• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomsk

Party Pooper
LocoMrPollock said:

Well now I'm certainly tempted, it's cheaper to re-buy the whole game than it would be to get the DLC on 360 where I already own it...

Who am I kidding, I'd probably never play it :lol

Niblet

Picked up Monkey Island special edition bundle. Never played any of them, been meaning to. It sucks the steam version is windows only, even though telltale has a mac version.

Truespeed

Dice said:
This resolves nothing. Not only does it cut things off and still look distorted, as they say, but it throws off cursor alignment from where you are actually clicking. I would really much rather just have it windowed somehow; the usual force commands do nothing.

Have you tried placing a "fullscreen = 0" in the config file? Not sure if it will work, but worth a try.

enzo_gt said:
You should have bought Burnout. Flatout isn't even worth 50 cents.

Ultimate Carnage is actually pretty good. I enjoy it a hell of a lot more than Burnout: Paradise.

Aside from the graphics, it's a great fucking game with a ton of different shit and mini-games to do, and the career mode is awesome and lengthy with many cars to buy, sell and upgrade.

I don't get the hate. Especially for 2 fucking dollars.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
LocoMrPollock said:
Ultimate Carnage is actually pretty good. I enjoy it a hell of a lot more than Burnout: Paradise.

Aside from the graphics, it's a great fucking game with a ton of different shit and mini-games to do, and the career mode is awesome and lengthy with many cars to buy, sell and upgrade.

I don't get the hate. Especially for 2 fucking dollars.
When Burnout was 3 dollars more, I can't see how I'd rather pick up Flat-Out instead. Was a clusterfuck on consoles, with shitty, shitty controls. Fundamentals are lacking, where as Paradise is one of the most complete gaming packages this gen. They're like polar opposites to me, and to many.

Nabs

enzo_gt said:
When Burnout was 3 dollars more, I can't see how I'd rather pick up Flat-Out instead. Was a clusterfuck on consoles, with shitty, shitty controls. Fundamentals are lacking, where as Paradise is one of the most complete gaming packages this gen. They're like polar opposites to me, and to many.
Yup. Put that $2 dollars on another racer.

Truespeed

enzo_gt said:

They're probably like polar opposites because they're not even the same type of game. Flatout 2 and UC are well worth what they're currently asking for in my opinion.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
enzo_gt said:
Flatout UC has a pretty good destruction derby mode. Burnout Paradise doesn't even have a crash mode. Also, splosions.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Truespeed said:
Have you tried placing a "fullscreen = 0" in the config file? Not sure if it will work, but worth a try.
It worked! Is this the same engine as Civ IV?

It kicked Windows out of Aero mode but whatever.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Chriswok said:
Trying to install Battlefield 2, but its just hanging on Step 1 of 3 of First Time Set up (Punkbuster).
Minimize all of your Windows, Punkbuster installs behind everything and you need to click some stuff before Steam goes any further,

Truespeed

Dice said:
It worked! Is this the same engine as Civ IV?

It kicked Windows out of Aero mode but whatever.

Don't know. Pirates was released in 2005 and Civ IV in 2007. But, if you're also looking to kick Civ IV into windowed mode then it should also work.

CiSTM said:
I'm pretty much done buying games for this year. I still wait for good deals on following games:

- Mirror's Edge
- Dead Space
- Lost Horizon
- SimCity 4
- Alternative
- Bloodlines

If nothing comes up I'm done for this sale.

Thhere's a 62.5% sale going on on EA Downloads, you can get some of those for 4 bucks a piece or so..

enzo_gt said:

They're pretty different games in my opinion.

Paradise is a very shallow experience, it was really only fun in multi-player and even that got old after doing all the challenges. Single player you'd do the exact same things 50 times and get a license upgrade, rinse and repeat.

Flatout is way more complete with the career mode and then all the other stuff you can do. Come on, bowling by making your driver fly out of the windshield at 200 mph towards the pins? And the controls are perfect with a 360 controller.

Sanjay

Balb said:
Thanks for the input, guys. I purchased Batman, though the servers are too busy for me to install the game right now.

You just bought one of the best games made in the last decade.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Sanjay said:
Nabs has the same gpu as you, plays at 1080p with 4/8AA and is locked at 60fps and above. You have a dual core at 3ghz, he as a quad but I don't think this game even takes advantage of that. You to me clearly have a software problem.

Are you using AA? Have you tried to play with the lowest settings possible to see if it improves your fps count?
I'm not using AA, I'm not using Vsync. Game itself only allows you to change resolution and vsync on/off so there's nothing I can fiddle with there.

And you know what? I'm gonna scan my computer, never know if there's something nasty eating cpu cycles in the bottom of your hdd. Better safe than sorry :D

smurfx

get some go again
hey i bought super meat boy and installed it but when i try to run it i get this message.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly, Windows will close the close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

i have vista 32bit. is this a driver problem? anybody else have this problem before?

I only bought the Monkey Island pack today. I only got the first game out of it though, as I got the second one when it was in the November sales. Still can't argue with that price though, even for just one of them.

I considered getting Tropico 3, as that's had my interest for a while, but it strikes me as the kind of game I should try first. Besides, I can borrow a copy on 360 from somebody.

I would like to give a big hearty fuck you to steam! I was not even thinking about buying games this year as my big thing is blu ray collecting and yet, Valve sucks me in yet again!! GRRR, i got so far:

Batman:AA
Monkey island bundle
Flatout 1 and 2
Tropcio 3
Wings of Prey
And yet it moves
Gish
Jolly Rover
Misadventures of PB winterbottom
OPF: Dragon Rising
Railworks 2
Samorost 2
Mr. Robot

fatty

For the longest time I kept thinking Flatout was actually Full Auto, which I played on the 360 (and liked). Might still give Flatout: UC a chance.

Truespeed

fatty said:
For the longest time I kept thinking Flatout was actually Full Auto, which I played on the 360 (and liked). Might still give Flatout: UC a chance.

Destruction Derby mode and the Mini games alone are worth it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
LocoMrPollock said:
Paradise is a very shallow experience, it was really only fun in multi-player and even that got old after doing all the challenges. Single player you'd do the exact same things 50 times and get a license upgrade, rinse and repeat.
This is very true. They should have had all the collection and stunt/stat achievements and whatnot contribute to your license progress. It was incredibly annoying to have to race the same old boring route of Dumbfuck Point to Easyshit Pier for the not-exaggerating 100th time just to unlock a car that you can only use to do the same stuff again.

bulovski

Neo Member
bulovski said:
arghhhh have been waiting for DAO:UE for ages and it's not available in my region.
does anyone know if a user in a different region can gift games to another where the game is not available?
anyone please? thx

MysticX

Truespeed said:
Destruction Derby mode and the Mini games alone are worth it.

I haven´t played F1 or F2 but UC is awesome, don´t understand the hate. It still, or did still have a multiplayer community, and Destruction Derby online is awesome.

Inkwell

Banned
I own Dragon Age: Origins already. I'm thinking about getting Awakening. Is it worth buying Awakening, or should I get the Ultimate Edition for the added DLC?

Nabs

Easy_D said:
I'm not using AA, I'm not using Vsync. Game itself only allows you to change resolution and vsync on/off so there's nothing I can fiddle with there.

And you know what? I'm gonna scan my computer, never know if there's something nasty eating cpu cycles in the bottom of your hdd. Better safe than sorry :D
try installing the 10.10e driver set.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
smurfx said:
hey i bought super meat boy and installed it but when i try to run it i get this message.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly, Windows will close the close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

i have vista 32bit. is this a driver problem? anybody else have this problem before?
Have you tried opening up the report and seeing if it contains more info? It might help you pin down the problem.

Just seen the huge discounts on batman and RFG, tempted to pay the £6 total to own them both on steam just for the hell of it...oh no i'm turning!

Smash88

Banned
I was kinda hoping to get either Fallout 3 GOTY, Fallout NV, or Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition this Christmas, but all of them are way too high, kinda sucks. Nothing for me today as well. :D

Xamdou

MysticX said:
Get a wired 360 controller, makes all the difference in the world, kb/m isn´t bad or anything, it´s just fantastic using the 360 controller.

Do I need a software driver for the wired controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom