• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stallion Free said:
It's funny because I have a stable net connection and I put 30ish hours into Splinter Cell Conviction and Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands and I didn't have a single issue. They also saved my game to the cloud.

Same here, never had an issue with any of the new DRM PC games from Ubi. It's quite convenient, no different from Steam really OTHER THAN not being able to play Offline. Cloud support saves, unobtrusive system that people just need to accept and move on.

Aaron

plagiarize said:
yes yes and yes.

Just Cause 2 looks very tempting at $7.50... i know it has a large fanbase on gaf.

so, gaf... are the missions and the story any good or is it one of those sandbox games that are awesome for all the other things in the game (like Prototype)? will help me make my purchase decision.
It is 99% the latter. You blow shit up and listen to TERRIBLE voice acting.

Going to pick up Recettear finally. I'm not a big Indie game fan so I didn't want the big pack that was on sale a month or two ago.

I actually still regret picking up AudioSurf partially because I just don't like it that much but more importantly, I don't keep my music on my bootcamp partition so I always have to manually drag songs over.

Minsc

Gold Member
Nothing for me to buy or get upset that people hate on today's list! Phew.

Luxor > Zuma though.

kharma45 said:
Holy fuck, Aliens vs Predator is 15GB :eek:

Pretty standard size these days, it seems.

So how customizable is railworks? Can you change the color of the train and stuff? Do you get to build your own layout or is it premade layouts you run the trains on?

Daigoro

damn i want a few of these today.

gotta buy Trials 2 for 2.50. kinda want AvP, but 15 gigs! damn.

i also want Day of Defeat, but i dunno if ill ever really play it...

kodt

Banned
Maybe JC2 today.

Nothing else that I want (that I don't already have)

Also MW1 at $15 = :lol

Cant wait for MW2 sale at $55 MEGA DISCOUNT PRICE. :lol

Teknoman

Probably would've bought Assassins Creed II, but already snagged PoP, so i've got my beautiful acrobatic platforming game for the year.

AvP...is tempting.

cicero

-Rogue5- said:
I said it yesterday, but I'm gonna feel mightily ripped off if ME1 and DA:O end up being 75% off... I know they're trying to make money, but it's a blatant ripping off of those who can't check the stuff everyday...

...granted I plan on checking everyday, but that's besides the point.

EDIT: t-minus 1min.
What a ridiculous comment to make. They are in NO way ripping anyone off.

For any folks on the fence I picked up Just Cause 2 on the Thanksgiving sale and I think that it's great. Normally I don't like open world games (GTA IV, RF:G and what not) but Just Cause 2 joins Crackdown in the set of these games that I like.

Both JC 2 and Crackdown have a big focus on both collectibles and a focus on the movement of your character. With the grappling hook and the parachutes moving Rico from location to location around the massive island is great fun, even without an active mission to spur you on. The actual missions are just ok, there are a few slightly original ones (the Mile High Club, the abandoned WWII weather stations) but even those are pretty by the books. The real fun comes from creating your own fun in the levels. Hijack a plane from a military base, then fly it around and blast the crap out of the base. Grapple a grunt enemy to a propane tank and then blast a hole in the tank to launch him into the air. Drive a motorcycle to the highest point in the game and then ride it off the cliff edge to base jump. Grab a Cessna and try to fly it under all the bridges in the island.

The game has really varied scenery and looks great on my system. Having all the different climate types helps to keep the surroundings fresh, so when I'm bored with the desert region I just nip over into the snow capped mountains for a few missions. Of even just forget the missions totally and dig about for armor upgrades in out of the way locations. Having a percentage to "complete" a region in terms of collectibles and objects to destroy is great so I know that when I get to around 70% or so (I'm not a 100% type of gamer) I know that the region is tapped out and I just move on to the next section.

Aaron said:
thank you. that was all i needed to hear to hold off for now. nothing again today for me. got Meat Boy, Prince of Persia 2008, and Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands so far. Forgotten Sands and i spent about two and a half hours together last night.

it's actually pretty good. well worth the $5. (2008 i beat on 360 and loved it. wanted the PC version for the graphics and the posterity).

Loxley

Yay, got my wish for a CoD4 price drop :D $15 is still bullshit for a 3 year-old game, but the game is still incredibly active, so I guess that makes the purchase a bit easier.

zoku88

I was excited about spore when it first came out, but never actually picked it up. How was it? I heard it was disappointing.

And, I think I'm totally getting Railworks :lol I'm just so curious about it, since it floods steam's pages so often :lol

fresquito

Tempted to pick up Trials 2 and Bully. Bully I'm aware how awesome the game can be and I've heard great things about Trials. However, I recently picked up Just Cause 2, the two humble packs, a 5 indie games pack, The Witcher and I've been gifted Lara Croft. I can't see myself getting two games more.

On the other hand, it's only 5€ and I could play these sometime in the future. Decisions, decisions...

plagiarize said:
yes yes and yes.

Just Cause 2 looks very tempting at $7.50... i know it has a large fanbase on gaf.

so, gaf... are the missions and the story any good or is it one of those sandbox games that are awesome for all the other things in the game (like Prototype)? will help me make my purchase decision.

It's so much fun. The story is just a string of action movie cliches, but the hero's fake but badass accent makes it all awesome. The actual gameplay is awesome, and some of the missions are very unique. It's like a sandbox Bionic commando. You can grapple up to any helicopter, shoot the guards, throw out the pilot, and fly it to anywhere on the massive, detailed set of islands within 20 minutes of starting the game. You can go around assassinating targets, racing vehicles, and blowing up anything that helps the enemy at any time as well.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing at all for me today. Anyone who doesn't have Just Cause 2 should get it, runs well, looks great.

I was hoping for Assassins Creed 1 to get a further discount before I buy. I also wont buy AC2 because of the DRM. Wouldn't it have made more sense to put AC1 in as a daily deal before AC2 though?

Baha

fresquito said:
Tempted to pick up Trials 2 and Bully. Bully I'm aware how awesome the game can be and I've heard great things about Trials. However, I recently picked up Just Cause 2, the two humble packs, a 5 indie games pack, The Witcher and I've been gifted Lara Croft. I can't see myself getting two games more.

On the other hand, it's only 5€ and I could play these sometime in the future. Decisions, decisions...

I'd still say Bully is worth your time, just get it now and play it later.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Aaron said:
in all his awfulness, i sort of like rico. reminds me of marco from sealab 2021. he's like a bowl of paella marinaded in cologne after a cheap fuck with a tijuana hooker with a heart of gold.

she didn't asked for a dime, but you paid her anyway.

Baha said:
Well I got it as part of a Call of Duty pack for $30 that included Call of Duty, Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty: United Offensive, Call of Duty World at War & Call of Duty 4. So yeah I guess I'm a bit biased :lol .

Fair enough, but it's the only one I wanted, and by itself it's not a bad price.

Owzers

How bad is Spore's DRM on steam? It's 75% off the main game too, i'd pass on the bundle, thinking of getting the main game for $7.50.

Yay, neigh?

gotee12

zoku88 said:
I was excited about spore when it first came out, but never actually picked it up. How was it? I heard it was disappointing.

And, I think I'm totally getting Railworks :lol I'm just so curious about it, since it floods steam's pages so often :lol

Railworks 2 is awesome, if you like the "lazy Sunday afternoon" type of game. I "traded in my pew pews for choo choos" a few weeks ago when I bought it at $20 and haven't regretted it. Though I do have some weird graphical hitches with my HD 6850. But I'm sure they'll be worked out with a future patch. The problems don't inhibit a very relaxing train sim...

Double D

Triple dip on Bully? Also, just saw that Clones is the indie deal today and read that it is a Lemmings clone. I really enjoyed Lemmings back in the day, and would jump on this immediately if it had Mac support. For some reason I enjoy playing indie games on my Macbook rather than my Win desktop. Maybe I'll just skip today all together. It's only day 3 after all

Any reason to pick AC2 (other than price) over Brotherhood?

Every thing I've heard makes it seem like Brotherhood is the better game. You can just wiki and youtube the story to get caught up.

Is Brotherhood coming to the PC?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Baha said:
No it was $5 during a Steam sale back in October.
Sucks that i didn't buy it then. I'm probably going pay $17 for this, because I'm inpatient.>_> might grab JC2 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom