• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stealth Fox

bionic77 said:
Not to bust on the CP3 parade, but you guys do realize that he was playing against the Lakers poo poo platter of PGs? If a PG can't average 30ppg against the Lakers then he shouldn't be in the league.

I have no game left anymore and I am pretty sure I could get by Fish and the rest of our guys without much difficulty.

Not to say that CP3 isn't great, but lets not use this series as proof of that because the bar is too damn low.

NBA's 2010 Pittsburgh Steelers. You know it to be true.

Mest30

Banned
SephCast said:
Chris Paul is easily the best PG in the league, when healthy. Last night was a glorious performance.

Derek Rose, the soon to be youngest player in NBA history to win the MVP award, says hello.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Mest30 said:
Derek Rose, the soon to be youngest player in NBA history to win the MVP award, says hello.

Obviously, I don't know who Derrick Rose is.

Obviously, my avatar is of Carmelo Anthony.

Mest30 said:
Because being MVP makes you the best player in the league? I'll be sure and let Allen Iverson and Karl Malone know. David Robinson too, when he's done begging Hakeem for his balls back.

Bread

Banned
Mest30 said:
If anyone actually believes Derrick Rose is better than a healthy (or even in his current health state) Chris Paul, they need to take off their Rose tinted glasses.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I hope Mest doesn't freak out and automatically quit posting like that other guy did when NBA-Age blasted his opinion. That was pretty funny.

Mest30

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
Because being MVP makes you the best player in the league? I'll be sure and let Allen Iverson and Karl Malone know. David Robinson too, when he's done begging Hakeem for his balls back.

It makes you the best player for that year. And using your logic, I'll be sure to tell Kobe and LeBron that they are not among the leagues best because they have too much hardware.

Mest30

Banned
SephCast said:
I hope Mest doesn't freak out and automatically quit posting like that other guy did when NBA-Age blasted his opinion. That was pretty funny.

I'll be fine, dude, but thanks for caring.

Bread

Banned
Mest30 said:
It makes you the best player for that year. And using your logic, I'll be sure to tell Kobe and LeBron that they are not among the leagues best because they have too much hardware.
...the fuck?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Mest30 said:

MVP doesn't mean best. It has no set meaning and it's up to the voter to decide. That's what makes it so intriguing and annoying to debate.

Healthy CP3 led the shitty Hornets to the second best record in the West in 07-08. He averaged 23/11/5.5 while shooting 50% and 37% from three. That's far and away better than Rose's season this year.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
PORTLAND, Ore. -- The right call was made after a video review reversed the on-court call and awarded the Portland Trail Blazers possession after a scramble for a loose rebound late in Game 4, NBA spokesman Tim Frank confirmed Sunday.
chop chop

I'd take a healthy CP3 over 2011 DRose anyday of the week. If CP3 was the PG of the Bulls instead of Rose how would y'all think the Bulls would do against the Pacers????

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
CherryWoodFuton said:
I'd take a healthy CP3 over 2011 DRose anyday of the week. If CP3 was the PG of the Bulls instead of Rose how would y'all think the Bulls would do against the Pacers????

Probably be up 3-1 :p

The Stealth Fox

SephCast said:
MVP doesn't mean best. It has no set meaning and it's up to the voter to decide. That's what makes it so intriguing and annoying to debate.

Healthy CP3 led the shitty Hornets to the second best record in the West in 07-08. He averaged 23/11/5.5 while shooting 50% and 37% from three. That's far and away better than Rose's season this year.

CP3 was MVP that year, even though Kobe got it.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
CherryWoodFuton said:

Eh, that's tough. Bulls team was built around D-Rose. He's pretty much perfect for the Bulls. I think the best part, though, is that it's only Rose's 3rd year and he's still improving.

bionic77

The Stealth Fox said:
NBA's 2010 Pittsburgh Steelers. You know it to be true.
Low blow dude...

Honestly though I would be pretty happy with a Finals appearance with gimpy Kobe even if(when) we lost as long as we don't lose to the Celtics. That way Kobe would have 5 rings and have been to 8 finals just like Magic. Then he just needs to find a way to not to get AIDS and we will get a sequel with a happy ending.

Mest30

Banned
SephCast said:

Rose is averaging 25 points and 8 assists. Combine that with 4 boards over 1 steal and shooting 45% and 33% from three, I wouldn't say CP3s year was far and away better.

Bread

Banned
CherryWoodFuton said:
No doubt, Paul has never had a supporting cast like Rose's current one. CP3 is making Carl Landry look like a quality starting PF, give him Boozer and Noah along with players like Deng/Gibson/Korver and that would probably be the best team in the league.

OK I'm done talking about the Bulls supporting cast and Rose, this shit's stale. Let's talk about the real best PG in the league, Rajon Rondo!

reilo

Chris Paul never had a cast like Rose's?

Really? Did we all sleep through the 2008 season?

West ~= Boozer
Peja ~= White Deng (Peja shot 44% from three that year and 93% from freethrows, played 77 games)
Chandler ~= Noah
Pargo > Watson
Peterson ~= Korver (Morris shot 40% from three that year compared to Korver's 41% on less attempts)

I'm not saying Rose is better, but Paul's cast in 2008 wasn't any worse than what Rose is surrounded with today.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Mest30 said:

Steve wasn't even the best PG the two years he won..

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
David Aldridge said:
A league source says the two sides have had conversations in the last week -- including a meeting in L.A. -- in which Rambis acknowledged he has to be more positive with his young players and not beat them down mentally so much. Coming from the Lakers, Rambis brought a hard-nosed approach to Minnesota, trying to install the triangle offense and resisting much counterargument. That will have to change, for the Wolves aren't going to be a free-agent destination any time soon for prime-time players. The only way for Minnesota to get better is to get the most out of the Draft picks and young players already on the roster -- and players that are expected to be, like Ricky Rubio.

But the Wolves may want more than just Rambis' word that he'll improve his demeanor. Minnesota gave up an obscene 107.7 points per game last season (108.3 per 100 possessions), and the source indicated that Rambis may have to accept defensive help on his bench next season, replacing some -- maybe all -- of his assistant coaches, currently including Dave Wohl, Bill Laimbeer, Reggie Theus and J.B. Bickerstaff. It's not known if that would be a deal-breaker for Rambis.
I'm going to give up on the NBA if the only change the Wolves make is firing the assistant coaches.

reilo

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Peja was terrible in 2007-2008, come on.
The guy averaged 16.4PPG as the third option and shot 44% from three on 6.8 three attempts a game. Statistically, that was his best shooting season of his career.

reilo said:
The guy averaged 16.4PPG as the third option and shot 44% from three on 6.8 three attempts a game. Statistically, that was his best shooting season of his career.

He contributed absolutely nothing at that point in his career other than shooting threes, he's more comparable to 2011 Korver than 2011 Deng.

Blackace

reilo said:

West ~= Boozer
Peja ~= White Deng (Peja shot 44% from three that year and 93% from freethrows, played 77 games)
Chandler ~= Noah
Pargo > Watson
Peterson ~= Korver (Morris shot 40% from three that year compared to Korver's 41% on less attempts)

I'm not saying Rose is better, but Paul's cast in 2008 wasn't any worse than what Rose is surrounded with today.

West soft, can't rebound well and not much of a banger, but talented on the O side of the ball... Not equal to Booze

Peja makes Steve Nash look like a lock down defender...

Chandler comparable to Noah but Noah is much of a hard nosed player...

Deng is good on both sides of the ball..

Bread

Banned
reilo said:

West ~= Boozer
Chandler ~= Noah
Pargo > Watson

On second thought they are definitely more comparable than I stated, but I still think the Bulls team is better. Peja wasn't quite a white Deng, yes he had a great 3 point shot but was he really better at any other facet of the game? Noah is a better player right now than Chandler was at that point. And the Hornets didn't have a backup guy like Taj Gibson who I believe is a starting caliber PF.

reilo said:
(crazy nash tweet)

Straight lunacy by the BSPN guy. Nash would - and should - start over Billups...and if Nash is here in NY, Billups probably isn't. I can't believe that Billups would feel like he should be coming off the bench for anyone yet.

Fuck PG talk though, gotta get a center.

Gigglepoo

Mest30 said:
Rose is averaging 25 points and 8 assists. Combine that with 4 boards over 1 steal and shooting 45% and 33% from three, I wouldn't say CP3s year was far and away better.

"Is averaging" implies that these are his current stats, which isn't true. Rose is shooting 35% in the playoffs so far and 22% from three-point land.

reilo

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
He contributed absolutely nothing at that point in his career other than shooting threes, he's more comparable to 2011 Korver than 2011 Deng.
Deng has regressed massively this season. He's averaging a career low in rebounds despite playing a career high in minutes (39MPG!!), while at the same time transforming himself into a three-point chucker at 4.1 attempts per game despite shooting a mediocre 34.5% from distance. His previous career highs in three attempts per game? 1.9 his rookie season and 1.2 attempts last season.

Either way, my point is that the contributions Rose gets from Deng this season aren't much better than what Paul got from Peja in 2008. You can say they are equally mediocre.

Mest30

Banned
And if anyone thinks that Boozer is worth a damn then you've obviously never seen him play. He doesn't play defense, he settles for jumpers way too often, even when Guarder by weaker forwards and when he does go to the basket, he goes up soft as hell.

Blackace

Mest30 said:
And if anyone thinks that Boozer is worth a damn then you've obviously never seen him play. He doesn't play defense, he settles for jumpers way too often, even when Guarder by weaker forwards and when he does go to the basket, he goes up soft as hell.

West is so softer than hell and the Bulls as a team play mad D.. The old Hornets team didn't

Healthy CP3 led Bulls in the East would get them in the Finals. He would absolutely murder Bibby, Chalmers, and Rondo on D

Edit:Not to discount what Rose did this year but people seem to forget what a really good true PG can do to improve teams.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
reilo said:
Deng has regressed massively this season. He's averaging a career low in rebounds despite playing a career high in minutes (39MPG!!), while at the same time transforming himself into a three-point chucker at 4.1 attempts per game despite shooting a mediocre 34.5% from distance. His previous career highs in three attempts per game? 1.9 his rookie season and 1.2 attempts last season.

Either way, my point is that the contributions Rose gets from Deng this season aren't much better than what Paul got from Peja in 2008. You can say they are equally mediocre.

This is one case where stats don't tell the story. Last year, Deng tried to force himself to be the 2nd option, which led to overdribbling, long 2-point jumpers, and inconsistency.

His defense is superb and the increase in threes is part of the system to space out the floor. 34.5% from 3 (eFG% of 51%) is better than him shooting his normal 40% from 16-23 feet. He effectively converted 3 of his long two-point attempts into three point attempts, and has a higher eFG% due to that.

http://hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Luol Deng

Rebounds are down because he plays with Boozer and Noah now (elite rebounders).

reilo

Blackace said:
West is so softer than hell and the Bulls as a team play mad D.. The old Hornets team didn't
Boozer isn't exactly tough. The point is, Boozer now and West in 2008 are a wash.

Blackace

reilo said:
Boozer isn't exactly tough. The point is, Boozer now and West in 2008 are a wash.

Boozer at least has one post move... Which is more than West :(

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
CherryWoodFuton said:
Healthy CP3 led Bulls in the East would get them in the Finals. He would absolutely murder Bibby, Chalmers, and Rondo on D

Rose can still get them in the finals...

SamuraiX-

reilo said:

West ~= Boozer
Chandler ~= Noah
Pargo > Watson

Come on, reilo.

Peja ~= Deng? Deng plays defense and can actually drive strong to the basket. I'll give you the Boozer and Noah similarities. Even Mo Pete and Korver.

Pargo was always trash. I'd take Watson over him.

Also, give me Ronnie Brewer, Taj Gibson, and Kurt Thomas over Bonzi Wells, Melvin Ely, and Julian Wright.

And, of course, Rose also has the edge of playing in the East.

Tom Penny

Blackface said:
238235628.jpg

I wonder how many more points Jordan would have scored if he played in an era where if you get touched, it's a foul.

It was obviously easier to score in Jordan's era. How else do you explain like 5000 more points in one less game.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
reilo said:

Deng can defend though, right? Peja couldn't do that.

I'd also argue the Bulls bench is better overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom