• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
I've pretty much gotten everything I want to thankfully this is last day of new sales. Kinda thinking about grabbing Oblivion if it shows up again tomorrow for a recap. Still waffling.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Well I've spent about fifty dollars so far and gotten at least two games that I'm in love with, and bunch of other stuff I'll probably enjoy, so I'd say the sale has been a success for me. We'll see whats on these last two days.

confused

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Well I've spent about fifty dollars so far and gotten at least two games that I'm in love with, and bunch of other stuff I'll probably enjoy, so I'd say the sale has been a success for me. We'll see whats on these last two days.

I wish I had managed to keep it so cheap. I spent around 200 euros upto now, and there's still 25 in my steam wallet. But I got every single game I wanted that was on sale and the games bought will tide me over till the summer sale (AS IF:D )

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So, who's buying Bloodlines today after the final sales get posted? Or would that be giving in?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
mattiewheels said:
So, who's buying Bloodlines today after the final sales get posted? Or would that be giving in?
One more days of sales. But yes, if after the final sale day there's no Bloodlines then I'll bite damnit.

SappYoda

Maybe if everyone adds Bloodlines (even if they don't want/care about the game) to their wishlist someday they will make a deal.

Polk

mattiewheels said:
Aren't tomorrows the last?
Plus there's no reason to buy the game today if it's not on sale. They won't increase the price after sale.

G_Berry

Banned
Anyone else getting this when trying to load the store?

Failed to load web page (unknown error).-118

Failed to load web page (unknown error).

Yeah, getting that in the UK too.

---

Can't wait for Tuesday. All my PC upgrades are arriving, including a new HDD that I'm simply going to label as 'Steam'. Time to play these games.

G_Berry said:
Anyone else getting this when trying to load the store?

Failed to load web page (unknown error).-118

Failed to load web page (unknown error).
Hmm, store being borked so people can't get on and start downloads (of newly purchased games?) would explain why my download is going at 700-800kb/s on the London server...which is the fastest I've ever seen this line go at (I wonder if the numbers are for decompressed data so the actual speed is less).

That said, I hope it repairs itself in the next 2 hours I've still got yesterdays deals to buy, though to be honest the only thing I'm going to buy is the Air Traffic game and I won't be devastated if I miss it (I'd like the star wars games too but I've got to be realistic about it, I probably won't play them, once I've added the indie packs I'm planning on getting into the equation my steam collection is nearing 50 games which means I'll need to complete 1 a week to clear the backlog).

Yeef

MotorbreathX said:
If there's nothing I want on today's sale I'll probably just grab Mass Effect 1/2 from Gamersgate for under $20.
Pretty sure tomorrow is going to be another recap day, so you may want to hold off.

At this point I own all but two of the games on my wishlist that have already been released. One (Alternitiva) has been on 33% off through the entire sale. if it doesn't get discounted any deeper before the sale ends I'll probably pick it up on Sunday. The other (Dreamfall) will probably never go on sale and I haven't completed the prequel yet, so there's really no rush on that one.

What I'd really like is some kind of device that froze time long enough for me to play all of these games.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I haven't been able get on, and I only have an hour and a half left! I need to see what they have before it changes up! NOOOO!

filipe

The_Technomancer said:

Hey, me too. I'm at $41 (and that's with a $10 account purchase for HoN), but I was following a guideline set for myself. The budget was $50 as my preferred spending, $100 if they sale was absolutely amazing lol. I have $9 bucks for any recaps they might do, hoping to see JC2 again.

Super Meat Boy and Red Faction: Guerrilla have been my favourite games thus far, but I've enjoyed Greed Corp too.

The rest of the list:

ARMA 2 - Different, still need to put more time into it.
Battlefield 2 - I know what to expect, but haven't launched it yet lol.
Monkey Island - So far enjoying it, but again haven't put much time into it. At lest I can finally see what all the hype is about.
Overlord Pack - Meh.

Blizzard

Banned
mattiewheels said:
Bloodlines, Dreamfall, and the Longest Journey have been released for like 79 years already with no sales. I can wait 1 more year. :lol

Yeef

Blizzard said:
Bloodlines, Dreamfall, and the Longest Journey have been released for like 79 years already with no sales. I can wait 1 more year. :lol
The Longest Journey is absolutely worth $10. Hurry up and buy it!

I own Bloodlines (had it gifted it to me last week), but haven't played it yet. Nor have I played Dreamfall, but from what I've it's not as good as The Longest Journey.

Blizzard

Banned
MomoPufflet said:
Fucking Farcry 2 having SecuROM gdi :/
See these links:
http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ubisoft.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=12403#fc9
http://farcry.uk.ubi.com/unlock/

Supposedly it gives you installs back when you uninstall it, and you can download the manual revoke tool in the worst case if you somehow lose all 5. Assuming it doesn't have the old stability/DVD/virtual disk side effects, and the tools work, this seems almost reasonable for Ubisoft compared to stuff like their internet-required DRM.

Minsc

Gold Member
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So is today the last day of sales or is that tomorrow?

Tomorrow should be a recap day, like last sunday, so whatever you want buy it then if it's not on sale today or tomorrow!

MomoPufflet said:
Fucking Farcry 2 having SecuROM gdi :/
It hasn't for over a year I'm told. Vavle just can't be arsed to update the description:
http://steamdrm.flibitijibibo.com/the-big-drm-list/ said:
Far Cry 2: Fortune’s Edition; SecuROM removed in 1.03 update, despite store page’s notes.

Edit: UK store back up an running, I know because my download speed has fallen to 300kb/s :lol

Now suddenly I´m beginning to wonder if I should purchase the Napoleon/Empire Total War pack. I got tired of Empire, but not because of the AI but because of the slow loading times and every turn taking forever because of the game going through each faction so slowly. Is Napoleon any better?

Yeef said:
Pretty sure tomorrow is going to be another recap day, so you may want to hold off.

At this point I own all but two of the games on my wishlist that have already been released. One (Alternitiva) has been on 33% off through the entire sale. if it doesn't get discounted any deeper before the sale ends I'll probably pick it up on Sunday. The other (Dreamfall) will probably never go on sale and I haven't completed the prequel yet, so there's really no rush on that one.

What I'd really like is some kind of device that froze time long enough for me to play all of these games.

True, but there's nothing in the last week that was amazing for me. The Mass Effect games were last week on Steam and are also cheaper on Gamersgate.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Yeah, I figured the 2nd will have no new sales, just greatest hits of the week. So today's my last shot at stuff like The Last Remnant (who am I kidding).

ZZMitch

Bought Far Cry and Far Cry 2! :D

I already have Red Alert 3 retail, is it worth it to grab the steam version? Does it still need that gamespy connect shit for online?

Suairyu

Banned
Haha, Dark Forces is awesome. Yeah, it's basically an above-average Doom clone but the sound effects, Storm Trooper voices and the iMuse soundtrack (with mt-32 emulation setup) really add to the atmosphere. I whole-heartedly recommend it. As a suggestion: play the game on easy. Old-school FPSs like this just get obtuse at higher difficulty levels, unless they're as well designed as Doom, which this isn't. On easy, you can just kick back and enjoy being a badass hero of your own Star Wars film.

Morning, guys. I'm hungover, but ready for the last day. :lol

This has been easily my best sale ever. I've only spent roughly 33 bucks, and I've gotten

• Children of the Nile pack
  • Defense Grid
  • King's Bounty Platinum
  • Machinarium
  • Monkey Island 1 and 2 SE
  • Sim City 4 Deluxe
  • Jedi Knight Pack
  • Super Meat Boy

I also got gifted

• Hitman Collection
  • CivCity: Rome

This year I learned about the advantages of putting money towards your Steam wallet.

Danj

SteelAttack said:
This year I learned about the advantages of putting money towards your Steam wallet.

Hey that's a good idea, I should put a few pounds in there each month so I have money for next year's sale.

confused

Banned
SteelAttack said:
Morning, guys. I'm hungover, but ready for the last day. :lol

This has been easily my best sale ever. I've only spent roughly 33 bucks, and I've gotten

• Children of the Nile pack
  • Defense Grid
  • King's Bounty Platinum
  • Machinarium
  • Monkey Island 1 and 2 SE
  • Sim City 4 Deluxe
  • Jedi Knight Pack
  • Super Meat Boy

I also got gifted

• Hitman Collection
  • CivCity: Rome

Best new feature on Steam this year.

Mrbob

What is the consensus on C & C 4? I'm thinking about getting it at 5 bucks. Picked up Red Alert 3 and the expansion for the 10 bucks total because I love that game and I want ease of download in the future. I'm more of a fan of the insane Red Alert campaigns than the regular C & C games.

mm04

C'mon NBA 2K11! That's the last thing I'm waiting for. I've spent around $90 for 9 games, so not bad at all. It seems like a lot, but then I think if I had just bought 2 of these games at release for my 360 or PS3, I'd be over $30 over this amount. At least that's my rationaliztion. :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If there isn't a TR collection, I still highly recommend picking up Anniversary at the very least. It's a steal at 5$ and the best of the batch on Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom