• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
John Hollinger (Insider): "On Saturday I tweeted Roy's player efficiency rating for the final 12:45, but upon review I actually shortchanged him a bit. His mark for that stretch was an incomprehensible 89.68, or roughly triple what a typical MVP winner might post. Per 40 minutes he averaged 67 points, 16 assists and no turnovers. In a nutshell, then, this wasn't just the best quarter of Roy's career; this was the best quarter of just about anybody's career."
Well, uhm, I urgh...

HOLLINGER!!!!!!

Barrage

Sho_Nuff82 said:
This is pretty low even for you dIEHARD. Brother can't even do charity without being thrown under the bus for not being Deron?

When your fanbase supports people who trick the blind, and boo cancer patients, charity is seen as weakness.

thekad

Banned
reilo said:
Deng has regressed massively this season. He's averaging a career low in rebounds despite playing a career high in minutes (39MPG!!), while at the same time transforming himself into a three-point chucker at 4.1 attempts per game despite shooting a mediocre 34.5% from distance. His previous career highs in three attempts per game? 1.9 his rookie season and 1.2 attempts last season.

Either way, my point is that the contributions Rose gets from Deng this season aren't much better than what Paul got from Peja in 2008. You can say they are equally mediocre.

reilo, ladies and gentleman.

diehard

Fleer
Maybe it's Rose's increased chucking that has led to Deng's decline.
snack said:
That's so cold.
Want me to make a list of all the charitable things Lebron has done?

.. oh they have the same marketing company btw.

reilo

LovingSteam said:
What is the mIRC chat address?
Check the OP.
Well, let it be said after acquiring two super-duper-stars and one nice player (only in the year 2003 is Chauncy Billups part of any team’s “Big Three”) the Knicks have collected exactly as many playoff victories as the New Jersey Nets and precisely one less than the Indiana Pacers and Philadelphia 76ers, who didn’t spend the latter stages of the regular season telling anyone who would listen that they were going to be a “tough matchup” for their heavily favored and more experienced first-round competition. In fact, let it be said that in the timespan between the last Knicks’ playoff victory, the Nets have made the NBA Finals twice, have made the Eastern Conference semifinals three additional times, including one year where they swept the “Starbury” led Knicks to get there. Remember that Knicks fans? When Stephon Marbury and Tim Thomas were your beacons of light?
‘Melo has exited stage left in the first round for the seventh time in his eight playoff seasons. And yet I’m supposed to continue to treat this guy like he’s an elite NBA player who can single-handedly carry a team to victory.
You’ve been the cock of the walk all year Knicks fans. Time to take your lumps like a Nets fan.
http://netsarescorching.com/2011/04/25/kicking-the-knicks-when-theyre-down/#ixzz1KZOXaAVt

datether

reilo said:
What is that, like a Canadian chariot or something?

Circle "yes" or "no":

YES | NO Luol Deng is better now than four seasons ago

Yes, better, because he's now a 3 point threat. Everywhere, he's the same except smarter.

reilo

thekad said:
You compared 2008 Peja to Deng. 2008 Peja was Kyle Korver. Maybe worse.
Ah, I should have guessed that your lack of reading comprehension would kick in again.

reilo

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Telling fans to take injuries into account and then expecting a full season of Deron Williams for 2011-2012.
This was only the second time in Deron's career that he played less than 70 games -- and he played 65 and the other time he played 68.

Deron playing 75+ games is far more of a reasonable prediction than Amare or Billups doing the same.

Your argument still makes no sense. Deng's rebounding dropped because of Boozer, Gibson, and Asik's presence on the glass. When you replace Brad Miller and Thomas with them, it's going to obviously be harder for Deng to rebound.

To fault Deng for playing with better rebounders is silly. Deng developed a 3 point shot this season which he shoots often. He hasn't declined in any facet of the game.

edit: And deng provides a lot more than Peja did. You are ignoring defense.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Telling fans to take injuries into account and then expecting a full season of Deron Williams for 2011-2012.

I doubt a lingering wrist injury is going to take Deron out for any reasonable amount of time next year.

Either way (and I said it the day the trade went down) the Knicks would be bonkers to pick up Billups' option, even as tradebait. They have to be looking for Centers or PGs now with that money.

reilo said:
This was only the second time in Deron's career that he played less than 70 games -- and he played 65 and the other time he played 68.

Deron playing 75+ games is far more of a reasonable prediction than Amare or Billups doing the same.

He's been limited for half the season in the last two years due to the wrist injury. The argument for the Nets is that they could easily become championship contenders if they A. Ditch Outlaw and Petro for expirings. And B. Sell Dwight on playing in Brooklyn with Deron. Neither of which is impossible in the slightest. Whereas the Knicks are locked into mediocrity for the next two seasons and then will suck afterward. And if the Nets fail, they'll have flexibility and will be picking high whereas the Knicks won't. Those are the arguments to be made, the others are hypocritical.

reilo

Black Mamba said:
Your argument still makes no sense. Deng's rebounding dropped because of Boozer, Gibson, and Asik's presence on the glass. When you replace Brad Miller and Thomas with them, it's going to obviously be harder for Deng to rebound.

To fault Deng for playing with better rebounders is silly. Deng developed a 3 point shot this season which he shoots often. He has declined in any facet of the game.
Plenty of good or even great rebounders have found themselves on teams with other great rebounders and not seen their rebounding numbers decline as dramatically as Deng's did. Pau and Odom come to mind immediately. Gerald Wallace being another.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
He's been limited for half the season in the last two years due to the wrist injury. The argument for the Nets is that they could easily become championship contenders if they A. Ditch Outlaw and Petro for expirings. And B. Sell Dwight on playing in Brooklyn with Deron. Neither of which is impossible in the slightest. Whereas the Knicks are locked into mediocrity for the next two seasons and then will suck afterward. And if the Nets fail, they'll have flexibility and will be picking high whereas the Knicks won't. Those are the arguments to be made, the others are hypocritical.
That's not what the column said at all. Re-read it. Nobody even remotely made that suggestion, either.

Knicks fans after they acquired Amare and Melo on the other hand...

SamuraiX-

Black Mamba said:
Deng developed a 3 point shot this season which he shoots often.

Let's be honest here.

Did he actually "develop" a 3-point shot or has he just been taking four times as many 3s with the same shooting ability he's had throughout his career?

reilo

SamuraiX- said:
Let's be honest here.

Did he actually "develop" a 3-point shot or has he just been taking four times as many 3s with the same shooting ability he's had throughout his career?
Rasheed Wallace at one point developed a three-point shooting ability, too.

thekad

Banned
reilo said:
Ah, I should have guessed that your lack of reading comprehension would kick in again.

reilo said:
my point is that the contributions Rose gets from Deng this season aren't much better than what Paul got from Peja in 2008. You can say they are equally mediocre.

Bad at math. Bad at reading. Bad at logic.

reilo said:
That's not what the column said at all. Re-read it. Nobody even remotely made that suggestion, either.

Knicks fans after they acquired Amare and Melo on the other hand...

I know the article said nothing about that which is why it was terrible. The Nets were an awful, terrible team this season and had more insane expectations so bashing the Knicks for going to the playoffs while the Nets finished as one of the five worst teams in the NBA is stupid. Nets fans arguing against the Knicks should only go for the higher upside argument.

reilo

thekad said:
Bad at math. Bad at reading. Bad at logic.

I feel like I need to respond with a GOP-style attack ad... One sec, I can make a meme out of this...

thekad: Bad at trolling, Bad at life. Do you really want this person posting on your interwebs?

reilo

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
I know the article said nothing about that which is why it was terrible. The Nets were an awful, terrible team this season and had more insane expectations so bashing the Knicks for going to the playoffs while the Nets finished as one of the five worst teams in the NBA is stupid. Nets fans arguing against the Knicks should only go for the higher upside argument.
It's a response to Knicks fans incessant trolling of the Nets this entire season. "Haha! We are back bitches! Look at you Nets, look at you now!"

A week later they get swept in the playoffs and there's huge uncertainty about their roster, coaching, and front-office. I'd say right now that the Nets have a clearer outlook/plan, but lower ceiling for the foreseeable future.

giri

reilo said:
What is that, like a Canadian chariot or something?

Circle "yes" or "no":

YES | NO Luol Deng is better now than four seasons ago
Dengs better now. He isn't taking as much of the scoring load, and they have a better bigs rotation. Along with lessening his scoring load has been putting him on the other teams best wing scorer. He's turned into a player that plays both ends. I hated on deng to start the season, and don't get me wrong, he's no Melo or Iggoudala, but he's better than he was.

dream

Now that the Knicks are back
to fishing and golfing in obscurity
, I wonder if Frankman will finally admit that Friday Night Knicks song is terrible.

reilo said:
It's a response to Knicks fans incessant trolling of the Nets this entire season. "Haha! We are back bitches! Look at you Nets, look at you now!"

A week later they get swept in the playoffs and there's huge uncertainty about their roster, coaching, and front-office. I'd say right now that the Nets have a clearer outlook/plan, but lower ceiling for the foreseeable future.

Nets fans trolled the Knicks all season long as well and ended up winning 20 fewer games. The dreams of the Nets making the playoffs after the Deron was more deluded than the dreams of the Knicks winning the title after the Melo trade as well.

reilo

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Nets fans trolled the Knicks all season long as well and ended up winning 20 fewer games. The dreams of the Nets making the playoffs after the Deron was more deluded than the dreams of the Knicks winning the title after the Melo trade as well.
I don't recall any Nets fans saying they were gonna make the playoffs.

Besides, after they acquired Carmelo, the Knicks went 13-14, including a stretch where they lost 9 out of 10 versus the likes of Bucks (twice!), Pacers (twice!), Pistons, and Bobcats. That doesn't even include the two losses to the Cavs before that losing stretch.

Branduil said:
Nets playoff wins in last 10 years=43
Knicks playoff wins in last 10 years=0

End of Knicks discussion.

Whatever. This is the 2011 playoffs thread.

The only relevant Nets in the 2011 playoffs are the ones the Knicks couldn't get the damn ball into enough to beat Boston.

captmcblack said:
Nets playoff games = 0.
Nets regular season wins = 24.

End of Nets discussion.

The last time the Knicks won a playoff game I was a freshman in college, and I bet my roommate at the time that they wouldn't win a ring until 2020. My 10 year reunion is next year, and I'm still winning the bet easy.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
They did.

Who is "they"? My pre-season prediction was 25-30 wins.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Branduil said:
Nets playoff wins in last 10 years=43
Knicks playoff wins in last 10 years=0

End of Knicks discussion.

0069_fzui.gif

reilo said:
Plenty of good or even great rebounders have found themselves on teams with other great rebounders and not seen their rebounding numbers decline as dramatically as Deng's did. Pau and Odom come to mind immediately. Gerald Wallace being another.

1. Deng is not a power forward, those other players are (G-Wall plays it a bunch).

2. You're still wrong. It's a big issue among the stats-community because all evidence has shown that when you add a good rebounder to a team with another good rebounder, both rebounders tend to drop off or one significantly and the whole team feels a ripple effect (though not every player); there are large diminishing returns in rebounds.

Pau's rebounding % increased both years after Bynum got hurt. This year they went down after Bynum returned. Lamar saw biggest boosts from the injury. The biggest effects have been guys like Ron (2 worst years in LA).

Gerald Wallace is seeing no effect for 2 reasons. One, Charlotte was a slighty better rebounding team and two, Camby has missed games. Why would Wallace see a change in his numbers when teammates rebound the same on either team? It's no surprise that G-Wallace's worst year rebounding is the season Okafor and Nazr were playing together.

What's most hilarious is you claim great rebounders don't have as big a decline. But Noah, on Deng's team, had just as big a decline as Deng. Boozer has taken rebounds from him, too!

You know who else got worse? Boozer! Almost the same decline as Deng and Noah! All 3 of them declined.

There are only so many rebounds to go around. The more better rebounders you have the less valuable each one becomes on rebounds.

In fact, if you look at great rebounders changing teams especially (Rodmans, Cambys, etc) you will find that they negatively impact their teammate's ability to rebound (as a whole) every time. There is not a single example in NBA history of it not happening.

edit: it even happened to David Lee this year, and bigger than Deng. Suddenly he plays with Biedrens and Amundson and they all get worse. All 3 of them. It happens without fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom