• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

webrunner

SpaceDrake said:
I'm actually going to be going for that deal on Modern Warfare since I haven't actually played it yet; if nothing else, it's such an influential force in the industry at this point that I figure I should pick it up for research purposes, if nothing else.

Also am I the only one who skipped out on Super Meat Boy's deal because I wanted to pay more for it, or am I just strange like that :x

I may also pick up Spore but my backlog is getting pretty epic at this point.

Hey, out of curiosity, I assume the pre-holiday sale bundle thing went well given that you're up for sale again today, right?

1-D_FTW

Wellington said:
Hey stupid question, I am running out of space on the hard drive I have Steam installed, is it possible to switch the directory where the games are downloaded to? I was going through some of the options in the Steam front end and didn't see it.

If not, is there a workaround for it? (deleting Steam and reinstalling it to other drive/partition)

I transferred my entire folder over to my new hard drive yesterday. Kept the old folder in place just in case the new drive craps out in the first week. All I did was right-click properties on my Steam icon in the start menu and change the drive from E: to G:. Works perfect now (even though I kept the old folder and that's the old thing I changed).

Karram

drizzle said:
Then gift some game of approximate value back to whoever helps you?

Or better yet, move the fuck out of that hellhole... :lol

Eduit: Isn't Paypal available everywhere, as long as you have a International Credit Card? I'm sure Bank integration is not available on most of the countries, but still...
rbenchley was generous enough to gift to me for free. Great dude.

I believe PayPal is banned by the Government it self. I'll be leaving this shithole very soon though.

Pimpbaa said:
How much do the expansions for Spore improve upon the core game (which I thought was disappointing).

I am curious about this as well. Don't have the core game, not sure if I should jump if I'd be skipping the expansion until the next sale.

Pimpbaa said:
How much do the expansions for Spore improve upon the core game (which I thought was disappointing).
Creepy and Cute doesn't add any new gameplay elements. It only adds new parts for creatures.

Galactic Adventures basically lets you edit and play custom scenarios that work exactly like creature stage.

So if you liked creature stage, and wanted it to continue on into Space stage, that's what Galactic Adventures does. The community missions I've played, though, some of them could pass as levels from decent games. The community has been really clever with Adventures, and has created lots of "mini" games like tower defense and zombie survival using Galactic Adventures pretty bulky tools. Compared to the simple creators found in Spore, the Adventure creator is a whole new beast, and is very complicated if you get into the deep customization.

(._.)

Banned
Sale hasn't really hurt my wallet much so far. GoG sale, this sale, and the new TF2 update though all combined has though. Honestly, I really need to never buy any of the new TF2 items. Waiting for those weapons to drop though can take forever and I don't want to take the energy to go find somebody to trade with. Chances are they'll piss me off.

Kodiak said:
Tempted to buy just cause 2 but wary because of upcoming travel expenses and probably never getting around to play it.

But...

Humble Indie Bundle 2 for the mother fucking win!

I dont see this bundle in steam, am i missing something?

stuminus3

Are the Spore expansions separate games or do they automatically appear in the base game if you've got them installed? Thought it was odd that Creepy and Cute gets it's own listing in my Steam library. Do they all launch the same game?

amrod said:
JC2 .. anyone else find the whole graphing hook thing buggy (using xbox 360 controller)

It took me quite some time to learn to use properly and I had no idea how to use it at first, but it works really well once you figure it out.

Hitmeneer

Nooooooo, I forgot about 'The Witcher' and now I am to late :( . I hope 'The Witcher' was one of the top-sales and they will put it up again at the last day :(.

webrunner said:
Hey, out of curiosity, I assume the pre-holiday sale bundle thing went well given that you're up for sale again today, right?

It did... okay for us. Numbers-wise it was actually pretty impressive but our "cut" of the game was discounted a bit more heavily than would have been ideal. This one is, admittedly, a bit of an experiment for us to see how well the game does as a sale on its own.

So far? No complaints. :D

stuminus3 said:
Are the Spore expansions separate games or do they automatically appear in the base game if you've got them installed? Thought it was odd that Creepy and Cute gets it's own listing in my Steam library. Do they all launch the same game?
I don't have the Steam version, but I know for the regular version, you have to actually use the latest expansion for any of them to work.

Just clicking C and C for example, won't activate GA, but running GA also runs C and C. So you can play vanilla Spore using the original EXE (if you were so inclined I guess).

So if you have any expansion, use the most recent, in this case, Galactic Adventures would be the most recent.

You'll know you have CC working if there's a page 2 for your creature creator tabs, and you'll know GA is working because Spore will actually tell you, and the adventure icon will glow and pulsate until you do the tutorial.

stuminus3

balladofwindfishes said:
So if you have any expansion, use the most recent, in this case, Galactic Adventures would be the most recent.
Thanks!

Steam can be a little confusing when it comes to how expansion packs work with some games. Sometimes you can't even download stuff separately (eg F.E.A.R).

Lkr

I might bite on Bully seeing as I have bought nothing yet and it is the only thing appealing to me, but what is this fps cap at 30fps?

Erebus

Does Bully support the X360 controller for PC? I remember playing it on PS2 and having a blast back in the day. Furthermore, I'm debating whether or not to buy Just Cause 2 to test how it performs with my new GTX 460. :lol

Also how is Trials 2 compared to Trials HD?

EDIT: Never mind on Bully. Steam description mentions X360 controller support. :D

Lkr said:
I might bite on Bully seeing as I have bought nothing yet and it is the only thing appealing to me, but what is this fps cap at 30fps?
I still have it in my cart as well. I'd like to see this cleared up.

I'd be okay with this as long as it can stay locked at a steady 30 frames.

dream

I <3 Memes said:
Bully is maybe kind of tempting. How big is the gameworld? How is the gameplay? How well does it play with a mouse&KB?

Not well. You really want a gamepad.

Great game though.

epmode

Lkr said:
There's a cap and I don't think there's a way to remove it. I'd never pay full price for something like this but it's still better than the console versions. ..not to mention far better than Stranger's Wrath.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Well I caved on Assassins Creed 2, the extra discount plus the 'deluxe' DLC, which includes some places I have actually been, won over my reservations on the DRM. It better be as much of an improvement over AC1 as people have been saying, because that was a big let down.

Zachack

I <3 Memes said:
Bully is maybe kind of tempting. How big is the gameworld? How is the gameplay? How well does it play with a mouse&KB?
World is a school and nearby town. It's not huge but you're on foot/bike and it's pretty content-loaded soooo... it's sufficient?

Gameplay is like GTA but non-murderous. There are more minigames and IMO variety, partly because there aren't cars to define a lot of gameplay concepts like in GTA.

Get a gamepad. It's a great game. Whining about a 30 fps cap is stupid because that's a perfectly playable framerate and waaaaaaay beyond what we got on the PS2.

Shaneus

(._.) said:
Tempted to get Just Cause 2 but I think I'm going to save my money
Oh for fuck's sake, really. I've been relatively tolerant of people in the past who were debating getting JC2 but now I'm just pissed off. How many people need to post how awesome it is before we stop seeing posts like this? It's $7.50 and one of the best sandbox games ever. What more convincing do you need?

Fucking hell :/

I know it's not a daily deal but how much is the Borderlands GOTY edition in America? It's 25% off here but still costs £30, which is a disgrace.

Really hoping it will be a daily deal.

Wallach

Baloonatic said:
I know it's not a daily deal but how much is the Borderlands GOTY edition in America? It's 25% off here but still costs £30, which is a disgrace.

Really hoping it will be a daily deal.

It's $13.39 in the NA store. Strangely enough the 4-pack is not discounted so that is actually more expensive per copy...

Edit - Oh, you meant GotY version. That is actually still $49.99 in the NA store, so it would be cheaper to get the base game and the DLC pack than the GotY version.

Wallach said:
It's $13.39 in the NA store. Strangely enough the 4-pack is not discounted so that is actually more expensive per copy...

Edit - Oh, you meant GotY version. That is actually still $49.99 in the NA store, so it would be cheaper to get the base game and the DLC pack than the GotY version.

Oh alright, thanks. I'll just wait it out then.

ashbash159 said:
What ONE game would you recommend me to get today?
(Apart from Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare & Assassin's Creed II.)

Just Cause 2 is the most awesome destruction ever in a sandbox game. I have not played the PC version only the console version at a friends so I cant comment on the quality or graphics of the PC version. But I can tell you that there really is no game that is as much fun as JC2. Has tanks, apache helicopters, gun boats, and even fighter jets.

Really really huge gameworld with a lot of destructibility.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Just Trials 2 and AvP today for me. Already own almost everything else.

Total so far:

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Trials 2: Second Edition
Zombie Driver
Aliens vs. Predator
Burn Zombie Burn
FEAR + expansions
FEAR 2
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
The Path
The Void
Prince of Persia 2008
Prince: The Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Puzzle Quest
The Scourge Project
Super Meat Boy

Cost to me: £34.99. That's the same price I paid for GT5. For all that. What the fuck.

Just wanted to say, great haul overall but god damn THIS GAME is wild. I love it so much...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just Cause 2 + Flying, grapple, cloud, and unlimited ammo mods = Completely amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom