

MoFuzz

MW2 at $30 is actually the cheapest I've seen it on Steam. Too bad it's a year later, with no official dedicated server support :sadface. It's funny seeing people waiting for it to drop further though. MW1 took 2 and a half years from release to go to $15, so maybe by summer of 2012 you'll finally get it? You guys aren't waiting for it to drop below $10 are you? because if you are.... :lol

Splinter Cell Conviction and Batman are pretty tempting at those prices, but SecuROM and Ubi DRM are my balls, so no buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom