• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunlop

speculawyer said:
I don't know what Myst is like . . . but if it is puzzles and a point & click adventure then perhaps Puzzle Agent? I know it is not like Myst but perhaps will do?

I'll check it out once I'm back home (damn firewall at work), I think that is the gist of what she is looking for point and click adventures. She is definately not a gamer

As interesting as Mount & Blade looks, I've gotta sit that one out. Gonna allocate my remaining 'wife won't kill me' dollars for other games on my wishlist. Tempting though.

Minsc said:
I think Crysis is one of the most troubling games to get to output over on a HDTV correctly, always reading people having trouble.

I think what worked for one person was to enable image scaling (which is fairly tricky), so when you select 720p the resolution is scaled to 1080p by the card even though you're running 720p.

I think to enable that you have to go to the lower resolution to even get the box to become available, then you know it's working when you switch resolutions and your screen doesn't do that flash, it should instantly display the lower resolution.
Tried that. Doesn't work. I think I've tried everything. I want a fucking refund.

EDIT: I also don't think I made it clear that the underscan happens at any resolution. Both 720p and 1080p there is the same amount of underscan.

I even change the whole monitor's resolution to 720p when there is no underscan when not playing the game (it scales up to 1080p) but when I play the game it has underscan. FUCKING HELL.

JDS 1977

Banned
Dunlop said:
I'll check it out once I'm back home (damn firewall at work), I think that is the gist of what she is looking for point and click adventures. She is definately not a gamer

Amazon has DD versions of Darkfall 1 and 2 for like 3$ each. They are spooky style point and clicks.
Also Steam has The Longest Journey But it's only like 5-6$ on GOG.com right now.

Dunlop said:
Well if it is P&C adventures, the go-to group is TellTale. The Monkey's Island and Sam & Max games are great fun. But if she wants something more familiar there is Wallace & Gromit and the new Back to the Future games.

ne1

ashbash159:
This is surely a dumb ass suggestion but have you tried alt tabbing away from and back to it? I'm quite certain I've had a similar problem but can't quite recall how I got around it (and have no access to my gaming computer atm.) Perhaps changing the underscan setting for some other refresh rate?
Can you get any info from you monitor? Not quite certain what your looking for though, but maybe you would notice something different compared to any other output that works.

ne1 said:
ashbash159:
This is surely a dumb ass suggestion but have you tried alt tabbing away from and back to it? I'm quite certain I've had a similar problem but can't quite recall how I got around it (and have no access to my gaming computer atm.) Perhaps changing the underscan setting for some other refresh rate?
tried and failed.

Leonsito

JDS 1977 said:
Amazon has DD versions of Darkfall 1 and 2 for like 3$ each. They are spooky style point and clicks.
Also Steam has The Longest Journey But it's only like 5-6$ on GOG.com right now.

I loved the first DarkFall, very recommended game, the second one (Ligts out?) was too hard and the ambientation was poor imo.

SolarPowered said:
I just gifted a copy of Warband to my cousin after intense battling online. The fights are intense, the battle system is solid and the engine will run well on a turd of a PC.

There is nothing like upgrading to awesome staff weapons and kick ass swords that help you kill as many as four or five people without breaking a sweat or any of your momentum. The horse riding is also fun and it's hilarious to see people reviving in alleys while on their horses. This is one of those sleeper titles gaf. I expect some serious word of mouth on this one.

WOW

Yeah I hope a lot of people discover M&B Warband through this sale. It really is incredible.

It's one of those games I always keep coming back to, and while the community is small (there's only about 6-7 servers I have good ping to), it's pretty diverse and fairly stable. Lots of the same people are still playing who were playing back in March when it came out.

Somehow I have FIXED IT!

I was just fiddling around with the setting for every single resolution in the CCC.

Now my only problem is that of the game crashing whenever I change a setting. This means I can't change the AA settings for some reason even though it will allow me to change the resolution setting.

Dynoro

ashbash159 said:
Somehow I have FIXED IT!

I was just fiddling around with the setting for every single resolution in the CCC.

Now my only problem is that of the game crashing whenever I change a setting. This means I can't change the AA settings for some reason even though it will allow me to change the resolution setting.
I seem to recall something about running Crysis as Administrator to resolve this issue; I may be misremembering though or if you have interlaced enabled it crashes

Dynoro said:
I seem to recall something about running Crysis as Administrator to resolve this issue; I may be misremembering though or if you have interlaced enabled it crashes
How do you run it as admin from within steam?

Dynoro

ashbash159 said:
How do you run it as admin from within steam?
Get Steam to create a shortcut on the desktop or start menu then right click that to choose run as admin - I don't think it can be done from within Steam's client itself

Zzoram

Lumine said:
I keep coming back wanting to buy that Crysis pack, but then I'm reminded of the DRM and it keeps me from pulling the trigger. Someone please tell me the DRM isn't as bad as it sounds and I should just go for it. D:

There is a tool on EA's site you can use to recover activations before you reformat/trash your PC so you don't lose them. Also, I'm 99% sure calling EA support with the CD-key (Steam will show you) they'll give you more activations if you do somehow run out. I know people purposely ran out the 5 Spore activations and called support to see what happened, they just got 5 more activations.

Sanjay

LovingSteam said:
To him no, to me you did.

Did it make you want to play a game? take statements like that as a positive one trying to make you a pro-active gamer in the days of steam hoarders. We all go through moments where we have so many games to play people end up not wanting to play any, its a mind fuck. I will always harp on people for not playing games they own, games are like children, they are there to be played with, ignoring them would just make you a abusive gamer :| but really playing games is cool mmmkay.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
FUCK!!! I was going to buy a couple of really cheap games and a gift for someone but i accidentally blocked my sister's credit card when trying to view her purchase history, unblocking it may take awhile so i may miss all of the holiday sales, i'm an idiot :(

/Vent

krzy123

Tips for King's Bounty, don't fight every enemy you see (and get the skill that tells you the difficulty of the mobs, either you can put your cursor over the mob or right click it forgot which)

You'll have to kite some enemies and come back to them later. Oh yeah, keep tons of saves.

Toma said:
And something else:
I started to play CivCity:Rome and anyone who is slightly interested in a mixture between Civilization and SimCity should really pick it up for 1 buck.
It is definitely a solid, if not groundbreaking, and engaging city sim. Quite a good tutorial that explains everything you need to know and lots of stuff to keep track of.
The graphics arent the best but suitable and I dont really get where some of those 6/10 ratings come from. The worst review I could find ends with

While the best one ends with

http://i55.tinypic.com/ji00eg.jpg
This is the beginning of my first settlement with some housings in the middle, a stone worker, a butcher and a few storage buildings. You improve the housings by giving them what they want (e.g. water near their houses) they upgrade and give you more taxes. Research is also available with lots of research trees as is troop combat (which I couldnt test yet)

Pick it up during the sale if you are into these kind of games. I probably wouldnt have bought it for the normal price of 10$, but 1$ and only 9 people (of which no one has played it) in my 140 Gaf friends list having bought this is really doing the game a bit injustice.

Steam Link for 1$/€

Edit: The only thing that bugs me a bit atm is that there is no window mode and the graphics get stretched. I will play it even with slightly stretched graphics since it seems to be a nice game, but I am still looking for a fix.

No... not... going... to... purchase

arrrgg, this is so hard. I loved Caesar III back in the day, played it until I lost the disc and was a very sad man.

I want this game, but I just can't justify another game in my head. But 99 cents is a great price but...

GAF, stop tempting me

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
balladofwindfishes said:

arrrgg, this is so hard. I loved Caesar III back in the day, played it until I lost the disc and was a very sad man.

I want this game, but I just can't justify another game in my head. But 99 cents is a great price but...

GAF, stop tempting me

It is basically Caesar in 3D.
The only thing thats bothering me is the rather small map size, but other than that.. for 1$ its basically a gift. And I dont assume that a rather unknown game like this will be on any similar sale for quiiiite a while. Get it now if you want it at all.

shagg_187 said:
I knew I shouldn't have come to this thread! :/

CivCity:Rome looks interesting!
SimCity 4 for $5. DAMN!!
Civilization IV: The Complete Edition for $6? DAMNN!!!!!

How's Ghost Master? Costs a buck! :p

Also, if you have to pick 3 games from the Sim/Civ list, which one would you do?

Well right now I am advertising CivCity, just because its so damn cheap and too overlooked. Civ IV Complete is the best package you can probably get right now from all the Civs though.
I'd say the 3 Civs you listed are quite a good choice for a "Steam Civ Pack" right now.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
kennah said:
Why were you looking at shit that is none of your business.

She gave me access in order being able to confirm her credit card with paypal, unfortunately things didn't go according to plan :lol

;(

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
balladofwindfishes said:

GAF, stop tempting me
:lol This is me. Ceasar III, Cleopatra, Zeus... I loved those games. However, I played plenty of them and this doesn't seem as full-featured. It's time for me to move on to Civ IV which I just bought this week.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Zzoram said:
There is a tool on EA's site you can use to recover activations before you reformat/trash your PC so you don't lose them. Also, I'm 99% sure calling EA support with the CD-key (Steam will show you) they'll give you more activations if you do somehow run out. I know people purposely ran out the 5 Spore activations and called support to see what happened, they just got 5 more activations.
A.) The tool doesn't support OG Crysis.
B.) They gave me back one activation, not five.

Double D

Damage so far:
Bad Company 2 - $6.75
WinterBottom - $.49
Witcher - $4.99
Indie Kids Pack - $4.99
Mass Effect 2 - $9.99
Flatout: UC - $2.00
Monkey Island SE Bundle - $2.49 (?)
Dirt 2 - $4.99
Crysis Warhead - $4.99

Total - 14 games for $41.68

Dynoro said:
Get Steam to create a shortcut on the desktop or start menu then right click that to choose run as admin - I don't think it can be done from within Steam's client itself
Even running it as an admin doesn't work.

Quite frustrating since I'm trying to work out the best settings for me.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
ashbash159 said:
Somehow I have FIXED IT!

Try running it in directx9 mode, I forget the command.

Dynoro

ashbash159 said:
Even running it as an admin doesn't work.

Quite frustrating since I'm trying to work out the best settings for me.
Try excluding your virus scanner from checking the My Games/Crysis folder in your users folder as it looks like its an issue with the way the folder permissions are handled.

EDIT: looks like you may also have to change the permissions for your My Games/Crysis folder to give Everyone (every user on the PC) access to read/write the folder/subfolder

I'm officially north of $100 after yesterday, but I've finally grabbed everything I was really hoping for out of this sale (except for Civ 5, but I think that's proven itself to not drop to a price I'd like to see this year).

Still, looking forward to some surprises over the next few days. I could see myself dropping another $5 on Dead Space for one. Starting to think about CivCity: Rome again too, ffs.

Salaadin

Figured it was worth a mention since I had to fix some Crysis issues myself a few weeks ago. Im running Windows 7 64bit and Steam doesnt carry the 64bit version of Crysis even though the disc version does. If you goto the steamapps/common/Crysis directory, youll see a Bin32 folder and thats it.

I had a friend send me his Bin64 folder from the disc version. I placed it in the same directory as the Bin32 but the game still wouldnt launch because Steam always wants to load from Bin32. I renamed my original Bin32 folder to "Bin32 old" and then named the Bin64 that my friend sent me to "Bin32". Now Steam goes into Bin32 to boot Crysis but actually boots 64bit Crysis.

Have you tried Warhead at all because I had crashing issues with Warhead too. That was an easier fix because it comes with both Bin32 and Bin64 but Steam still wanted to load from Bin32. I just renamed Bin64 to Bin32 and vice versa so steam loads the 64bit version of Warhead too.

Do this only if youre running a 64bit OS and make sure you backup your original files before changing anything just in case something goes wrong, you wont have to re-download.
Also make sure you remove any launch option commands from the Properties before booting just to see if things are running as they should on default setup.

Toma said:
for 1$ its basically a gift.
clap.gif

You, yes you sir, are a true gentleman and a scholar!

Installing it right now!

Dunlop

after 2 days of Giantbomb GOTY podcasts, I am totally regretting not pulling the trigger on ME2 and to a lesser extent Darksiders. Hopefully the last day is all the sales from the previous 2 weeks

Volcynika

Dunlop said:
after 2 days of Giantbomb GOTY podcasts, I am totally regretting not pulling the trigger on ME2 and to a lesser extent Darksiders. Hopefully the last day is all the sales from the previous 2 weeks

You're hoping for quite a miracle. It'll probably only be the 'best of' this week's, considering Darksiders and the ME games have been on sale twice.

Dunlop

Volcynika said:
You're hoping for quite a miracle. It'll probably only be the 'best of' this week's, considering Darksiders and the ME games have been on sale twice.

I know, Darksiders was compeltely my fault, I had it in my cart both times and didn't go with it.

ME2 was not even on my radar, I just figured to pick it up on the 360 one day

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
squicken said:
How is Bully on PC? Did it ever get patched properly? Is the 360 controller support good?
It's great. Works great too. It did prompt me to download a patch iirc ( not too sure which game that actually was, since I bought so damn much. lol)

But yeah, works good with 360 controller.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Anybody has any actual data on Sim City 4 being fixed in the Steam version?

All the problems I listed come from the Disc Version. I'd like to know if the Steam version is fixed in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom