• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
DangerousDave said:
There is some kind of DLC in Lara Croft? Or is only for console versions?

Looks like the DLC is already in there, under the DLC heading there is a ChallangePack2.

Ledsen

Vik_Vaughn said:
Goddamn, does Witcher run terrible for anyone else? The hell is going on here? Got everything set to Medium and it's running like shit. I can run Just Cause 2 wonderfully pretty much maxed out...

I can run it at ~30 fps on medium/high settings on my medium-grade laptop, so no, it's not supposed to be like that.

Ledsen

Kritz said:
So while buying games for steam sales I made a .GIF about buying games in steam sales.

steam_animation_final.gif

(alternate: http://kritz.net/personal/steam_animation.gif)

Make the disc keep growing and suck in everything in the room, then it'd be perfect.

Ledsen

Leatherface said:
I just gave Prince of Persia (2008?) a try for the first time. I REALLY like this so far. Such a fantastic art style and clever use of a second character. Fighting and acrobatics are fantastic as well.

Anyway, I don't know how I missed the boat on all these games, but this is my first 3D Prince of Persia ever. I never even played Sands of Time! :O

So GAF- did I choose a good one to start with? What do you recommend I play next in the series? I started with this one because I really like the art style and I think I made the right choice, but what is the order of excellence (I own them all now)? Are there any I should just skip all together for now? Thanks!

BTW- Steam Holiday sales make me feel like I'm 10 years old again. HAHA!

In a way you did, because you choose the absolutely worst one so it can only go up from there.

edit: sorry for the post spamming GAF, I read the thread backwards and then reply, forgetting I've already done so a few minutes earlier :lol

OK. I'm slightly pissed. Just Cause 2 is not compatible with XP. Great. Now I have to upgrade to Windows 7. Is there a quicker way to upgrade while keeping all the installs/registry cause I have SHIT LOAD OF GAMES/STUFF installed! :/

Randy

shagg_187 said:
OK. I'm slightly pissed. Just Cause 2 is not compatible with XP. Great. Now I have to upgrade to Windows 7. Is there a quicker way to upgrade while keeping all the installs/registry cause I have SHIT LOAD OF GAMES/STUFF installed! :/

If they're installed on a different drive, you just have to install Windows 7.

Ontopic: Bought BBC2 yesterday for around 14 euro. Anxious to play and see if it still lives up the great vibe I got from 1942 years ago.

1-D_FTW

DangerousDave said:
So ChallengePack1 is included in the game and you can buy ChallengePack2?

No. Challenge Pack 2 is included and you can't buy anything else. Visit the official thread and one of the mods has detailed the completely surreal way DLC has been handled for the game. It's unlike any game you've ever seen.

At least the game is incredible. Played a couple levels yesterday and it'll probably go down as my favorite purchase of the sale.

Randy said:
If they're installed on a different drive, you just have to install Windows 7.

One drive... :/ Oh well, I'll see what I can do.

That said: Off-topic? On-topic? You decide.

http://www.humblebundle.com/

As discussed here:
Humble Bundle just got awesomer. It now includes the original bundle for free to those that were the first ones to purchase bundle # 2. Also, for current purchasers, pay an amount more than the average to get all 11 games (Average is currently at $7.32).

Best of all (this is where it becomes On-topic), they are steam compatible! Get on with it for it includes:

World of Goo
Aquaria
Gish
Lugaru HD
Penumbra Overture
Samorost 2
Braid
Cortex Command
Machinarium
Osmos
Revenge of the Titans

+ Soundtracks for Machinarium, Osmos, Revenge of the Titans and Samorost 2

All for a minimum of $7.32!!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
semi offtopic :

the lovely steam-support removed any restrictions for me for when I'm going to travel abroad.

Damn I love you Gabe

1-D_FTW

shagg_187 said:
One drive... :/ Oh well, I'll see what I can do.

Probably hard to do now, but you can have up to 3 partitions on a hard drive. My main hard drive has XP on one partition, 7 on another, and a 3rd is for data that I want to keep when doing clean installs on an OS.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Corky said:
semi offtopic :

the lovely steam-support removed any restrictions for me for when I'm going to travel abroad.

Damn I love you Gabe

Same for me :)

scitek

Maybe old news, but for those wondering why there aren't any Activision games on sale, it's officially "Activision Games Week" over at Direct2Drive. Today's deal is Blur for $15.

ICallItFutile said:
I just beat it last night; what a great game.
arrg, I know, the demo was fantastic

I really want it to hit a dollar during this sale, as I have no interest in the other few games that are part of VVVV's indie bundle.

Come on great Steam gods. I've already given you 16 dollars this past week, make me even more happy than 10 dollar worms and 4 dollar Meat Boy made me!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Is it possible to send a Steam giftcard or credit someone else's account? I know my brother is keeping up with the sales, but I would prefer if he had the funds available to buy not to tell me which games he wants and then hope I am near a computer to buy it for him and then gift it.

IrishNinja

might be a dumb question, but: a friend gifted me Guardian of Light yesterday (so awesome!), and then i checked my email, and had a gift from yet another friend...not sure if it says what it is from there, but i opened it, and lo and behold, same game :lol

of course, my dumbass clicked "open" and it said something about no guest passes cause i own it, and now, nothing with that 2nd copy...is it still possible for me to pass it on someone else on my list? if not, how can i avoid this if it comes up again?

swear to god this is legit, totally not bragging about having awesome friends :D

Shaneus

Wellington said:
Is it possible to send a Steam giftcard or credit someone else's account? I know my brother is keeping up with the sales, but I would prefer if he had the funds available to buy not to tell me which games he wants and then hope I am near a computer to buy it for him and then gift it.
You could always credit his PayPal account if he has one.

Dunlop

Home from work, WOW is down..which of course means I need to buy a game

Lara Croft worth it? I have a wired 360 gamepad

I have the witcher already and seem to be in the .01% that hated the game, I just couldnt past the horrible as shit control scheme

IrishNinja said:
might be a dumb question, but: a friend gifted me Guardian of Light yesterday (so awesome!), and then i checked my email, and had a gift from yet another friend...not sure if it says what it is from there, but i opened it, and lo and behold, same game :lol

of course, my dumbass clicked "open" and it said something about no guest passes cause i own it, and now, nothing with that 2nd copy...is it still possible for me to pass it on someone else on my list? if not, how can i avoid this if it comes up again?

swear to god this is legit, totally not bragging about having awesome friends :D

Contact your friend. It'll show up on his account if you've activated it or not, and he can gift it to someone else if you already have the game.

GIVE IT TO ME!! I'LL GIVE YOU BEJEWELED 2 LOL! :p

drizzle

Axel Hertz
scitek said:
How much is Dead Rising 2? It's only $20 right now on Gamesforwindows.com, think it'll get lower than that?
Wellington said:
WUT. SOLD.
I rather pay 6 bucks more for Steam Integration. It's 26 on Steam right now.

I'll wait for another deal tho - even tho Capcom Deals are really sparse - I Really want most of their games on the System. Dark Void, Boinic Commando, Dead Rising 2...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fuck you Telstra cunts. I'm ready to stick this computer through the wall. This goddamn fucking bullshit dialup is now preventing Steam from logging in full stop. I got it to login last night but NOOO check-out errors gallore.

If Telstra weren't deep pocketed cunts my parents would have broadband, like the house two doors up.

RRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGEEEEEEEEE. I'm going to miss out on every sale up until the 27th because of this.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
drizzle said:
I rather pay 6 bucks more for Steam Integration. It's 26 on Steam right now.

I'll wait for another deal tho - even tho Capcom Deals are really sparse.
Actually you're right. Fucker, now I will have to wait it out to see if it shows up on a daily deal. :lol

What are the chances that actually happens?

My wishlist right now is:

Dead Rising 2
Dragon Age
Civ 5

Take my money, Gabe.

Ledsen

EatChildren said:
Fuck you Telstra cunts. I'm ready to stick this computer through the wall. This goddamn fucking bullshit dialup is now preventing Steam from logging in full stop. I got it to login last night but NOOO check-out errors gallore.

If Telstra weren't deep pocketed cunts my parents would have broadband, like the house two doors up.

RRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGEEEEEEEEE. I'm going to miss out on every sale up until the 27th because of this.

Just ask someone else to buy games for you and gift them to you.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Wellington said:
Actually you're right. Fucker, now I will have to wait it out to see if it shows up on a daily deal. :lol

What are the chances that actually happens?

My wishlist right now is:

Dead Rising 2
Dragon Age
Civ 5

Take my money, Gabe.
'

I'd say the chances are somewhat high.

I mean roughly : there's like 1000 games on sale, whereas there are 12ish games on daily sales for a total of 14 days or so. Which is again roughly 170 daily deals. And these daily deals seem to focus on big titles ( aswell as smaller ones , but still ).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ledsen said:
My friend is traveling to the US right now, and is Internet-less. So I'm SMSing her every deal every day and, if she wants something, I'll just gift it to her and she'll pay me back later.

It's not that big of a deal - and I'm pretty sure you can find somebody on GAF that will easily do it for you, as long as you give them the money first on PayPal.

dwebo

EatChildren said:

You can purchase from their website - maybe it'll let you log in there? I mean, you're posting here so obviously some of your internet is working :lol

1-D_FTW

EatChildren said:

How are you downloading these huge files on dial-up anyways? Are you just home for the Christmas holiday?

You could always just log into the website and purchase there. Maybe even just put some money in a Steam wallet to make checkout even easier.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ledsen said:

This is what I'm doing, though its annoying as loading PayPal on this internet is horrible as well. Ironically, its the three games I was gifted earlier today that seem to have bricked Steam from logging in at all.

dwebo said:
You can purchase from their website - maybe it'll let you log in there? I mean, you're posting here so obviously some of your internet is working :lol

I cant even do that. It stops loading during check-out, refusing to get to payment. I even dumped cash into my Steam wallet in preparation for this.

1-D_FTW said:
How are you downloading these huge files on dial-up anyways? Are you just home for the Christmas holiday?

Visiting the folks for Christmas, so while I'm down this way I'm stucking using their terrible internet. My home is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom