• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minamu

That's PR talk for being able to technically explore certain outdoors areas for collectables :) It is linear but the are hints at open-world areas as well, but nothing super major.

I <3 Memes said:
What does this mean in the Batman AA description?

Explore every inch of Arkham Asylum and roam freely on the infamous island

From what I played of the demo it seemed like a very linear game not any kind of sandbox game.
There's parts where you're given the opportunity to explore the environments. It's not a sandbox by any means, just larger environments to explore.

EDIT: And beaten.. like 4 times.

Anyway, DA Ultimate is taking foreverrrrr. Switching to Japan helped a little but it's still a fairly slow download. :( Not gonna be able to play this shit til tonight.

szaromir

Banned
Stallion Free said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Spoken like someone who has never even played the games on PC. I call bullshit on that. You can't argue with the finesse of the mouse and I fucking ripped the thumbstick argument to shreds.
What finesse are you talking about? Changing speeds is unintuitive, has unnecessarily high learning curve and you can still make mistakes even after some getting used to, which absolutely never occurs with the controller. Controlos are way superior with the controller, period.

Anyways got Dragon Age ultimate and the X superbox. I think I am done with the sale, or at least buying random games on a whim that I am not sure I am going to play.

Safe Bet

Banned
I may be wrong, but iirc...

Batman's gameworld eventually opens up.

No it's not a sandbox with non-linear quest-givers and side-missions scattered about, but near the end of the game your free to explore every part of the map to search for collectibles, riddle solutions, etc.

Edit: Beaten Redux

kai3345

Banned
Revolutionary said:
There's parts where you're given the opportunity to explore the environments. It's not a sandbox by any means, just larger environments to explore.

EDIT: And beaten.. like 4 times.

Anyway, DA Ultimate is taking foreverrrrr. Switching to Japan helped a little but it's still a fairly slow download. :( Not gonna be able to play this shit til tonight.
my DL is going so slow im not gonna be able to play until tomorrow night, and then I work! :lol :lol

:(

Would have bought batman and conviction despite wanting to have them on the 360 instead but both have securom on steam iirc so fuck you publishers.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Not a whole lot, but Monkey Island Special edition for $3.75? Damn!

I've only played the first on Xbox 360 but I've been wanting to play the 2nd, so I just snatched that up.

I wasn't gonna spend much more, but I think I'll go for Batman at $7.50. No other games I want or deals I can't resist.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I have Dragon Age: Origins, but I don't have Awakenings or any of the other DLC. Is the $10 extra for the Ultimate edition worth it over Awakenings by itself since I don't own any of the DLC yet?

Jubs

DA:O is tempting, but I think I can wait it out. With a burgeoning backlog, I'm not in any hurry. Plus, with the sequel coming out soon, we're bound to see price cuts and big discounts for the first game.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Tempted for both Tropic 3 Gold Edition and X Pack, but I'm only interested in X3:TC. And Tropic has been a sale nearly every time, so I figure I'll get that later when I clear a bit of my backlog.

Don't care for the Indie deal at all.

szaromir

Banned
SapientWolf said:
I beat the game on a Pentium D with the particle effects on the highest setting. It was a little choppy though.
Thanks. I'm hoping it'll run on my hardware then, well I bought the game.

Fucking Steam servers getting hammers, I changed location 3 times and still can't install the game. I'll try at night. :/

kai3345

Banned
Monroeski said:
I have Dragon Age: Origins, but I don't have Awakenings or any of the other DLC. Is the $10 extra for the Ultimate edition worth it over Awakenings by itself since I don't own any of the DLC yet?
yes. the DLC is excellent, especially Shale, Amgarak, and Leliana's Song

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Urgh Must Resist Buying Dragon Age Ultimate Edition.

I have the original Dragon Age on disc from launch. I somehow feel that buying this will give EA the wrong idea and make them think I want Dragon Effect 2.

Urgh Must Resist Buying Dragon Age Ultimate Edition.

I have the original Dragon Age on disc from launch. I somehow feel that buying this will give EA the wrong idea and make them think I want Dragon Effect 2.

DA2 is coming in a couple of months whether you buy this or not, it's not going to change anything. If you want it at this price get it.

Not to mention DA2 looks better and better each time I see it. Cannot wait for that game... but anyway.

DMPrince said:
bah. i really want Civ V but that's out of my price range :\
Yeah same here really, it pains me because so many people are giving it GOTY votes. But to invest that amount of money in it and have so little time to play these allegedly epic long games it just isn't worth it for me. It would be my first Civ, too. Knowing how well it sells after release it probably won't go on sale much either.

Dreohboy

Lostconfused said:
Splinter cell is still a ripoff. You can get it for $10 on any of the consoles.

But to be fair, depending on your setup it'll look and play at least $10 better than it does on those consoles.

I may dip.

How short is the single player campaign again?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Stallion Free said:
All Splinter Cell's prior to Conviction are incredible on the mouse and keyboard. The mouse scroll wheel controls Sam's speed so you have real finesse. People will be like OH FUCK I NEED A CONTROLLER FOR THE THUMB STICK TO CONTROL HIS SPEED. But guess what, those bitches are imagining shit because the degree the push the stick is just switching him between speed toggles on the mouse wheel. FINESSE BITCHES.
Wow, thanks for letting me know. Definitely getting Chaos Theory now, but should I get the first Splinter Cell or Tomb Raider Anniversary, hmmmm...

atomsk

Party Pooper
Revolutionary said:

I hopped off a server that was going 300-400k... and i've been getting 25-50k on every other server I've tried

So I got back on the original one I was on. Estimated to finish in 15 hours

(my usual steam average is 1.5mb)

ydnawel

Neo Member
Hey I have a question. So I'll be in a foreign country for vacation, will Steam let me buy from the US store, or will I be purchasing at foreign prices (with the possibility of getting the foreign version)?

WEGGLES

WEGGLES said:
FFFFFFFFFFF

I got DA:O Ult. for xmas. But it won't install. The 'solution' on biowares site (Run setup.exe in winm2000 compat mode) doesn't work either... apparently this is a wide spread issue. Does it effect the steam version as well? 'Cause if not I'll buy this while it's cheap and try to return the other one as defective. Or something. :[
Bumping for new page.

Is this "Installation Failed" error happening with the steam version as well. I currently have it on disc, but it can't install the second disc of the DA:O :Ultimate.

biocat

I bought the Ultimate Edition of DA. Already had a registered DA:O with almost all the DLC. If anyone is curious, it looks like both versions will link up with the same online profile. There is a separate place to register the Ultimate Edition serial.

kai3345

Banned
bishopcruz said:
DA2 is coming in a couple of months whether you buy this or not, it's not going to change anything. If you want it at this price get it.

Not to mention DA2 looks better and better each time I see it. Cannot wait for that game... but anyway.
lolwut

biocat

ydnawel said:
Hey I have a question. So I'll be in a foreign country for vacation, will Steam let me buy from the US store, or will I be purchasing at foreign prices (with the possibility of getting the foreign version)?

You'll get the foreign store. Worse yet, you'll need a payment option from the country you're in. To preempt having that kind of problem, charge up your account now before you leave.

Dice said:
Wow, thanks for letting me know. Definitely getting Chaos Theory now, but should I get the first Splinter Cell or Tomb Raider Anniversary, hmmmm...

I'd suggest waiting to see if the Tomb Raider series become part of a daily deal. $4.99 is great now but there's a possibility it may go even lower. Worst case scenario if it doesn't, pick it up at the latter end of the sale for the $4.99.

Dreohboy

Fuck Steam.

I have 34 games on STEAM.

Finished...NONE. :lol

I haven't even beaten Red Faction Guerilla which I bought LAST year.

Fucking compulsive buyer.:lol

dream

Safe Bet said:
Chaos Theory Bought

Another classic added to the library.

: )

You're a good man, Safe Bet.

I replay pretty much nothing but I find myself going through Chaos Theory once a year.

Blizzard

Banned
Has anyone ever seen this for a STEAM WALLET purchase?

Your purchase has not been completed.
The payment processor has reported an authorization failure. Please select a different payment method.

It said my credit card declined the first purchase I tried to make, but it won't even let me use my wallet funds to buy something. :/ Do you have to have enough wallet funds to cover the non-sale price or something stupid like that?

By the way, if you put the three non-conviction Splinter Cell games in your cart, they show up as $4 each instead of $5...but then when you go to check out it charges you $5 for one of them. Just an oddity.

thechemist

The splinter cell games seem to reduce in price if you put them into the basket together.

Your Shopping Cart

£3.59
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory®

£1.99
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell®

£3.99
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent®

£5.99
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction

£15.56
Subtotal
£15.56 Estimated total

kai3345 said:
yes. the DLC is excellent, especially Shale, Amgarak, and Leliana's Song

Ok, howabout my case: back in the summer some time, I bought DAO + Awakening on Impulse. Which DLC packs am I going to be missing, and would it be more economical to buy them through EA (in-game?), buy Steam's Ultimate edition, or skip them altogether?

fushi said:
Any opinions on the X series?

Get Terran Conflict, ignore the rest. It's incredibly deep and hardcore space trader/privateer type gameplay, and controls well enough with mouse+keyboard. There's an official thread around here somewhere with a lot of good info.

Blizzard

Banned
I can't even get to the checkout now to let it decline my steam wallet some more.

There has been an internal error initializing your transaction. Please contact support for assistance.
Am I the only one?

yonder

No mac version for the monkey island bundle? Aw :(

Also, what is up with the Civ 5 deal? It was £20 a few days ago and now it's £22.50 in the daily deals? I'll stick to Civ IV.

Nabs

Blizzard said:
Has anyone ever seen this for a STEAM WALLET purchase?

It said my credit card declined the first purchase I tried to make, but it won't even let me use my wallet funds to buy something. :/ Do you have to have enough wallet funds to cover the non-sale price or something stupid like that?

By the way, if you put the three non-conviction Splinter Cell games in your cart, they show up as $4 each instead of $5...but then when you go to check out it charges you $5 for one of them. Just an oddity.

this happened to me when trying to gift a game to sanjay. i had more than enough in my steam wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom