• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceebs

BarrenMind said:
It's interesting to me how much hype and respect is paid to Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines around here.

I've never played it, but I really enjoyed Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption which is sadly not on Steam. Thinking about downloading it from GOG though and praying it runs.

Around the time Bloodlines came out I remember hearing some disappointment about the move to a first-person perspective. I guess the game turned out alright though?

Understatement of the year. One of my top 5 all time.

Minsc

Gold Member
BarrenMind said:
It's interesting to me how much hype and respect is paid to Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines around here.

I've never played it, but I really enjoyed Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption which is sadly not on Steam. Thinking about downloading it from GOG though and praying it runs.

Around the time Bloodlines came out I remember hearing some disappointment about the move to a first-person perspective. I guess the game turned out alright though?

Amazing. Worth $50 easily, think of it permanently on sale at $20 on Steam. Superb, superb game, with a good amount of re-playability built in to the different clans you can pick from.

Redemption is forever to be a shadow of Bloodlines due to how successful Bloodlines is.

Edit: Redemption still runs perfectly, I've tried the GOG one with no issues.

Dryst

Neo Member
Did anyone else notice Civ IV complete for $7 yesterday when the sale started and now it's not available at all? You think they took it off so that it could be apart of a daily deal?

LukeT

Neo Member
drizzle said:
WAT! Don't buy company of heroes now. One year ago, yes, but not now.

There's Company of Heroes Online, a Free2Play version of the game that's balanced, has all the single player missions, is much easier to find games online and not everybody is playing River Maps 24/7.

Also, it has Hero Units and other shit you can easily buy with ingame money, not having to spend a dime to play.

It's a much better experience, in my opinion. And i've been playing CoH for 4 years, since it came out.

Sorry I meant the 3 games not just the first. Im not really bothered in online play just the campaigns. Still not worth it?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If my targeted sales never happen. Civ IV is one that I am considering. That is odd, since I have had the game for 2 years and never installed it (which makes me feel bad because it was a bday present)

I wonder how much of that is lack of desire for that type of game, and how much is from hating the use of discs.

Sanjay

Stallion Free said:
Infinity Ward was god-tier when it came to scripting a singleplayer shooter well. Say what you will about that school of design, but they were the fucking valedictorians.

Dice was the stoners in the back of the class doing their best to make fun, but failing hard.

DICE was busy making fun superior multi-player games right.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
LukeT said:
Sorry I meant the 3 games not just the first. Im not really bothered in online play just the campaigns. Still not worth it?
I guess it is, depending on the price. The pull of the game is the online portion of it, even tho it was ruined by shitty maps and bad matchmaking.

I personally never played them. My friends (who are really into RTS) say they are awesome.

benjipwns

Banned
Just to note: BTS + Colonization, the two newest which you can have without the others, is a penny more than the Complete Pack. So just buy the Complete Pack in case you want to play base Civ IV. (Or a mod that might require something specific?)

Even if they all do double up in your Steam list.

DangerStepp

LCfiner said:
T-minus 60 minutes.
ZyqFk.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

I'm soooo excited! This truly is the most wonderful time of the year!!!!! :D

Can I get a pat on the back for that slick avatar quote?

LQX

confused said:
Looking for a US GAFfer to gift me POP Forgotten sands through Steam. I'll repay you with a Steam game worth 7.50
I can gift it, depending on the game you are gift back.

stuminus3

BarrenMind said:
The GOG version of Redemption runs fine on everything, I have it installed on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine and it runs great.

krzy123

I could see smb easily coming back on the last day, its currently #2 on the sales chart w/ #1 and #3 being EA titles. The publisher probably has final say if the game goes on sale again.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
krzy123 said:
I could see smb easily coming back on the last day, its currently #2 on the sales chart w/ #1 and #3 being EA titles. The publisher probably has final say if the game goes on sale again.
I always thought Valve had the final say on everything. I remember the Shatter dev on GAF said they knew Shatter would go on sale during the treasure hunt because they agreed to let it go on sale but Valve had the say on price and whatnot, IIRC.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
drizzle said:
Yeah, CoH Online only features both the main armies of the game, Americans and Axis.

Thus, it only has those single player missions. IF you really want to play them, yes, you'd have to buy the pack. However, Both Panzer Elite and Brits are madly overpowered and make the game unbelievable unbalanced for online gameplay. The Free Online variation is much more balanced.

But yeah, if you're going after the single player only, sure. :D
gonna have to go all gamereplays on you here: brits are a natural unbalancer, overpowering their american team-mates while playing like a flailing upside down tortoise if left to their own devices. panzer elite have been nerfed into dust, with no reason for a competant player to pick them over the almighty wehrmacht.

Ydahs said:
OMG Super Meat Boy for sale! OMG I CAN'T FIND MY CC ;_;

Dare I charge it on my brother's credit card... no can't do that >_>

What are the chances of there being another sale this game on another day :(
Er...what kind of relationship do you have with him...?

Just pick up the phone and tell him...

even if it is more that 100$ it is fine, just give him the money later??

:S

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
enzo_gt said:
I always thought Valve had the final say on everything. I remember the Shatter dev on GAF said they knew Shatter would go on sale during the treasure hunt because they agreed to let it go on sale but Valve had the say on price and whatnot, IIRC.
They're on GAF? I wonder if they saw me/others bitching about that bonus mode. :lol

I did eventually get the achievement, but the mode still sucks. Game overall rocks, though.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
enzo_gt said:
He said Valve decided the Treasure Hunt objective. I don't think he ever said Valve had final say on price.

Artofwar420

Just bought these in the nick of time, thought I'm starting to think Stranger's Wrath might be one of those that comes down in price the last day.

Super Meat Boy 3.75 USD
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath 7.49 USD
FEAR 2: Project Origin (NA) 4.99 USD
F.E.A.R.: Ultimate Shooter Edition 2.49 USD
VVVVVV 2.49 USD
Blueberry Garden 0.99 USD

Can't wait to see today's deals!

Thanks for the input everyone. I probably will grab Redemption again soon for nostalgia, and will definitely keep an eye out for a Bloodlines daily deal.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
ghst said:
gonna have to go all gamereplays on you here: brits are a natural unbalancer, overpowering their american team-mates while playing like a flailing upside down tortoise if left to their own devices. panzer elite have been nerfed into dust, with no reason for a competant player to pick them over the almighty wehrmacht.
I completly agree... oh wait, what's that? Two Elite Panther Panzer just came out of the Panzer Elite base, and unless I have 5 anti-tank guns on standby at all times getting support from infantary units, which are all pretty much dead anyway because I spend 1k manpower building these damn anti-tank guns and couldn't re-inforce my advanced holding point, which was being bombarded by constant ostwinds, panthers and a Tiger which I just managed to kill and lose 4 anti-tank guns in the proccess, I'm screwed?

Oh, ok.

If any of the new armies is into play, and your side of the match doesn't have one of the new armies, you might as well GG in the first 10 seconds of the match.

Also, screw 1x1.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
guh, I'm so excited for the new batch of deals. All I bought yesterday was Prince of Persia 2008 for myself (hopefully it's good) and FEAR 2 + the DLC for a friend.

But none of that cut down that wishlist of mine.

aeolist

Banned
Artofwar420 said:
Just bought these in the nick of time:

Super Meat Boy 3.75 USD
VVVVVV 2.49 USD

I'm so sorry

dream

You know, it just dawned on me that it might be time for me to finally play Borderlands.

Let's go Borderlands!

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Artofwar420 said:
Just bought these in the nick of time, thought I'm starting to think Stranger's Wrath might be one of those that comes down in price the last day.

Super Meat Boy 3.75 USD
VVVVVV 2.49 USD

Blueberry Garden is awesome. Really short, but its a great experience and is very replayable at least three or four times through.

Deadman

For a while now ive just been sat here trying to kill time until the next sale starts. I believe im all thats wrong with this world.

yonder

Man, for some reason steam is declining every credit card I throw at it. Luckily a friend gifted me super meat boy, but I better get this sorted soon :/

krzy123

enzo_gt said:

I was under the impression Valve made suggestions to publishers about sales/prices, but the final say was still the pubs. Now smb and shatter are indie games/self published, so I don't know if rules for them are any different.

Nabs

Yonn said:
Man, for some reason steam is declining every credit card I throw at it. Luckily a friend gifted me super meat boy, but I better get this sorted soon :/
you could select paypal and just use a cc through there

Artofwar420 said:
See my edited post, I just realized that. It better not come down in price or I'm gonna buy it again.
They were saying sorry because the port isn't looking very good. Which is to say it's currently totally busted and jank. The Dev's say they're working on a patch though, but don't expect to play this one anytime soon without encountering some terrible frame rate and bad quality.

Sanjay

Yonn said:

My friend is getting this too, so we tried plan B and tried to add to steam wallet and it worked but he still cant gift the game, weird as fuck.

Nabs said:
you could select paypal and just use a cc through there

FUUUUUU nabs HELP, gift me.

Nabs

Sanjay said:
My friend is getting this too, so we tried plan B and tried to add to steam wallet and it worked but he still cant gift the game, weird as fuck.

FUUUUUU nabs HELP, gift me.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Killthee said:
He said Valve decided the Treasure Hunt objective. I don't think he ever said Valve had final say on price.
I stand corrected. And yes Dice, he was quite saddened by the anger towards the game because of the treasure hunt achievement. Nice going.

thundr51

Can't wait. Hopefully I'll see ESIV:Oblivion. It's in the Bethesda pack (14.99) but i'm hoping to see if it'll be offered in a daily deal for cheaper. Anybody know if they this will go lower?

LCfiner

thundr51 said:
Can't wait. Hopefully I'll see ESIV:Oblivion. It's in the Bethesda pack (14.99) but i'm hoping to see if it'll be offered in a daily deal for cheaper. Anybody know if they this will go lower?

I got the Oblivion GOTY edition in the summer sale for, I believe, 7 bucks.

so there's precedence.

Yaweee

thundr51 said:

"Know"? No, but games that are in general package sales have later gone on individual sales.

DangerStepp

dream said:
You know, it just dawned on me that it might be time for me to finally play Borderlands.

Let's go Borderlands!
Actually, I hate Borderlands and I have a physical copy. I'll trade my copy if you wanna gift me something/ship whatever it's worth to you. It might drop cheaper STEAM and it's also more convenient. Just thought I'd mention it, though. PM me if you're interested. Merry Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom