• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
Ledsen said:
FO3 is nothing like Bloodlines in its approach to world building, and like Bethesdas previous games (Oblivion excluded), it's brilliance lies in the joy of exploration. The characters and quests are bad (like in Morrowind), but they manage to create that special feeling of "oooh, I wonder what's in that building on the horizon, gotta go check it out" that makes their games so compelling in the true sense of the word.

Sounds like you are saying FO3 would be better served if it had more of an I Am Legend story to it, less people/plot more exploration and monsters and mystery, I can believe that and see where I'd be wrong in comparing it to a more plot driven gameworld like Bloodlines, you don't really play Bloodlines for the open world aspect like you could FO3.

1-D_FTW

Stallion Free said:
I don't know how anyone can do them without killing themselves a ton :(

In general or with a 360 pad? I refused to play the game without a controller (m/k for shooters only with me). Are you saying it's easier with keyboard? Or just a general comment on the difficulty in general.

Supposedly Trials HD has much better control thanks to it being designed with the analog nature of the 360 sticks in mind.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Baha said:
Really want to buy Torchlight but I know it'll go on sale for $5, make it a daily deal today Gabe!

why yes I would like some torchlight for 5$ m'dear

Corto

kai3345 said:
So what do you guys think will be on sale today?

"The Whole Package": All of Steam's catalog with a 90% reduced price. Give yourself a seasonal treat! You've been good, and you totally deserve this. DO IT! As an extra Gabe will send you a thankful email digitally signed to authenticate its validity. Make your GAF friends jealous!

hamchan

Torchlight is pretty much guaranteed each steam sale. It's like the anti-Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines. A steam sale with Bloodlines and no Torchlight is when the world ends.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
kai3345 said:
So what do you guys think will be on sale today?
GTA IV, to counter Amazon.

I am also hoping for a Command and Conquer game. And Mass Effect. And Sonic's Racing game. Also the Sega Genesis games.

Minamu

Damn. Will F1 2010 even start with a Radeon X850 video card? System specs on steam says X1800 :S I should probably be worried, even Super Meat Boy gets freeze lag on this PC.

Is steam showing minimum specs or recommended?

Majeh

AzumiChan said:
For those of you wanting and waiting for Civ V to (maybe) pop up on the steam sale. I'd want to direct your attention to Get Go Games (Eurogamer owned)

Civ V at the moment: 26.99£ (in which you get a steamworks code)
http://www.getgamesgo.com/catalogue/game/sid-meiers-civilization-v

Enjoy and Merry X-mas everyone!

It's £20 on steam right now, other than having a disk there is no point to that. :lol

Edit: Didn't realise the site is a download service.

Minamu said:
Damn. Will F1 2010 even start with a Radeon X850 video card? System specs on steam says X1800 :S I should probably be worried, even Super Meat Boy gets freeze lag on this PC.

Is steam showing minimum specs or recommended?

IIRC the 850 wasn't shader model 3 which means it won't work with a lot of modern games that require it.

EzLink

Banned
I have a question! I've never purchased anything from Steam before, but I got a Macbook Pro over the summer and I'm interested in The Orange Box (which is basically the only good game available on steam for Mac :/). It's $14.99 right now, which I'm of course willing to pay for such a great bargain, but is there a decent chance it will have a further drop in price at some point over the sale? I don't mind waiting for a potential price drop, but if it's unlikely that it will happen I'll probably just buy it after work tonight

Thanks guys!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
EzLink said:
I have a question! I've never purchased anything from Steam before, but I got a Macbook Pro over the summer and I'm interested in The Orange Box (which is basically the only good game available on steam for Mac :/). It's $14.99 right now, which I'm of course willing to pay for such a great bargain, but is there a decent chance it will have a further drop in price at some point over the sale? I don't mind waiting for a potential price drop, but if it's unlikely that it will happen I'll probably just buy it after work tonight

Thanks guys!
Rule of thumb: wait. It'll inevitably be even cheaper than it is now.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
EzLink said:

Thanks guys!

I don't think anybody really knows, plus it's 15 bucks. Even if it drops by 5 bucks it's still an absolute steal.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Bought Just Cause 2 and I want to use a control, I own the typical generic type you'd buy for about 15$ which works for every game I needed it for, but I can't seem to find the way to configure it for JC2. I only see 360 Controller support where I don't own a Wired one.

Pleh!

Bungieware said:
1 hour to go, are we ready for the gifs?

Gifs involve talking, Not spending. Shut up and take my money!

DangerStepp

Minsc said:
Bloodlines really does create a whole soap-opera gameworld like that article mentions - that many other games set out to do and fail, I haven't played Fallout 3 yet (just got the GOTY), but many people say that is a good example of a game that tries to portray a unique, desolate environment, but fails to do so, and you end up with dull characters, dull quests, dull environments, just plan out unconvincing, and it doesn't ever really take you in to it's world like it should (hopefully the Wanderer's mod helps this a bit - if nothing else should bring the challenge up high enough that it becomes fun).

If you want to see what it's like to be thrown in to the WOD world, a darker vampire inspired world, there's no game that does it better. And there's few games that do it better in any world setting for that matter, not just the WOD one that Bloodlines uses.
While FO3 is fun, it feels more like Oblvion with a post apocalyptic skin and a different battle system. That's not to say that there's any lack of fun or exploration and it provides a good sense of last-man-standing desolation. There's much to find and there are some surprises along the way. Sure, it's easy to pick apart if you really want to find something wrong with it, but if you're the type of gamer who let's the experience soak in without much fight or worry of the game's reputation preceding the game itself then I think you're in for a treat. I enjoyed it very much at the time of its release (I put 60 or so hours into it), but I never bothered with the expansions because I felt I had gotten my fill of it. I did the same thing with Oblivion.

I can see how Bloodlines and FO3 would differ; it seems that Bloodlines encapsulates that "PC RPG" feel, for lack of a better term, better than FO3 would. FO3 feels very "console"--I don't know if that makes sense, but I think you see where I'm coming from. Like it graduated from the same public school The Witcher and STALKER attended. FO3 went to private school.

Thank you all for the Bloodlines education. I'm truly intrigued and I see myself picking this up even if it doesn't make the sale.

Who do you contact at Steam (and how) if you think there's an issue with receiving the wrong game?

I bought the Paradox Pack, which says that you get Sword of the Stars Ultimate Collection with it, but it seems to have only downloaded the normal version (I think). As when I go the Ultimate Collection page I can still buy it (doesn't say I already own it unlike the other games). Also the expansion pack for it it says I don't have the Ultimate or Murder of Crows version of the game.

Greg

Does Steam accept Visa Gift Cards? I want to pick up some games for a few friends, but I don't want to pick up a card for nothing.

Chacranajxy said:
Yep, ended up buying COD4 and PB Winterbottom today. The fucked up thing is, I'm planning to play Modern Warfare when I wake up tomorrow morning in order to kill time until the Steam deals change again, so I can buy more games.
Awesome that's the spirit!

DangerStepp

The Steam sale is going to evolve into its own religious holiday.

Similar to Hanukkah, it lasts more than one day as we wait each day to buy our own gift so that we can give it to ourselves. Gabe is Santa.

Nabs

Greg said:
Does Steam accept Visa Gift Cards? I want to pick up some games for a few friends, but I don't want to pick up a card for nothing.
Depends on the card, but yeah they work. Just make sure you can register something with the card. Either an name/address or zip code. Vanilla has worked well for me in the past.

OK Recettear, your demo charmed me more than I expected. Tell you what, if there's not a slew of intriguing sales today, and your discount still stands after the clock strikes noon, I'll reconsider.

Otherwise, there's always next time.

Ceebs

Greg said:
Yes it does. I get a few of these every year and have used them on Steam plenty of times. Just make sure you register the card online.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
DangerStepp said:
The Steam sale is going to evolve into its own religious holiday.

Similar to Hanukkah, it lasts more than one day as we wait each day to buy our own gift so that we can give it to ourselves. Gabe is Santa.
As an atheist gamer, I'm ready.

Moobabe

BarrenMind said:
OK Recettear, your demo charmed me more than I expected. Tell you what, if there's not a slew of intriguing sales today, and your discount still stands after the clock strikes noon, I'll reconsider.

Otherwise, there's always next time.

No - there's THIS time! Come on man!!!!!!!

Forkball

I didn't buy any games yesterday. But I kind of want some. Maybe I'll just buy one.. no, you have other games to play, YOU WILL PLAY THEM AT LEAST ONCE BEFORE YOU BUY NEW GAMES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom