• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Two days in a row where I haven't purchased anything? What kind of Steam sale is this? :( I'm going to have to start buying games for others just to keep from feeling left out!

Davidion

Might be only Bully Today. Assassin's Creed would be a nice buy but with the DRM it ain't going to be worth it till the price falls through the floor.

Anyone got clones?

Is there a reason EA hasn't out the Sims games up on Steam? I know the games do well enough through retail but it seems silly to leave out one of the biggest online distributors for one of your biggest franchises.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Bully @ $3.75 is a steal, but it's a pretty 'meh' day for me (which is good, I need an off day).

Trials is tempting since I loved the XBLA game, but I haven't heard much about the PC Trials games.

Mihos said:
Pulled the trigger on Bully, AC3, and Spore.

I am on the fence with Just Cause 2. It would take very little to push me over the edge on that one.

Buy! Buy! Buy! It's one of the most entertaining games I own. Sandbox mayhem + Bionic Commando + beautiful tropical setting = win

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
HamPster PamPster said:
Any reason to pick AC2 (other than price) over Brotherhood?

Every thing I've heard makes it seem like Brotherhood is the better game. You can just wiki and youtube the story to get caught up.

Is Brotherhood coming to the PC?
You need to play AC2 to understand what the hell is going on in Ass Bro. But you can safely skip AC1.

It's probably less effort to just play the thing than to pore over YouTube, Wikipedia, and GameFaqs for story bits.

Lumine

What's the DRM with AC2? I'm about to cross this off my list and just wait 'till I have played AC1 first and maybe when it's on a cheaper sale.

I'll probably just go ahead with bully and just cause 2.

1-D_FTW

dream said:
Trials 2 is significantly worse than Trials HD, right?
Seems that's the consensus. Trials HD seemed to have analog support for the controller and was built with it in mind. Trials 2 is a quality game, it's just rage inducing hard. If you're a mortal, you'll eventually delete from your hard drive because you'll be disgusted you just reset a level 75 times trying to clear a jump. You'll ask yourself WTF am I doing? Why am I playing this. And proceed to play more. Eventually deletion is your only salvation. It's incredibly addictive, just mercilessly hard. And not in a very satisfying way. More of a FU way.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Karram said:
It's also not available in my region. Basically I can't buy any Rockstar Game
Neither can I. That's why I said: Get somebody from the US to gift it to you. Just pay them through paypal.

Danj

Still hoping to persuade my mum to buy me the Squenix pack for Christmas, so I'm holding off on JC2 at the moment. Already own Recettear. AC2 still not cheap enough for me (was hoping for 75%).

iamtheb

gotee12 said:
Railworks 2 is awesome, if you like the "lazy Sunday afternoon" type of game. I "traded in my pew pews for choo choos" a few weeks ago when I bought it at $20 and haven't regretted it. Though I do have some weird graphical hitches with my HD 6850. But I'm sure they'll be worked out with a future patch. The problems don't inhibit a very relaxing train sim...

:lol That should totally be the game's tagline.

Double D

Just Cause 2 should be owned by anyone who enjoys fun and has a decent rig. I'm usually a "story mission only" kind of guy, but I can get lost for hours at a time just parachuting around this world.

Artofwar420

YuriLowell said:
184 steam games.

God something is wrong with me.

It just means you're a great bargain hunter. Maybe? I'm clocking in at 138 games and I'd say I got most of those during sales like this one. Except for games I just couldn't wait to play like New Vegas and Civ V.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Geez, I got Steam'd on Clones. But buying a gift copy at the cheaper price made me feel better about it, for some reason. I expect the same to happen with Swords and Soldiers. I guess I should have followed the Steam holiday sales rule and waited for a daily or the last day.

Jzero

Gaf, HALP!

I bought Dirt 2 a while ago, and finally decided to play it and when i launched it it gave me this screen. WTF?! can anyone help me with this? I know my computer meets at least the minimum requirements. it doesnt even show why its fucked up just the big red X

Dirt.png

dream

1-D_FTW said:
Seems that's the consensus. Trials HD seemed to have analog support for the controller and was built with it in mind. Trials 2 is a quality game, it's just rage inducing hard. If you're a mortal, you'll eventually delete from your hard drive because you'll be disgusted you just reset a level 75 times trying to clear a jump. You'll ask yourself WTF am I doing? Why am I playing this. And proceed to play more. Eventually deletion is your only salvation. It's incredibly addictive, just mercilessly hard. And not in a very satisfying way. More of a FU way.

sigh. On one hand, who has time for something like that? On the other hand, it's $2.50...

Petrie

Banned
Grabbed DoD:S and Trials to fill out my new Steam collection. Recettear sounds really interesting but I've heard nothing about it, could anyone give me some input if it's worth the price or even compare it to something similar I might have played?

Double D

1-D_FTW said:
Never have I read a more accurate synopsis.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm on the fence about Modern Warfare. I never played it, outside of a few rounds of the multiplayer. Kinda curious about how good the single player is, since that's literally all I would be playing.

Baha

Petrie said:
Grabbed DoD:S and Trials to fill out my new Steam collection. Recettear sounds really interesting but I've heard nothing about it, could anyone give me some input if it's worth the price or even compare it to something similar I might have played?

Download the demo for it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Chacranajxy said:
I'm on the fence about Modern Warfare. I never played it, outside of a few rounds of the multiplayer. Kinda curious about how good the single player is, since that's literally all I would be playing.
Single player was good, but 15$ can get you so much more during a Steam Holiday Sale.

kinggroin

Banned
So far:

Super Meat Boy x 2 (1 for a friend)
Guardian of Light x 2 (1 for a friend)
Bad Company 2
Aliens vs Predator

Can't wait for tomorrow!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Lyphen said:
Single player was good, but 15$ can get you so much more during a Steam Holiday Sale.

Well I'm sure as not shit buying that Reccattear nonsense. I'd rather eat a bowl full of human dicks.

And I don't want to do that at all!

pirata

Chacranajxy said:

From the little I've played of it, I regret buying it at $15. The game plays itself for you. It's more like an interactive movie than a game. If you like military shit, then maybe you'd enjoy it.

EDIT: On second thought, go out and spend that money on a nice, steaming bowl of dicks.

bm1616

Weenerz said:
I'm at work, can someone post a list of what games went on sale today and for what prices? Thanks in advance :D

Aliens vs. Predator: $5.00 / 75% off
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale: $6.80 / 66% off
Zuma's Revenge!: $8.00 / 60% off
Trials 2: Second Edition: $2.50 / 75% off
SPORE: $7.50 / 75% off
Railworks 2: $6.00 / 85% off
Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack: $17.49 / 50% off
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare: $14.99 / 50% off
Assassin's Creed 2: $14.99 / 50% off
Just Cause 2: $7.50 / 75% off
Day of Defeat: Source: $2.50 / 75% off
Bully: Scholarship Edition: $3.75 / 75% off

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
dream said:
Trials 2 is significantly worse than Trials HD, right?
No, but it's less polished and less forgiving. It forces you to master the fundamentals, but once you do you'll be doing unreal maneuvers almost by instinct. By the end I was able to beat the last level without timing out and being forced to do it over. Trials HD wasn't frustrating at all for me because of my Trials 2 skills.

1-D_FTW said:
It's challenging, but it's nowhere near SMB's "I Wanna be the Guy" level of difficulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom