• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Chacranajxy said:
hrm... that Unreal Deal pack is calling to me. I know I want Unreal Tournament 2k4, and I already have Unreal Tournament 3... but what I'm not sure of is Unreal Gold. Is that game any good in single player mode? I remember liking it back in 5th grade when it came out, but I also liked Pitfall 3D then...

Edit: And while it's not on sale, I'm wondering how good Return to Castle Wolfenstein's single player is these days, too.

Sorry to keep asking questions :(

Unreal is pretty good. Its still from the Half Life 1/Quake 2 days, so its more of a pure FPS than anything else. The soundtrack and atmosphere is great too. You might have to download some new DX10.dll like most of the people who bought Deus EX 1 did.

I think Minsc (sp) knew where to find all the necessary stuff.

Wallach

Dice said:
It's a heavily modified Infinity Engine. I don't know if they gave it another name.

It's actually the Aurora engine. Infinity is what BioWare made for their 2D games (Baldur's gate, Planescape: Torment, etc).

Lafiel said:
Come on man. The original potato pack was to good to be true.:lol
I know this is true, but I can't help feeling betrayed!

I guess I'm okay with it if we see another deal for Amnesia and SMB.

I've already got the mega packs lined up for the buy too. I just want to have something to whine about! :(
EviLore said:
Prepare to be pissed, then.
:I

Teknoman

faceless007 said:
Unreal Gold was, at the time, one of the best and most memorable single-player FPSs. There's a moment in the first few levels that was so breathtaking it made everyone's jaw drop and the level design was unparalleled. Today it looks somewhat dated but not unbearably so and it's still fun (although it's somewhat old-school in being rather difficult).

This and the soundtrack is still top notch. Vortex Rikers, The dig site, and Dusk horizon are great.

Also the first Skarrj attack is pretty awesome when seen through nostalgia :lol Had no idea what was going on the first time it happened, and it was the first PC game i'd owned besides Diablo 1.

Double D

I either got Witcher to run better, or I just adjusted to the game. Either way I'm starting to enjoy it. Combat isn't great, but it isn't as dreadful as I has originally thought. Oh, and I just boned a chick and got her trading card.

lordy88 said:
Alright, the two on the table for me are:

Defense Grid - $2
The Witcher - Director's Cut - $5

Anyone have any thoughts about these respective games? The Witcher doesn't seem interesting enough for me to instantly pick up, i.e. the combat lucks boring, the loot ain't much to be happy about, and the story doesn't seem like it will engage me.

Please tell me why I should (or not) get these games.
Defense Grid is an absolute must have if you have even the slightest interest in tower defense games. I have over 100 hours playtime (a lot of it due to alt+tabbing but still!) getting golds on every level and challenge. It's incredibly addictive, polished and a frakking steal at that price. GET IT NOW!!!! That goes for everyone else too.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Reminds me that i still need to play the $2.50 copy i bought of defense grid a year ago. Damn steam backlogs.:lol

Made my first purchase from the steam sales thus far guardian of light (SO EXCITED to play this) and burnout paradise (probably not going play this eg not a burnout fan, but my dad and siblings should have some fun with it) for $10. Not bad

Goon Boon

Banned
Now that I traded some tf2 hats for a Minecraft alpha key, I can go back to paying real money for steam games, hopefully ones with real Q&A and for less than $10. :D

lordy88 said:
So...why should I get the Witcher? It seems to me that this games consists of the player merely running from Point A to B while clicking on dudes on the way, with a mediocre loot system and a rather uninteresting story.

Prove me wrong GAF

Geralt's a pretty awesome character. Just imagine the game as the physical manifestation of OT GAF complete with girl-age threads and Geralt is the only sane poster left.

Got Burnout: Ultimate Box. I am disappointed with the lack of DLC this isn't very ultimate at all! Still a great game, makes me want to get Hot Pursuit. I hope that game gets some PC support :(

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
riceandbeans said:
To anyone who's bought Lara Croft, is the online co-op community still pretty lively and is there an in-board keyboard chat option?

Online is dead as a doornail, but at least there is text chat.

Maybe I missed it, but it didn't seem like it was posted, but you can get Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light for $3.60 instead of $5 if you click on the link within the Square pack. For some reason it's cheaper there than on the main sale page.

derFeef

riceandbeans said:
To anyone who's bought Lara Croft, is the online co-op community still pretty lively and is there an in-board keyboard chat option?
I don´t know if coop needs an online community. Just enjoy it with a buddy or gaffer.

jediyoshi

Marty Chinn said:
Maybe I missed it, but it didn't seem like it was posted, but you can get Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light for $3.60 instead of $5 if you click on the link within the Square pack. For some reason it's cheaper there than on the main sale page.

They lead to the same page. It only appears as $3.60 if you own a Tomb Raider game already

Carlisle

Oh God I started out so good and ended so badly. Got BS2 and Witcher this morning and stopped. $15.

Then I got home from work and saw the PSN update and GAF and got VC2 (like 70% off Jesus), Penumbra Bundle, and a 250 GB 360 HDD. And now I'm up to $90. This was my first day of Steam Holiday sales since I missed yesterday due to flying. I will not last till January 3. Someone take my wallet from me now please. NOW.

Kritz

Banned
So while buying games for steam sales I made a .GIF about buying games in steam sales.

steam_animation_final.gif

(alternate: http://kritz.net/personal/steam_animation.gif)

Edgeward

Teknoman said:
Damn Prince of persia maxed out...so beautiful. Soundtrack is great too...combat system doesnt really bother me since it still feels sorta like Sands of time...just a little easier.

Glad I bought it though. 60+ fps too.

Goddamit, I wish I can get it working like that. I get an annoying as green line at the top of my screen and it's slightly jittery and fps is not 60 even on medium graphical settings.

i5 3.2 ghz
Win 7 64-bit
ATI Radeon HD 5670 1 gig

Help me PC gaf, this is seriously pissing me off. I tried switching to various compatibility modes but all it does is constantly restart the launcher.

Steam support kind of sucks. I tried to see if I could get refunded for the prince of persia purchase since I wanted the digital deluxe of forgotten sands and not the original and the only way they can refund apparently is buy refunding my whole order so I lose 5 games that I bought at a discount that day if I do it. So stupid that they can't "separate orders" and were supposed to know to buy games separately.

desverger

Only lost about 14€ so far, let's hope this year ends fast :p

Bought indie fantasy pack (surprisingly good games there), VVVVVV and Disciples 3. Kinda hoping they would put some of the King Arthur DLC up for sale.. or I might have to dip for Lionheart: King's Crusade as well before it all ends!

The_Dude

It said Super Meat Boy was unavailable to play, so I went offline and now can't get back on. Anyone else having a problem? I'm in Australia, if that's relevant.

Still debating whether to buy Witcher or grab a hardcopy of it.. All the extra bling sounds really worthless in digital form..

I got really burned by Stranger's Wrath tomorrow (I feel like a moron, taking such a leap of faith on a purchase..)..

Also, does Bioshock 2 on steam have non-Steam SecuROM DRM? I asked earlier but was ignored :(

Cronox

Banned
tahrikmili said:
Still debating whether to buy Witcher or grab a hardcopy of it.. All the extra bling sounds really worthless in digital form..

I got really burned by Stranger's Wrath tomorrow (I feel like a moron, taking such a leap of faith on a purchase..)..

Also, does Bioshock 2 on steam have non-Steam SecuROM DRM? I asked earlier but was ignored :(
Stranger's Wrath will be fixed. But seriously, you weren't actually thinking of playing any of these games, were you? This is about adding games to your backlog, half of which you only had a passing interest in until they went on sale.

Come on man, get with it before you bring me down too and I have to play one of these things.

CecilRousso said:
It has both Securom and GfWL (which comes with limited activations).
I noticed on the Bioschock 2 page under system requirements it mentioned as such. That normal for steam or do I still have to research such things myself?

Looks like defence grid, burnout and lara croft for me.

yonder

Got my account working again after some help from steam support! :D They put a lock on my account when my current ip address didn't match the one on my credit card (home for Christmas), but it's removed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom