• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
The games are now redeemable in Steam via keys? So much for installing them manually and adding Steam UI Overlay like I did with Humble Bundle #1 :lol

Minsc

Gold Member
Willy105 said:
Civ 4 Complete is at $6. Should I get it?

If you like Civ games and don't care for the graphics of the older ones (Alpha Centauri), it's currently the best one out.

WillyFive

Baha said:

Civ 4 get.

Minsc said:
If you like Civ games and don't care for the graphics of the older ones (Alpha Centauri), it's currently the best one out.

I started out with Civ 3, and I wanted Civ V, but since Civ 4 is a lot cheaper, I guess I should get this first either way.

Anyone have experience/know if it's really possible to upgrade Intel stock graphic cards in laptops? I have an Asus K40IJ/K50IJ that can run Portal (just kinda barely) I just got this thing in May, but I really wanna be able to play more games.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
RunWhiteBoyRun said:
Anyone have experience/know if it's really possible to upgrade Intel stock graphic cards in laptops? I have an Asus K40IJ/K50IJ that can run Portal (just kinda barely) I just got this thing in May, but I really wanna be able to play more games.
I don't think there's a notebook for sale in which you can upgrade anything other than RAM and HDD. Everything else is usually soldered down to the motherboard.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Minsc said:

The one game that makes me depressed everytime I remember its not compatible with Windows 7 is Alpha Centauri. By far the best Civ game ever its not even funny. Going from AC to well any Civ makes diplomacy seem so weak and pathetic in comparison.

Wonder if I could install it and get it running in a virtual machine...

RunWhiteBoyRun said:
Where would you fit it?

Wallach

Zerokku said:
The one game that makes me depressed everytime I remember its not compatibly with Windows 7 is Alpha Centauri. By far the best Civ game ever its not even funny. Going from AC to well any Civ makes diplomacy seem so weak and pathetic in comparison.

Wonder if I could install it and get it running in a virtual machine...

High five. Alpha Centauri is the fucking business.

If you don't own the Witcher and you play anything other than casual or sports games, go ahead and buy the game right now.

Has anyone tried out Nyxquest for the PC? I loved the Wii demo, and the bundle price is pretty tempting on steam, but I've heard that it's really glitchy.

Also wanted to see if anyone has played Diamond Dan, since it is the only game I think I might want out of the Brain pack other than Zenbound 2, and I might just get that by itself if Diamond Dan is not that great.

Will probably get the Kids Pack and the 2D pack, just not sure about the Fantasy and Brain pack.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm wondering if I should jump in on the Just Cause 2 DLC, since they're all 50% off. They all sound like overpowered stuff to make the game easier for you...

Sipowicz said:
how is it different from regular ones? it looks a bit like starcraft
It's just the perfect tower defense game. The graphic style and "storyline" is strange, but the gameplay is perfect.

Other tower defense games feel too easy or too hard or have towers with overlapping responsibilities or cheap enemies that piss you off, but Defense Grid nails everything. It feels right in the same way Mario feels right as a platformer while thousands of similar games try to copy it and feel slightly wrong.

Sipowicz said:

Well balanced towers, great maps (really the highlight of the game), nice visuals, things like fast forward and instant-rewind-to-checkpoint, 6-7 different modes, leaderboards, worthwhile DLC, achievements (if that's your thing) and it's a good challenge for players of any level.

Other tower defense games feel too easy or too hard or have towers with overlapping responsibilities or cheap enemies that piss you off, but Defense Grid nails everything. It feels right in the same way Mario feels right as a platformer while thousands of similar games try to copy it and feel slightly wrong.

Well said. It gets just about everything "right".

On top of that the game has had great support as far as patches go, plus some free DLC.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
EA store had ME2 for like $10 a few weeks ago, I don't regret jumping on that even tho I haven't had time to sit down and go through it.

We're an hour away from the update, finally. This day has dragged on. Let's go Dead Rising and Dragon Age!

Alright, you guys convinced me to bite on Defense Grid.

Sipowicz said:

It's pretty much just a TD game with pretty nice graphics and cool maps. Considering the price it would be stupid not to buy it. I loved the game.

Wallach

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
It's just the perfect tower defense game. The graphic style and "storyline" is strange, but the gameplay is perfect.

Totally agree. Defense Grid is still my favorite tower defense game of all time. God damn they need to make a sequel.

Sipowicz

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:

hmm... i kind of know what you mean

i've just bought it, it's only like one pound forty. i decided to get witcher and lara croft as well for obvious reason.

i was going to get biochock 2 and re5 as well but bioshock 2 sounds like it's not as good as the first one and i'm not buying re5 if they cant even be bothered to make the DLC availible. i like capcom but that's ridiculous

gregor7777 said:
Well balanced towers, great maps (really the highlight of the game), nice visuals, things like fast forward and instant-rewind-to-checkpoint, 6-7 different modes, leaderboards, worthwhile DLC, achievements (if that's your thing) and it's a good challenge for players of any level.

that sounds pretty amazing actually

Artadius

My body is ready again today.

qwy8eb.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
drizzle said:
I'm wondering if I should jump in on the Just Cause 2 DLC, since they're all 50% off. They all sound like overpowered stuff to make the game easier for you...
Do it. I did the same thing on a previous sale for the game and it came out to like 3.50$ and most of the things are pretty damn cool and I got the game for 35$ to begin with.

Wallach

Sipowicz said:
hmm... i kind of know what you mean

i've just bought it, it's only like one pound forty. i decided to get witcher and lara croft as well for obvious reason.

i was going to get biochock 2 and re5 as well but bioshock 2 sounds like it's not as good as the first one and i'm not buying re5 if they cant even be bothered to make the DLC availible. i like capcom but that's ridiculous

I think Bioshock 2 is a pretty good game. It isn't as good as Bioshock, but if you like Bioshock you should pick it up sometime because it is still worth playing. If you can get in on someone's 4-pack still maybe it would be even cheaper.

coopolon

Diomedeskun said:
If you don't own the Witcher and you play anything other than casual or sports games, go ahead and buy the game right now.

Has anyone tried out Nyxquest for the PC? I loved the Wii demo, and the bundle price is pretty tempting on steam, but I've heard that it's really glitchy.

Also wanted to see if anyone has played Diamond Dan, since it is the only game I think I might want out of the Brain pack other than Zenbound 2, and I might just get that by itself if Diamond Dan is not that great.

Will probably get the Kids Pack and the 2D pack, just not sure about the Fantasy and Brain pack.

I have not gotten all that far in it, but I have not encountered any glitches and think it plays fine. The real problem with is for some reason you can't vsync it (at least I couldn't, although I only attempted for like 5 minutes.) And so it screen tears like a screen tearing fiend.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Wallach said:
I think Bioshock 2 is a pretty good game. It isn't as good as Bioshock, but if you like Bioshock you should pick it up sometime because it is still worth playing. If you can get in on someone's 4-pack still maybe it would be even cheaper.
Bioshock 2 would've been so much better if the little sisters didn't require so much backtracking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom