• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping for a deal on the Call of Juarez games - I'd definitely double-dip for a tenner or less.

Buggy Loop said:
Red Faction guerrilla not worth it?

Definitely worth it at that price - just play the game on a lower difficulty for maximum enjoyment (too much of a grind on higher levels, with respawning enemies that are all too accurate). The physics engine is fantastic and demolishing buildings is such a blast.

Double D

Kinda want the whole Splinter Cell pack, even though I've played them all on consoles. Do the two older games look much better than their Xbox counterparts? How about any mods for these games?

Edit:How about the original Hitman? I've played the others and have milked everything out of Blood Money on the 360.

Im_Special

So gaf, I'm looking at the Monkey Island: Special Edition Bundle but know nothing about the series, any input on these games?

Also a quick look on Wikipedia says there are 5 games total, the first, second and fifth of the series are on Steam, but missing the third and forth, so is it a good idea to buy the fifth one too, or will there be big missing gaps in the story? It's sad but it's just the way I am, if I buy the first 2 games I will feel compelled to have the complete series also :lol : (

Lastly is there any word that the third and forth games in this series will be on steam sometimes in the future and is Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack actually complete as in no more incoming DLC?

Shaneus

Im_Special said:
So gaf, I'm looking at the Monkey Island: Special Edition Bundle but know nothing about the series, any input on these games?

Also a quick look on Wikipedia says there are 5 games total, the first, second and fifth of the series are on Steam, but missing the third and forth, so is it a good idea to buy the fifth one too, or will there be big missing gaps in the story? It's sad but it's just the way I am, if I buy the first 2 games I will feel compelled to have the complete series also :lol : (

Lastly is there any word that the third and forth games in this series will be on steam sometimes in the future and is Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack actually complete as in no more incoming DLC?
Buy the first two, enjoy the hell out of them. Go for the others later on, the first two stand on their own really, really well.

Basically, try to ignore the others. Not that they're bad, but the first two were the only two MI games for a really long time so the others feel a little disjointed from the first two. You won't feel ripped off if you only play the first two and you won't feel like you're missing some of the story (like episodic content can). If that makes sense :)

Im_Special said:

Input? They are the most classic adventure games you can find. It´s a no brainer for that price if you like funny adventure games.

There are no news about the third game coming to Steam so far. The forth game is complete crap so you can ignore it. Everyone else does. And it's not only a bad game, it also completely screws up the story from the first three games. There are no references to those events in the fifth game, Tales of Monkey Island.

NIN90

Im_Special said:

Geez, don't be so OCD. You will just miss a few references this way. MI is not a super story heavy game. MI1 can even be skipped in my opinion (didn't age so well) . Hell, I started with MI3 (the best one imo).

1-D_FTW

Because it can't be repeated enough: Red Faction is a very fun game. Just play it on easy. I'm above average at FPS games, so it's not because I suck. The game just doesn't really shine unless you tone down the aggravating parts. And then it's great.

Ceebs

Shaneus said:
Buy the first two, enjoy the hell out of them. Go for the others later on, the first two stand on their own really, really well.

Basically, try to ignore the others. Not that they're bad, but the first two were the only two MI games for a really long time so the others feel a little disjointed from the first two. You won't feel ripped off if you only play the first two and you won't feel like you're missing some of the story (like episodic content can). If that makes sense :)
Going from the originals to Tales of Monkey Island can seem a bit disjointed if you ask me. The tone of the games changed a lot starting with Curse.

Minsc

Gold Member
NIN90 said:
Geez, don't be so OCD. You will just miss a few references this way. MI is not a super story heavy game. MI1 can even be skipped in my opinion (didn't age so well) . Hell, I started with MI3 (the best one imo).

highfive.jpg

3 >>>>> 5 > 2 = 1... haven't played four.

The_Technomancer said:
Seriously. As one of the best stealth games ever made, Blood Money is easily worth five bucks dude.
Its not about the price, its more about finally getting a daily special for a game that I actually want. :)

kamspy

I can't figure out why DAOU is so damn big. I own the retail and it's just one disc. Awakenings is less than 4 GB.

13GB of DLC?

eznark

Banned
kamspy said:
I can't figure out why DAOU is so damn big. I own the retail and it's just one disc. Awakenings is less than 4 GB.

13GB of DLC?

DA:O decompresses to 20 GB on Impulse (I imagine it's the same on Steam). While it fits on a retail disc (it's a 7.6 GB download) there is a lot of compression to get it there.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Vik_Vaughn said:
I'd like to know as well. Bought UC, but I'll get the others if they are just as good.
I've noticed the question asked in pages before but no answers.
Eh, they're so cheap. May as well. :)

kamspy

eznark said:
DA:O decompresses to 20 GB on Impulse (I imagine it's the same on Steam). While it fits on a retail disc (it's a 7.6 GB download) there is a lot of compression to get it there.

Mother of god. I just checked mine and the folder is around 19GB:lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm...

Just a general thought

Arkum Aslyum > Conviction

There are neat parts to both, but AA does it so much better and I like how it's easier and more satisfying to set traps in AA. In Conviction, the mark-and-execute IS easy mode, and I could usually kill someone, wait for others to investigate and while they're standing around I'll shoot them too. Repeat.

Anyways, only 40 min til next sale! :D

Dreohboy

Buggy Loop said:
Red Faction guerrilla not worth it?

If we're talking pure fun, I'd say it (along with Just Cause 2) are the most fun you're going to get this year for under $10. IMHO the cover/gun play are worth spending more.

IMHO it's one of the more underrated games out there.

Kuro Madoushi said:
In Conviction, the mark-and-execute IS easy mode, and I could usually kill someone, wait for others to investigate and while they're standing around I'll shoot them too. Repeat.
Did you play of the challenge maps in conviction?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Kuro Madoushi said:
Hmm...

Just a general thought

Arkum Aslyum > Conviction

There are neat parts to both, but AA does it so much better and I like how it's easier and more satisfying to set traps in AA. In Conviction, the mark-and-execute IS easy mode, and I could usually kill someone, wait for others to investigate and while they're standing around I'll shoot them too. Repeat.

Anyways, only 40 min til next sale! :D

I grabbed Conviction off Amazon a few months back. Game was a total snore. So damn easy. I had to go out of my way (forcing you into combat moments in a SC game? Wtf) to make it somewhat more difficult. I should double dip on Chaos Theory and play a real SC game. I love that game.

Acid08 said:
Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, opinions on this game? It's $7.50 and I've been interested in this game for a while.

It starts out as an incredible adventure game and ends up as a fairly wack shooter. The port is also a little rough. Glad I played it, though.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Chacranajxy said:
Hmmm... 30 minutes left. Thinking about getting Shank now.

It's not that good though, right?
I was thinking about it as well, but I can see it being cheaper later on. Especially by the time I get around to it.

Erasus

cramcakes said:
Kind of want Dragon Age... but I have a huge backlog already.

Think it will go cheap again the last day of the sale?

Get it, it is an awesome RPG. What we think wont matter, noone knows. If you want it, get it now because its not going to get cheaper I think.

yacobod

Banned
havent really gotten that much on the sale so far, lets see what today brings

just cause 2
splinter cell conviction
monkey island pack
dragon age awakening

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I haven't purchased anything for myself in days. Feels bad, man.

I got money, Gabe. Money for you. Hook me up with something I want.

Anyone have Tropico 3 crash on them? I was about 2 hours into it and bam. Thought they had fixed that auto-saving crash bug?

Anyway, it's a wonderful game. Really digging it.

Edit: Also Red Faction: Guerrilla runs like a dream now. Well worth $5.

cramcakes said:
Kind of want Dragon Age... but I have a huge backlog already.

Think it will go cheap again the last day of the sale?

Nah, it won't get any cheaper and it's a great value as is.

I hate how during Steam sales I always check the time at 5pm, then I have a painful hour wait.

If you paid me to check the time before 6pm any other time of the year I'd forget most of the time. :lol

WEGGLES

1-D_FTW said:
Because it can't be repeated enough: Red Faction is a very fun game. Just play it on easy. I'm above average at FPS games, so it's not because I suck. The game just doesn't really shine unless you tone down the aggravating parts. And then it's great.
Hmm. Maybe I should give the game another go.

I tried it and really didn't like it, found it aggravating. Not a fun challenge, more "eugh..." any time enemies shows up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom