• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jzero15 said:
Gaf, HALP!

I bought Dirt 2 a while ago, and finally decided to play it and when i launched it it gave me this screen. WTF?! can anyone help me with this? I know my computer meets at least the minimum requirements. it doesnt even show why its fucked up just the big red X

Dirt.png

I think this is the same problem I had with the demo. If it is then it's a common problem. I found the solution in the steam forums but damned if I can remember what it was.

Railworks is tempting too, but I don't know if I can enjoy just building the setting and driving the train without some sort of sim element (or Minecraft's approach of letting you kill zombies maybe). Perhaps I'm just too American and not used to riding trains beyond ugly city mass transit.

clav

Jzero15 said:
Gaf, HALP!

I bought Dirt 2 a while ago, and finally decided to play it and when i launched it it gave me this screen. WTF?! can anyone help me with this? I know my computer meets at least the minimum requirements. it doesnt even show why its fucked up just the big red X

Dirt.png
Seems like the game requires games for windows live to be installed.

If already is, uninstall it and download the one from MS's website.

That's what the forums say.

epmode

I'd have bought Assassin's Creed 2 at full price if it wasn't for the DRM. And I'm still not buying, even at $12. Fail.

Weenerz said:
I'm at work, can someone post a list of what games went on sale today and for what prices? Thanks in advance :D
Aliens vs Predator $5

Trials 2: Second Edition $2.50

Just Cause2 $7.50

Tales of Monkey Island Complete pack $17.49

Day of Defeat $2.50

RailWorks2 $6

Zuma's Revenge! $8

CoD4 MW $14.99

AssCreed2 $14.99 (if you have AssCreed1 then $12)

Recettear An Item Shop's tale $6.80

Spore Complete Pack $19.99

EDIT: late :lol

sturmdogg said:
Nothing for me today.

Come on Gabe, give me ME1 + ME2 Daily Deals and my money is yours :D
I want the same along with Crysis and Crysis Warhead. Is that asking too much (I'm new to steam sales)

If it's not asking too much I'd also like Civilization V.

Question: I just moved, and my gaming rig is yet unpacked. Probably will be for another week or so. Is it possible for me to log onto Steam through another computer, buy some shit, and then download it later when I get the rig back in action?

Jin34

What would happen with Assasin's Creed 2 if say you have a wifi connection to the pc and when ppl use the microwave it becomes unstable to the point you can't browse the web until the microwave finishes?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Lumine said:
What's the DRM with AC2? I'm about to cross this off my list and just wait 'till I have played AC1 first and maybe when it's on a cheaper sale.

I'll probably just go ahead with bully and just cause 2.
3rd-party DRM: Ubisoft’s Online Services Platform. Ubisoft requires a permanent Internet connection to play this video game at all times.

If your internet connection is interrupted at any point while playing, the game will kick you out and wont let you resume until your internet connection is back up.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Petrie said:
Grabbed DoD:S and Trials to fill out my new Steam collection. Recettear sounds really interesting but I've heard nothing about it, could anyone give me some input if it's worth the price or even compare it to something similar I might have played?

Yea, first of all, get. Second, it's a management sim type game set in a JRPG. I tend not to like either of those genres on the whole yet I was addicted to it for weeks. (Then I couldn't beat the last pay date without restarting and I kinda gave up and went back to TF2.) Main game is kinda brief but then it gets open-ended, and either way it's really addictive.

What I would buy (if I didn't already own them all):

Just Cause 2
Bully
Modern Warfare
Recettear
Tales of Monkey Island
Trials 2 (maybe, it's fun, but really frustrating)

Killthee said:
If your internet connection is interrupted at any point while playing, the game will kick you out and wont let you resume until your internet connection is back up.

Does it close the game entirely, or just pause it until your internet connection is back up? I have a crappy wi-fi connection on my desktop, and I often lose my connection for a minute or two, and I think I can handle the occasional interruption, but not constantly having to relaunch the game.

ColonelColon said:
Tales of Monkey Island Complete for $17 isn't much of a deal at this point, honestly. I've seen it sell for as low as $5.

Yea, I thought for sure I paid like $5 for it a while ago.

Same with Recettear in that pack a month ago.

Volcynika

Diomedeskun said:
Does it close the game entirely, or just pause it until your internet connection is back up? I have a crappy wi-fi connection on my desktop, and I often lose my connection for a minute or two, and I think I can handle the occasional interruption, but not constantly having to relaunch the game.

Pauses it. At least it did for SC: Conviction for me.

ColonelColon said:
Tales of Monkey Island Complete for $17 isn't much of a deal at this point, honestly. I've seen it sell for as low as $5.

Telltale has done tons of deals for their games, and if you don't care about getting it on steam, I would wait, but it is an awesome game and everyone should play it. At the very least, you can rely on a great deal next fall on Talk like a pirate day.

DangerStepp

EF YEAH!!! BULLY Scholarship Edition!! I was looking at this last night and hoping that it dropped!!!!!

I have it on PS2, but I'm double dipping!!!!

BOUGHT!!!!!!!

littleworm said:
Are the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games worth 10$ a piece?

They certainly are, but you should wait for the last day of the sale to see if they ever go for a daily deal. They might have a STALKER bundle for $15-$20 or something. I know for sure the original has been on sale for like $5

Moral of the story: Wait til the last day for individual games that are not daily deals.

Loxley

Well, knowing I'm not going to buy anything else today, here's the haul so far:

~ Defense Grid
~ Tomb Raider: Anniversary
~ Call of Duty 4
~ Team Fortress 2
~ Future Wars
~ Serious Sam HD: First Encounter

I'm making it a point this year to not buy game bundles unless I know for fact I will play every game it comes with, my old steam library was cluttered with shit I'd never play. I've shown a lot of restraint this year :D

AvP is very tempting at that price...but that seems like a game I'd prefer to play on my PS3...hmmm

DJ_Lae

I'm kind of tempted by Railworks, and I don't really know why.

I'll probably buy it, and I feel dirty about that.

Javaman

Diomedeskun said:
Telltale has done tons of deals for their games, and if you don't care about getting it on steam, I would wait, but it is an awesome game and everyone should play it. At the very least, you can rely on a great deal next fall on Talk like a pirate day.

IIRC they had their entire catalog for $50 on steam last xmas sale. Doesn't seem to be the case this time unless they are waiting for a daily deal.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Karram said:
PayPal is also not available in my region. :lol
Then gift some game of approximate value back to whoever helps you?

Or better yet, move the fuck out of that hellhole... :lol

Eduit: Isn't Paypal available everywhere, as long as you have a International Credit Card? I'm sure Bank integration is not available on most of the countries, but still...

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Only Trials 2 for me today. The only other games to tempt me were Bully and Railworks, aside from that I own pretty much all of the games on sale today already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom