• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
Proc said:
for sure: amnesia

maybe:
-PvZ (PvZ 2 seems like it inevitably will come out this year)
-dead space (I may hold off until dead space 2 comes out to see if its any cheaper or part of a pre-order bonus)
-kane and lynch 2 (seems cheap enough to try but might save the bandwidth)

It's Popcap, not Activision, so you're lucky if you get one sequel every 10 years, I think Bejeweled is the only game there's even a 3rd iteration of. Even if there was a PvZ sequel, the original is so perfect, chances are the sequel could only match it at best.

On record they did say the release date for the sequel would be sometime between 2011 and 2019, so we could be waiting another 8 years till it comes out.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Got The Ball. I was curious about it, but wasn't sure about dropping $20. Looks fun. I already have Amnesia over on Impulse when both it and the Penumbra pack were on sale for $10 each.

Just a word of advice for the Quake collection: It might not work as properly as you remembered it to be. I tried Quake III Arena and I saw fucking up glitched out menus and what not. Quake 1 won't even run and the only way to get Quake III Arena running is selecting Team Arena and running Arena from the in-game menu.

Oh and Kane and Lynch has a very fun single-player campaign. It's 4 hours long though. Online is a lot of fun if people still play it, but gets very linear after a while (who would've thought an online game would get linear, but it does. Still fun though if your team is unpredictable!).

1-D_FTW

Already bought Amnesia for 4.80. Think I'm sold on The Ball and Greed Corp based on the videos. Sitting on the fence with Sword & Soldiers and Dead Space. Isn't Dead Space a horrible port? Like locked at 30fps and needed to be played with a controller?

Just about through the hundred dollars I added for the Christmas sale. And that ignores Mafia 2 from amazon, the flight stick I just ordered, and Freespace 2 from G.O.G. Sheesh.

Ceebs

Flunkie said:
Greed Corp is a great game. Got it for hella cheap on Xbox, and I'll have to double dip here.
Mind giving some more detailed impressions? I am sure there are several people who are interested.

UrbanRats

I got everything i wished for, from these sales.
Except Mafia 2, which i got from Amazon.com anyway.

Now, to end this in greatness, i need: World in conflict, the two Secret Files, and i'm set.

Minsc

Gold Member
shagg_187 said:
Just a word of advice for the Quake collection: It might not work as properly as you remembered it to be. I tried Quake III Arena and I saw fucking up glitched out menus and what not. Quake 1 won't even run and the only way to get Quake III Arena running is selecting Team Arena and running Arena from the in-game menu.

Oh and Kane and Lynch has a very fun single-player campaign. It's 4 hours long though. Online is a lot of fun if people still play it, but gets very linear after a while (who would've thought an online game would get linear, but it does. Still fun though if your team is unpredictable!).

All the Quake games run perfectly (in single player anyway) with the proper mods/engines.

shagg_187 said:
There isn't really any point of playing Quake III with Quake Live being free. I guess Quake III is good for LANs when there is no internet available.

Salaadin

Is Dead Space a good re-buy for someone who played the PS3 version 3 times? Doesnt it have issues with AA on ATI cards and some mouse lagginess or something?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
What does the awesomeness of Cooking Momma have to do with this? :lol

Anyway, I at least hope Warband (at the same price) was involved in your loss of funds before you started begging for this.

Minsc

Gold Member
Salaadin said:
Is Dead Space a good re-buy for someone who played the PS3 version 3 times? Doesnt it have issues with AA on ATI cards and some mouse lagginess or something?

It looks best on ATI cards actually, with the new MLAA, otherwise getting AA is a bit tricky I think, unless you have luck with forcing it.

Mouse lagginess is significantly fixed with D3DOverrider (there's no mouse issues for me with it, but others are more sensitive).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
shagg_187 said:
Really? Quake 1 ain't working for me and crashes after the initial load.
Quake 1 works for me, but I am still hoping someone posts a mod like zdoom that make it look good, able to be put in 1080p, and that I can figure out how to active freelook on.

Drkirby said:
Quake 1 works for me, but I am still hoping someone posts a mod like zdoom that make it look good, able to be put in 1080p, and that I can figure out how to active freelook on.

Yeah sorry. I meant Quake II.

Also, Quake III fucks up when the steam tab toolbar shows up to notify you that you can use steam while playing Quake. Changing to Team Arena and back to Arena fixes the issue.

Minsc

Gold Member
shagg_187 said:
Yeah sorry. I meant Quake II.

Yea, Quake II definitely has a custom engine you want to use to play it properly. And you should download the soundtrack too, shame it didn't get included in the game.

Now I'm really curious what I ended up settling on for running Q1, if I got something for 1080p + mouselook or not, I hope I did.

kinggroin

Banned
Dice said:
What does the awesomeness of Cooking Momma have to do with this? :lol

Anyway, I at least hope Warband (at the same price) was involved in your loss of funds before you started begging for this.
:D

Cooking Momma didn't exactly light up the metacritic charts ya know

John

The Ball is like this year's portal without the great writing/context, everyone should get it

are the band of brothers games worth getting? which one's the best?

benjipwns

Banned
Re: Greed Corp
Ceebs said:
Mind giving some more detailed impressions? I am sure there are several people who are interested.
Basically it's turn-based strategy, and your goal is to take tiles and eliminate your opponent.

You have your standard troops, and you can build bases to build new troops and cannons. But you can also build harvesters that give you more resources, but when they do, they slowly destroy parts of the map and anything you or the enemy has on those parts when they are eventually destroyed is lost.

The layouts of the maps can sometimes make it more of a puzzle game as you try to best utilize sections of the map for resources but also the best way to take out your opponent in the fewest moves. You may want to just take their territory with the troops by building tons of them, or wait for them to harvest down to the lowest level and fire on them with the cannon which causes a chain reaction and destroys all the weak tiles wiping out lots of their forces in one shot. And so on.

Has a campaign, also offline/online skirmish. Plus achievements and leaderboards if you're into those things.

Runs flawlessly for me at 1080p. It even runs on my crappy laptop which has integrated Intel graphics, not well of course, but playable even if the turns take a while to process and the framerate isn't the best. (It's turn based, so still playable.)
gregor7777 said:
Is it anything like tower defense?
Not really, but Defense Grid was once my GOTY and I like Greed Corp a lot, so take that for what you will.

Ceebs

Sir Garbageman said:
Someone pitch Swords and Soldiers to me. I mean it's only $2.50, whats another game on the 20 game deep back log?
It's a side scrolling RTS. Complete with resource management, base upgrading, and special abilities. Only played the first few levels though, but it seems kinda neat.

Mrbob

Sword and Soldiers get! Loved the demo on PSN. For $2.49 can't pass up on it.

CaptainAhab said:
How's the Ball? I'm almost willing to buy it just to support Tripwire.

I'm only a couple stages in but I really like it. It is an action puzzle game with some horror elements!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
kinggroin said:
:D

Cooking Momma didn't exactly light up the metacritic charts ya know

One is 70ish and the other one at 55 average.

Ehhh. Not that good a comparison. And you asked for a 10 bucks free game, so I doubt you'll find someone willing to gift you 10$ of garbage.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
In for Dead Space and Amnesia.

The_Technomancer said:
Already owned Amnesia, definitely biting on S&S and Greed Corp, considering the Hearts of Iron.

Also, everyone should buy Swords and Soldiers

I KEEP ASKING FOR feedback and nobody is giving any. It looks just like Castle Crashers, what is it?

Salaadin

Minsc said:
It looks best on ATI cards actually, with the new MLAA, otherwise getting AA is a bit tricky I think, unless you have luck with forcing it.

Mouse lagginess is significantly fixed with D3DOverrider (there's no mouse issues for me with it, but others are more sensitive).

For future reference, when I ask a question like that, lie to me so I dont spend more money.
Dead Space bought :D

ismaboof said:
Just played the Amnesia demo. Can't do it. I'm a pussy.
:lol

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Repost because of still no answer:

Hearts of Iron II Complete for 7 or Hearts of Iron III Complete for 14?
Impressions from people who played both?
Which one would be easier to get into?

There must be SOMEONE on gaf who played them. I couldnt find any comparison online.

Weenerz

Banned
demosthenes said:
I KEEP ASKING FOR feedback and nobody is giving any. It looks just like Castle Crashers, what is it?

Use google, or youtube. Do some research. No need getting upset because someone won't do the leg work for you

ismaboof

demosthenes said:
It's kind of like that flash game Trenches. You buy units and they run left to right until they die

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom