• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Is there any way to improve Steam performance in Windows 7? I just did a clean install to finally move on from Vista, I installed the latest display drivers, etc., but Steam Windows still fade in and out, like with slight delay. Also, before the client started responding to let me turn off game images, it froze completely for like 5 minutes to load and display all the pictures.

rj118

I was having declined credit card issues earlier but I think it's because I kept trying to send gifts to my own email. Maybe steam has some kind of unlisted limit to how many unredeemed gifts can be sitting at one email at a time. as soon as I tried gifting to my 2nd gmail address it worked fine.

Goon Boon

Banned
Has steam ever done a sale on a preorder outside of the "preorder this get it for 10 to 15% off" deal? Wanna get MNC but wanna make sure it wont go super meat boy for $3

Blizzard

Banned
rj118 said:
I was having declined credit card issues earlier but I think it's because I kept trying to send gifts to my own email. Maybe steam has some kind of unlisted limit to how many unredeemed gifts can be sitting at one email at a time. as soon as I tried gifting to my 2nd gmail address it worked fine.
I tried using the steam wallet to send the gift to an email address...still gave an authorization failure. X_x

Brak

Here's a quick review of Hacker Evolution for anyone who's thinking of buying the Indie Future Pack.

Contrary to this game's description, it is not a hacking sim. Rather, it is essentially a text adventure/puzzle game wrapped in a hacker facade. The game is divided in to 10 chapters where you will scan websites, decrypt keys, and crack passwords in order to complete level objectives. Puzzling out how to complete your objectives without getting traced can be quite fulfilling. However, you will find yourself frustrated by a number of things. Firstly, the game's tutorial and help menus are mostly useless. They don't enumerate all of the syntax at your command, and the descriptions that do exist are unhelpful. Once you do figure out how to actually play the game, you may find that you have played yourself in to a corner and have to restart the whole game from scratch. This is essentially just a couple of poor design choices and overall shouldn't impede your enjoyment of the game. If you were fascinated by mid 90s cyberpunk hacker culture, then you'll dig this game. 7/10

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
For those having issues making purchases -

If you're getting declined everywhere its probably on steams end. What probably happened is a hold was put on your account by steams rather overzealous anti-fraud system. If you can't wait, open a ticket asking for the hold to be removed, and they should fix it within 3-4 hours, otherwise it should hopefully be gone naturally by morning

What is the last day of the sale? I'm thinking about Recettear and Lara Croft but I missed the extra % off days, so I'm going to wait until the last day to see if there's a replay.

I still want to get DA:O Ultimate Edition but nobody has answered my question on how to transfer my saved game yet.

Marc :D

Neo Member
Unknown Soldier said:
What is the last day of the sale? I'm thinking about Recettear and Lara Croft but I missed the extra % off days, so I'm going to wait until the last day to see if there's a replay.

I still want to get DA:O Ultimate Edition but nobody has answered my question on how to transfer my saved game yet.

Jan 2nd 2011

Ceebs

Tropico 3 is just stunning to look at. Just played through the tutorials and the overall vibe of the game made me forget that it has been snowing all day. Bright colors and a fantastic soundtrack really make a world of difference.

Cipherr

Oh my god at TF2, I think I just dropped about 2 hours into it :lol :lol :lol Crazy fun. I love the hilarious sound bites. "The freakin cart stopped!"

Christ I just died when I heard that.

Safe Bet said:
Read that as Fallout 1 and 2 and almost had a heart attack.

: (
You can still get both of them for $12. Its a pretty good price if you actually wanted to buy those two games.
Unknown Soldier said:
I just want to move them from my existing DA:O original game install to the DA:O Ultimate Edition install I'm thinking of buying.
I don't know. I guess you can move them out of the save folder and them move them back into the save folder, if that does anything. I doubt it though.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Safe Bet said:
Read that as Fallout 1 and 2 and almost had a heart attack.

: (

You and me both, buddy. For whatever reason, the old Fallout games go on sale as often at VTM: Bloodlines.

soldat7

Is there a demo for DA: Origins? I don't know if my system will run it well...(quad-core i7, 512 laptop nvidia graphics card, 4gb ram, 1920x1080)

kai3345

Banned
whew. ok 3 hours left at 300kb/s

sure thats not as fast as I normally am, but at least its constant and not roller-coastering from 0 to 300 back and forth

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Will I be pushing it trying to play Red Faction Guerilla with a 2Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB Ram and a 4850 at 1680x1050?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Cipherr said:
Oh my god at TF2, I think I just dropped about 2 hours into it :lol :lol :lol Crazy fun. I love the hilarious sound bites. "The freakin cart stopped!"

Oh man, the voice work in TF2 is so ace:
"Thanks for standing still, wanker"
"Sandvich and I are coming for you!"

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I wish I wouldn't have missed the JC2 sale a few days ago. I finally got around to downloading the demo Thursday night and it plays perfect on my machine. It was a big step up from 360 performance.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
HamPster PamPster said:
Splinter Cell Conviction: The Deluxe Edition includes Infiltration Mode, Shadow Armor and 3 bonus weapons.

Should I buy the deluxe? What is Infiltration Mode?
IIRC, infiltration mode is terrorist hunt on special maps/co-op campaign maps where you can't be detected at all. The regular version of the game has elimination mode or something like that where getting detected leads to more guys coming.

Blizzard

Banned
Mutagenic said:
I wish I wouldn't have missed the JC2 sale a few days ago. I finally got around to downloading the demo Thursday night and it plays perfect on my machine. It was a big step up from 360 performance.
It's been on sale like three times in the last month. You -might- get lucky and have it show up again in the last day of Christmas sales.

smurfx

get some go again
tried installing super meat boy on another pc and it doesn't work as well. wtf is this shit? only game on steam i've ever had a problem with.

Just got back home and I'm fuckin' glad to see Tropico on that list. I was the only one asking about it even if no one paid attention.

Tropico GET!

Also, does anyone know if those flatout games are any good?

mannerbot

ElectricBlue187 said:
I really should get Civ V for that price. It hardly ever drops in price

Hm, if you weren't kidding here maybe you should wait if you're on the fence. That actually seems to be more or less the going rate and I've seen it at $30 a few times already. It's a Steamworks game so buying the retail version lets you add it on Steam as well.

Lkr

Cipherr said:

I love seeing people that are just getting into TF2. they don't realize they are about to lose their life
get on the freaking point!
bonk!
ENGINEER IS CREDIT TO TEAM!

_Bro said:
Who is ready for a Chaos Theory Multiplayer renaissance?

This is super late, but I just want to warn people buying Chaos Theory that the multiplayer has some serious issues on PC- the biggest being that the Merc's flashlight doesn't work on most modern video cards. There may be a fix but I just wanted people to be aware of it before buying it.

Lumine said:
Oh my god this is on Steam?

*contemplates*

So is the original Sonic the Hedgehog. I dont have an xbox 360 controller though and I'm not sure how it would control with one anyway. But damn I would love to own it. I'm just waiting for impressions and a controller before I will bite.

duckroll

matthsv said:
Will I be pushing it trying to play Red Faction Guerilla with a 2Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB Ram and a 4850 at 1680x1050?

If you're using Windows XP and/or playing in Direct X 9, it should be totally fine.

chixdiggit

Really want the Splinter Cell games but I have such a huge backlog now. I also would love to replay Batman on the PC but again backlog.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
If you're using Windows XP and/or playing in Direct X 9, it should be totally fine.
Using Windows 7, I assume I'll be able to force DX9 mode? Also thanks so much for replying.

legend166

Is the Chaos Theory single player worth it? I always heard people say how great the multiplayer was, but I doubt that's going to be active anymore.

darthbob

legend166 said:
Is the Chaos Theory single player worth it? I always heard people say how great the multiplayer was, but I doubt that's going to be active anymore.

To me, it was the first game that really screamed 'Next Gen', at least back in the days of the original Xbox.

Oh, and the Single Player was really fun too.

Fun != Great story, but still, I replay it every so often.

duckroll

matthsv said:
Using Windows 7, I assume I'll be able to force DX9 mode? Also thanks so much for replying.

Yes, there's an option to force DX9, I'm not sure what it is though, since I'm playing on XP. My only concern would be the 2gig of RAM, because of the higher overhead in Win7, but it shouldn't make a huge difference. The game doesn't require a powerhouse to run. There are various graphics options you can turn down too.

This Dragon Age download is starting to get annoying. Not only is it the slowest download speed I've ever experienced on Steam (an average of 300k vs the usual 1.5m+), it's the most inconsistent connection I've ever had while downloading. It stops like several times a minute, for up to several minutes. So yeah, again, it's starting to get annoying. :lol

Sigh.
8 hours since I started and I just hit the 50% mark. Anyone having better luck on a certain server? :\

atomsk

Party Pooper
Revolutionary said:
This Dragon Age download is starting to get annoying. Not only is it the slowest download speed I've ever experienced on Steam (an average of 300k vs the usual 1.5m+), it's the most inconsistent connection I've ever had while downloading. It stops like several times a minute, for up to several minutes. So yeah, again, it's starting to get annoying. :lol

Sigh.
8 hours since I started and I just hit the 50% mark. Anyone having better luck on a certain server? :\

I was on the Washington DC server all day, I'm not sure what time it finished cause I was out of the house till 9:30pm, but I started at 1pm when the sale went up. (all times EST)

Big B said:
i want a loot rpg for $3 tomorrow. make it so, steam!
I am pretty sure Titan Quest and Torchlight were already on sale. Although I guess Space Siege can be a daily deal tomorrow. I would certainly have a good laugh if it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom