• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mest30

Banned
CherryWoodFuton said:
Healthy CP3 led Bulls in the East would get them in the Finals. He would absolutely murder Bibby, Chalmers, and Rondo on D

Edit:Not to discount what Rose did this year but people seem to forget what a really good true PG can do to improve teams.

And you're assuming Rose will not lead them to the finals? The Pacers will be done tomorrow and the Hawks don't stand a chance. The conference finals will be interesting and you certainly can't rule out the Bulls winning against Miami or Boston.

Bread

Banned
Mest30 said:
And you're assuming Rose will not lead them to the finals? The Pacers will be done tomorrow and the Hawks don't stand a chance. The conference finals will be interesting and you certainly can't rule out the Bulls winning against Miami or Boston.
I'm curious as to why you say that. Hinrich is one of the best wing defenders in the league, and the Hawks actually match up well with the Bulls at every position. It will be interesting to see if the Hawks keep running Horford at PF, because he definitely plays better there.

Mest30

Banned
snack said:
Let's see. Maybe MJ is just THAT much better than Kobe?

I agreement MJ shits all over Kobe but Kobe's stats are a little unfair because he was a bench player his first year or two because of his age and being such a raw talent.

Mest30

Banned
Bread said:
I'm curious as to why you say that. Hinrich is one of the best wing defenders in the league, and the Hawks actually match up well with the Bulls at every position. It will be interesting to see if the Hawks keep running Horford at PF, because he definitely plays better there.

I've had no respect for the Hawks since I saw the Bulls beat them by 40. I am pretty sure the Bulls lost only once to them in the regular season and that was a case of falling asleep after building a huge first half lead. I see no reason why the Bulls wouldn't win that series in 5 games. Hinrich is a good perimeter defender but Rose should be able to go to the basket on him at will.

Tom Penny

Bread said:

Do you see the shots ATL takes? If it even went 6 it would be a total surprise to me. Jamal Crawford would have to be in the zone the whole series making those crazy shots.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
But then we run into some problems in logic. The implication, of course, is that the Heat are doomed. The narrative says that LeBron clearly can't close (I mean, come on, 1-for-8!) and, statistically, Wade is chopped liver. A graphic detailing their numbers or some variant of that graphic will be plastered to your TV screen whenever the Heat are discussed in the coming days.

But what can we really make of this?

In the world of statistics, there are descriptive statistics (what happened?) and predictive statistics (what will happen?). The more observations we have, the more predictive power. With these clutch shots, we just don't have many observations at our disposal and what we are observing is an exercise marked by failure.
http://proxy.espn.go.com/blog/trueh...id/6609/what-heats-clutch-numbers-really-mean

This article reads like Fox News commentary.

"We believe Obama when he says he is a naturally born citizen, but what can we really make of this??!"

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Bread said:

I'm still worried about the Pacers. I will never look ahead when up 3-0, just ask the Vancouver Canucks.

SamuraiX-

Mest30 said:
I've had no respect for the Hawks since I saw the Bulls beat them by 40. I am pretty sure the Bulls lost only once to them in the regular season and that was a case of falling asleep after building a huge first half lead. I see no reason why the Bulls wouldn't win that series in 5 games. Hinrich is a good perimeter defender but Rose should be able to go to the basket on him at will.

I've always looked at the Hawks as a team with no heart that loves to collapse in the post-season, but this year they look like a different team.

I think it's gonna be an awesome match up. Especially if Hawks go with Horford @ PF like they did in this Orlando series and also like they did when they beat the Bulls during the regular season.

Rose was averaging nearly twice as many 3-pointers against the Hawks this season as he had been averaging throughout the season as a whole. He was also held to averaging only 38% shooting from the field.

If the Hawks can force Rose to take jumpers and limit him to less than double digit attempts from the free throw line, they have a very good chance at the upset.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Mest30 said:

Bread

Banned
Tom Penny said:
Do you see the shots ATL takes? If it even went 6 it would be a total surprise to me. Jamal Crawford would have to be in the zone the whole series making those crazy shots.
ATL has a really ugly offense, no doubt about that. But do you see how bad Chicago is playing? I don't know what to expect from them next round.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Bread said:
ATL has a really ugly offense, no doubt about that. But do you see how bad Chicago is playing? I don't know what to expect from them next round.

Indiana's ultra aggressive defense has exposed the Bulls, but I don't know if all teams can execute it the way they do. Pacers are filled to the brim with lengthy, tall, athletic players.

SephCast said:
Indiana's ultra aggressive defense has exposed the Bulls, but I don't know if all teams can execute it the way they do. Pacers are filled to the brim with lengthy, tall, athletic players.

Not all teams can, but the Hawks and Heat definitely can.

SamuraiX-

Allen: Ginobili Faking Elbow Injury

RealGM said:
Memphis guard Tony Allen accused Manu Ginobili of faking his right elbow injury.

Sports Illustrated reporter Chris Mannix just tweeted the interesting comment from Allen at the Grizzlies’ practice today, who claimed that Ginobili’s sprained right elbow is “for the birds.”

Allen and Ginobili have been involved in a physical battle in both games that Ginobili has played in the series since missing Game 1 with what Spurs doctors diagnosed as a sprained right elbow.

“Everybody is banged up,” Allen said. “You don’t see me running to my PR guy telling him about an injury.”

It's weird, but I don't remember Tony talking as much shit when he was playing for the Celts.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Not all teams can, but the Hawks and Heat definitely can.

I'd say Hawks more than heat. Heat's big men don't have the quickness to execute the trap as well.

And by "the quickness" I meant "any quickness".

BUT I'M STILL WORRIED ABOUT THE PACERS.

Mest30

Banned
Bread said:

Do you see how bad they are playing yet still winning? Doesn't matter if you win by 1 or 20, the goal is getting to the next round and a 4-1 series win, if the Bulls close it out tomorrow, is pretty convincing despite how close any single game was.

SephCast said:
BUT I'M STILL WORRIED ABOUT THE PACERS.

They're been close in all four games and now will have the motivation and confidence that they're only three wins away from the conference finals, that they can beat the Bulls, and that Rose is injured. Game 5 will be close.

Bread

Banned
Mest30 said:
Do you see how bad they are playing yet still winning? Doesn't matter if you win by 1 or 20, the goal is getting to the next round and a 4-1 series win, if the Bulls close it out tomorrow, is pretty convincing despite how close any single game was.
Alright, we know that the Bulls are up 3-1. Good for them. There's more to the game than the final score though. If the Bulls struggles continue into the next round, they might not be in a position to pull victories out of their asses like they have been against the Pacers.

diddles

Banned
SamuraiX- said:
I've always looked at the Hawks as a team with no heart that loves to collapse in the post-season, but this year they look like a different team.

the hawks have almost lost every game to a HORRIBLE magic team playing HORRIBLE for even their already HORRIBLE standards, shooting in the 20-30% range from the field, and like 10% from three. Atlanta should have won each one of these games by 20+. they're terrible, and the bulls will slice through them like a hot knife through butter.

reilo

LiveFromKyoto said:
What, you don't believe he'd flop an injury?
Oh, he'll certainly exaggerate the hit, but we've seen Manu play long enough to know that he wouldn't fake an injury. His reluctance to rest up during the off-season post-2007 was definitely a detriment to the Spurs and his game overall. The guy has played through bad ankles, broken noses, and other ailments. He definitely "acts" his way through a game, but at the same time he'll suit up when he probably shouldn't.

Bread said:
Alright, we know that the Bulls are up 3-1. Good for them. There's more to the game than the final score though. If the Bulls struggles continue into the next round, they might not be in a position to pull victories out of their asses like they have been against the Pacers.

The Celtics struggled against the Hawks and Bulls in the first round in consecutive years, and struggled against the Cavs in the '08 semis. The Lakers struggled against the Thunder last year. The '06 Heat struggled against the Bulls. The '04 Pistons struggled against the Nets.

Maybe you guys are just reading too much into first round tune-ups. If a team finds a way to win despite having a matchup problems with a lower seed, it's a good sign of perseverance and execution.

giga

diddles said:
the hawks have almost lost every game to a HORRIBLE magic team playing HORRIBLE for even their already HORRIBLE standards, shooting in the 20-30% range from the field, and like 10% from three. Atlanta should have won each one of these games by 20+. they're terrible, and the bulls will slice through them like a hot knife through butter.
Why make up bullshit?

Magic Game 1: 45%
Magic Game 2: 35%
Magic Game 3: 42%
Magic Game 4: 39%

Hawks are just completely outmatched in the post and that's how Orlando has kept some games close.

diddles

Banned
giga said:
Why make up bullshit?

Magic Game 1: 45%
Magic Game 2: 35%
Magic Game 3: 42%
Magic Game 4: 39%

Hawks are just completely outmatched in the post and that's how Orlando has kept some games close.

ok maybe a bit of hyperbole but still yesterday in the third quarter atlanta was at 50% and orlando was at like 27% and the score was almost tied. dwight wasn't doing much either.

and still, last year Atlanta was hitting those types of percentages and orlando, who wasn't even good enough to get to the finals again, swept the series, winning by an average of over 20 points a game.

reilo

Los Angeles Lakers forward Derrick Caracter was arrested in New Orleans on Sunday, the Los Angeles Times reported.
Talk about... lack of Caracter.

ohyeaaaaahhhhhh.gif

giga

diddles said:
ok maybe a bit of hyperbole but still yesterday in the third quarter atlanta was at 50% and orlando was at like 27% and the score was almost tied. dwight wasn't doing much either.

and still, last year Atlanta was hitting those types of percentages and orlando, who wasn't even good enough to get to the finals again, swept the series, winning by an average of over 20 points a game.
Dwight scored 13 points and grabbed 7 rebounds in the third quarter. It was 37-48 Atlanta at the half and ended 61-66. What are you on?

SamuraiX-

Hedo Turkoglu is averaging 23% shooting from the field, 13% from range, and 50% from the FT line against the Hawks.

Christ.

J-Rich? 30% FG and 27% 3pt.
Jammer shooting 35% FG and 24% 3pt.
Redick 23% FG and 8% 3pt.
Ryan Anderson 23% FG and 17% 3pt.

I think the only guy to improve his play from regular season to post season for this team, besides Dwight, is Gunbert who is averaging 46% FG and 33% 3pt.

This team, man. Wow.

reilo

SamuraiX- said:
Hedo Turkoglu is averaging 23% shooting from the field, 13% from range, and 50% from the FT line against the Hawks.

Christ.

I think the only guy to improve his play from regular season to post season for this team, besides Dwight, is Gunbert who is averaging 46% FG and 33% 3pt.

This team, man. Wow.
Oddly enough, none of those shooting stats are shocking me in the least.

SamuraiX-

reilo said:
Oddly enough, none of those shooting stats are shocking me in the least.

Come on, man. This is horrible.

All of these guys were 40% 3pt shooters on the season and were all in the mid-40s in FG%.

reilo said:

They really are dramatizing the shit out of this.

The walking boot was enough, man.

Barrage

As shitty as the Hawks have been playing, with the addition of Hinrich they aren't that far from contending in the East.

If they were paying a solid big man (a Kaman/Oden/Camby type player) that 7.5 Mil instead of Marvin Williams, and if Joe Johnson wasn't playing like a poor man's Joe Johnson, they'd be dirty. But Marvin's shittyness means the best they can hope for is the 2nd round.

reilo

SamuraiX- said:
Come on, man. This is horrible.

All of these guys were 40% 3pt shooters on the season and were all in the mid-40s in FG%.
Yeah, but does it really shock you that it's those particular guys that are choking in the first round? I can go all on about how Bonzi Wells used to put up amazing shooting numbers in the regular season and then shit the bed in the playoffs. I see those players in the same vein at this stage of their careers. Too many loose bolts rattling in their heads.

xnipx

Barrage said:
As shitty as the Hawks have been playing, with the addition of Hinrich they aren't that far from contending in the East.

If they were paying a solid big man (a Kaman/Oden/Camby type player) that 7.5 Mil instead of Marvin Williams, and if Joe Johnson wasn't playing like a poor man's Joe Johnson, they'd be dirty. But Marvin's shittyness means the best they can hope for is the 2nd round.
Marvin Williams makes 7.5 per!?? And I thought blatche was a waste of money sheesh

snack

gasolbob.gif

SamuraiX- said:

Christ.

This team, man. Wow.

Holy crap.

I haven't watched any of this series (after last year's debacle, following the dreadful Milwaukee series, I made it a point to never watch Hawks' playoff basketball), are the Hawks just defending the 3 point line well, or are the Magic just bricking a million open jumpers? This is the kind of performance that can get a coach and/or GM fired.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

+ unprotected 2012 first rounder. DO IT.

Hinrich can't guard Rose for a whole game.

Seemed like earlier in the year, Hinrich was one of the only players that could actually stay with Rose but later in the year, it wasn't even close, Rose destroyed him.

However, with the Hawks, I worry more about Al Horford and Jamal Crawford.

Even Joe Johnson.

The Hawks better try to go inside against the Bulls(that is if the Bulls get past the first round and the Hawks do as well) because shooting jumpers all game isn't going to amount to shit like they have done before unless they hit every shot.

SamuraiX-

giga said:

I don't know how I could bring myself to look back at that draft if I was a Hawks fan.

I would do everything in my power to completely block it from memory.

But then again, if you guys picked up CP3 or D-Will, I doubt you would've finished bad enough to have still been in position to pick up Horford in 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom