• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
OneEightZero said:
Drop RE5 and Bioshock.

Agreed

Also just Witcher for me. Regretted passing on it last year. Already own LC on ps3, and dont feel the need to double dip

Stay away Amir0x, I've made my decision. :lol

Glix

I can run The Witcher at Medium settings @ 720 widescreen

Will I be okay with Burnout and Resident Evil? Does my DFGT work with windows. Is it even worth it with Burnout, or is that one of the racing games that is better with a controller?

causan

Day 1:
Super Meat Boy, The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom
Day 2:
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, Lara Croft and the Guardian Light
Total : $14.34

Actually keeping to my budget this year :D

kamspy

Glix said:
I can run The Witcher at Medium settings @ 720 widescreen

Will I be okay with Burnout and Resident Evil? Does my DFGT work with windows. Is it even worth it with Burnout, or is that one of the racing games that is better with a controller?

Burnout yes. RE5 probably. Both games runs balls out on my 275 GTX, so it doesn't take much.

Click

Banned
I am shocked at how large the file for Witcher was (14.56 GB).
At least it's downloading fast for me...

Witcher_DL_Rate_02.png

Corto said:
The WWII setting is the same but the similitudes end there. First let me say that both are great, excellent games. CoH is more streamlined (not dumbed down :lol ) there's not so much micromanagement as in MoW, the attention to detail in MoW can be almost overwhelming each individual unit has an inventory, and you can have direct control of each individual unit turning the game into a shooter with only a keystroke! Buy it and spend some time with it to learn it and you will be rewarded.

Thank you everyone for the feedback on MoW. It has a demo available, so I really should have gave that a go (which I'll do now)! Tried the MoW Online Beta too (which feels a lot like CoH Online).

--

Are the Gothic games really as poor as the metacritic reviews suggest?

Flambe

If you have a girl to play RE5 with, sure it's great. I wouldn't have played it single player though.

Also I wasn't even thinking about Lara.. but you fuckers.. and $5 goddamn Steam.
Good thing I own most of the rest :lol

Fox318

Click said:

Witcher_DL_Rate_02.png
Most of it is extra stuff. Make sure you look at the maps, soundtracks, and Videos.

Krakn3Dfx

Feel a little better after seeing a friend's shopping spree from earlier today:

"now owns Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, LCGOL ChallengePack2, The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, The Witcher: Director's Cut DLC, Crayon Physics Deluxe, Toki Tori, Secret of the Magic Crystal, Max and the Magic Marker, Delve Deeper, Men of War: Red Tide, GM Rally, A Farewell to Dragons, King's Bounty: Armored Princess, UFO: Afterlight, Men of War, Death Track: Resurrection, Cryostasis, NecroVisioN, Death to Spies, King's Bounty: The Legend, Death to Spies: Moment of Truth, XIII Century, A.I.M. Racing, 4x4 Hummer, Classic Car Racing, Streets of Moscow, NecrovisioN: Lost Company, Star Wolves 3: Civil War, Star Wolves, Star Wolves 2, Theatre of War, Space Rangers, Space Rangers 2: Reboot, Theatre of War 2: Africa 1943, Theatre of War 2: Centauro, Theatre of War 2: Kursk 1943 , Battle for Caen DLC, Rig 'n' Roll, Reign: Conflict of Nations, Theatre of War: Editor, Fantasy Wars, King's Bounty: Crossworlds, King's Bounty: Crossworlds Editor, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - Standard CD Key, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - Deluxe CD Key, Prince of Persia, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, F.E.A.R. 2: Reborn, F.E.A.R., F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point, F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate, LEGO Batman: The Videogame, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Super Meat Boy."

Whoa.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
MoFuzz said:
Mouse aiming makes the game piss easy tho, game seems to be better balanced for gamepads.
I suppose, but the controls are obnoxious enough this way. :lol

I don't need trouble aiming ontop of it! I've been S-ing my accuracy on almost every stage.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Fox318 said:
Most of it is extra stuff. Make sure you look at the maps, soundtracks, and Videos.
Oh? I wasn't going to download it now because of how big it was, but how much of it is extra non-gameplay stuff that I can stick on an external drive? How big are the actual game files?

52club

I really wish RE 5 and Bioshock 2 would have included the DLC. As many have probably heard, the last Bioshock 2 DLC is supposed to be prettty good.

The Tomb Raider game is too sweet to pass up at that price though. It is pretty cool they are giving "loyalty discounts" in this sale.

Fireflu said:
Christ, only just got steam working again and spent only £40, i have a problem. Please, help me.
Fixed.

You should have picked up Valve Complete at 50% off as your first move.

52club said:
I really wish RE 5 and Bioshock 2 would have included the DLC. As many have probably heard, the last Bioshock 2 DLC is supposed to be prettty good.
The last DLC for Bioshock 2 is not out yet on PC. :-/

Fireflu said:
Christ, only just got steam working again and spent over £40, i have a problem. Please, help me.

Buy enough games now and you won't need to get anything until next years sale, saving youa massive amount of money.

dream

So I change the server I'm downloading from and my throughput dropped by 50%. Switching it back to the server I was using still resulted in a neutered download speed.

Protip: LEAVE SHIT ALONE

Sectus

Darnit, steam! I own 6 Tomb Raider games, just give me that discount! *shakes fist*

Also, for those silly people saying silly things, RE5 is awesome. Coop doesn't make it worse. It's super fun playing it with another person. Playing it singleplayer is also fun, and it's refreshing having an AI partner who isn't cheaing with godmode turned on. Give Sheva some weapons and she can take care of herself. Put her in attack stance and she'll most probably play better than you.

poweld

So far:

Day 1:
Super Meat Boy - $3.75
The Oddboxx - $12.49
Bad Company 2 - $6.79
F.E.A.R. - $2.49

Day 2:
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - $5.10

TOTAL
$30.62

Leatherface

RE5 and Bioshock 2 should be $5. I would have bit, but I need to hold my ground with all these games coming. For now it's just Witcher/Burnout/Puzzlequest/Lara Croft. :lol

Nice, both the Witcher and Lara Croft were on my wishlist. Pity Lara wasn't 75% off, but oh well. Now all I want is for Warhead and Borderlands to be featured in a nice daily deal.

First two days have been pretty brutal for me so far, but they've been featuring games I've really wanted. Already spent about $56 total.

At least I already had Witcher, Defense Grid, and Burnout.

Today I picked up:
Puzzle Quest - Triple Dip just to have all my PQ games on Steam
Tomb Raider Anniversary - Double dip for Steam convenience and to get a discount off of GoL
Lara Croft GoL - Great game
RE5 - I've played the game to death on 360 and the DLC, but I loved it so much I want to play through the PC version too, and I sold the 360 disc long ago. The DLC was pretty cool, but I would NOT pass this game up just because PC doesn't get it. I don't understand why some people hate the game so much. I loved it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I love when I get old games like F.E.A.R. and I'm going through the options setting everything to max and it's like "This is severely affect performance." and then I play and it's going the max fps I am allowing it to.

However, I am somewhat irritated at how I have to install DirectX for every new game (I assume it is going into the game's individual folder) instead of them all just drawing from a common folder for Steam.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This just in from the newsroom

Activision sucks

More as the story develops.

Also, you jokers better be buying Lara Croft.

Polk

OmegaDragon said:
Nice, both the Witcher and Lara Croft were on my wishlist. Pity Lara wasn't 75% off, but oh well. Now all I want is for Warhead and Borderlands to be featured in a nice daily deal.
Well if you know someone with any TR games on steam you can gift LC game to you 76% off.

Click

Banned
dream said:
So I change the server I'm downloading from and my throughput dropped by 50%. Switching it back to the server I was using still resulted in a neutered download speed.

Protip: LEAVE SHIT ALONE

I switched from Washington D.C. to NY (I live in NY) and it increased my DL rate by a good amount...

Witcher_DL_Rate_02.png

Not sure why my settings has always been in D.C. in the first place.

Minsc

Gold Member
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
So I'm assuming the lack of Disciples III talk means it sucks and isn't worth 7.50 even? Looks somewhat interesting stylistically...

I'm excited to grab it later, might be the only thing I get today! I was told by a few people who played it it was worth it if you liked the series. I think this summed it up best from what I've read from GAF:

AdrianWerner said:
You should give Disciples III a chance. It's bassicaly what HoMM IV was - a good game on it's own, just not as good as previous part and too different from it.

The main complain about D3 is that it's too much like HoMM, so if you like both you might find it pretty good. I did. It wasn't anything earth shattering, but it was an nice enjoyable, even if a little too easy TBS.

There's a demo, and I only tried a brief bit of it, but wasn't instantly put off, so I'm hoping there's some redeeming qualities to the full version. I probably won't see a better deal than this for a while though.

dani_dc

Not sure if it's mentioned but LucasArts Adventure Pack is 50% off as well for the entire sale. Putting it at $5.
Great deal.

dani_dc said:
Not sure if it's mentioned but LucasArts Adventure Pack is 50% off as well for the entire sale. Putting it at $5.
Great deal.
They also just knocked down Sam and Max season 3 to $17.49. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if this became a daily deal sometime in the next two weeks.

Thankfully, nothing interests me today, so I'll just wait for tomorrow.

confused

Banned
Any US GAFfer thinking about buying the witcher/Burnout, I'll buy you a copy of the witcher/Burnout if you buy me TR: Anniversary

Steam ID is Zaangamer

DogWelder

Wallach said:
Wonder if King's Bounty: Crossworlds will go up as a daily deal... that would make me break my budget slightly.
Well the entire collection was on sale during the Give & Get sale a month ago. It was also a daily deal during the summer sale I believe. I'd say chances of it being a daily deal are high.

JoeBoy101

Minsc said:
Get the Witcher, its sequel looks much better, and is due out in under 6 months and you can import your character to it.

Wha-Wha-WHAT!?!

Godamnit, now I got to get around and get that game finished. Number 2 looks mounds better to me than 1. But hero import? That's one of my kryptonite elements (player housing is another).

Click said:

Why I'm glad I got discs for it. A good portion of that is all the spoken dialogue for the game. They have voice acting for all the dialogue ALL of their supported languages. Luckily I can do just my language and save a bunch of space.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The Witcher is mine. :D

Feels good to bag one of the PC games I've been dying to play, especially at such a crazy price. There's no point in installing it now, so at least I don't have to deal with a super long download. Unfortunately, that's it for me until Friday, I would have liked a few more like Lara Croft but at least I got a deal on one of my most wanted games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom