• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream

The guy's from Detroit and at a Detroit Pistons game. He's guilty of something even if he's not the one who threw the drink.

KingGondo said:
*Assuming that guy Ron went after was actually the guy who threw the beer.
He wasnt. Im just saying what really has Ron done that is so bad? Yeah in the context of a basketball game it was stupid, but if you are in a bar and some dude throws a drink at someone and proceeds to get his ass kicked is that so bad? Didnt he deserve it?

Ninja Scooter said:
He wasnt. Im just saying what really has Ron done that is so bad? Yeah in the context of a basketball game it was stupid, but if you are in a bar and some dude throws a drink at someone and proceeds to get his ass kicked is that so bad? Didnt he deserve it?

It's absolutely inexcusable to go into the stands like that. He should have controlled himself and let security handle it.

Going into the stands like that totally leveled the field between players and fans.

Grimm Fandango said:
It's absolutely inexcusable to go into the stands like that. He should have controlled himself and let security handle it.

Going into the stands like that totally leveled the field between players and fans.
Of course it is, but what I am saying is is it so bad that 5 years later the guy can't have gotten his shit together and win an award for his charity work? He didn't kill or rape anyone, or run an illegal dog fighting ring, or watch his two friends stab a dude to death, or have sex with a 15 year old prostitute.

Ninja Scooter said:
Of course it is, but what I am saying is is it so bad that 5 years later the guy can't have gotten his shit together and win an award for his charity work? He didn't kill or rape anyone, or run an illegal dog fighting ring, or watch his two friends stab a dude to death, or have sex with a 15 year old prostitute.

Oh okay. Yeah he shouldn't have to relive it over 6 years later.

reilo said:
And that suddenly is enough to overcome his past and current transgressions?

This is the equivalent of giving an award to Bristol Palin for her amazing contributions to the anti-teen-pregnancy movement.

Your arguments are continually grounded on astounding logic.

Camby didn't win a citizenship award. This is so unfair. Boo Hoo. Woe is the life of a Blazer fan.

exarkun said:
Fuck you guys, I love Inside the NBA but I don't get cable until finals are over. Is it good tonight? Has Charles said anything of relevance in terms of actual commentating about the playoffs that I should know about?

Man, I miss the show. Only thing on cable I really really miss. That, and HD basketball games.

Late, but they keep clips of whole shows here.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Black Mamba said:
Your arguments are continually grounded on astounding logic.

Camby didn't win a citizenship award. This is so unfair. Boo Hoo. Woe is the life of a Blazer fan.
Who even mentioned Camby or the Blazers? Get your mouth off my dick already in regards to my team.

You guys defended Kobe after his rape allegations, and now are defending the crazy shit Ron pulled at the Palace? Wow. I don't want to ever hear any one of you dudes talking about another fan being too in love with a player because he's on their team. You guys take it to the extreme.

Shit, I didn't even defend Zach Randolph while on the Blazers and the shit he did is minor in compared to what Kobe and Artest pulled off. I don't even want to imagine the type of contortion act you'd pull if Vick was on a LA NFL team to suck his dick after the pitbull incident. You guys are shameless, but of course I shouldn't expect any better of Lakers fans.

Darkman M

reilo said:
Who even mentioned Camby or the Blazers? Get your mouth off my dick already in regards to my team.

You guys defended Kobe after his rape allegations, and now are defending the crazy shit Ron pulled at the Palace? Wow. I don't want to ever hear any one of you dudes talking about another fan being too in love with a player because he's on their team. You guys take it to the extreme.

Shit, I didn't even defend Zach Randolph while on the Blazers and the shit he did is minor in compared to what Kobe and Artest pulled off. I don't even want to imagine the type of contortion act you'd pull if Vick was on a LA NFL team to suck his dick after the pitbull incident. You guys are shameless, but of course I shouldn't expect any better of Lakers fans.
Allegations are just that allegations, and Artest punching some asshole fan that think he owns you because he bought a $75 dollar ticket makes me lose no sleep.

reilo

Darkman M said:
Allegations are just that allegations, and Artest punching some asshole fan that think he owns you because he bought a $75 dollar ticket makes me lose no sleep.
Then you're no better than the asshole fan nor Ron Artest. Good job. You're all assholes.

And even if we leave the allegations to the side, the fact of the matter is that he still cheated on his wife. You can keep focusing on the allegations all you want. Doesn't make him less of a shitty human being.

numble

reilo: Which player has contributed more towards community service this year?

Odom gets the 6th Man for his work this year, primarily as a 6th Man, despite his past as a primary starter.

Artest gets the community service award for the work done this year in community service.

reilo

numble said:
reilo: Which player has contributed more towards community service this year?
Oh I don't know. I'm sure if I bothered to do the research I could pull up any number of players that do a ton for their community.

But of course Lakers fans will come back with the $650k figure as some sort of "absolute fact" that Artest did the "most". It's a sad time when we commend players for donating a whopping 1% of the total salary they earned throughout their playing career as some grand gesture of generosity.

numble said:
Odom gets the 6th Man for his work this year, primarily as a 6th Man, despite his past as a primary starter.

Artest gets the community service award for the work done this year in community service.
What? What the fuck?

numble

reilo said:
Oh I don't know. I'm sure if I bothered to do the research I could pull up any number of players that do a ton for their community.

But of course Lakers fans will come back with the $650k figure as some sort of "absolute fact" that Artest did the "most". It's a sad time when we commend players for donating a whopping 1% of the total salary they earned throughout their playing career as some grand gesture of generosity.

What? What the fuck?
Yes, it's not the NBA Hall of Fame. They are awarded for what they did that year. Same as Coach of the Year, MVP, etc.

He's also done a lot besides that donation.

reilo said:

Please, let's not pretend that you would care if Ron had won if Camby wasn't nominated. This is who you are. Always complaining about a Blazer being slighted.

I said your logic was astounding. And it is. As if past discretions matter in a yearly award. Even your Palin argument was stupid, and you just made me use Palin in a non-condescending tone towards her, so your comment was twice as awful as a normal comment.

I have never and will never defend what Ron did at the Palace. But what happened at the Palace has absolutely nothing to do with his contributions to society in the past 365 days.

I'm not going to sit here and argue that Ron should have won the award. I don't know the criteria and how they measure candidates. I only understand that charity work and societal contributions matter and Ron has done that in a noticeable way without being a detriment in the same time frame. I'm certain the other nominees did too. Insttead of whining about another Blazer being slighted in your eyes, why not just say "it's good to see Ron turned his life around."

Oh I don't know.

Then if you don't know, then you have no right to criticize to begin with.

"b-b-b-ut the answer is certainly not Ron!" is not an argument.

Darkman M

reilo said:
Then you're no better than the asshole fan nor Ron Artest. Good job. You're all assholes.

And even if we leave the allegations to the side, the fact of the matter is that he still cheated on his wife. You can keep focusing on the allegations all you want. Doesn't make him less of a shitty human being.
Indeed he is guilty of cheating on his wife, but people make mistakes, Artest has definitely made a huge effort to be a better person even with all his mental issues, don't see how you can hate the guy over what happened 6 or so years ago.

reilo

Black Mamba said:
Please, let's not pretend that you would care if Ron had won if Camby wasn't nominated. This is who you are. Always complaining about a Blazer being slighted.
I didn't even know Camby was nominated until you mentioned it. So quit that shit.
I said your logic was astounding. And it is. As if past discretions matter in a yearly award. Even your Palin argument was stupid, and you just made me use Palin in a non-condescending tone towards her, so your comment was twice as awful as a normal comment.

I have never and will never defend what Ron did at the Palace. But what happened at the Palace has absolutely nothing to do with his contributions to society in the past 365 days.

I'm not going to sit here and argue that Ron should have won the award. I don't know the criteria and how they measure candidates. I only understand that charity work and societal contributions matter and Ron has done that in a noticeable way without being a detriment in the same time frame. I'm certain the other nominees did too. Insttead of whining about another Blazer being slighted in your eyes, why not just say "it's good to see Ron turned his life around."
Hop off that Blazer dick already. Nobody mentioned Camby nor the team.

But keep on trucking! I eagerly await Lakers fans comments about Artest once he starts souring up the lockerroom and gets his ass traded. Rockets fans loved him at one point, too, until he showed up on a team bus carrying the owner in his underwear.

Darkman M said:
Indeed he is guilty of cheating on his wife, but people make mistakes, Artest has definitely made a huge effort to be a better person even with all his mental issues, don't see how you can hate the guy over what happened 6 or so years ago.
Six years? The guy was sentenced and sent to jail for domestic abuse just three seasons ago.

Did Reilo just bring up infidelity for a sports athlete.

Oh, brother.

But keep on trucking! I eagerly await Lakers fans comments about Artest once he starts souring up the lockerroom and gets his ass traded. Rockets fans loved him at one point, too, until he showed up on a team bus carrying the owner in his underwear.

A bunch of Rocket fans still like him.

He helped us win a title. But is this what your argument boils down to? We will someday dislike him?

le sigh.

SamuraiX-

SMH @ all the Lakers fan defending Ron-Ron.

I wish I could have seen your reactions when that incident first happened and compare that to how you felt when he signed with LA up until now.

reilo

SamuraiX- said:

I wish I could have seen your reactions when that incident first happened and compare that to how you felt when he signed with LA up until now.
They didn't even like him until they beat Boston last year. Winning cures everything, apparently.

Black Mamba said:
Did Reilo just bring up infidelity for a sports athlete.

Oh, brother.

A bunch of Rocket fans still like him.

He helped us win a title. But is this what your argument boils down to? We will someday dislike him?

le sigh.
As opposed to your "that's all in the past" argument?

The Stealth Fox

I mean, I don't like Ron Ron that much either, but there's all that mental health advocacy he did as well as auctioning off his only ring. That's probably why he got the award.

He's probably still a little crazy and he probably will garbage up their team chemistry sooner or later, and once he's left the Lakers, all these stories of his insanity will come out, but the award is for community service and that's what he's done.

SamuraiX- said:

I'm not defending Ron-Ron doing what he did back then. I'm defending the right to be nominated for an award based on the past 365 days.

Ron deserved the punishment from that incident and what he did was wrong.

numble

reilo said:
They didn't even like him until they beat Boston last year. Winning cures everything, apparently.

As opposed to your "that's all in the past" argument?
I've had pro-Ron posts ever since he was on the Rockets. Maybe it's the Queens thing. I live in Queens now.

The Stealth Fox

numble said:
I've had pro-Ron posts ever since he was on the Rockets. Maybe it's the Queens thing. I live in Queens now.

Ron Artest showed up on a team bus in his underwear right in front of the owner. He's still a little crazy.

It's always after he leaves that all these reports come out of all the weird garbage he did.

reilo

I guess I shouldn't be surprised Artest won it considering that KG won the same award in 2006, Vlade Divac in 1999 and Isiah Thomas in 1987.

numble

The Stealth Fox said:
Ron Artest showed up on a team bus in his underwear right in front of the owner. He's still a little crazy.
Well I like the crazy stuff. I like Odom too, who is crazy in a different way.

SamuraiX-

Black Mamba said:
I'm not defending Ron-Ron doing what he did back then. I'm defending the right to be nominated for an award based on the past 365 days.

Ron deserved the punishment from that incident and what he did was wrong.

So you'd be cool if Chris Anderson somehow won it next season?

Darkman M

SamuraiX- said:

Going into the stands was crazy/wrong but I understood why he did it and he was punished hard by stern, what's the problem here?

numble

SamuraiX- said:
So you'd be cool if Chris Anderson somehow won it next season?
If he was doing a lot of charity work (beyond the mandatory "NBA Cares" stuff that is required by the CBA), and did nothing bad that year, why not?

SUPREME1

Banned
Crazy Ron is crazy. So what?

That doesn't take away from the charity work he did this year.

To say 'wow he's only donating a grand total of 1% of his total career salary' is just petty. He's donating this entire season's salary for goodness' sake. Yeah it's not going to break him financially, but it's still very fucking generous and uncommon.

Then you add the efforts he made on behalf of mental health awareness... and him auctioning off his only championship ring (something he gave up lots of money to be able to compete for).

I think he's a great choice for this year's award.

dream

If Kobe does a ton of work to raise awareness and campaign for gay rights from May onwards and gets recognized by GLADD, would anyone really go "yeah but he said faggot so it doesn't count!"

fake edit: I know people will say that but would it be fair?

Karakand

Jeez this is a reminder why I recently had to endure a nauseating "holiday" (as I do every year) where people unironically celebrate the fact that they have constructed societies without a possibility for redemption and have to invent omnipotent dudes that watch you poop to assuage the intellectual contradictions this creates.

Ninja Scooter said:

He did have his dogs seized by animal services for animal abuse (he wasn't feeding them), and he was arrested for domestic abuse when he beat his wife, and he did jail time for it (only 10 days though, yay celebrity). He hasn't been a great person even though the Laker media propaganda machine sweeps everything under the rug and makes him look like he's just a kooky fun guy.

reilo

SUPREME1 said:
Let's list all of Ron's transgressions!!

Palace Brawl
Domestic Abuse
Animal Abuse
Is this a "those are no big deal, you're all blowing shit out of proportion" post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom