• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocK`

Banned
Minsc said:
333d3c0.jpg

ok, wtf is that behind the glass? this game has me intrigued. was it on sale recently / did i miss out?

Ledsen

VibratingDonkey said:
Bully runs unwell on my PC, the sound quality is pretty bad, no option for 85hz, you can't change the controls in the main menu and you can't change the video settings in the in-game menu, no mouse control in either of them and you're supposed to be using Left Alt and Space in for some reason.

Guess it was even worse before the patch or something. It's probably still better than the PS2 version though. But is there a way to make it not run at 60hz at least? Because that flickering is bound to give me a headache.

If 60hz gives you a headache, does that mean you can't watch a normal TV either?

CiSTM

Banned
rocK` said:
ok, wtf is that behind the glass? this game has me intrigued. was it on sale recently / did i miss out?

D2D has it for 7.50£ (only UK customers) but so far there hasn't been deal on Steam. Hopefully one will come during these sales.

Safe Bet

Banned
I swore I wouldn't buy anymore games due to my shamefully neglected backlog, but Bully for <$4.00?!?!

DAMN YOU GABE!!!

/shake fist

Cronox

Banned
When it comes to Mass Effect 2 the amount of DLC to buy makes me think it'd simply be better to wait for the GOTY version with everything, which will inevitably go on sale at latest a few months before ME3 comes out. Not like I'm going anywhere til ME3 anyway...

Safe Bet said:
I swore I wouldn't buy anymore games due to my shamefully neglected backlog, but Bully for <$4.00?!?!

DAMN YOU GABE!!!

/shake fist

They got me with that one too. I've never played it, and had never particularly planned to, but I've heard good things and... and... the price!!!

Cronox said:
When it comes to Mass Effect 2 the amount of DLC to buy makes me think it'd simply be better to wait for the GOTY version with everything, which will inevitably go on sale at latest a few months before ME3 comes out. Not like I'm going anywhere til ME3 anyway...

I only have ME1 on PC at present, was planning on picking up ME2 for the PS3 but might double dip if we see a REALLY good ME2 price for existing ME1 owners.

stuminus3

Holy shit is Trials 2 ever hard. The handling feels quite different from Trials HD. I didn't know it was compatible with the 360 controller, that was a pleasant surprise.

Ifrit

Cronox said:

QFT

That's exactly why I'm still not buying ME2, I loved ME1 but I can wait a little longer to play a complete ME2 experience (actually thinking of going for the PS3 version), it's not like I don't have anything else to play at the moment, I blame steam for that btw

DangerStepp

Lasthope106 said:
There is only one game that can make this Steam sale a great one for me:

5284838258_b4f2a3c30b_z.jpg

Nothing else will suffice.
Forgive my ignorance. I've never heard of this title but I'm intrigued. Educate me, my PC bretheren.

stuminus3

DangerStepp said:
Forgive my ignorance. I've never heard of this title but I'm intrigued. Educate me, my PC bretheren.
You know Deus Ex, right? Imagine it with goth chick vampires with huge boobs.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
DangerStepp said:
You are a vampire hunting down a whale. You go down the bloodline of whales until you find your goal, Kid Ebom.

And then you murder him, but there is a really emotional twist.

Think Shadow of the Colossus, except instead of Colossi you fight whales, and instead of a horse you have a boat.

DangerStepp

stuminus3 said:
O.O

I actually just started making my virgin run through Deus Ex recently and loving it. That, plus vampires and boobs?!

Only $20? The worst mixer is booze and STEAM during the holidays.

CiSTM

Banned
stuminus3 said:

That's rather poor comparison since Deus Ex has very little dialog or RPG elements for that matter. I would say one thing common with them is that they are both great games.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/retrospective-vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines

eurogamer's retrospective is pretty good read... It does say thing or two about deus ex too but I still think they are totally different games.

DangerStepp said:
O.O

I actually just started making my virgin run through Deus Ex recently and loving it. That, plus vampires and boobs?!

Only $20? The worst mixer is booze and STEAM during the holidays.

That, and it's Source engine (like HL2, L4D, though several years behind the latter) so it runs and looks a hell of a lot better than DX. Though it does have some jank. And you do need the community patches. But at least it's on a modern engine.

DangerStepp

seat said:
:lol
I laughed way harder at that than I should have.
Same here.

This one cracked me up, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqCleCqL3SY

gregor7777 said:
That, and it's Source engine (like HL2, L4D, though several years behind the latter) so it runs and looks a hell of a lot better than DX. Though it does have some jank. And you do need the community patches. But at least it's on a modern engine.
No doubt about it. I actually love the way Source looks; there's just something about the cleanliness of it.
Why has this game has never appeared on my radar? I'm going to Wiki it for more info.

Ledsen

Minsc said:
333d3c0.jpg

How can you say no to a game with dialog options like that? And there's more to it!

And there's plenty more where that came from!

And that's not even taking in to account when you play as Malkavian you get a whole new set of dialog options (complete in a fitting font) that are 100x more crazy because you're literally insane and in your own world!

And the facial animation system when they are delivering the lines is still among the best, and the VA is generally great too, loved this guy in the tutorial, among others.

Now I kind of want to buy it on Steam even though I already own and have finished the DVD version :lol

Minsc

Gold Member
DangerStepp said:

It's an older (but still quite serviceable) single-player PC-only game good enough to generate a 1000+ post LTTP thread 5 years after release. How many other games can do that on GAF, and have a great branching story, with interesting characters, good VA, and combine FPS and RPG elements in a unique way and are set in a very atmospheric and enjoyable world that isn't a high fantasy setting?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance.

Shit.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
stuminus3 said:
Holy shit is Trials 2 ever hard. The handling feels quite different from Trials HD. I didn't know it was compatible with the 360 controller, that was a pleasant surprise.
I don't know how anyone can do them without killing themselves a ton :(

Got the X-COM pack, Freedom Force vs. the third Reich and Winterbottom. These games along with Bioshock two will cover most of the stuff I'm missing from the 2K mega pack(Don't care much for DLC) and I pay a fraction of the price.

That Vampire game looks really tempting so I added it to my wishlist. You guys have made another Ahab.:lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Haeleos said:
Playing Magic The Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers... In multiplayer, trying to figure what creatures to block with during an attack of 20 creatures all with varying buffs and instants out near the end of a game... so I get one creature up before the games says NOOOOOO, the invisible timer runs out and the other player unleashes the apocalypse on me. FUUUUCK THIS GAME.

I'd be willing to help you learn the game. =)

Multiplayer is quite tough, stick to the Campaign and get some additional cards for your decks. Green is awesome.

Minsc

Gold Member
DangerStepp said:
That was a great read. Thanks! This game certainly seems to be right up my alley in terms of gameplay. Also, I have a weird thing for seemingly amazing games I've never heard of.

Bloodlines really does create a whole soap-opera gameworld like that article mentions - that many other games set out to do and fail, I haven't played Fallout 3 yet (just got the GOTY), but many people say that is a good example of a game that tries to portray a unique, desolate environment, but fails to do so, and you end up with dull characters, dull quests, dull environments, just plan out unconvincing, and it doesn't ever really take you in to it's world like it should (hopefully the Wanderer's mod helps this a bit - if nothing else should bring the challenge up high enough that it becomes fun).

If you want to see what it's like to be thrown in to the WOD world, a darker vampire inspired world, there's no game that does it better. And there's few games that do it better in any world setting for that matter, not just the WOD one that Bloodlines uses.

Minsc said:
Bloodlines really does create a whole soap-opera gameworld like that article mentions - that many other games set out to do and fail, I haven't played Fallout 3 yet (just got the GOTY), but many people say that is a good example of a game that tries to portray a unique, desolate environment, but fails to do so, and you end up with dull characters, dull quests, dull environments, just plan out unconvincing, and it doesn't ever really take you in to it's world like it should (hopefully the Wanderer's mod helps this a bit - if nothing else should bring the challenge up high enough that it becomes fun).

True, the first two games did a much better job of that.

Minsc

Gold Member
Fallout-NL said:
True, the first two games did a much better job of that.

Yea, Fallout 1 and 2 really created a good sense of the world they were meant to be set in for me, sad to hear they do it better than 3, but I sorta expected that (given Bethesda's inability to create convincing animations - Fallout 1 & 2 probably are better animated than 3 was, infact that was one of the neat things about the dialog, you could see a person's mood by their facial expressions). The only problem with Fallout is it is more of a loner feeling, not to many characters in it I became attached to, but perhaps that suits it nicely. The fights were brutal, and world was dangerous enough to make it all fit together nicely.

Minsc said:
Yea, Fallout 1 and 2 really created a good sense of the world they were meant to be set in for me, sad to hear they do it better than 3, but I sorta expected that (given Bethesda's inability to create convincing animations - Fallout 1 & 2 probably are better animated than 3 was, infact that was one of the neat things about the dialog, you could see a person's mood by their facial expressions). The only problem with Fallout is it is more of a loner feeling, not to many characters in it I became attached to, but perhaps that suits it nicely. The fights were brutal, and world was dangerous enough to make it all fit together nicely.

I feel the same way about F3, however Bethesda did get Point Lookout to feel like a Fallout area should. It was just a shame that things felt so forced and banal at times.

New Vegas is a step in the right direction. There are still problems to be sure, but it really felt like a game that was set in the same world as F1 & F2.

Steam edit: I've spent $12.50 so far on Men of War Gold Edition and Bully. I was tempted to take on Railworks 2, but the risk of spending $100's on DLC (Canadian Rail??) was just too much for me.

Ledsen

Minsc said:

If you want to see what it's like to be thrown in to the WOD world, a darker vampire inspired world, there's no game that does it better. And there's few games that do it better in any world setting for that matter, not just the WOD one that Bloodlines uses.

FO3 is nothing like Bloodlines in its approach to world building, and like Bethesdas previous games (Oblivion excluded), it's brilliance lies in the joy of exploration. The characters and quests are bad (like in Morrowind), but they manage to create that special feeling of "oooh, I wonder what's in that building on the horizon, gotta go check it out" that makes their games so compelling in the true sense of the word.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, Bully looks interesting but not enough for me to bite, and while thats a damn good price for AC2, the Ubi DRM is keeping me away. Day 3: no purchases.

Minsc said:
Yeah, the sense of reality to the world is one of the things that ironically I feel more strongly in classic 2D WRPGs like the Fallouts and Torment then I do in the modern 3D games. Yet another reason for me to want to play Bloodlines really really badly.

Minsc said:

That's the part that makes the first Fallout so dear to me actually. Like you said, it was brutal and desolate.

bonesmccoy said:
New Vegas is a step in the right direction. There are still problems to be sure, but it really felt like a game that was set in the same world as F1 & F2.

Hmm, gotta disagree here, if anything NV was worse than F3. Scarcely have I seen an RPG that was more 'gamey' than New Vegas. Everything was so obviously, and in such a painfully simple way, 'designed' or man made, and so poorly and bug-ridden at that, that I couldn't possibly look past the fact that I was navigating a large square filled with cut and paste content. Terrible, terrible game.

/edit: Sorry, I'll get back on topic now.

I bought Bully today, which is also the first game I bought this sale. Which means I'm doing very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom