• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jokey665

Jive Turkey said:
You ever play with a model train set and wish you could sit inside the engine too? That's Railworks.
Okay yeah, I think I'll get it then. Do any of the DLC stand out as being really good bang for your buck? I'm not exactly interested in extra trains but extra routes or w/e could be neat.

Stumpokapow said:
Bully is the best open world game ever made. Excellent level design, a wide variety of missions and activities, good difficulty curve, KILLER bass-heavy music, really memorable town area, not as much playtime as never-enders like San Andreas but more than most games, and a really funny cheeky humour to it. A++++++++ would recommend again and again.

Ugggghhhhhhhhhhhhghhhhhhhhhhh.

I wasn't going to buy it. But now I am. Fuck you so much.

WillyFive

Jokey665 said:
What I want to know is: What the hell is Railworks, anyway? I just know it's a train sim and it gets talked about so much I'm curious and that makes me kind of want to buy it. :lol

Imagine Gran Turismo. With trains.

trinest

Blast Processing said:
I bought a bunch on Monday, then nothing yesterday, but I think I'm going to have to pick up the Spore base game for $7.50. I'm too curious about it, and the price has stayed at $30 forever, now.
How much is the full pack in America? Would you be interested in gifting?

Ah using that ?=us thing from the main page it seems its $20 as well? With UK not even having a page on the main site for spore :/

I already downloaded Defense grid, Prince of Persia: Sands of time and I am in the process of finishing Machinarium.

I expect great things from every one of these games.
speculawyer said:
Yeah lock-outs happen a lot with Steam. Put in a request to support to resolve the issue. Don't do a charge back.

Advice: Buy a $100 (or $50) for your steam wallet on your credit card. Then make purchases off that. That way you don't have this endless stream of little $2, $10, $9.99, $4.99 purchases from Steam on your credit card that may cause your credit card company to panic and start declining.
I just wanted to quote this again for emphasis. I've been buying games day and night and I'm surprised that my credit card has not been frozen yet.

I'll be making use of this wallet from now on.

Blizzard

Banned
Jokey665 said:
Okay. I haven't bought anything today and the only thing I'm really even considering is Railworks (already have just cause and recettear).

What I want to know is: What the hell is Railworks, anyway? I just know it's a train sim and it gets talked about so much I'm curious and that makes me kind of want to buy it. :lol
It's a train simulator. There's actually some free fan content apparently. You sit in a train and speed up and slow down, or else you derail. :p

I actually bought it (though I'm not getting the DLC) partly because it looks sort of nice graphically, though not super impressive, and partly because I thought it was awesome how the company gave the new Railworks 2 for free to everyone who owned the original game. Nice way to keep your customers happy, hopefully.

Fredescu

Willy105 said:
Anyway, what I mean is GT is a driving sim. Railworks is a train sim.
GT is a console game with the requisite leveling and unlocking mechanism to keep the kids coming back. In Railworks you drive trains. Sometimes a mission goes for three hours. At the end of those three hours you get nothing other than satisfaction. I really don't think the two games are comparable at all.

Maccas

Did the people recommending Bully play it on PC? I've heard some bad things about the porting job, have these issues been fixed?

Edit: Answered two pages back, it is good apparently.

Ceebs

Blizzard said:
It's a train simulator. There's actually some free fan content apparently. You sit in a train and speed up and slow down, or else you derail. :p

I actually bought it (though I'm not getting the DLC) partly because it looks sort of nice graphically, though not super impressive, and partly because I thought it was awesome how the company gave the new Railworks 2 for free to everyone who owned the original game. Nice way to keep your customers happy, hopefully.
While a great gesture, I am sure the main motive was to keep all their customers on the same platform for the DLC.

Blizzard

Banned
Also, for anyone comparing model train sets, I'm not actually sure if there's an easy way to create your own worlds and train tracks. Anyone with more experience with this want to speak up?

trinest

Fredescu said:
GT is a console game with the requisite leveling and unlocking mechanism to keep the kids coming back. In Railworks you drive trains. Sometimes a mission goes for three hours. At the end of those three hours you get nothing other than satisfaction. I really don't think the two games are comparable at all.
So if you like driving the train in Zelda you will like this?

With the customization I assume its kind of like Sim City but with Trains?

Fredescu

Blizzard said:
Also, for anyone comparing model train sets, I'm not actually sure if there's an easy way to create your own worlds and train tracks. Anyone with more experience with this want to speak up?
Given that there's a tonne of free fan made stuff, I'd have to assume there is.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Blizzard said:
Railworks has a pretty kickass world editor.
You can do absolutely everything you want to.

Yes... even Chickens!

Blizzard

Banned
trinest said:

Not sure about Sim City -- Fersis, is there a way for you to just play a train manager and schedule trains or something? If not, you probably want some game like Railroad Tycoon I'm guessing.

Picked up Spore and Railworks, which were both on my "buy when they're cheap" list.

Fredescu said:
Given that there's a tonne of free fan made stuff, I'd have to assume there is.
Looks like there's some sort of built in scenario editor, but I'm not sure how complicated it is to use.

Well...After they initially advertised ACII as mac+pc on steam, I just got my refund after they updated the image to take off the Mac+PC banner. So good on steam.

Apparently, in the Mail I got, this is a one time "goodwill" refund, as steam refunds are usually not re-fundable. I hope that's their corporate speak for "this game was incorrectly advertised so we'll re-fund it", not a "we've done nothing wrong, but this one time we'll refund your money".

Gutted, Was looking forward to ACII on my macbook pro! :-(

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
You did it Dizzy, now everyone is buying Railworks !!

* COD MW2 shakes in fear *

Fjolle

Fersis said:
Railworks has a pretty kickass world editor.
You can do absolutely everything you want to.

Yes... even Chickens!
SOLD!

There's a video on the store page where they build a pretty impressive world in one hour.

Railworks in the top ten for being sold. Train haters gonna hate and take the bus.

Blizzard said:
I got this game a few months ago and someone posted a link to free add-ons for the game. If you do not want to mess with the world editor, there are quite a few of user created track layouts out there.

Dipswitch

Maccas said:
Did the people recommending Bully play it on PC? I've heard some bad things about the porting job, have these issues been fixed?

Edit: Answered two pages back, it is good apparently.

I'll confirm it runs great. Played through it a few months back and thoroughly enjoyed it. Killer soundtrack too.

Stumpokapow said:
Bully is the best open world game ever made. Excellent level design, a wide variety of missions and activities, good difficulty curve, KILLER bass-heavy music, really memorable town area, not as much playtime as never-enders like San Andreas but more than most games, and a really funny cheeky humour to it. A++++++++ would recommend again and again.

You convinced me but I dont have a controller right now. Will buy it eventually now though.

For $5, Alien Vs. Predator isn't a bad deal. The single player is kind of mediocre, but the multiplayer was pretty fun and unique. I don't know what the servers would be like now though or if anyone still plays it regularly.

1-D_FTW

Well as long as I bought Bully, went to go look at the Winterbottom game. It sounded like a text adventure featuring a spanko.:lol Didn't realize it was a platformer. So I just bought that too. And since I had one person on my friend's list who had it on his wishlist, I had to gift it out. You can't have a .49 cent game on your wishlist.

hamchan

Was going to impulse buy AvP at $10 then I found it it's $5 in the US store. Then I realized I'm probably not going to play it or enjoy it if I do. So now I won't buy it anywhere.

Ceebs

trinest said:

It's a straight sim. It's more interesting than fun I would say. Spend some time with it and you will learn what goes into driving a train. Everything from braking distances with cargo, all the various switches and junctions on a track, and the differences between various types of engines.

trinest

AceBandage said:
Spore... Worth getting at the price it's at?
The game was high on my list before it came out.
Its a unique game- its enjoyable through the stages but in my mind its go replability.

snack

What games did you guys buy for today's sale? Only thing that really caught my eye was Trials 2. For those that have it, what do you thing of it?

trinest

snack said:
What games did you guys buy for today's sale? Only thing that really caught my eye was Trials 2. For those that have it, what do you thing of it?
Picked up Day of Defeat, Clones, Railworks 2 and Spore + Spore Expansion

MNC

Railworks... I just wanna buy it just for the heck of it. Trains are fun. But I shouldn't... No... It's not impulse pricd....

Loxley

snack said:

Even though it was about $7 too expensive (it's Activision so I wasn't surprised), I picked up CoD4 since I'm sort of in the middle rebuilding my Steam library and there are still tons of people playing the PC version.

Nothing for me so far. I'm probably getting Winterbottom, but that's not part of today's sale. Maybe Recettear? I'll have to think about it.

The Lara Croft game is reaaaaaaaaally good, guys. Seriously, one of the first games in a long time that nails gameplay perfectlly and backs it up impressively in terms of visuals and sound, too. Incredible.

I am in love with Super Meat Boy and VVVVVVV too. God, what a nice Christmas! :)

McNum

speculawyer said:
Yeah lock-outs happen a lot with Steam. Put in a request to support to resolve the issue. Don't do a charge back.

Advice: Buy a $100 (or $50) for your steam wallet on your credit card. Then make purchases off that. That way you don't have this endless stream of little $2, $10, $9.99, $4.99 purchases from Steam on your credit card that may cause your credit card company to panic and start declining.
Wait, you can do that now? When did that happen? Thanks for the tip!

- PB Winterbottom ($0.49)
- MLB 2K10 ($1.99)
- Super Meat Boy ($3.75)
- The Polynomial ($2.50)
- Bully: Scholarship Edition ($3.75)

Total losses so far: $12.48

Not bad. That's acceptable. It's gonna be bad by the end, though.

Nabs

McNum said:
Wait, you can do that now? When did that happen? Thanks for the tip!
Yeah, just click on your username at the top of your steam client or website. You'll have the option right there on the right. I bought a nice chunk an hour or two before the sales, and have been having a pretty smooth ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom