• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don

Already played through Dragon Age on PS3 but haven't touched any of the additional content except for Wardens Keep and The Stone Prisoner, so I bought the Ultimate Edition.

Just wish that it had steam achievements.

If Dragon Age had gone on sale for that price before I started Alpha Protocol and bought Risen, Bully, Just Cause 2, etc, it'd have been a no brainer.

Now though, I'm thinking it'll be that cheap again before I'd have started it anyway.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Netto-kun said:
Bought Monkey Island. Does Arkham Asylum support 360 controller? I'll just get that instead of the PS3 version if it does.:D

Arkham Asylum is amazing on the PC. It runs great, has plenty of options, and the 360 controller support is second to none. You can switch between 360 controller and keyboard/mouse on the fly simply by pressing a button on either configuration and the command prompt symbols will change accordingly.

LocoMrPollock said:
It ran pretty shitty on my old AMD X2 6000+ rig. Everytime a building would collapse it would pretty much lockup for 10 to 15 seconds.
Maybe you have this patching issue that other people are commenting on?

szaromir

Banned
How will Red Faction Guerrilla run on Core i5 430M (a laptop one)? I know it's a rather weak CPU, but I'm hoping I can run it decently. Worst case scenario I'll waste €2.5, so not that bad.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The way I look at Steam sales, if I spend thirty dollars on five different seven dollar games, and just one of them really grabs me and pulls me in and becomes one of my favorite games, then I've gotten my money's worth.

bulovski

Neo Member
arghhhh have been waiting for DAO:UE for ages and it's not available in my region. I already have it on 360 but so wanted the PC edition. /cries in a corner

does anyone know if a user in a different region can gift games to another where the game is not available?

Bought MI special edition although owned MI2:SE - it's still a steal at 3.75.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
All Splinter Cell's prior to Conviction are incredible on the mouse and keyboard. The mouse scroll wheel controls Sam's speed so you have real finesse. People will be like OH FUCK I NEED A CONTROLLER FOR THE THUMB STICK TO CONTROL HIS SPEED. But guess what, those bitches are imagining shit because the degree the push the stick is just switching him between speed toggles on the mouse wheel. FINESSE BITCHES.

Conviction on the other hand doesn't have the whole movement speed levels so it's fine on the pad.

People who hate on Conviction only hate on it because it's so different from the old Splinter Cell's. It takes a series with 4 full entries in a different direction. I see nothing wrong with trying something new. And they fucking nail what they tried to do in the game. You fall into this rhythm and it gets borderline sexual.

I really want Batman AA but there are other games that haven't been on sale yet that I want too. And I have a feeling that Batman AA will make it back for the last day of the sale.

MoFuzz

Lostconfused said:
Splinter cell is still a ripoff. You can get it for $10 on any of the consoles.
Where it runs in shitty low rez and hovers at around 30 fps.

Yeah no thanks, I'll pay the extra $5. Well at least I would have, if not for the DRM.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
prodystopian said:
Any opinions on Shank? I like 2d brawlers and I liked the demo.
It's decent, but the art looks like shit upscaled to 1080p. Like wtf. I want my art in 1080p native. None of this XBLA 720p bullshit.

bulovski

Neo Member
Minamu said:
Are the Monkey Island remakes any good? Haven't played the originals (don't kill me!).
yes - they are excellent. I don't know about MI1 but MI2 comes with commentary and it's a treat to hear three brilliant game designers talk about what was going through their heads in each scene.

Jirotrom

LocoMrPollock said:
It's $5.

You really need a quad core to run it, though, because all of the physics are done with the CPU.

Anyway, Tropico 3 Gold is very tempting at $6

The Flatout games are really great too and a steal at what they're asking.
Not true ay all... I have a duel core and I run it 1080p all settings high with out a hitch

szaromir

Banned
Stallion Free said:
All Splinter Cell's prior to Conviction are incredible on the mouse and keyboard. The mouse scroll wheel controls Sam's speed so you have real finesse. People will be like OH FUCK I NEED A CONTROLLER FOR THE THUMB STICK TO CONTROL HIS SPEED. But guess what, those bitches are imagining shit because the degree the push the stick is just switching him between speed toggles on the mouse wheel. FINESSE BITCHES.
LOL, they were terrible on mouse, controlled like shit. Splinter Cell still belongs on the original Xbox.

Zefah said:
I don't think I've ever seen EA or Activision do more than 50% off on their games. The base price might be lowered by summer, though.

I think you're right about that, but yeah...I'm hoping by then the base price will finally drop at least $10. I'm really trying not to spend more than $10 a day.

If it's $25 again on the last day I'll probably buy it.

biocat

I already own the disc version of DA:O, but I'm thinking of getting the Ultimate Edition because I'm short Origins and the Witch Hunt DLC. Can I link two base games to my Bioware account?

MoFuzz said:
Where it runs in shitty low rez and at hovers at around 30 fps.

Yeah no thanks, I'll pay the extra $5. Well at least I would have, if not for the DRM.
Yeah that's right you are paying that extra $5 for the privilege of having your game DRMed to hell.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MoFuzz said:
Where it runs in shitty low rez and at hovers at around 30 fps.

If they DRM offends you, throw the crack on. There is no reason to be missing out on excellent games like Assassin's Creed 2 (which is easily in my fav games of I played this year now) because of the DRM. I would be shocked if the crack took more than 5 minutes to set up.

Minamu said:
Are the Monkey Island remakes any good? Haven't played the originals (don't kill me!).

Yeah, they're awesone. Depends, of course, on if you like Lucasart's style adventure games, though. Some of the funniest games out there, though.

Civ V only 25% off? Sorry, not good enough. I'll stick with IV for now.

MoFuzz

szaromir said:
LOL, they were terrible on mouse, controlled like shit. Splinter Cell still belongs on the original Xbox.
Sure I guess, as much as Halo still belongs on PC.

Wait, what?

Blizzard

Banned
Nabs said:
should i bother with tropico? is the expansion worth it?
Fortunately for you, there's a demo! Give it a shot. If you like the demo, might as well go for the game and the expansion pack. I think it's pretty good if you like tropical islands and building cities.

ZZMitch

Picked up the Monkey Island bundle (own the second one but haven't played it yet.)

I have to start series like that at the beginning, I don't like starting on sequels.

Truespeed

1-D_FTW said:
Batman get.

On an unrelated note, I've unistalled the malware known as Punkbuster. So I doubt I'll be able to play BC2 or Vietnam. So there's 25 percent of my Christmas expenditure flushed down the toilet.

Computer never locks. Installed MoH beta when it was released and immediately began having issues 30 seconds post boot/sleep awakening. Not always, but once or twice a day. Seemed like another driver was conflicted and they'd just hang/lock the system. Made a couple changes (including deleting Punkbuster when I caught weird activity in the task manager) and problems went away. Back to never having a problem. As I'm loading BC 2 and see Punkbuster, I'm all oh shit. I hope that wasn't the issue. Well I've had 3 hard locks since then. So clearly we have a winner. And it's punkbuster.

There's no need to uninstall Punkbuster and void yourself from online play. Just disable the service from startup by default and enable it when you want to play online.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
szaromir said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Spoken like someone who has never even played the games on PC. I call bullshit on that. You can't argue with the finesse of the mouse and I fucking ripped the thumbstick argument to shreds.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So Double Agent... is it any good? I remember that it was buggy as shit when it came out like all Ubi games, but did they fix that? I also remember hearing that the game didn't look as good as the 360 version, which is preposterous... any truth to that?

Xater

ZZMitch said:
Picked up the Monkey Island bundle (own the second one but haven't played it yet.)

I have to start series like that at the beginning, I don't like starting on sequels.

Probably the best idea, otherwise a lot of jokes will just not work. MI games are just filled with references to previous titles and running gags.

MoFuzz

DSN2K said:
Splinter Cell plays fine on M/K, down to choice really but either option works.
I played through the original and Pandora Tomorrow with M&K, Chaos Theory with a gamepad.

I feel like they both have their pros and cons for the Splinter Cell games. It's not QUITE twitchy enough in terms of gunplay and aiming to warrant mouse only.

Minamu

SenseiJinx said:
Yeah, they're awesone. Depends, of course, on if you like Lucasart's style adventure games, though. Some of the funniest games out there, though.

Civ V only 25% off? Sorry, not good enough. I'll stick with IV for now.
I have no idea, never had a computer back when Lucasarts had their glory days. I've only played Grim Fandango (which kicked a shit ton of ass, of course). On the other hand, you can't go wrong with this price, either way, imho :) Wonder if my mom would like them :S

Also, since Dragon Age is cheaper on the eastore, is it possible to buy it from them and then activate it through steam?

thechemist said:
How's Conviction on 8600m gt and C2C? If its not great, I'll just wait till next year, when its hopefully cheaper.

Thanks.

I doubt you'd be able to run it at more than 10fps.

Jirotrom said:
Not true ay all... I have a duel core and I run it 1080p all settings high with out a hitch

Maybe it was just my rig then, or maybe I never patched it correctly.

Stallion Free said:

Conviction on the other hand doesn't have the whole movement speed levels so it's fine on the pad.

People who hate on Conviction only hate on it because it's so different from the old Splinter Cell's. It takes a series with 4 full entries in a different direction. I see nothing wrong with trying something new. And they fucking nail what they tried to do in the game. You fall into this rhythm and it gets borderline sexual.

This post kick all kinds of ass kids.
Respect

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
szaromir said:
How will Red Faction Guerrilla run on Core i5 430M (a laptop one)? I know it's a rather weak CPU, but I'm hoping I can run it decently. Worst case scenario I'll waste €2.5, so not that bad.
I beat the game on a Pentium D with the particle effects on the highest setting. It was a little choppy though.

Forkball

Bought Batman and Blue Toad Murder Files. Well, trying to anyways, the payment page won't load. STOP BUYING THINGS EVERYONE. I've had my eye on BTMF, and at $3 you can't really go wrong.

What does this mean in the Batman AA description?

Explore every inch of Arkham Asylum and roam freely on the infamous island

From what I played of the demo it seemed like a very linear game not any kind of sandbox game.

kai3345

Banned
I <3 Memes said:

From what I played of the demo it seemed like a very linear game not any kind of sandbox game.
It opens up after the first couple missions. The Arkham Courtyard becomes a sort of Hub World

Xater

I <3 Memes said:

Where have you been? The game is amazing. It's Batman + Metroidvania.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom