• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
My picks look pretty meh. Got the Hawks and probably Grizzlies, but the Blazers and Nuggets losing sucks. 6/8 with a Grizzles win though the amount of games is pretty close.

The Stealth Fox

Black Mamba said:
Well, Laker fans are the smartest fans in the NBA.
3AQmK.gif

More like obnoxious, annoying, pretentious, pieces of...

Anyone who says Mitch Kupchak is a good GM is a piece of crap. Yes, he made decent moves, but even idiots can be right.

The guy has Steve Blake signed until he's 85 and will give Kobe 30 million dollars in 2013. He traded Caron Butler for Kwame Brown.

If you have a blank check to spend however you want, of course you're gonna get it right a few times.

I want to get all the posts from the 2006 NBA season and list all the posts that were ripping him apart, and rightly so.

Come on guys, don't have retrograde amnesia.

What an embarrassment. Portland is playing like they want the season to end. Who would have thought they'd be in the running for most mentally weak team in the entire playoffs? Even the fucking pacers played with more enthusiasm.

The Stealth Fox said:
More like obnoxious, annoying, pretentious, pieces of...

Anyone who says Mitch Kupchak is a good GM is a piece of crap. Yes, he made decent moves, but even idiots can be right.

The guy has Steve Blake signed until he's 85 and will give Kobe 30 million dollars in 2013. He traded Caron Butler for Kwame Brown.

If you have a blank check to spend however you want, of course you're gonna get it right a few times.

I want to get all the posts from the 2006 NBA season and list all the posts that were ripping him apart, and rightly so.

Come on guys, don't have retrograde amnesia.

His free agent signings have been terrible for the most part but he's made some good trades without taking the Pau trade into account.

Blackface

Banned
Black Mamba said:
The dirty secret most people don't know is there already is a hard cap (no, not luxury tax). It's the 58% must be allocated to the players. This serves as an actual hard cap. But it's not on a team basis.

The league doesn't want a team hard cap, despite Stern's smoke blowing. What it really wants, besides a lower % going to the players, is better revenue sharing. The league as a whole makes more by having teams like Miami, LAL, etc being superteams, but some teams struggle as a result. So what they need to do is make some of the money come back to them from other channels. And that is what will happen.

The last thing the NBA wants is parity where Spurs vs Nets NBA Finals (and teams like them) become the norm. This would kill the league.

Whatever happens, I guarantee you teams like the Lakers will be protected. Stern is not an idiot. He knows where the $$$ lies.

Like I said, I don't think a hard-cap is going into place, but it's a possibility. It has shown to work.

The problem is, a majority of the NBA is small-market teams. With only a handful of large markets having a franchise. One of those markets, Toronto, can't even buy a player because nobody wants to live and play in Canada. Leaving a few larger markets in the states to compete for players.

Stern works for the owners. Unless all the small market team owners are colluding with the large market teams, they want a level playing field. Revenue sharing is a way for all owners to make money, but it doesn't compare to the money that could potentially be made by having a successful team.

Right now, the NBA has a system that favours the large market. The NBA is dying, and not sustainable. If they changed nothing, the NBA wouldn't last another 20 years. They are close to bankrupt as it is, and a number of teams are teetering on the edge. However, unlike the NHL, they have no where to put these teams.

You are assuming there is some type of consiiracy to keep big markets competitive and small markets down, there isn't. It's what is causing the NBA to become the joke it is now.

All that said. The rules regarding trades and retaining players are going to change drastically. Chances are bird rights for sign and trades will go out the window, and a max contract will be larger on the team you are draft with, then any team you go to after the fact.

It's going to be very difficult if not impossible for the Lakers to acquire Dwight for this reason. If the rules did stay the exact same, you would have to assume the Magic want Bynum for Dwight. They probably don't. They will want a number of young prospects and draft picks. They will have to go into rebuilding mode, and you can't do that with the team they have plus Bynum.

The Lakers then face the prospect of having to resign Howard to a max deal. Another rule change that may happen, is you can only sign a player to a max deal while being over the cap, if at the time of acquiring the player, the team was at or under the cap, not over it. This rule is very popular and has been talked about numerous times over the past year.

The likelyhood of him going to the Lakers, and not to a team with young up and coming beasts like Blake is very slim. Could it happen? Sure, anything can. Will it? Probably not. My opinion is no way in hell.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
zero margin said:
Fernandez is a joke. He's not even looking to shoot he's so demoralized. Ship em out.
Luckily for you, David Kahn likes Portland bench warmers.

File that under Martell Webster fucking sucks.

Blackface said:
Like I said, I don't think a hard-cap is going into place, but it's a possibility. It has shown to work.

The problem is, a majority of the NBA is small-market teams. With only a handful of large markets having a franchise. One of those markets, Toronto, can't even buy a player because nobody wants to live and play in Canada. Leaving a few larger markets in the states to compete for players.

Stern works for the owners. Unless all the small market team owners are colluding with the large market teams, they want a level playing field. Revenue sharing is a way for all owners to make money, but it doesn't compare to the money that could potentially be made by having a successful team.

Right now, the NBA has a system that favours the large market. The NBA is dying, and not sustainable. If they changed nothing, the NBA wouldn't last another 20 years. They are close to bankrupt as it is, and a number of teams are teetering on the edge. However, unlike the NHL, they have no where to put these teams.

You are assuming there is some type of consiiracy to keep big markets competitive and small markets down, there isn't. It's what is causing the NBA to become the joke it is now.

All that said. The rules regarding trades and retaining players are going to change drastically. Chances are bird rights for sign and trades will go out the window, and a max contract will be larger on the team you are draft with, then any team you go to after the fact.

It's going to be very difficult if not impossible for the Lakers to acquire Dwight for this reason. If the rules did stay the exact same, you would have to assume the Magic want Bynum for Dwight. They probably don't. They will want a number of young prospects and draft picks. They will have to go into rebuilding mode, and you can't do that with the team they have plus Bynum.

The Lakers then face the prospect of having to resign Howard to a max deal. Another rule change that may happen, is you can only sign a player to a max deal while being over the cap, if at the time of acquiring the player, the team was at or under the cap, not over it. This rule is very popular and has been talked about numerous times over the past year.

The likelyhood of him going to the Lakers, and not to a team with young up and coming beasts like Blake is very slim. Could it happen? Sure, anything can. Will it? Probably not. My opinion is no way in hell.

A lot of the problems you list will be the result of limiting salaries, possibly even reducing current contracts.

The NBA has an easy time fractioning the player base.

All they got to do is reduce the slice of the total pie by taking most of it from the top end salaries, but guaranteeing higher salaries for the low end. Max goes from $18 million to $13 million but the $6 mil MLE becomes $6.5 million.

Cutting out a year from contracts will help too. There might be protections thrown in like franchise tag of some variety for smaller market teams. Then some revenue sharing.

Regarding Bynum for Dwight, we are all mostly joking. but, Bynum is only 23, he is young. orlando, IMO, would definitely take him if they HAVE TO lose Dwight. And his contract is very short term by then. And the salaries will match under any system, the current CBA or the next one. Of course it would have to be a S&T and not a FA signing outright. But very few guys do move as FA. Bron and Bosh were traded, too.

But whatever happens, teams like the Lakers will be protected with an ability to stay powerhouses (assuming they don't do anything stupid). Stern won't kill his league's strength.

Rodeo Clown said:
Luckily for you, David Kahn likes Portland bench warmers.

File that under Martell Webster fucking sucks.

I remember they were calling Webster the next Glen Rice when portland picked him on draft day. Missed the mark on that one a bit.

Post-game Phil Jackson: “And by the way, I drank the water today in New Orleans.... I did. Swear to God. I didn’t mean to. But I drank it.”

hah. Phil's last game vs New Orleans. :(

Let's see if Dallas learned anything about holding a lead.

zero margin said:
I remember they were calling Webster the next Glen Rice when portland picked him on draft day. Missed the mark on that one a bit.

Webster was a bad prospect in high school, he shouldn't have gone lottery in that draft at the time of it, that was just a terrible pick and a terrible trade.

dream

Black Mamba said:
Post-game Phil Jackson: “And by the way, I drank the water today in New Orleans.... I did. Swear to God. I didn’t mean to. But I drank it.”

Early signs of alzheimer's? Senility? I don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom