• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fewr

jaundicejuice said:
Hmm, second day in a row that there's nothing appealing to me. I think it's getting to the point that, outside of new releases, I own most everything I'm interested in owning on Steam.
???

What are you talking about? We're not even halfway through the sales period. Stop drowning in a glass of water.

There is only one game that can make this Steam sale a great one for me:

5284838258_b4f2a3c30b_z.jpg

Nothing else will suffice.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Somnid said:
My girlfriend just bought Civ 4 on Steam but for some reason the game and expansion packs appear twice in her library. Anyone got an idea on how to fix this?
I personally have my library show only installed games so that's another way around it.

Bloodlines would really make the sale for me, too. I would love an excuse to buy it again, and it would be awesome to see so many people pick it up for the first time. That or the Age of Wonders bundle.

I sent an e-mail off to customer service about the Civ 4 clone issue several months ago and was just told they were working on it...not too hard I guess! ;)

shintoki said:
So how is Clones? I don't see any discussion on the Indie deal of the week and curious, (Downloading demo now heh)

Wait, deal of the week, as in the 75% off price won't last through the end of the sale? I'm curious about this one as well...looks good...anybody played it?

Davedough

This sale couldn't have happened at a better time. I finally got a PC worthy of playing modern games, had a zero Steam library on December 6th and now I've got a nice start of a collection for less than the price of a full game. BJs on me Gabe, you've made my holiday. =)

I've still got $21 in my budget for this sale, I cant wait to see whats on sale tomorrow.

slidewinder said:
It's the indie deal of the day, he meant. So, no: price will go up when tomorrow's deals kick in.

Ah, so what I'm hearing here is that I should buy today if I want it at that price. Thanks!

First time I've noticed that little "Daily Indie Deal" box...did I miss anything good?

Luigiv

On the fence about buying ACII. I have a fairly unstable connection so I need to know; If I crack the game, Steam won't try to "fix it", will it?

Somnid

Fredescu said:
The dupes are the Mac versions I believe. It's always done that and probably always will since it's been around for so long. Your best bet is to create a junk category and put the double ups in there.

Well that's kinda dumb, I figured they collapse it into just one icon or at least hide mac games in the Windows client. I guess I'll try your idea.

echoshifting said:
First time I've noticed that little "Daily Indie Deal" box
Yeah, they really should've worked them in on the front page somehow.
Luigiv said:
On the fence about buying ACII. I have a fairly unstable connection so I need to know; If I crack the game, Steam won't try to "fix it", will it?
You can turn off updating for individual games through the right-click "properties" in Steam, though I don't know if that'll be enough to make a crack work with ACII.

jgkspsx

Thanks, GAF. I've gone to having, like, one game installed on my PC to ten, with another twenty in the backlog. Wonderful.

It's all indie stuff, though, except for Half-Life. Oh, and the Commander Keen complete* collection, but that was indie at the time. Everything was indie then.

* if you consider "missing two games, one of which is the best in the series" complete

Blizzard

Banned
echoshifting said:
Ah, so what I'm hearing here is that I should buy today if I want it at that price. Thanks!

First time I've noticed that little "Daily Indie Deal" box...did I miss anything good?
Where do you even find it? I looked around on the front page and didn't see it.

Luigiv

slidewinder said:
You can turn off updating for individual games through the right-click "properties" in Steam, though I don't know if that'll be enough to make a crack work with ACII.
Hmm, I'm a bit wary about that option tbh. I tried turning off updates for TF2 and it did jack shit.

Ceebs

Class_A_Ninja said:
I just bought Recettear. Should I hold out to buy Dawn of War II? Does anyone think it will go lower than 50% off?
Hold out for DoW. They seem to always be part of these sales.

SolarPowered said:
Does anyone know if Tropico might end up as a daily deal?

Same thing here. I see Tropico 3 on sale pretty often.

John

Luigiv said:
Hmm, I'm a bit wary about that option tbh. I tried turning off updates for TF2 and it did jack shit.
there's always offline mode. that's what i've been doing with pop: fs.

Luigiv

John said:
there's always offline mode. that's what i've been doing with pop: fs.
Fair enough. Come to think of it I just bought PoP:FS the other day too, so I guess I'm going to figure out how to get around their shitty DRM anyway. I wish Ubisoft just stuck to their DRM method of POP 2008 (ie, no DRM). :(

mantidor

Snuggler said:
I just bought a game called Blueberry Garden since it was .99 cents. Has anyone heard of it?

I bought it with an indie pack back in the last year's sale. I found it boring honestly, but well for one dollar!? you really can't complain.

Luigiv

Snuggler said:
I just bought a game called Blueberry Garden since it was .99 cents. Has anyone heard of it?
Yeah, I have it. It's more of an experience then a game, really. I recommend you follow the creators advice and don't play it for too long.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Snuggler said:
Looks like something you'd have to be rrreeeeaallllyyy high to enjoy.

Ceebs

Snuggler said:
It was the IGF grand prize winner a year or two ago. Never tried it myself though.

*Remembers to go check on Monoco's status*

DangerStepp

I'm digging Burnout Paradise so far. It kinda feels lonely at times and the breadth of activities is a limited well of water at the moment, but I find myself having that "just one more time" mentality with every race, road rage, etc.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Looks like something you'd have to be rrreeeeaallllyyy high to enjoy.

Will do.

Thanks for the responses.

Anyways, I have a feeling that tomorrow is gonna own. I'll add maybe $30 or so to my wallet.

I'm hoping for a hot deal on a newer game, Dead Rising 2, Dragon Age Complete and Fallout New Vegas would be perfect for me since I need the PC versions of them. A Mass Effect bundle would also be swell.

I won't be upset if none of those show up tomorrow, though, every update has had at least a few games that are more than worthy of my money.

McNum

And I tripped and bought Just Cause 2. That game looks so very, very stupid. Like the kind of game that was made on the premise of "Wouldn't it be cool if..." Needless to say, at this price, I gotta see for myself.

DaBuddaDa

McNum said:
And I tripped and bought Just Cause 2. That game looks so very, very stupid. Like the kind of game that was made on the premise of "Wouldn't it be cool if..." Needless to say, at this price, I gotta see for myself.
It is mind-bogglingly stupid (and fun)!

dream

McNum said:

Oh, it's absolutely retarded. I think it's easily the most fun I've had with a game all year.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
dream said:
Oh, it's absolutely retarded. I think it's easily the most fun I've had with a game all year.
Get the Super Car mod, you'll be like ":lol :lol This is soooo stupid.... and AWESOME! :lol"

Bii

I'm still undecided on Just Cause 2. I did pull the trigger on Aliens vs Predator, Bully and Railworks 2, though. I own most of the other daily deals but the one that caught my eye was the Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack for $17.49. I'm looking at that price and remember paying less for it a few months back. So I dug up the e-mail receipt and sure enough, I only payed $11.90 back in June 2010. I don't remember what sort of special/sale they were having then but thought that was interesting.

McNum said:
It's a very serious plane surfing simulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom