• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xapati

Almost bought M&B Warband, but then I remembered that when I bought M&B a year ago I then played it for 2 Weeks straight. Not gonna get sucked into that game again.

Manik

Pulled the trigger on Warband based on the recommendations in this thread - here's hoping it proves to be worth it! Is there a GAF-specific server for it, or are we just using the public servers?

Also, for King's Bounty, is there anywhere with a straightforward beginner's guide? Or are the game mechanics pretty comprehensively covered in the manual (from what I read it sounds like it's a bit of a tough cookie to get into)?

kodt

Banned
Dunlop said:
I know, Darksiders was compeltely my fault, I had it in my cart both times and didn't go with it.

ME2 was not even on my radar, I just figured to pick it up on the 360 one day

The game is so beautiful on PC.

squicken said:
How is Bully on PC? Did it ever get patched properly? Is the 360 controller support good?
The game originated on the PS2, so don't expect great graphics. But aside from some minor issues, it runs great and the 360 controller support is great. I recommend it. It is one of the best parts of the Rockstar bundle.

BigAT

I just wanted to thank archnemesis for his help in getting me the Euro discount on the Crysis pack. 17 gig download go!

Manik said:
Also, for King's Bounty, is there anywhere with a straightforward beginner's guide? Or are the game mechanics pretty comprehensively covered in the manual (from what I read it sounds like it's a bit of a tough cookie to get into)?

I didnt really have any trouble with the demo for Kings Bounty. I like it a lot and it is probably the most tempted I have been to buy a game in this sale without actually buying it.

For me the game played a lot like a unit based FF:Tactics. Only if you lose everyone in a unit it's not as devastating as losing a character that you have trained for half a game. You just need to save often and pick and choose your fights. The world doesn't really scale around you so some fights aren't meant for the beginning of the game.

BigAT said:
I just wanted to thank archnemesis for his help in getting me the Euro discount on the Crysis pack. 17 gig download go!

Dont bother downloading Crysis Wars. That should bring the DL size down to 11gigs or so.

Yaweee

I <3 Memes said:
For me the game played a lot like a unit based FF:Tactics. Only if you lose everyone in a unit it's not as devastating as losing a character that you have trained for half a game. You just need to save often and pick and choose your fights. The world doesn't really scale around you so some fights aren't meant for the beginning of the game.

Yeah. You can right-click on enemies on the world map to get a rough gauge of how tough the enemy is (Easy, Equel, Hard, Very Hard, Impossible, etc.) relative to your player level.

I don't see any reason that you'd need a guide for the game. As long as you check the enemies before you engage them and never select the +Leadership bonus at level-up (it is too insignificant in the long-run to be particularly worthwhile), there aren't really any beginner mistakes to make.

Normal difficulty is pretty reasonable in The Legend; you don't need to do anywhere near every sidequest to be strong enough to plow through the central quest line.

Armored Princess is far more open/non-linear with its main questline, and also tuned way harder, with Normal in AP being roughly Hard-level difficulty from TL.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
shagg_187 said:
Wait, are they officially aiming for a Steam Civ Pack or you telling me to get these games? :p

I am telling you to get these games :p At this price I consider them to be an awesome bundle if you buy them together. Your very own special "Steam Civ Pack" :D
And I very much would bet on not to see any sale again any time soon for CivCity. No one knows it, no one buys it for 1$, so no one working on Steam would care to discount it again I assume.

krzy123

Yaweee said:
Yeah. You can right-click on enemies on the world map to get a rough gauge of how tough the enemy is (Easy, Equel, Hard, Very Hard, Impossible, etc.) relative to your player level.

I don't see any reason that you'd need a guide for the game. As long as you check the enemies before you engage them and never select the +Leadership bonus at level-up (it is too insignificant in the long-run to be particularly worthwhile), there aren't really any beginner mistakes to make.

Normal difficulty is pretty reasonable in The Legend; you don't need to do anywhere near every sidequest to be strong enough to plow through the central quest line.

Armored Princess is far more open/non-linear with its main questline, and also tuned way harder, with Normal in AP being roughly Hard-level difficulty from TL.

One of the beginner mistakes i made when I first started was not garrisoning troops in castles. :lol I didn't even know you could do that, until halfway through the game. I thought later in the game it was essential to do so.

kodt said:
The game is so beautiful on PC.
My only complaint in ME2 is that I wish they had some higher res textures in certain areas. Other than that, I'm amazed at how well this looks at 1080 and how well it runs.

Toma said:
I am telling you to get these games :p At this price I consider them to be an awesome bundle if you buy them together. Your very own special "Steam Civ Pack" :D
And I very much would bet on not to see any sale again any time soon for CivCity. No one knows it, no one buys it for 1$, so no one working on Steam would care to discount it again I assume.
Goddamnit. I love you. :lol

How's Ghost Master, everyone? :p

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I've run into the problem of what I want to play. :lol

I quit M&B Warband a few weeks back since the NA servers were getting Dos attacked by some guy they banned. But it seems like everything is sorted out now

I've just started Crysis and want to play that quit a bit.

Went through the first 3 stages with King Aurthur and it seemed pretty fun.

And I've probably hit about 300 hours with League of Legends... and the addiction is still going strong.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
shagg_187 said:

Give me until tomorrow. I'll check it out and shove it down everyones throat with a similar post like my CivCity one if its any good :D

On that regard, anyone who likes SimCity/Civ/Caesar type games should check it out.
Impressions 1
Impressions 2

Wow, had rythm zome from one of the bundles, and it has to be the best guitar hero clone ever.

Pardon me, did I hear you can play ALL the songs you have in the PC and the game knows were to perfectly put all the notes to play?

YES!
UN-FUCKING-BELIVABLE!

With this game I will never touch guitar hero again. Lets see if you can put your guitar controller in the options menu.

Too bad :( Well, at least its an awesome music game.

shagg_187 said:

Its not really that good, somtimes its fun, but then its a little bit frutrating. Have some good terror movie jokes though.

Toma

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Its not really that good, somtimes its fun, but then its a little bit frutrating. Have some good terror movie jokes though.

Really? There seem to be some sparkling reviews for this game out there. How long did you play it?

atomsk

Party Pooper
mikespit1200 said:
Still hoping for a $5 Amnesia. I might just cave in and get it for $10 though. Enjoying Penumbra right now.

Yeah this is the last thing I'm still interested in getting. Will wait till last day of sale and buy if there is no daily deal

At last, the civcity install is done.
Thanks very much Toma! Lets try it! :D

Toma said:
Really? There seem to be some sparkling reviews for this game out there. How long did you play it?

9 hours, played till the boat episode. The dead fellas, I think it was called.

Its a strategic game, but some times the NPCs are too random and never do what they supposed to do.

Toma

SpacePirate Ridley said:
At last, the civcity install is done.
Thanks very much Toma! Lets try it! :D

9 hours, played till the boat episode. The dead fellas, I think it was called.

Its a strategic game, but some times the NPCs are too random and never do what they supposed to do.

Enjoy the game :)
Sometimes gamerankings/metacritics ranking can really miss the mark Oo I thought an opinion on a 85% game would sound more positive. Well, then i might reconsider my earlier comment and will watch some youtube vids first.

Oh and btw, there is some (most is) stuff in CivCity that isnt explained very well. If you have any questions regarding the game up until the 3rd city you get to govern, shoot me a message.

- PB Winterbottom ($0.49)
- MLB 2K10 ($1.99)
- Super Meat Boy ($3.75)
- The Polynomial ($2.50)
- Bully: Scholarship Edition ($3.75)
- Patrician IV ($7.50)
- FlatOut Ultimate Carnage ($2.00)
- X3: Terran Conflict ($6.80)
- AI War: Fleet Command ($3.00)
- SimCity 4 Deluxe ($4.99)
- Rush ($1.69)
$38.46

I spent $75 last year. So I *may* come out somewhat less poor than last year. Nice.

I'm sad to hear about SC4 not running well in Windows 7. Ugh.

BarrenMind said:
15 minutes left... staring at that $5 price tag for Dirt 2...
buy it at $9.99

SteelAttack said:
i read about they may have problems. 2 people from here said it ran fine. I can confirm that i am the third person that had no problem running this on my W7 64 bit system.

kai3345

Banned
Not really hoping for anything. But I'll still probably buy some games off of impulse.

Also, I get paid today so moar gamez for me!

Nabs

drizzle said:
Anybody has any actual data on Sim City 4 being fixed in the Steam version?

All the problems I listed come from the Disc Version. I'd like to know if the Steam version is fixed in any way.
no clue. i played only an hour and didn't have a single problem.

BarrenMind said:
15 minutes left... staring at that $5 price tag for Dirt 2...

why are you staring, hurry and buy it before it's too late.

confused

Banned
Far Cry 2 supercheap today please.

Concerning Simcity4 : I've had plenty of problems with the retail version and Win& 64Bit. Buying the Steam version erradicated almost all my problems. YMMV

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
kai3345 said:
Not really hoping for anything. But I'll still probably buy some games off of impulse.

Also, I get paid today so moar gamez for me!
This is the steam thread buddy
lame DD based joke

MNC

So GAF has gotten me hyped for Bloodlines. So give me Bloodlines.

AND PORTAL 2 PREORDER WITH DEMO.

I don't really need alot actually, I'm quite satisfied with my haul of games.

Caved, and bought ArmaII: Operation Arrowhead.

So now I have ArmaII, bought for 15€ during a previous sale, which I have played for half an hour only, which probably will be of no use to me from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom