• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
LiveFromKyoto said:
Windows is for soccer moms who don't know any better.

posted from my 4+ year old MacBook that I carried up mountains and around the world and is still going strong.
Yeah, I feel like if I swap out my main hd on my Mac Pro with a SSD and double up my RAM, that thing would be blazing fast. That's what? $250 worth of hardware? Not a bad upgrade to have to do after four years.

dream said:

tumblr_lhyqzieZir1qi0ij1o1_500.jpg

Everybody feels Gundy sometimes.

numble

reilo said:
Yeah, I feel like if I swap out my main hd on my Mac Pro with a SSD and double up my RAM, that thing would be blazing fast. That's what? $250 worth of hardware? Not a bad upgrade to have to do after four years.
I just doubled my RAM and HD for $105 on my 3.5 year old MacBook Pro. Hope that keeps it going until they make MacBook Pros more Air-like and they are on the 2nd update.

Bishman said:
13 and 29 is pretty embarrassing as well.

Bishman

numble said:
I just doubled my RAM and HD for $105 on my 3.5 year old MacBook Pro. Hope that keeps it going until they make MacBook Pros more Air-like and they are on the 2nd update.

13 and 29 is pretty embarrassing as well.
Dirk is a hard player to guard. You either play tight and hope you don't foul him and send him to the free throw line. Or sag off a little bit and he scores at will. Pick your poison.

_woLf

Bishman said:
Dirk is a hard player to guard. You either play tight and hope you don't foul him and send him to the free throw line. Or sag off a little bit and he scores at will.

Regardless of whether the calls were fair or not tonight, I've never seen Nate as pissed as he is now, and I definitely can see that reflecting into the players.... Dallas is going to have an incredibly determined opponent on Monday.

giri

reilo said:
I've done both. Built my own gaming PCs from the ground up by myself and purchased Apple products. My work laptop is a fully loaded Core i7 Macbook Pro with 8GB of RAM. My home PC is a 2007 Mac Pro. My HTPC is a custom built solution by me. And of course, I've purchased various off-the-shelf PCs, too.

Best way to explain it is the difference between buying a Subaru WRX STi versus purchasing an Audi S4, which is double the price. Both will get you great performance and the STi is probably even better. But combine the design, style, build materials and, yes, badge matters, and you got two different products.

Are there merits to purchasing both? Yeah, I think so. The inclusion of Mac OSX is worth it alone, in my opinion. At the end of the day though, it's your friends money. If he can afford it, he can afford it.
There should be a massive disclaimer on this post, don't you work in multimedia more?

I've used both, and would (and do) avoid macs. I'm a programmer and can't stand them.

I should point out, i HATE proprietary closed environments, that might sound an odd argument FOR windows, until you realise it's being compared to Apple.

masud

Banned
Bishman said:
Im sorry but I dont buy the idea that if both teams are playing hard then the ft #'s should be similar. If you're playing hard but you cant keep your man in front of you the you're probably gonna foul them, allot. If they can guard you they're not gonna foul as much, bottom line. I think those # just show how hard it is to guard rose/lebron/wade

giri

_woLf said:
Regardless of whether the calls were fair or not tonight, I've never seen Nate as pissed as he is now, and I definitely can see that reflecting into the players.... Dallas is going to have an incredibly determined opponent on Monday.
You can whinge about it all you want, and in some cases, you have a case. I didn't bother watching the end of that game, i knew the mavs were going to win. But dirk was getting mugged in the first half and got barely any calls, if he got a few makeup ons in the second half... well they should've been made earlier.

numble

giri said:
There should be a massive disclaimer on this post, don't you work in multimedia more?

I've used both, and would (and do) avoid macs. I'm a programmer and can't stand them.

I should point out, i HATE proprietary closed environments, that might sound an odd argument FOR windows, until you realise it's being compared to Apple.
What is closed about OS X compared to Windows? You can run both on a Mac.

dream said:
Shaq will be fine for the second round.

HoopsHype says he's definitely playing one more year, and the Knicks are looking at signing him. Whether anyone believes that or not other than the source, I don't know. He's been injured for most of the year and he ain't getting any younger.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
exarkun said:
My boy just started this argument with me about how traditional roles have reversed and how techies love Apple now with regular people go with windows. This is brought on by him trying to qualify his near 2k purchase for his new apply laptop. I almost vomited when I heard the price, and I'm pretty close to slapping him.

Should I just tell him Gaf already settled this? Just to tickle his fancy, I've been telling him the audio from his laptop is the best I've ever heard in my life and I think he's starting to catch on...
I just spent $2k on a notebook myself.

i7-2630QM
AMD Radeon HD 6970M (desktop 6850)
8GB RAM
320GB HDD
Blu-ray
1080p LCD (90% color gamut)

Us poor Windows peasants have it so bad...

aznpxdd

reilo said:
I've done both. Built my own gaming PCs from the ground up by myself and purchased Apple products. My work laptop is a fully loaded Core i7 Macbook Pro with 8GB of RAM. My home PC is a 2007 Mac Pro. My HTPC is a custom built solution by me. And of course, I've purchased various off-the-shelf PCs, too.

Best way to explain it is the difference between buying a Subaru WRX STi versus purchasing an Audi S4, which is double the price. Both will get you great performance and the STi is probably even better. But combine the design, style, build materials and, yes, badge matters, and you got two different products.

Are there merits to purchasing both? Yeah, I think so. The inclusion of Mac OSX is worth it alone, in my opinion. At the end of the day though, it's your friends money. If he can afford it, he can afford it.

That's not a very good analogy...

And S4 is nowhere near double the price.

OMG ESPN defending the bullshit calls on the 76ers yesterday by saying that the Heat were just more aggressive. Yeah, randomly plowing people into the front row and kicking people on jumpers is aggressive. It's also illegal and wasn't called, come on.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
OMG ESPN defending the bullshit calls on the 76ers yesterday by saying that the Heat were just more aggressive. Yeah, randomly plowing people into the front row and kicking people on jumpers is aggressive. It's also illegal and wasn't called, come on.

I didn't see the game yesterday so I'm not commenting on the officiating but part of what LeBron and Wade do is draw contact and get to the line. It's "normal" for them to get to the line a dozen times a game each. Like I said I didn't see the game so I don't know about the calls in yesterday's game specifically.

Dr.Hadji

giri said:
You can whinge about it all you want, and in some cases, you have a case. I didn't bother watching the end of that game, i knew the mavs were going to win. But dirk was getting mugged in the first half and got barely any calls, if he got a few makeup ons in the second half... well they should've been made earlier.

I wouldn't call them make up fouls. If they would have played Dirk the same way as they did in the first three quarters the refs probably would have swallowed their whistles. But Port got a little to aggressive and Dirk changed his play to make them pay for it. I mean come on, Dirk went for a fade away jumper and Wallace (i think) came up from behind to try and get a block. Ya, good luck trying to get that one to fly. He had another two where he cut to the basket, Port rotated late and slammed into Dirk.

ToyMachine228 said:
HoopsHype says he's definitely playing one more year, and the Knicks are looking at signing him. Whether anyone believes that or not other than the source, I don't know. He's been injured for most of the year and he ain't getting any younger.

Why the fuck would The Knicks sign flabby ass Snaq, there's no way in hell.

ToyMachine228 said:
I didn't see the game yesterday so I'm not commenting on the officiating but part of what LeBron and Wade do is draw contact and get to the line. It's "normal" for them to get to the line a dozen times a game each. Like I said I didn't see the game so I don't know about the calls in yesterday's game specifically.

Wade was kicking people on jumpshots with five fouls in a close game to get to the line and LeBron bulldozed several people over offball with no calls whatsoever. The Heat are the better team, but it's so lame to see the refs bullshit the Heat to a victory after the Heat didn't play well.

aktham

K.Jack said:
I just spent $2k on a notebook myself.

i7-2630QM
AMD Radeon HD 6970M (desktop 6850)
8GB RAM
320GB HDD
Blu-ray
1080p LCD (90% color gamut)

Us poor Windows peasants have it so bad...

Intel Core i7-2630QM processor 2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M 1GB graphics with Optimus
6BG RAM
500GB HDD (replaced with Vertex 2 120GB SSD already)
Blu-Ray
15.6FHD TLF B+RGLED LCD L501X

840 (1010 with Vertex 2 120GB SSD)

The Crimson Blur said:
No Manu today confirmed.

I'm OK with that though; I don't want him to reinjure it.

Was just about to post this. If we can pull off the win, then I think we can sweep them. No way Manu misses game 2 since it's on Wednesday.

KingGondo

Banned
******SPURS IRC CONTINUE TO AUTO DESCONECT
11:15 ******SPURS WTF
11:15 ******SPURS KINGDODO
11:15 ******SPURS IRC CONTINUE TO AUTO DESCONECT
11:15 ******SPURS PATETIC
11:16 ******SPURS FUCK THIS SHIT
11:16 ******SPURS SHIT SERVER
11:16 KingGondo somebody preemptively got drunk in anticipation of a grizz asskicking...
11:17 ******SPURS KING
11:18 ******SPURS THUNDER VS CELTICS FINAL
11:18 ******SPURS WILL BE EPIC
11:18 ******SPURS ZACH RANDOLPH WILL WILL SPURS
11:18 ******SPURS MEMPHIS VS THUNDER LAKERS VS BLAZERS
11:20 *** ******SPURS quit (Connection reset by peer)

obijkenobi said:
Was just about to post this. If we can pull off the win, then I think we can sweep them. No way Manu misses game 2 since it's on Wednesday.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. This type of injury takes like 2-4 weeks. To come back after only 1 week might only hurt the team.

But yeah, I expect him back too. We'll see if it'll be for better or for worse.

Dr.Hadji said:
I wouldn't call them make up fouls. If they would have played Dirk the same way as they did in the first three quarters the refs probably would have swallowed their whistles. But Port got a little to aggressive and Dirk changed his play to make them pay for it. I mean come on, Dirk went for a fade away jumper and Wallace (i think) came up from behind to try and get a block. Ya, good luck trying to get that one to fly. He had another two where he cut to the basket, Port rotated late and slammed into Dirk.

This is true. Dirk spent most of the game fading away either just inside or just outside the paint (and missing), he got it going in the 4th by taking it strong to the rim, Portland should have made him a passer as no one was hitting besides Kidd last night.

Bread

Banned
Does anyone actually like the NBA commercials? This new ball commercial with Dwight is annoying, and the big head commercials are so lame.

Puddles

Banned
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Wade was kicking people on jumpshots with five fouls in a close game to get to the line and LeBron bulldozed several people over offball with no calls whatsoever. The Heat are the better team, but it's so lame to see the refs bullshit the Heat to a victory after the Heat didn't play well.

Philly should be 1-0 in the series right now. They'd probably still lose in 6, but Miami didn't deserve to win that game. It was completely handed to them on a platter.

ToyMachine228 said:
Shaq is signed through next season.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Dwight's teammates can't even make entry passes:

http://nbaplaybook.com/2011/04/17/dwight-howards-three-second-violations-werent-his-fault/

Come to Utah, Dwight. Favors and Hayward throw some of the best entry passes in the league...

Yeah, the boxscore says 8 turnovers but by my count 5 were his teammates' fault. Nelson moved before Dwight was set for a screen, those 2 three second calls, and 2 bad entry passes that got counted against Dwight.

They are running a circus show in ORL. Its terrible.

KingGondo

Banned
D-Will + Dwight would put the Nets in the top 3 in the East easily, but they really fucked themselves with those terrible role player contracts this summer.

Jeffries is a nice player though.

I'm going to have to listen to Chucks bullshit again?

Hes gotten more and more crazy over time. Now hes saying MEM will easily beat the Spurs with or without Manu. Its pretty funny, but its getting old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom