• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreohboy

Shaneus said:
I think the JC2 OT needs to be stickied and given the title "Just Cause 2 |OT| of Just Fucking Buy the Game Already".

As great as the price for JC2 is, I can't seem to get around what everyone says about the stupid game AI.

MoFuzz

Shaneus said:
I think the JC2 OT needs to be stickied and given the title "Just Cause 2 |OT| of Just Fucking Buy the Game Already".
I downloaded the 360 demo back when it first came out since everyone on GAF had such a boner for it. Just wanted to see what the fuss was about.

I was sold on it after about 3 minutes :lol

dream

Dreohboy said:
As great as the price for JC2 is, I can't seem to get around what everyone says about the stupid game AI.

It doesn't really matter what the AI does when you're skydiving from a mile up and blowing up entire military bases, though. Shit is just fun.

Ceebs

Dreohboy said:
The AI is not there to pose a challenge. It's there to be cannon fodder for the Jumbo jet you are surfing into their face.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
dream said:
It doesn't really matter what the AI does when you're skydiving from a mile up and blowing up entire military bases, though. Shit is just fun.

www.totalvideogames.com_67738_JC2_Console_Jan09_002%20copy%20copy.jpg

MoFuzz

Dreohboy said:
I'm racking my brain for the one open world/sand box game that actually impressed me in terms of AI...

Yeahhh......not happening.

ZZMitch

Bought Bully and Trials 2!

Thinking about Assassin's Creed 2... even though I beat it on Xbox before I sold it a while back...

Should I be playing Bully and Just Cause 2 (bought a few months ago) with a gamepad?

Ceebs

ZZMitch said:
Bought Bully and Trials 2!

Thinking about Assassin's Creed 2... even though I beat it on Xbox before I sold it a while back...

Should I be playing Bully and Just Cause 2 (bought a few months ago) with a gamepad?
I preferred to play JC2 with both. I would use M/KB while on foot and switch to a gamepad when I got in a vehicle. It's easier to do crazy things with your grapple with mouse aim.

ZZMitch

Ceebs said:
I preferred to play JC2 with both. I would use M/KB while on foot and switch to a gamepad when I got in a vehicle. It's easier to do crazy things with your grapple with mouse aim.

Is it easy to switch between the two like that? I have never used an xbox 360 gamepad with my PC before

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
ZZMitch said:
Personally I'd say yes. I tend to prefer to play anything that isn't a puzzle/strategy, FPS, or RTS with a pad.

Redownloading the JC2 demo to see how it performs. I remember it not running all too well on my system last time I tried it, but there's been a few driver releases since then...

Ceebs

ZZMitch said:
Is it easy to switch between the two like that? I have never used an xbox 360 gamepad with my PC before
On the fly switching. I just kept the pad in my lap and when I got in a car I pick it up and the second you press anything all the prompts switch to the 360 icons.

ZZMitch

Ceebs said:
On the fly switching. I just kept the pad in my lap and when I got in a car I pick it up and the second you press anything all the prompts switch to the 360 icons.

Oh ok, that is pretty awesome. I should be getting a gamepad for Christmas so I will give that a go!

ZZMitch said:

Gears of War works just like that on PC. The switch between keyboard/mouse and controller is instant.

Nekobo

You guys just sold me on Just Cause 2. Hope this runs well on my PC.

The damage so far:

PB Winterbottom
Shattered Union
Super Meat Boy
Indie Beat Pack
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Polynomial
Just Cause 2

All this for under $25! This is my first year participating and I'm satisfied so far. :) To put things in perspective, I only had three games on Steam (free Portal, Psychonauts, and Geometry Wars) a month ago. Today? About 45 games. :lol

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I bought the game during the thanksgiving sale, but what of th eDLC for JC2? How is it? :lol

Lkr

I'm not sure about JC2, mainly because of my system. I am running:
Phenom II x4(unlocked x3 720) at 3GHz
GeForce GTS 250
4gb ddr3-1333

I am not sure if this will be good enough to get the best out of what JC2 has to offer.

Railworks 2 is also strangely kinda appealing to me. I used to have fun with those Bus Driver simulator games, so maybe this will be fun? Anyone played it, and what do you think of it?

Sanjay

Does the UK version of Assassin's Creed II come with everything? there seems to be no other version available unlike the US store which has two options, Assassin's Creed II/Assassin's Creed II: Deluxe Edition. I don't want to miss out on the three maps: Palazzo Medici, Santa Maria Dei Frari, and the Arsenal Shipyard.

Lkr

wayward archer said:
Hmm how would Just Cause 2 run on a Nvidia GT 330?
I just found out that there is a demo on steam(which I am downloading right now), so go ahead and give that a shot.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Lkr said:
Railworks 2 is also strangely kinda appealing to me. I used to have fun with those Bus Driver simulator games, so maybe this will be fun? Anyone played it, and what do you think of it?

It's wonderful. You'll love it. BUY THAT SHIT, get a train boner!

MoFuzz

mantidor and Lkr, you guys are both fine with slightly reduced setings. For AvP, leave the fancy DX11 effects off, including Ambient Occlusion and roll with mid settings. Run in DX10 mode for better performance.

Just Cause 2 in particular is well optimized for low to high end rigs. Quoting myself from the Treasure hunt thread:
MoFuzz said:
Reposting this for a new page since I still see people complaining about Just Cause 2 performance.

Tweak guide - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20453907&postcount=1014
Approximate console equivalent settings - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20453393&postcount=1002
Additional command line options - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20403913&postcount=222

Using the suggestions in the 1st link, I'm mostly getting 60+ FPS at 1920x1200 on a GTX 275.

Lkr

Sunflower said:
It's wonderful. You'll love it. BUY THAT SHIT, get a train boner!
damn it, now I'm going to buy it :(
its not hard is it?

also, thanks for the links mofuzz, i will look into those

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
zombieshavebrains said:
Not trying to pick a fight but i thought you were an staunch advocate of not buying DRM games in the steam thread.
I am a staunch advocate against install limits DRM. I have a solid net connection so I don't care about Ubi's DRM. What I do care about is that my Crysis cd-key can't get activations returned automatically so now I have to go through EA support to get an activation every time.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
How do I reset my age restriction thing for entering certain pages? I accidentally put the wrong date 2-3 days ago and still cant actually go into those pages :lol

UrbanRats

Corran Horn said:
How do I reset my age restriction thing for entering certain pages? I accidentally put the wrong date 2-3 days ago and still cant actually go into those pages :lol
exit steam.
Oh wait, from the browser? It might be a cookie problem then?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Steam Browser or Normal Browser? If it is the normal one, clear the cookies for the site, it is steam, uh... I don't know.

Lkr

Yasser said:
honestly, for £1.50, i just want to know it's still fun and somewhat accessible for new players
It is very accessible imo. I don't think you can go wrong at the price.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm not able to get on Steam at the moment, how much in $ is JC2?

Let me know if Mass Effect 2 goes on sale! I already beat it on the 360 but I'd be willing to play the PC version to play as Femshep.

ZZMitch

Yasser said:
honestly, for £1.50, i just want to know it's still fun and somewhat accessible for new players

I picked it up a month or so ago on a midweek deal and I was going positive and doing pretty well after a few matches. Much more accessible then say, Counter Strike, imo.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Yasser said:
Yup, definitely. DoD: Source is probably the friendliest community for a Valve game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom