• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

YYZ

shagg_187 said:
One drive... :/ Oh well, I'll see what I can do.

That said: Off-topic? On-topic? You decide.

http://www.humblebundle.com/

As discussed here:
Humble Bundle just got awesomer. It now includes the original bundle for free to those that were the first ones to purchase bundle # 2. Also, for current purchasers, pay an amount more than the average to get all 11 games (Average is currently at $7.32).

Best of all (this is where it becomes On-topic), they are steam compatible! Get on with it for it includes:

World of Goo
Aquaria
Gish
Lugaru HD
Penumbra Overture
Samorost 2
Braid
Cortex Command
Machinarium
Osmos
Revenge of the Titans

+ Soundtracks for Machinarium, Osmos, Revenge of the Titans and Samorost 2

All for a minimum of $7.32!!
I hope everyone is doing this. All those great games for as little as less than $1 each.

Shaneus

YYZ said:
I hope everyone is doing this. All those great games for as little as less than $1 each.
Fuck, I just bought the second pack earlier today for $10 :(

Edit: Just read the details, all good.

Baha

Wellington said:
Is it possible to send a Steam giftcard or credit someone else's account? I know my brother is keeping up with the sales, but I would prefer if he had the funds available to buy not to tell me which games he wants and then hope I am near a computer to buy it for him and then gift it.

Add some funds to his Steam Wallet and tell him to budget his purchases around that. Just click on the "xxx's Account" link at the top-right of steam, and you can access the wallet on the right hand side. Better than using Paypal as he won't have to worry about service charges.

Donos

What is this steam and why did i just bought burnout for 4€...
I have to write my Masterthesis and have no time for this.... Good that i already own the Witcher...
Games at 0,70€?? Even if i'm not tempted to play them i want buy them. Fuck this steam ! And i bought Bad Company 2 already from EA :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gryphter said:
Hey all, I'm new to the Steam and even PC gaming scene. What control input does VVVVVV take? Recommended 360 controller?

Just use keyboard. Arrow keys to control left and right, and S or space or whatever to shift gravity. That is all you need. There's no jumping.

Quixzlizx

Would anyone like to recommend any of the indie packs? Please elaborate on which games you've enjoyed, because if you're only going to recommend one based on the most well-known game in each pack (ex. VVVVVVV), I probably already own it from the Thanksgiving indie packs :lol

I <3 Memes said:
What is this "Steam Rating" in the profiles?

The amount of hours you've played in the last two weeks gives you a rating. The higher, the more hours you've played. Goes from 1-10. I think you get a ten when you've played 30 or more hours.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Quixzlizx said:
Would anyone like to recommend any of the indie packs? Please elaborate on which games you've enjoyed, because if you're only going to recommend one based on the most well-known game in each pack (ex. VVVVVVV), I probably already own it from the Thanksgiving indie packs :lol

So, of the packs, I've played:
Smarts - Lumines is a shitty shitty low content port of a great game; Puzzle Agent is a good not great Professor Layton clone with a dark, Fargo-esque tone to it; Droplitz is a puzzle game that has its heritage in Hexic, Bejeweled Twist, and Pipe Dream -- I found it neat but the PC version has some technical issues and some people didn't like the core puzzle; Puzzle Dimension I've never played but it's in the top 10 best reviewed PC games of the year, no kidding. No idea about Quantz, but it's always on sale somewhere.

Fright - pass; Burn Zombie Burn is pretty mediocre, Zombie Driver is total jank, I didn't actually like The Void although it has a following amongst GAF.

Flight; Flotilla is really excellent. Each game is a self-contained, 30 minute mix of Homeworld meets Choose Your Own Adventure with a really cool visual style. Everyday Shooter was well received on PS3.

Future; Played Uplink, didn't like the interface. Played Hacker Evolution, didn't like the gameplay. Plan to play Twin Sector but it's got a sub-50 metacritic so let's be honestly it isn't going to be any good.

Adventure; And Yet It Moves is popular here but I was instantly turned off. I didn't like the art style or core mechanics. I felt like it borrowed a little from Prince of Persia / Blackthorne / Exit and put the clunky feel of their platforming into a bad puzzle game. Gish is... terrible. It's got the worst menus and presentation I think I've ever seen and movement is unbearably slow. The level design might get good at some point, but my first impression was so bad. Jolly Rover is a solid if slight attempt at a Monkey Island style humorous adventure. Some good puzzles and it knows not to overstay its welcome.

Beat; Chime is a great spacial/rhythm arcade game with some sweet tunes, bit.trip beat is an excellent psychadelic pong meets shmup meets rhythm game. Beat Hazard is rhythm meets Geometry Wars as I understand it. All three of these are very well liked here, I can only vouch for the first two.

Kids; Max and the Magic Marker sucked on WiiWare due to performance issues and content/value issues in my mind, but for $1 and with a superior PC port it's probably worth it. Toki Tori is one of the best puzzle games on Steam, and it plays similarly to Lemmings only with direct character control and only one character.

2d; Galcon Fusion is like Risk in real time, lots of game modes, very fun. VVVVV is fantastic. Geometry Wars is a true classic in its genre, which I don't ordinarily like. Big recommendation to this one.

Fantasy; NyxQuest is an okay platformer on WiiWare, I assume the PC port is decent.

Brain; ZenBound is a very cool game. You wind string around irregularly shaped objects, trying to cover as much of the object with as little string as possible. Awesome on iPhone, I imagine it looks spectacular here. I bought this one because I was interested in Diamond Dan, Windosill, and Big Brain Wolf and I had played the iOS Zen Bound games.

MehsterChief said:
The amount of hours you've played in the last two weeks gives you a rating. The higher, the more hours you've played. Goes from 1-10. I think you get a ten when you've played 30 or more hours.

That has to be the most useless nonsense feature on Steam. :lol

buffi

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Fright - pass; Burn Zombie Burn is pretty mediocre, Zombie Driver is total jank, I didn't actually like The Void although it has a following amongst GAF.

You forgot to mention that fright contains The Path which is generally considered to be pretty good and usually costs 10$ by itself.

Quixzlizx

Stumpokapow said:
So, of the packs, I've played:
Smarts - Lumines is a shitty shitty low content port of a great game; Puzzle Agent is a good not great Professor Layton clone with a dark, Fargo-esque tone to it; Droplitz is a puzzle game that has its heritage in Hexic, Bejeweled Twist, and Pipe Dream -- I found it neat but the PC version has some technical issues and some people didn't like the core puzzle; Puzzle Dimension I've never played but it's in the top 10 best reviewed PC games of the year, no kidding. No idea about Quantz, but it's always on sale somewhere.

Flight; Flotilla is really excellent. Each game is a self-contained, 30 minute mix of Homeworld meets Choose Your Own Adventure with a really cool visual style. Everyday Shooter was well received on PS3.

Future; Played Uplink, didn't like the interface. Played Hacker Evolution, didn't like the gameplay. Plan to play Twin Sector but it's got a sub-50 metacritic so let's be honestly it isn't going to be any good.

Adventure; And Yet It Moves is popular here but I was instantly turned off. I didn't like the art style or core mechanics. I felt like it borrowed a little from Prince of Persia / Blackthorne / Exit and put the clunky feel of their platforming into a bad puzzle game. Gish is... terrible. It's got the worst menus and presentation I think I've ever seen and movement is unbearably slow. The level design might get good at some point, but my first impression was so bad. Jolly Rover is a solid if slight attempt at a Monkey Island style humorous adventure. Some good puzzles and it knows not to overstay its welcome.

Beat; Chime is a great spacial/rhythm arcade game with some sweet tunes, bit.trip beat is an excellent psychadelic pong meets shmup meets rhythm game. Beat Hazard is rhythm meets Geometry Wars as I understand it. All three of these are very well liked here, I can only vouch for the first two.

Kids; Max and the Magic Marker sucked on WiiWare due to performance issues and content/value issues in my mind, but for $1 and with a superior PC port it's probably worth it. Toki Tori is one of the best puzzle games on Steam, and it plays similarly to Lemmings only with direct character control and only one character.

2d; Galcon Fusion is like Risk in real time, lots of game modes, very fun. VVVVV is fantastic. Geometry Wars is a true classic in its genre, which I don't ordinarily like. Big recommendation to this one.

Fantasy; NyxQuest is an okay platformer on WiiWare, I assume the PC port is decent.

Brain; ZenBound is a very cool game. You wind string around irregularly shaped objects, trying to cover as much of the object with as little string as possible. Awesome on iPhone, I imagine it looks spectacular here. I bought this one because I was interested in Diamond Dan, Windosill, and Big Brain Wolf and I had played the iOS Zen Bound games.

Thank you for the writeup.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I <3 Memes said:

it's not useless when you play some game for 10 hours and the game doesn't record your playtime and you're left with some noob level rating and then you're like "whyyyyyy" so you play 40 hours of plants vs zombies to regain your hardcore credibility

Puzzle Quest is a waste of time. It just takes time, lacks challenge and isnt really rewarding in any way. There are much better games to play. I cannot recommend it even for this price.

Shaneus

TBH I really enjoyed Uplink. The interface is a little wonky but I think that's part of the overall charm (how cliche does THAT sound?). You could probably toy around with the screen resolution if it's a bit funny... I played it for ages before realising the default resolution isn't the native monitor res. Once I changed it, things were far easier to navigate.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Ok gaf, opinions.

The Witcher and/or Puzzle Quest.

Are the games awesome, good, mediocre?
Puzzle Quest is really boring, from what I've played of the DS version..

Witcher is a must buy.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Stumpokapow said:
I didn't actually like The Void although it has a following amongst GAF.
Yeah I bought this a while back on D2D and couldn't make hide nor hair of what I was supposed to be doing. Moved around a bit, did some stuff with trees and color, I may have lost, I wasn't really sure, I appeared to be stuck. Then to add insult to injury, when I went to revoke my authorization for the completely unnecessary DRM it instead used up another authorization. Tried again another authorization gone, leaving one authorization and they don't recover. There is no mention of DRM on the steam page so I guess they removed it for steam.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I <3 Memes said:
Especially as some games boot to a launcher screen and so your playtime is recorded as the 25 seconds or so that the launcher is up.

How quick are the battles in King's Bounty?

Sort of regret not picking it up in the thanksgiving sale and I'm hoping for a daily deal at some point.

Is it the sort of game where I could grind out a few battles before bed? Of is each battle a more drawn out affair?

Minsc

Gold Member
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Ok gaf, opinions.

I played Puzzle Quest on the Wii, found it very enjoyable. Those saying it lacks challenge never tried unlocking the most difficulty abilities in the bonus modes. Sometimes you'd have to play a level for hours to pass it. There's also some interesting combinations of abilities you can create. If you like Match-3 games, it is a must. A good 30+ hours of gameplay.

The Witcher is indeed awesome! A must buy for any RPG fan.

HamPster PamPster said:
How quick are the battles in King's Bounty?

Sort of regret not picking it up in the thanksgiving sale and I'm hoping for a daily deal at some point.

Is it the sort of game where I could grind out a few battles before bed? Of is each battle a more drawn out affair?

It's like HoM&M, battles last for only a few minutes or less. The problem is stopping and not playing the next one, and the next one, and the next one...

Dynoro

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Ok gaf, opinions.

Puzzle Quest is good, Witcher is excellent. PQ is good for short bursts, where as Witcher is for long play sessions and enjoying the story (along with the gameplay). Hard to say no to PQ at that price but I would suggest Witcher if you will only buy one of them.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
shagg_187 said:
One drive... :/ Oh well, I'll see what I can do.

That said: Off-topic? On-topic? You decide.

http://www.humblebundle.com/

As discussed here:
Humble Bundle just got awesomer. It now includes the original bundle for free to those that were the first ones to purchase bundle # 2. Also, for current purchasers, pay an amount more than the average to get all 11 games (Average is currently at $7.32).

Best of all (this is where it becomes On-topic), they are steam compatible! Get on with it for it includes:

World of Goo
Aquaria
Gish
Lugaru HD
Penumbra Overture
Samorost 2
Braid
Cortex Command
Machinarium
Osmos
Revenge of the Titans

+ Soundtracks for Machinarium, Osmos, Revenge of the Titans and Samorost 2

All for a minimum of $7.32!!
TY! Original 5 games redeemed! :D

Samorost 2 doesn't get added to the library since it's a bonus unfortunately.

Wow, the Witcher install is huge!

I have some free time the next couple of days and a lot of it is going to be devoted to vanilla Bad Company 2 and Vietnam since I'm starting from scratch, but I'd also like to play through a good single player game before Jan 1st.

Does anyone have any length estimates for Beyond Good and Evil, the newest Prince of Persia or Bioshock 2?

kai3345

Banned
I think my Witcher might be glitched. Whenever I'm in combat my character doesn't go into a typical sword fighting stance. He just kind of holds it above his head like a complete dumbass. Is this supposed to be like this?

JDS 1977

Banned
Witcher for 5$ is a great deal, but I already own the boxed enhanced version anyway. I feel like Randy Marsh trying to resist the evil Wal Mart deals.

epmode

kai3345 said:
I think my Witcher might be glitched. Whenever I'm in combat my character doesn't go into a typical sword fighting stance. He just kind of holds it above his head like a complete dumbass. Is this supposed to be like this?
There are three different combat stances which you should be switching between depending on your enemy

Peff

kai3345 said:

Like this? Yep, it's normal.

kai3345 said:

I think if you press "Z" it switches combat stances. Group, strength and speed are the different ones. You are most likely in Strength-based.

JDS 1977

Banned
kai3345 said:

Pretty much. The combat takes some getting used to. It's one of the reasons I've had a hard time getting into the game.

Minsc

Gold Member
There's always been a big debate between CD Projekt and users over the sword play. CD Projekt claims (and has) said they've motion captured the sword fighting from "professionals" and for the most part the way Geralt handles the sword is realistically how someone would carry it.

Then there's the gamers, who find the "realistic" way of swordplay totally ridiculous looking. It doesn't bother me, since the over the head stance quickly lets me know I'm in the strong stance, and the others are also pretty identifiable.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I think if you press "Z" it switches combat stances. Group, strength and speed are the different ones. You are most likely in Strength-based.

Controls are here, z,x,c switch between styles. Pressing z just puts you on the strong one.

Zzoram

Ya holding a sword in the overhead position is a correct combat stance. It doesn't look like fake movie stances but it's more practical.

gotee12

jj984jj said:
TY! Original 5 games redeemed! :D

Samorost 2 doesn't get added to the library since it's a bonus unfortunately.
This was such a great deal that I bought another bundle to gift to a buddy of mine.

thundr51

Picked up Witcher and Defense = $7.00.

Just small enough to fly under the wife's radar. Since I just finished HL2 guess I'll start on the witcher next with spurts of dirt2 and GT5 to break things up. Of course if they ever get around to offering Oblivion on sale, It's going to destroy my schedule.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Wellington said:
Actually you're right. Fucker, now I will have to wait it out to see if it shows up on a daily deal. :lol

What are the chances that actually happens?

wasn't Dead Rising 2 already a daily deal on Monday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom