• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamspy

Tropico 3 is like a SimCity game with a ton of personality. I like it a lot. Thinking about double dipping. I actually prefer it to Civ. Not as stuffy.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Bii said:
I bit on the following:

Tropico 3: Gold Edition
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
FlatOut
FlatOut 2
Blue Toad Murder Files

For a total of ~$43, which brings my grand total for this holiday sale to $155 spent. >_<
Lol damn.... I think I past the $100 mark recently, my credit card bill will show it next month.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Pimpbaa said:
How is the PC port of Red Faction Guerrilla? Asking because the Saint's Row 2 port is embarrassingly bad.
It started bad and then got a patch that fixed every issue I had lol. Force DX9 (add -nod3d10 to the start-up) and it should run at 60 fps fairly easily with all DX9 settings maxed. You miss out on Ambient Occlusion and Sun Shafts, but they honestly are worth the performance you will prolly get on DX10. Support both 360 pad/mouse well. Has 360 achievements.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Pimpbaa said:
How is the PC port of Red Faction Guerrilla? Asking because the Saint's Row 2 port is embarrassingly bad.
It's really good but it's processor intensive. I have AMD PII x4 955, Radeon 5850, 4GB RAM and can't run max everything 1080p with 60fps. Some areas are worse than others, but Ambient Occlusion is what hurts it. If you don't mind turning that off, it runs really smooth, but I actually prefer running it in 720p with everything on. It's better for the HUD and something about the style of graphics it has doesn't suffer from the softness of 720p. Having more accurate "space lighting" is more important than crispness, which doesn't exist in its textures anyway. I got it for $5 several months ago and it was totally worth it.

OMG Aero said:
Does anyone have any impressions of Blue toad murder files? I remember seeing a quick look of it ages ago and it looked cool, but that's literally all I've seen of it.

Charmingly presented. Puzzles are a little easy.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Tokubetsu said:
I'd really like Shank but I'm sure it'll be cheaper...
Devs who give shitty quality art assets in their game don't deserve to be rewarded with money. There is no excuse for the backgrounds in the game. You can see it in the demo.

dream

CecilRousso said:
I´m looking a bit at the other titles that haven´t been and probably won´t be daily deals.

Sid Meier's Pirates! - 2,49€ (I already own it, but I feel I should mention it to others).
Sid Meier's Railroads! - 2.49€ (bought it a couple of days ago)
Hitman: Blood Money - 4,9€

What other great non indie titles under 5€ should I look at?

Oh, wow, thanks for the headsup. Pirates! is only $2.49 too.

all meh today. I am dissapoint.

Saying that im not really sure what there is worth buying as I forgot to get racwhatever its called the shop running rpg when it was on a daily deal and I can get the boxed version of borderlands complete for £8 :/

Once again foiled/saved by already owning most of what I want on steam.

As someone who bought Shank when it came out and really wanted to like it: I don't recommend Shank even at a lower price. Very frustrating and shallow experience.

Edit: price price price price price

Tokubetsu

Johnlenham said:
all meh today. I am dissapoint.

Saying that im not really sure what there is worth buying as I forgot to get racwhatever its called the shop running rpg when it was on a daily deal and I can get the boxed version of borderlands complete for £8 :/

I've been waiting on Batman though :lol

Blizzard

Banned
Ashour said:
Tropico 3 worth it?
There's a demo for anyone who's still wondering. I liked it!

I'm still waiting on Blue Toad Murder files opinions...I think Remy was going to try it. :p Thus far people seem to say that X3 Terran Conflict is the main game worth getting from the X games. Is X3 Reunion not any good, then?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
dream said:
Thank you for your purchase!
A receipt will be emailed to you shortly.

:(
Actually, I have an LG monitor that can correct aspect ratio, so for me it's only -__-

But I did play 7 hours yesterday, lol.

Truespeed said:
This resolves nothing. Not only does it cut things off and still look distorted, as they say, but it throws off cursor alignment from where you are actually clicking. I would really much rather just have it windowed somehow; the usual force commands do nothing.

Minamu

Anyone else having trouble with PB Winterbottom? The game won't launch, just like so many other games >_< Files are validated and zero fragmentation. Latest ATI drivers and DirectX (websetup and the directx files that come with the game all say that the latest is already installed), yet i'm stuck on the installing directx redist package screen. Seems like the game actually boots into minimized and the crashes. Several people on the support forum have the same issues with varying fix success. Normally I wouldn't care but it's a xmas gift and it would be nice if the game I bought actually worked :(

Truespeed

Aquavelvaman said:
Once again foiled/saved by already owning most of what I want on steam.

As someone who bought Shank when it came out and really wanted to like it: I don't recommend Shank even at a lower price price. Very frustrating and shallow experience.

You've shanked shank!

Carm

Putting Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Double Agent in the cart, they show up as 3.99 each, but you get to check out and DA goes up to 4.99 wth.

Shaneus

cicero said:
I don't think any of those Indie packs are getting a daily deal...
Tropico Reloaded is already -75% $1.74, exactly how low were you expecting it to get. :lol
Same thing with Railroad Tycoon II Platinum -75% $1.24, and Railroad Tycoon 3 -75% $2.49. There is such a thing as being too cheap. :lol
Seriously, what the fuck is it with Sid Meier games not being available on the Australian store? I had to get Pirates! gifted and at those prices the RT games would be an instabuy, but fucking hell. That pisses me off hardcore.

On another point, which of those SC games are any good? I'm guessing it's only the latest that has evil UbiDRM but I would probably give that a miss anyway.

Balb

I'm about to get Batman Arkham Asylum, but I want to make sure to see whether the PC port is at least as good as the console versions. Any glaring DRM issues I should know about?

After some mulling over I think I might go for Double Agent, Conviction, and the Monkey Island pack (will gift the one I already own). Don't think i'll get Dragon Age, the download is simply too big.

Truespeed

Balb said:
I'm about to get Batman Arkham Asylum, but I want to make sure to see whether the PC port is at least as good as the console versions. Any glaring DRM issues I should know about?

It's the definitive version by far.

Wallach

Balb said:

I think it still uses SecuROM with an activation limit (which might be on a per-month basis or something, I don't remember). Never got in my way honestly.

The game itself is a fucking fantastic port and is the best version easily.

Firestorm

Back in the day I was bad at Steam and bought Dragon Age for $37.50 and never played it. I might play it this year. Are the content packs worth the $10 more over Awakening?

kamspy

Double Agent is unplayable on PC.

Controls are fucked for kbm and controller. I don't know how they fucked it up so bad.

kai3345

Banned
Firestorm said:
Back in the day I was bad at Steam and bought Dragon Age for $37.50 and never played it. I might play it this year. Are the content packs worth the $10 more over Awakening?
the content packs (combined of course) provided far more enjoyment than Awakenings did. (I think that's what youre asking)

Carm

Balb said:

Unless they changed the DRM it's 4 activations per month and a revoke tool. I'd prefer zero DRM but the DRM in Batman:AA I can tolerate. The pc version is the best version by far, very worth every penny I spent when I pickedi it up.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Snuggler said:
I know next to nothing about Flatout: UC, but fuck it, it's only $2. I need a good arcade racer in my Steam lineup anyways...

I almost bought the Dragon Age complete edition since $24.99 is a good price, but I shouldn't spend any more for now. Must resist.
You should have bought Burnout. Flatout isn't even worth 50 cents.

Ah hah finally Dragon Age: Ultimate is mine! What a great deal. I own the retail version of the original (also PC) and figured I'd wait it out for a steam sale to re-buy the game, plus get the XPac and all DLC for the price of the retail XPac :D

Speaking of which... is it possible to re-use my retail copy, or is it DRM-happy? I'd like to give it away to a friend, doesn't do me much good having two copies of the game.

Personally, I'm only looking for a great deal on Oblivion GOTY edition and SimCity 4 and then shut my wallet down. Steam sales are killer... so far I got:

1) Fallout3 GOTY
2) Puzzle Quest
3) The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
4) Bioshock 2
5) Lara Croft Guardian of Light
6) Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition

Add to that just before the steam XMas sale I bought Amnesa: The Dark Descent, Machinarium, and Left4Dead 2 when they had weekend sales as well.

A small list compared to some of you guys, but toss in Oblivion and SimCity4 and I'm more than happy :D

Shaneus

enzo_gt said:
You should have bought Burnout. Flatout isn't even worth 50 cents.
It's awesome fun, if a little shallow. It's more Destruction Derby than Burnout, but enjoyable nonetheless. I'd not hesitate in buying it if it was cheap.

CiSTM

Banned
I'm pretty much done buying games for this year. I still wait for good deals on following games:

- Mirror's Edge
- Dead Space
- Lost Horizon
- SimCity 4
- Alternative
- Bloodlines

If nothing comes up I'm done for this sale.

Balb

Thanks for the input, guys. I purchased Batman, though the servers are too busy for me to install the game right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom