• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSN2K

Do people still play SW BattleFront II or is the game scene dead ? only played the first...wasnt particularly great but idea behind it was.

Instro

VoteForPedro said:
Anyone has tried Stranger's wrath yet?

I'm having massive graphic issues with it, what a shitty ass port. Such a disappointment...

Someone mentioned earlier that the PC version of Strangers Wrath will be receiving a massive free update that adds all the enhanced content of the upcoming PS3 version. So you might as well wait for that.

Yeef

Picked up Mass Effect 2 and Eets. I wouldn't be surprised if Mass Effect 2 dropped lower than $15 (what it's at now), but that's already below the threshold I had for picking it up.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Compared the EU prices with the US prices. Really, for Euro customers, the only sensible thing to do is to participate in a gift circle of some sort. I know we have a thread for that somewhere.

Probably not gonna buy a single title anyhow, got nothing on the seeker right now. Well, BFBC2 because of Vietnam, but just sort of; after seeing it in action a couple of times, I'm not that hot for it anymore.

Luthos

Picked up Super Meat Boy and Bad Company 2. $10 ain't too bad for the first day. Here's hoping the Crysis collection gets super cheap one of these days.

Also considering picking up a 360 controller for the PC. Not just for SMB, but still. Anybody else have one think it's a good investment?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
AgentOtaku said:
Nah, I've played Far Cry 2 on a console =(
....Far Cry 2 is far below the console standard. That's why I said standard.

Luthos said:
Also considering picking up a 360 controller for the PC. Not just for SMB, but still. Anybody else have one think it's a good investment?
It is a fucking awesome investment. I'd say 30-40% of my game time on PC is using my 360 pad. I play a lot of platformers/arcade racers/third-person shooters though.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Luthos said:
Well, I don't have one, but since it works with so many games on PC, it should be a good investment, yes.

Nabs

Luthos said:
Picked up Super Meat Boy and Bad Company 2. $10 ain't too bad for the first day. Here's hoping the Crysis collection gets super cheap one of these days.

it would be a great idea. just make sure it's wired.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You could also pick up a wireless receiver, but every now and then some compatibility problem comes up with that, and I think they are more expensive now then a Wired Controller (I got mine free though, so I am sticking with it)

gillty

Banned
I am in love with this game and the best part is that it is a part of the $5 Indie Mix Pack. :D
5b2tue.png

Bought the Indie Beat Pack for $4.99. Terrible, awful decision. Chime is bugged and simply will not launch (tried the suggestions on the Steam forum, nothing has worked so far), bit.trip gives me a "failed to create fallback shader" error that keeps the game from launching, and Rhythm Zone is just down right an awful game. I'm thankfully enjoying Beat Hazard and haven't touched Turba yet, but fuck... 40% of the games in the pack don't work for me.

Note to self: research games on Steam before purchasing them. Bugs suck.

Blizzard

Banned
Soka said:
Bought the Indie Beat Pack for $4.99. Terrible, awful decision. Chime is bugged and simply will not launch (tried the suggestions on the Steam forum, nothing has worked so far), bit.trip gives me a "failed to create fallback shader" error that keeps the game from launching, and Rhythm Zone is just down right an awful game. I'm thankfully enjoying Beat Hazard and haven't touched Turba yet, but fuck... 40% of the games in the pack don't work for me.

Note to self: research games on Steam before purchasing them. Bugs suck.
Are you playing on a netbook with an integrated graphics card? Sounds like some graphics problems. Updating drivers -might- help but I dunno what to say otherwise. :/

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Luthos said:
Not only do I use it for many PC games but it is pretty much the default controller for games. No messing with keyboard to pad configurations.

Luthos

Add Geometry Wars to my list. I remember playing the demo on the 360, and it was awesome. Can't say not to it on PC for $2.

Blizzard said:
Are you playing on a netbook with an integrated graphics card? Sounds like some graphics problems. Updating drivers -might- help but I dunno what to say otherwise. :/

Playing on a netbook actually, yeah. ASUS 1215n. It has an Nvidia Ion, but uses Nvidia's Optimus technology that flips between integrated graphics and the Ion depending on the need of the programs that are running. I already fiddled with the Nvidia control panel and forced the Ion to be on when Steam is running, but that didn't help. Drivers are up-to-date.

Just the 2 new Oddworld games and PoP 2008. I'm going to make it my goal to resist a few titles every day, so I only buy games I really want to see in my library unplayed for months on end.

Resisted today: FEAR 2 and PoP: Forgotten Something. Tempting but I still have the first entries unplayed.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, even though I don't even have a 360 anymore, I'll be buying a wired controller for my PC. It seems like it'll save me from a lot of bullshit since trying to accomplish the same thing with my ps3 dualshock would be a pain.

Anyways, I'm really hoping the next few days have shitty deals, I can't get sucked in.

no dead rising, no crysis, no witcher, no fallout new vegas please

Sounds like there are a lot of tech issues with Stranger's Wrath

I'll just wait for the PSN remake.

from some dickhead on the Steam forums:

- No "video" options to manually adjust certain graphical effects
- No ability to set resolution from within the menus (must add code to a .txt config file)
- No mouse support on menus (must use arrow keys)
- No keyboard support when typing the player name (must use arrow keys to navigate to each individual letter)
- Incredibly poor performance (15-20 FPS on high/medium-end machines)
- Ugly, jagged text in dialogue boxes that looks as if it came from a 3D game released in the 90's

Teknoman

Snuggler said:
Sounds like there are a lot of tech issues with Stranger's Wrath

I'll just wait for the PSN remake.

from some dickhead on the Steam forums:

Unless the PSN remake is going to be that much cheaper, i'd just grab it and wait for the PC to be patched with the PSN content.

EDIT: Hopefully those options are patched in too. I was going to play through the series in release order, but Stranger's Wrath shouldnt take that long to get fixed.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, that's day 1 out of the way from me, and only £22 so far spent.

The damage:
FEAR + DLC (I own FEAR retail but not the expansion packs and £1.74 was too tempting).
Super Meat Boy (£3!!)
Crash Time III (Doesn't look bad, for a fiver it's worth a risk if you like street racing stuff)
Winterbottom (It's 40pence)
Toki Tori (Why didn't I buy this yet?)
Shadowgrounds (£2, heh)
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (I owned the other Oddworld games on Steam already, so saved 50pence by not buying the Oddboxx. Waiting for patches and the PS3 enhancements before putting time into Strangers Wrath though).

Teknoman

Probably posted already, but from the official Oddworld site:

Remember: we love you guys and we hate to hear that you’re not having the time of your life with our games, because of technical issues we didn’t encounter in testing.

We’ve heard there are some technical issues being encountered, specifically within Munch’s Oddysee and Stranger’s Wrath. We had these games extensively tested and they both came back clean, so this has come as quite the shock to us.

We ARE working on solving these problems THIS VERY SECOND, and hope to have a patch out to nail all these problems in record time. In the meantime, please make sure if you’re experiencing difficulties, to drop your spec details below in the comments. Rest assured we are looking to fix everything we possibly can.

Im sure everything will be fine in awhile. Wouldnt make sense to release a port of niche games and then not support them at all/not rush out patches to make sure fans are happy.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I hate to be that guy, but who here hasn't bought VVVVVV? It's 2.50, you're straight up thieving that shit at that price.

I'm just spreading the good word. Unless you hate things that are good, it's worth the price of a loaf of bread.

Smash88

Banned
Blizzard said:
Darnit, Gabe never responds to MY emails. :lol

Yeah well when you own 90% of all the Steam games available I'm sure he will respond to you as well... :lol

You should tell him everyone on GAF loves him so much and to never stop being so awesome. Only he can make me double-dip on BFBC2 even though I have the cd-case right next to me and payed full price when it first came out. :lol

Also word to the wise everyone DO NOT BUY ANYTHING THAT IS NOT A DAILY DEAL!

There might be a chance that game will go on sale, and you payed more for it for no reason, do all your game shopping after the final daily deal is put up on Jan 2/3rd.

Forkball

Played Super Meat Boy for about an hour. I'm in World 2-2. I must have spent about twenty minutes on the first boss. The boss is hard, but not cheap. It's nothing like I Wanna Be the Guy. Every time you die, you know why. You'll still curse, but mostly at yourself and not at the game. It's a blast so far, but I know I will never beat it. And the achievements are insane.

aeolist

Banned
Teknoman said:
Probably posted already, but from the official Oddworld site:

Remember: we love you guys and we hate to hear that you’re not having the time of your life with our games, because of technical issues we didn’t encounter in testing.

We’ve heard there are some technical issues being encountered, specifically within Munch’s Oddysee and Stranger’s Wrath. We had these games extensively tested and they both came back clean, so this has come as quite the shock to us.

We ARE working on solving these problems THIS VERY SECOND, and hope to have a patch out to nail all these problems in record time. In the meantime, please make sure if you’re experiencing difficulties, to drop your spec details below in the comments. Rest assured we are looking to fix everything we possibly can.

Im sure everything will be fine in awhile. Wouldnt make sense to release a port of niche games and then not support them at all/not rush out patches to make sure fans are happy.
That honestly sounds like a troll post to me. It's way too over the top sarcastic and there's no goddamn way they missed all these bugs. Even if you take out the crashing bugs there's still the horrible performance on practically every machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom