• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mairu

Chriswok said:
They did?! Argh crap. Wait, Unreal haven't been in the Daily Deals this sale, yet! Oh you trickster!
They had a cheap Unreal Ultimate Pack or something similar a few days ago

Gin

question - i have installed Dragon Age : Origins via CD when the game originally came out.

Can I buy Dragon Age - Origins Awakenings via steam ?

jfulw9.jpg

markot

Banned
Gin said:
question - i have installed Dragon Age : Origins via CD when the game originally came out.

Can I buy Dragon Age - Origins Awakenings via steam ?
Have to have it on steam, cant buy the xpac on steam unless you got it on steam. Well you can buy it but it wont work >.<

Firestorm

Smash88 said:
I was kinda hoping to get either Fallout 3 GOTY, Fallout NV, or Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition this Christmas, but all of them are way too high, kinda sucks. Nothing for me today as well. :D
$25 for game + expansion + 9 DLC is too high?

.nimrod

Is DA:OU worth buying for the story alone?
I'm not that much into rpgs, but i'd be interested in a good story to play for the next 1-2 weeks.

Shank looks interesting, but expensive.. SecuROM in Batman, Online check in Conviction.. *sigh*

The only games I want left are Chaos Theory and Double Agent..

I have Chaos Theory on XBOX and I want Double Agent on XBOX (only worthy version AFAIR..)

Gah, nothing today then..

.nimrod said:
Is DA:OU worth buying for the story alone?
I'm not that much into rpgs, but i'd be interested in a good story to play for the next 1-2 weeks.

There are some interesting episodes but the overarching story feels like a LOTR rip off.

Truespeed

tahrikmili said:
Shank looks interesting, but expensive.. SecuROM in Batman, Online check in Conviction.. *sigh*

The only games I want left are Chaos Theory and Double Agent..

I have Chaos Theory on XBOX and I want Double Agent on XBOX (only worthy version AFAIR..)

Gah, nothing today then..

SecuROM gets a bad rap, but it's really not that bad because it's not very intrusive unlike the other DRM schemes. In the case of Batman, it's 4 activations per month and it has a deactivation tool.

kamspy

UrbanRats said:
Sorry for the repost but: Splinter Cell DA, what are the differences between the PC and 360 version?

360 version: good
PC version: terrible. unplayable. waster of money no matter how little.

I love Splinter Cell games. I own DA on Steam. Don't make my mistake.

Chaos Theory on the other hand hasn't aged a day graphically and controls like a dream on kbm. DA manages to be broken with kbm or controller.

Nabs

Truespeed said:
SecuROM gets a bad rap, but it's really not that bad because it's not very intrusive unlike the other DRM schemes. In the case of Batman, it's 4 activations per month and it has a deactivation tool.
i had shit with securom and gta iv. actually, gfwl and rockstar social club all gave me shit with that game. it's why i had to uninstall it :(

Easy_D said:
I already did, making sure there were no leftovers when I reinstalled them, even. :(. I'm cursed :lol

damn.

.nimrod

Gully State said:
There are some interesting episodes but the overarching story feels like a LOTR rip off.
Well, i haven't even watched Return of the King yet or read any of the books. So would that be a good thing or a bad thing for me :D

bulovski said:
Yes. Excellent story and writing.
Thanks, +1 for buying it then

MW2 should really be cheaper, but Activision and all.

Damage report so far:
FEAR Complete Pack
Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands/Sands of Time
Warrior Within
Two Thrones
Winterbottom
Lara Croft GoL
Burnout Paradise
Battlefield BC2
Just Cause 2
King Arthur Pack
Monkey Island Bundle
Total: $54.96

God damn you Gabe.

Truespeed said:
Its intrusive when it installs hidden files and drivers, which most forms av Securom does.

x3sphere

Nabs said:
i had shit with securom and gta iv. actually, gfwl and rockstar social club all gave me shit with that game. it's why i had to uninstall it :(

Same here - I actually had to resort to using a crack. SecuROM would crash at startup, tried many solutions but none fixed my problem. And I don't have any virtual drive software installed.

That's t he only game I've had trouble with SecuROM though. Everything else has worked fine. Still I wish pubs would avoid DRM schemes like that, Steam itself is a good enough deterrent. In fact, it's actually the best solution as you can completely avoid zero day piracy with Steamworks.

kamspy said:

Chaos Theory on the other hand hasn't aged a day graphically and controls like a dream on kbm. DA manages to be broken with kbm or controller.
Really? Huh. I've had absolutely zero issues with my PC DA and still think it plays better than the copy I played on 360. Wonder why you had such issues...

I guess its something you have to take a risk on.

UrbanRats

kamspy said:

Thanks, saved some money. :)

kamspy

So the entire UK EA store is 62.5% off. Which means I can get NFS Shift for around $8.

I wonder if it's gonna be a daily deal. The EA think is a one day sale.

It's a great way to get a BC2 'Nam key for $6 too.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Excited about getting Dragon Age Ultimate!

And that Civ 5 price is horrible. Good thing the Civ 3 and 4 complete packs are priced criminally low. Felt like I mugged Firaxis on those!

bee

CecilRousso said:
Its intrusive when it installs hidden files and drivers, which most forms av Securom does.

you would have a point if they had ring 0 level access like the classic hated starforce 3 did, but securom only has ring 3 level access i.e normal application level

Blizzard

Banned
bee said:
you would have a point if they had ring 0 level access like the classic hated starforce 3 did, but securom only has ring 3 level access i.e normal application level
If I'm not mistaken, the highest level of SecuROM (level 7?) used to have ring 0 kernel access or whatever, and could occasionally cause issues with DVD drives and/or virtual drive tools. I think that SecuROM flavor has either been stopped or is much less common, however.

Asparagus

kamspy said:
So the entire UK EA store is 62.5% off. Which means I can get NFS Shift for around $8.

I wonder if it's gonna be a daily deal. The EA think is a one day sale.

It's a great way to get a BC2 'Nam key for $6 too.

Wow, thanks for the heads up, using the earlier code (o3gfubinq) I just got Hot Pursuit for £11.24.

bee said:

He has a point because that shit can severely affect system stability, and you will have no idea what's going on or how to fix it.

ArjanN

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Really? Huh. I've had absolutely zero issues with my PC DA and still think it plays better than the copy I played on 360. Wonder why you had such issues...

I guess its something you have to take a risk on.

I think most of that got patched. It was also pretty demanding at the time, but by nowadays standards it's not demanding at all. IMO all the Splinter Cell games were better on PC.

Ok, so I thought I was not going to buy anything today but since I've been enjoying Mass Effect more and more these days and I missed the ME2 sale I'm thinking about getting Dragon Age. I'm much more into SciFi than medieval kind of stuff, but I think I might get into it too. Is the Ultimate version worth the extra 5 bucks over the normal one considering I'm not a very experienced RPG player?

I think I will get Batman too :/

Shaneus

Chriswok said:
They did?! Argh crap. Wait, Unreal haven't been in the Daily Deals this sale, yet! Oh you trickster!
Shit, sorry... I knew there was a deal but it wasn't a daily deal, it's just an Unreal pack that lasts the duration of the sale. Probably not going to get any cheaper :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom