• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Penny

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
So a banged up Krstic has business doing that? I'm not sure what most of you are smoking. Doc is doing what he can, that is limiting as many players as possible until things heat up. No pun intended.

Do you realize Doc played JO 37 minutes in his 7th game back coming off freaking surgery and your trying to convince me Krstic isn't playing now because he's injured, didn't have surgery and averaged 19 minutes over the last 6 games. What are you smoking? He loves big Baby. You can't seem grasp that concept.

numble said:
Yes, it was. They had the Bird Rights for Ariza. They had the MLE because they were over the cap. Sign Ariza with Bird Rights. Sign Artest with MLE. Sign Odom with Bird Rights. Sign Shannon with Early Bird Rights. Done.

This is why Houston proposed doing a Sign-and-Trade so that both teams could keep their MLEs.

The Sign & Trade was impossible almost, because Ariza became a BYC player had the Lakers signed him.

But yeah, that was all possible. Buss still wants to make as much $$ as possible, though. I can't fault him when he already has the highest payroll.

Sanjuro

Tom Penny said:
Do you realize Doc played JO 37 minutes in his 7th game back coming off freaking surgery and your trying to convince me Krstic isn't playing now because he's injured, didn't have surgery and averaged 19 minutes over the last 6 games. What are you smoking? He loves big Baby. You can't seem grasp that concept.
No, I grasp that concept fine. I'm just not fabricating information to further push that point like you are doing currently.

thekad

Banned
Beginning next week, Morey will interview Rockets assistant coach Jack Sikma and former Rockets forward Mario Elie, an assistant in Sacramento, and plans to speak with former head coaches Mike Brown and Mike Woodson.

The Rockets are interested in a long list of assistants, including San Antonio's Mike Budenholzer, New Orleans' Michael Malone, the Los Angeles Clippers' Dean Demopoulos, Philadelphia's Quin Snyder and Memphis' Dave Joeger, along with former head coaches Lawrence Frank, an assistant in Boston, and Dwane Casey, an assistant in Dallas. The Rockets will seek a meeting with the Lakers' Brian Shaw if he is not named the successor to Phil Jackson in Los Angeles.

tmac.gif

The Toney Douglas skip for the Lakers was odd because they took a shot at a scrub like Sun Yue and this year are hosting to scrubs in Ebanks and Caracter without much of a wince...but hey back to back champs hard to complain.

While the outcome is far from certain here, there are strong indications that the Maloof family, which owns the Kings, is facing enough opposition to the move to force it back to Sacramento. The Maloofs have already been pushed into two overtimes, as the original April 18 deadline to file for relocation was extended twice and now sits at May 2.

The next two days are pivotal. Johnson will host relocation committee chairman and Oklahoma City Thunder owner Clay Bennett and league counsel Harvey Benjamin in Sacramento and attempt to prove the case the mayor made so strongly at the NBA's Board of Governors meetings last week: that his city remains a viable market. On the other bench, sources say the Anaheim presentation given at the meetings was as ineffective as Johnson's was impactful, and there is serious doubt as to whether there will be enough support to warrant the Maloofs filing for relocation (a majority vote is needed to approve a move when a team files).

Specifically, a source with knowledge of the proposal revealed that the television rights riches that had long been seen as a major motivating factor for the Maloofs aren't quite as lucrative as they had hoped. And while it had been assumed they would attempt to fill the programming void left by the Lakers at Fox Sports West due to their recent megadeal with Time Warner that starts in 2012, two sources said that is not the case.

The plan as presented in New York included a possible partnership worth $20 million annually with KDOC, an Orange County-based, independent television station that is co-owned by the very man working so hard to make this move happen. Anaheim Ducks owner Henry Samueli, who operates the Honda Center where the Maloofs' team would play and has already committed $50 million through city bonds to help cover their cost of relocation, reportedly teamed with Bert Ellis to pay $149.5 million for the station in 2006.

The NBA has to approve all media deals for its teams, and the $20 million figure would hardly impress those doing the vetting considering the league average is also believed to be $20 million and the Los Angeles area media market is the second largest in the country.

By comparison, the Kings' current deal with Comcast is believed to be worth approximately $11 million annually, not much more than the league-low $9 million annual agreement for the Charlotte Bobcats. According to sources, the Clippers' television contract with Fox Sports West is worth $22.5 million annually (although renegotiations are expected considering the team's increased relevance). The Lakers' Time Warner deal is believed to be worth $200 million annually (potentially 25 years and a combined $5 billion).

The math, in other words, just isn't adding up like the Maloofs had hoped. And while the complications continue in Anaheim, optimism is on the rise in Sacramento.

By all accounts, Johnson was nothing short of spectacular in his presentation. He revealed $7 million in recent corporate commitments as a sign that there was untapped wealth in the area, leading to natural questions about why such contributions weren't available previously.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20.../20/sacramento.kings/index.html#ixzz1KCOghFFw

Posted? City of Sacramento got a shot in the dark, now. Get it done Kevin! You were always one of my favorite players, now you can be one of my favorite mayors too!

Dark Faze -Yue was before the payroll went up with Bynum's extension and the Pau trade.

Ebanks and Caracter make minimum salaries as 2nd round picks. There are literally no cheaper players to sign.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The Lakers' Time Warner deal is believed to be worth $200 million annually (potentially 25 years and a combined $5 billion).
Holy titty fucking wtf aahhh. That $200 mil covers their player salary twice over with ease after luxury tax. Wow. Everything else is pure profit, damn.
Ninja Scooter said:
If there was a Least Improved Player award who would win it? And would it be named after Tim Thomas?
"Least Improved" is such a weird term. It would indicate no progress was made. But what if the player was really good to begin with?

How about, "Most Regressed Player"?

Black Mamba said:
Posted? City of Sacramento got a shot in the dark, now. Get it done Kevin! You were always one of my favorite players, now you can be one of my favorite mayors too!

Dark Faze -Yue was before the payroll went up with Bynum's extension and the Pau trade.

Ebanks and Caracter make minimum salaries as 2nd round picks. There are literally no cheaper players to sign.

Also:

http://www.cowbellkingdom.com/2011/04/21/blocked/

KHTK 1140′s Mark Kriedler via twitter is reporting that the group led by Rob Stutzman has the necessary signatures to block the City of Anaheim from issuing $75 million in bonds that were going to pay for $25 million in renovations to the Honda center as well as $50 million to the Maloof family to help with relocation fees.

They want to push it to a public vote, which can't happen until 6/2012.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Ninja Scooter said:
If there was a Least Improved Player award who would win it? And would it be named after Tim Thomas?
Jonny Flynn takes home that award. He put up 14 and 4 last year on 42% shooting. 5 and 3 on 37% this season and lost his job to Luke Ridnour.

numble

reilo said:
Holy titty fucking wtf aahhh. That $200 mil covers their player salary twice over with ease after luxury tax. Wow. Everything else is pure profit, damn.
I think the Knicks make more money. They own their whole arena and their own channel.

Dark FaZe said:
The Toney Douglas skip for the Lakers was odd because they took a shot at a scrub like Sun Yue and this year are hosting to scrubs in Ebanks and Caracter without much of a wince...but hey back to back champs hard to complain.
2nd round picks are cheaper and non-guaranteed.

Blackface said:
So Time Warner owns the Lakers but some other people get to keep all the money they make.

good business decision Time Warner.

???

Time Warner does not own the Lakers. Jerry Buss and Anshutz Entertainment Group does. Also that guy who Magic sold his small stake in the team has a minor ownership.

Time Warner is paying to be the exclusive broadcaster for local telecasts, which is currently on local KCAL for road games and Fox Sports West for home games.

Does anyone havw Time Warner for their cable?

Yes, I do.

Also, T-W could license out the Lakers Channel to other cable/satellite options for a fee, much like Time Warner has tiers that allow people to see Fox Sports New England and the like in SoCal.

Time Warner has most of the LA cable market cornered, btw. Verizon Fios and Comcast are basically banned in the majority of the greater area, so they won't be forcing many people to switch, simply pay a fee to see the lakers.

edit: forgot AT&T Uverse also absent. T-W is the only option besides satellite in many places.

Tom Penny

Who art thou Player X. This is right up GAF's alley. I do find it funny he says he would say it to his face yet he's Player X from ESPN.

Garnett is a punk and a coward. I know, I know. Easy for me to say behind this column. Don't worry, I'll tell him to his face, too. And I'm not the only one who thinks that: If you're not on his team, chances are you hate the guy. You can learn a lot about him by watching his eyes. If he's talking to you -- and he's always talking -- he avoids eye contact. My advice to other guys in the league: Stare him down, and he'll retreat. From what I've seen, he'll never mix it up with a player who's bigger than he is. Personally, I think he's scared to fight -- like a playground bully who barks but doesn't bite.

But I have to admit, the Celtics are the most talkative guys in the league. And that makes sense, because it's the mark of a championship team. Mouths help you win big games. Ray Allen got mean in Boston, and Paul Pierce will look at you, say, "Stop this," then drop a J on your head.

Blackface

Banned
Black Mamba said:
???

Time Warner does not own the Lakers. Jerry Buss and Anshutz Entertainment Group does. Also that guy who Magic sold his small stake in the team has a minor ownership.

Time Warner is paying to be the exclusive broadcaster for local telecasts, which is currently on local KCAL for road games and Fox Sports West for home games.

Yes, I do.

Also, T-W could license out the Lakers Channel to other cable/satellite options for a fee, much like Time Warner has tiers that allow people to see Fox Sports New England and the like in SoCal.

Time Warner has most of the LA cable market cornered, btw. Verizon Fios and Comcast are basically banned in the majority of the greater area, so they won't be forcing many people to switch, simply pay a fee to see the lakers.

edit: forgot AT&T Uverse also absent. T-W is the only option besides satellite in many places.

Are you so fucking stupid that you don't understand blatant sarcasm? I guess there is no stat for that.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I like Taj Gibson so much more than Boozer. This crowd is schizo. Cheers for both teams. Love the traveling Bulls camp.

Blackface said:
Are you so fucking stupid that you don't understand blatant sarcasm? I guess there is no stat for that.

Considering your history, I'm going to assume ignorance before sarcasm, especially a poorly constructed example of one.

I mean, who could blame me?

Black Mamba said:
???

Yes, I do.

Those two are big players in the efforts to stop Kings moving to Anaheim.

Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) has a joint venture with Romani Group, called Icon Venue Group. Icon is currently tasked with trying to build an arena in Sacramento. Comcast has no broadcast rights in the OC. They have the Kings as their headliner for Comcast SportsNet California. Basically, if the Kings move, Icon, Comcast, and Anschutz lose money.

J2 Cool

I'll admit, Rose's shot has just left him in the playoffs so far. Everything he shoots is short, and he's lost his touch.

SoulPlaya said:
Boozer can be better, but he makes so many mistakes.

We need Boozer's offense, it just makes things easier, but Taj is a better match for Hansboro though. He hustles, he makes more coordinated defensive plays than either Boozer or Noah, and he generally plays smart.

J2 Cool said:
I'll admit, Rose's shot has just left him in the playoffs so far. Everything he shoots is short, and he's lost his touch.

We need Boozer's offense, it just makes things easier, but Taj is a better match for Hansboro though. He hustles, he makes more coordinated defensive plays than either Boozer or Noah, and he generally plays smart.

Perfect timing by rose :p

SephCast said:
I'm sorry.

Yeah...yeah. Only a couple more years down here then back to the burbs.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
J2 Cool said:

Yeah, Taj never really excels offensively, but he doesn't disappoint either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom