• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Well, then his team has no chance.

He was more aggressive in game 1 and looksey what happened.
He has no chance cuz his team is crap. Landry is his 2nd best player and Landry is about as good as Taj Gibson, to put things in perspective for you. Even his real number 2, David West, when healthy is like a homeless man's Boozer. He has to have historically, Hall of Fame type career games like in Game 1 just for his team to have a chance against a team like LA. You can't expect any player, no matter how great, to be able to do that every game under these circumstances.

Forceatowulf said:
Dat reacquisition of Home Court Advantage! Game 1 was such a fucking fluke. An absolute perfect storm of shit for the Lakers. Nothing more, nothing less.

It does feel nice knowing the only way to beat the Lakers at home in the post-season is selling your soul to the fucking devil though. Too bad for the league he only charges 1 game per All-star Soul.

I really hope Dallas wins their series. Their bigs aren't nearly as aggressive and physical as NO's. And they don't play defense as well as NO either.

uh, but the mavs actually have an offense. the lakers barely need to guard the hornets. they have nothing except for paul

etiolate

Banned
The Lakers chose a defensive strategy vs Paul when they didn't really have one in game 1. Paul needs to see what they're playing him for and go the other way, and hope the Hornets defesne holds up.

Anyways!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-sacramento-nba-20110423,0,7538878.story

League officials say the team, which has been weighing a move to Anaheim, probably will play in the state capital next season, but Kings co-owner Gavin Maloof says he and his brothers have not made a decision.

Maloofs getting kicked out of their own game.

SamuraiX-

giri said:
Thats not entirely true. NOH just cheaped out and sent a lot of it away, and for nothing, i mean, the collison trade netted them NOTHING. Tyson Chandler got them okafor, but man, Tyson is looking great now. Tyson, west, CP3 wasn't terrible.

C'mon, son.

Rose, Deng, Boozer, Noah vs. Paul, Stojakobricks, West, Chandler?

With the benches being:

Jannero Pargo, Bonzi Wells, Melvin Ely and Julian Wright vs. C.J. Watson, Kyle Korver, Ronnie Brewer, Taj Gibson and Kurt Thomas?

That was the year the Hornets made the semis, with presumingly the best team Paul had since he entered the NBA.

Don't forget Rose plays in the East.

Cloudy

Banned
LiveFromKyoto said:
Can we start calling Carmelo this generation's T-Mac? Or does that one playoff series victory disqualify him?

Nuggets were some bad inbounds passes away from beating the Lakers in the WCF 2 years ago..

giri

LiveFromKyoto said:
Can we start calling Carmelo this generation's T-Mac? Or does that one playoff series victory disqualify him?
Well, carmello has got to the WCF... so i doubt it. And maybe it's just me, bu the tone of that sounds like a criticism, who wouldn't want prime t-mac?

giri said:
Well, carmello has got to the WCF... so i doubt it. And maybe it's just me, bu the tone of that sounds like a criticism, who wouldn't want prime t-mac?

It's not always about raw talent, it's who can get it done and win you games.

giri

SamuraiX- said:
C'mon, son.

With the benches being:

Jannero Pargo, Bonzi Wells, Melvin Ely and Julian Wright vs. C.J. Watson, Kyle Korver, Ronnie Brewer, Taj Gibson and Kurt Thomas?

That was the year the Hornets made the semis, with presumingly the best team Paul had since he entered the NBA.

Oh, don't get me wrong, the bulls team has MORE talent, but not all of CP3's teams have been THIS bad.

giri

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
It's not always about raw talent, it's who can get it done and win you games.
Yeah. And both those guys do. Melo, most clutch player in the NBA. And is probably the most talented and complete offensive player in the game, handles, posts, drives, shoots all very well. And this series against the C's he's been rebounding and playing good D.

Wait, whats the argument against melo again?

When CP3 had talent, he made game 7 vs the defending champs in round 2 and put up 55 wins in a super tough western conference.

The next year chandler and Peja got hurt and it killed the team. Last year CP3 was hurt.

If you swap Rose with CP3, the Bulls make the Finals no questions asked.

giri said:
Yeah. And both those guys do. Melo, most clutch player in the NBA.

Who passed it to Jared Jeffries with the game on the line.

If LeBron gets shit for deferring it to Eddie House as the right play, surely Carmelo should as well.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
FrenchMovieTheme said:
uh, but the mavs actually have an offense. the lakers barely need to guard the hornets. they have nothing except for paul
Not worried about teams with good offenses. Teams that play tough physical D have always been the thorn in our ass. If you're not the type of team with that style, or something resembling it, then you're just not going to win. It's really that simple.

Black Mamba said:
If you swap Rose with CP3, the Bulls make the Finals no questions asked.

Anyone can SAY that...

That's why they play the games and games aren't won in theory.

I'm not saying it's impossible or improbable, just easy and silly to assume.

giri

TheGreatMightyPoo said:

If LeBron gets shit for deferring it to Eddie House as the right play, surely Carmelo should as well.
Deffering to a marked eddie house for a 3pt shot, vs passing to an open jared jeffries standing under the hoop? No, i think the 2 situations are very dis-similar. Fuck, all jeffries had to do was go up and attempt the layup/dunk. They would've called a foul on that MINIMUM.

charsace

TheGreatMightyPoo said:

lol

He mde the right play. The only place he could go is to Jefferies who had an easy layup, but pussied out.

giri said:
Deffering to a marked eddie house for a 3pt shot, vs passing to an open jared jeffries standing under the hoop? No, i think the 2 situations are very dis-similar. Fuck, all jeffries had to do was go up and attempt the layup/dunk. They would've called a foul on that MINIMUM.

If Jeffries had an easy no-one-around layup, then how come he decided to PASS the ball which lead to the turnover???

linsivvi

SamuraiX- said:
C'mon, son.

With the benches being:

Also don't forget the Hornets went 19-11 against the East THIS season.

This team would be a top seed in the East.

Oh my god I'm agreeing with a Kings fan.

giri

Forceatowulf said:
Not worried about teams with good offenses. Teams that play tough physical D have always been the thorn in our ass. If you're not the type of team with that style, or something resembling it, then you're just not going to win. It's really that simple.
Oh, your biggest advantage against the mavs isn't players, play style, or injuries. Phil vs Carlisle. Mavs start about -20 every game.

giri

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
If Jeffries had an easy no-one-around layup, then how come he decided to PASS the ball which lead to the turnover???
You're just asking the question everyone has been asking for the last 2 days ?!?!?!

it's jared jeffries, he finds ways to fuck things up.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Anyone can SAY that...

That's why they play the games and games aren't won in theory.

I'm not saying it's impossible or improbable, just easy and silly to assume.

Fair enough. And it's purely my opinion and nothing factually accurate. And it's not a knock on Rose at all. I just think CP3 is that good.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
ryutaro's mama said:
Happened with the ROX.

Happened with the Nuggs.

Happened with Baaaaaaaaaw-ston.

You wanna borrow DAT HCA? No problem--Game 3, it's your ass.
No other team gets it this consistently done on the road. It's what we do.

It's kind of fucked up that we give opposing fans glimmers of hope every year though, snatching it right back a few games later.

So appropriate
trolll.png

SamuraiX-

giri said:
Oh, don't get me wrong, the bulls team has MORE talent, but not all of CP3's teams have been THIS bad.

I think his teammates that played alongside him during his rookie season want a word with you.

Kirk Snyder? Desmond Mason? Speedy Claxton? Marc Jackson? These guys were either starting or one of the first players off the bench.

Kill it.

Kill it with fire!

giri said:
You're just asking the question everyone has been asking for the last 2 days ?!?!?!

it's jared jeffries, he finds ways to fuck things up.

Well, surely KG was in the area(a defensive stalwart, I said it this time) and trusting in JARED JEFFRIES because he's "open"????

I'd personally rather have Carmelo take a highly contested jumper though it's easy to say that after the fact/result.

numble

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Jared Jeffries was waived by the bottom of the barrel Rockets this year.

Black Mamba said:
Fair enough. And it's purely my opinion and nothing factually accurate. And it's not a knock on Rose at all. I just think CP3 is that good.

Nah, he is that good and what I was saying was more along the lines of wishing Paul would do more but maybe that's not possible as he gets no help and everyone keys on him and then he and his team are fucked as they don't get the job done.

I do think he doesn't take enough shots though.

giri

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Well, surely KG was in the area(a defensive stalwart, I said it this time) and trusting in JARED JEFFRIES because he's "open"????

I'd personally rather have Carmelo take a highly contested jumper though it's easy to say that after the fact/result.
I ask this and don't mean it insultingly, have you seen the play that we're talking about? because it doesn't sound like it.

giri said:
I ask this and don't mean it insultingly, have you seen the play that we're talking about? because it doesn't sound like it.

I have and if Jared Jeffries can take the ball from a long way out from the hoop and score on a waiting KG earlier in the quarter as he did, I don't know why he wouldn't take an uncontested layup right NEAR the basket but ummmm, ummmmm, IT'S JARED JEFFRIES!!!!!!!

Then don't pass the fucking ball to a scrub.

I am sure Carmelo could have gotten some kind of shot off.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Nah, he is that good and what I was saying was more along the lines of wishing Paul would do more but maybe that's not possible as he gets no help and everyone keys on him and then he and his team are fucked as they don't get the job done.

I do think he doesn't take enough shots though.

I'll agree during the season there are games where he is not aggressive enough with his own offense.

But in this series, the last 2 games I think the Lakers have committed to not allow him to do both score and pass. In particular, they don't want him passing for easy looks and getting his teammates going.

Paul made some tough shots in the 1st half and tired himself out, I think. Williams rotations are a bit weird, fwiw.

Black Mamba said:
I'll agree during the season there are games where he is not aggressive enough with his own offense.

But in this series, the last 2 games I think the Lakers have committed to not allow him to do both score and pass. In particular, they don't want him passing for easy looks and getting his teammates going.

Paul made some tough shots in the 1st half and tired himself out, I think. Williams rotations are a bit weird, fwiw.

The thing that really irks me about Paul is that in game 1 where he played awfully well(hitting difficult contested shots), he'd pass up an open mid to short-range jumper to get the ball to someone close to the hoop only for them to lose it in traffic.

I guess you guys are right though, he plays with the true pointguard mindset, I guess it's just not right for his team as well.

I still want Nash to go to a team that does him justice first though:p

charsace

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I have and if Jared Jeffries can take the ball from a long way out from the hoop and score on a waiting KG earlier in the quarter as he did, I don't know why he wouldn't take an uncontested layup right NEAR the basket but ummmm, ummmmm, IT'S JARED JEFFRIES!!!!!!!

He was trapped near the sideline. That's the worst position to be in offensively. He made the right play in passing to Effries.

giri

TheGreatMightyPoo said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If6gb8qLgMY

My last post on the topic because its seemingly going no where again.

Melo is double teamed out beyond the 3pt line. Jeffries got open under the basket. Garnet was not set, and all he had to do was go up and put it in, and he was only 2ft from the rim. instead he tried a 2 handed pass around garnets body, that, surprisngly, didn't work.

Remember how everyone agreed Graingers shot was bad at the end of Game 3? yeah, this would've been just as bad/worse, because pierce is a better defender.

Melo made the right play.

charsace said:
He was trapped near the sideline. That's the worst position to be in offensively. He made the right play in passing to Effries.

I'd have to see it again, I didn't see multiple replays with the TNT slo-mo cam of it.

I saw it once or twice.

ryutaro's mama said:
Why are you hating on CLEARLY the best announcer in Finals history?

i wouldn't dream of hating on jeff van gundy.

i think hell is a place where all nba games are cast by mark jackson and doris burke.

giri said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If6gb8qLgMY

My last post on the topic because its seemingly going no where again.

Melo is double teamed out beyond the 3pt line. Jeffries got open under the basket. Garnet was not set, and all he had to do was go up and put it in, and he was only 2ft from the rim. instead he tried a 2 handed pass around garnets body, that, surprisngly, didn't work.

Remember how everyone agreed Graingers shot was bad at the end of Game 3? yeah, this would've been just as bad/worse, because pierce is a better defender.

Melo made the right play.

Ok, I'm drunk but that doesn't sway me, Melo could have turned and shot right away and I don't see Jared Jeffries as open as you guys do.

I'll look it at it a few more times but Kevin Garnett is there in a hurry and Kevin Garnett near you isn't an uncontested open layup.

Looked at it again and I totally disagree, would have been a tough shot for Melo(which he makes often) but Jeffries was not wide open at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom