• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

kamspy said:
360 version: good
PC version: terrible. unplayable. waster of money no matter how little.

I love Splinter Cell games. I own DA on Steam. Don't make my mistake.

Chaos Theory on the other hand hasn't aged a day graphically and controls like a dream on kbm. DA manages to be broken with kbm or controller.
If you buy Chaos Theory and Conviction, it's $19.97. If you add DA it discounts both enough to cover the cost, bringing the total to... $19.95 :lol

Now really only debating whether to get Chaos TheoryConviction Deluxe or regular.

bytesized said:
Ok, so I thought I was not going to buy anything today but since I've been enjoying Mass Effect more and more these days and I missed the ME2 sale I'm thinking about getting Dragon Age. I'm much more into SciFi than medieval kind of stuff, but I think I might get into it too. Is the Ultimate version worth the extra 5 bucks over the normal one considering I'm not a very experienced RPG player?

I think I will get Batman too :/
I am sure some places still have ME2 on sale, you might want to look around.

Edit: I mean I am not a big fan of ME2 but I liked it more than Dragon Age.

Gin

markot said:
Have to have it on steam, cant buy the xpac on steam unless you got it on steam. Well you can buy it but it wont work >.<

boo urns =/

O well I will wait for DA2 to come out.. for sure the DA Ultimate version will tank in price

Lostconfused said:
I am sure some places still have ME2 on sale, you might want to look around.

Edit: I mean I am not a big fan of ME2 but I liked it more than Dragon Age.

Crap, it's true! It's less than 10 bucks at the EA store! Thanks! :)

EDIT: BTW, does anyone know if I can activate the game in Steam if I buy it from the EA store?

Big-E

Always wanted to try the X series but never jumped in as the price on these sales was just too high. This price for those many games I think is worth it.

Big-E said:
Always wanted to try the X series but never jumped in as the price on these sales was just too high. This price for those many games I think is worth it.

Why not just buy the latest and presumably best game in the series, and save even more money?

bytesized said:
Crap, it's true! It's less than 10 bucks at the EA store! Thanks! :)

EDIT: BTW, does anyone know if I can activate the game in Steam if I buy it from the EA store?
Nope sorry. ME2 doesn't have steamworks. You can only activate any games that have steamworks enabled. But I am sure you will have fun with ME2 and hey next year if you really want it on steam it might be $5. Who are we kidding, it will still be $10 but then ME3 will be out.

Big-E

CecilRousso said:
Why not just buy the latest and presumably best game in the series, and save even more money?

I know and I might still do that but then I won't add 5 games to my library.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
bulovski said:
thanks. answered my query about inter-region gifting. UK store it is.

Yes. Excellent story and writing.
I'd like some more clarification on this, because I've heard that, like Mass Effect, the writing and characters are good, but, like Mass Effect, the overall story is pretty cliche and not very interesting. Anyone else want to weigh in? I've avoided DA:O based on an hour played of a friends copy and what I've heard that makes it seem like the combat is the only real reason to play it.

Big-E said:
I know and I might still do that but then I won't add 5 games to my library.

You can safely just get Terran Conflict and ignore the rest. It's actually a kind of pseudo redux of X3 from what I've read. Trust me, that one game alone will be more than enough to satisfy your space trader pangs.

vazel

Banned
MysticX said:
I was once gonna buy that since I already have 2 wireless 360 and a wheel only to find out that it keeps burning up and isn´t worth the trouble. Just what I heard, researched a little bit and decided to get a wired one instead.
I've heard that too. But that was for the official wireless dongle. Maybe that knockoff from dealextreme doesn't have that issue? Wouldn't surprise me when Microsoft hardware is involved.

Ceebs

Big-E said:
I have been a casualty for a long time now. At 129 games and surely that is going to grow.
Thank god I never fell victim to Steam fever. God knows how many I would have if my purchases were not spread around every DD portal known to man and stacks of retail cases.

biocat

Unknown Soldier said:
I missed out on Recettear 66% off, looks like the normal sale price is 50% off ($10), should I buy this damn game already?? :lol

Last year, the final day was a compilation of the better sellers from the previous daily deals. I would wait unless you're really hard-up.

Max

I am not Max
FromTheFuture said:
Does anyone know whether the Steam version of Splinter Cell: Double Agent is the original or the remake?
Remake? You mean if it's the 360/ps3 or the xbox/ps2 version? I believe it's the former.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
I grabbed Tropico 3 and Civilization 4. Should I just play the base game first without the add ons/expansions and then download them? Or do they enhance the core game?? Thanks...my first two PC game purchases since HL2 and Farcry. Woot woot.

Ledsen

Beatbox said:
I grabbed Tropico 3 and Civilization 4. Should I just play the base game first without the add ons/expansions and then download them? Or do they enhance the core game?? Thanks...my first two PC game purchases since HL2 and Farcry. Woot woot.

You should download Beyond the Sword and nothing else to get the full experience.

biocat

Beatbox said:
Can't say for Tropico, but Civ4 only gets better with the expansions and you'll miss nothing installing them from the start.

(edit) Like Ledsen said, installing Beyond the Sword installs everything, including the base game. Just install that.

Laekon

I'm done with this sales as Dragon Age Awakening was the only game I was waiting for. I might pick up Morrowind if it goes low enough as I can't find my disc anymore.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Anyone else having problems with purchases being declined? I am trying to gift a game and Steam keeps on rejecting my debit card, even though I have had zero problems in the past.

Cheech

Some of you guys are so fucking cheap, I swear... :lol

Civ V and Recettear are values at any price. The fact that there's any discount at all is gravy.

Put 12-13 hours into Recettear, which for the $10 I spent (I gifted 3 copies to friends at the $6.80 sale price) is a bargain. Civ V, COUNTLESS hours since I paid full pop for the deluxe edition at $60 back in June(?) when the game launched.

Two of the better games in the sale by a long shot, IMO.

I have DA:O the original game only on Steam. I also have an old saved game from it. If I buy DA:O Ultimate Edition now, uninstall my original Steam version, and install this one, how do I transfer my old saved game from it and will it even work with all the other crap added on?

I got through the Fade with my old saved game and don't really want to do that again, so starting over would not be ideal for me. :lol

Blizzard

Banned
Archie said:
Anyone else having problems with purchases being declined? I am trying to gift a game and Steam keeps on rejecting my debit card, even though I have had zero problems in the past.
I had that problem earlier, and even attempts to buy using my Steam wallet. I have a support request in at the moment but haven't heard anything back. I hope they get it fixed by tomorrow. *edit* Still getting authorization failure. Can't buy the gift to help a friend out. :(

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Blizzard said:
I had that problem earlier, and even attempts to buy using my Steam wallet. I have a support request in at the moment but haven't heard anything back. I hope they get it fixed by tomorrow. *edit* Still getting authorization failure. Can't buy the gift to help a friend out. :(

I just bought a $0.49 game to see if it was rejecting all purchases, and it went through just fine. smh. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom