• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT2| Love Jesus or I'll cut you

Status
Not open for further replies.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Hawks just made the biggest mistake of their lives. Bulls are +59 when Korver's on the floor in the playoffs.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Been out all day. just wanted to call out the Lakers for being sore losers, specially that Bynum tech. For a team as distinguished as the Lakers, their players need to be more gracious in the face of defeat.

Anyways, congrats to the Mavs!

gketter said:
ah you reading Sturm's twitter feed too? :)

But of course. Why wouldn't I? BaD Radio is my favorite show on the Ticket. :)

Actually, I HAD to see what Sturm was saying about Grubes' moment in the sun at the end of Phil's press conference as Scoops Callahan, the 1920's Reporter Guy. Can't wait until the show tomorrow.

I'm guessing Grubes will be too big-time to keep following me on Twitter since Ashton Kutcher is blowing him up... :(

20110509-nsk5kk54prx31dktyfh4jc57ri.jpg

I'm looking for video of CWEB's rant on Bynum. Anybody got it?

SamuraiX-

I find it insulting that T-Mobile is still playing a commercial where a chubby Asian guy calls his mom and says "in your face", even on Mother's Day.

Sickening.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
the lakers were fortunate to even be considered a serious contender this year. they dont have a very good team top to bottom. people can blame pau or whoever and say "well if he was giving us his usual numbers we win!" uh, ok? isn't that every series ever? if ray allen gives the celtics his usual numbers in the last finals it doesn't even get to game 7, if the kings make an extra FT in 2002 the lakers dont even get to the finals, and on and on and on.

lakers got beat by a better team, nothing more. the lakers are no longer a top team in the league. they had a nice run after the all star break which gave the illusion that they would be able to compete for a finals but in reality they are too old and too thin on the bench to ever be considered a true contender. they will likely be in rebuilding mode for a while because you really don't have much to be excited about on the roster at this point
I'm not sure how you think a team with kobe, pau, bynum, odom, and marginally artest is a worse team than the mavs. Seems like a big retcon to magically say this team had no expectations. One of the most talent laden teams in the top 7 or so in the entire league.

Pristine_Condition said:
But of course. Why wouldn't I? BaD Radio is my favorite show on the Ticket. :)

Actually, I HAD to see what Sturm was saying about Grubes' moment in the sun at the end of Phil's press conference as Scoops Callahan, the 1920's Reporter Guy. Can't wait until the show tomorrow.

I'm guessing Grubes will be too big-time to keep following me on Twitter since Ashton Kutcher is blowing him up... :(

I'm looking for video of CWEB's rant on Bynum. Anybody got it?

ahem. That's Gribble sir, not Grubes. Yea I can't wait for the ticket tomorrow. I'm afraid work will disrupt it too much

Hi-Def

Neo Member
FrenchMovieTheme said:
the lakers were fortunate to even be considered a serious contender this year. they dont have a very good team top to bottom. people can blame pau or whoever and say "well if he was giving us his usual numbers we win!" uh, ok? isn't that every series ever? if ray allen gives the celtics his usual numbers in the last finals it doesn't even get to game 7, if the kings make an extra FT in 2002 the lakers dont even get to the finals, and on and on and on.

lakers got beat by a better team, nothing more. the lakers are no longer a top team in the league. they had a nice run after the all star break which gave the illusion that they would be able to compete for a finals but in reality they are too old and too thin on the bench to ever be considered a true contender. they will likely be in rebuilding mode for a while because you really don't have much to be excited about on the roster at this point
I'm just glad some of the unfortunate negativity from Odom and Bynum strayed away a bit of the blame solely on Gasol. Lakers would not be the two time defending champs if not for him. Bynum was in all honesty, with the exception of this Game 4, the best performer of this series for the Lakers. Laker fans should just hope a dominate Dwight Howard ends up on their team to really be able to contend again.

elrechazao said:
I'm not sure how you think a team with kobe, pau, bynum, odom, and marginally artest is a worse team than the mavs. Seems like a big retcon to magically say this team had no expectations. One of the most talent laden teams in the top 7 or so in the entire league.

but that is exactly my point. the lakers have some (old) pieces who are still good. and if the nba was 3 on 3 or something the lakers would be set. but it's not. your team has to be 8 and sometimes 9 deep. the lakers have an awful bench. the lakers have no pointguard. the lakers have a center who is injury prone. the lakers have the 6th man who sometimes just doesn't bother to show up.

so on NBA 2k paper, yeah, lakers looked great. but i'm saying they aren't from top to bottom

elrechazao said:

I think, to a man, 90% of NBA-GAF had stamped the Lakers' ticket to the Finals when the Spurs fell behind in their series with the Grizz and the Mavs choked away Game 4 to the Blazers.

There were certainly times this season when they looked suspect, but the consensus was that they had the easiest path out of the conference because the Mavs were frauds. I think losing that game to Roy seems to have strengthened their resolve instead of weakened it. They fall behind, they think "why not come back?", they pull ahead, they think "let's stomp these bitches out." Mavs haven't looked this good since the '06 playoffs.

Doomsayer

Just wanted to drop in a say, holy shit I'm embarrassed. Not only did we go out like bitches, we thugged it up at the end of the game.

I understand Bynum because hes still a young guy and he was obviously frustrated, but come on Drew. We need you to keep your cool in these situations.

I didn't see any of the post game comments. Was there anything interesting?

Also, congrats Mavs fans. Since you completely destroyed the Lakers I'm rooting for ya'll to win the Chip. Good luck.

Overall the Lakers season was a pretty bad one. Underwhelming play all the way around... other then the 18-1 stretch this team looked like shit. Here's to next year!

KingGondo

Banned
ryutaro's mama said:
Ok, ok.

First off, congrats to Mavs-Age (Brandy, you can come back now). It wasn't a fluke, you guys got us. We didn't come to play this series and the Mavs were the better team.

Now, having said all that, good luck as well going forward to

Grizz-Age (bgassassin, jjasper)
Thunder-Age (KingGondo, TylerD)

Czzz-Age (sanjuro,frisky,tom penny, and maybe dream)
Heat-Age (Cerrius and Pheeknicks)
Bulls-Age (SephCast, TheGreatMightyPoo)

I honestly don't care or have an opinion who takes it at this point.

I wish you all equal luck.

Enjoy the rest of the playoffs.

P.S. Yes, the Bynum foul was dirty. I would never defend that kind of behavior.
Classy post of the forever? I think so.

You're welcome to join Thunder-Age for the rest of the playoffs, we could use some winning mojo right now.

The Stealth Fox

It's kind of sad that Phil's team bitched out like this.

Oh well, I'm on the Mavs bandwagon now. GO DIRK GO. Honestly, the Mavs have a REALLY good shot at it. They have a well balanced team.

Derwind

Someone explain to me, how do this health & fitness bracelets do shit?

Is this some pseudo-medical crap like some weird placebo affect?

The thought that the bracelet does shit is how it works effectively.....

etiolate

Banned
Don't worry about the whole kobe rings vs MJ rings thing

I mean, everyone knows 2002 doesn't count, so Kobe wasn't even that close. He can go chase rings on the Bulls next year.

etiolate

Banned
Derwind said:

The Maloofs buy intot hem, and hey, you can't discount business smarts like theirs.

KingGondo

Banned
Derwind said:

It doesn't do anything
except get you naming rights to the arena of the Sacramento Kings

FrenchMovieTheme said:

You're getting a little carried away here.

Lakers lost because they mentally collapsed over some ego-driven drama and the fact that they don't matchup well with the mavs. They are, on paper, a deeper team than last year's. The series could have just as easily been 2-2 right now.

Kevtones

I'm more offended by Bynum's triple-threat of outright violent behavior than Ron's incident. Kick him out of the league for awhile.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
ryutaro's mama said:
You know why this one hurt less?

1) when they went down 0-3, we all knew it was inevitable and just a matter of when. We actually knew at 0-2 if we're all being honest. All the real mourning had already happened before the ball tipped today.

2) they just chipped the 2 previous years

Dude, ALL THE FINALS SCENARIOS HURT.

All of them.
And lets be honest. That first home game loss to the Hornets was telling as fuck. When that game ended, a lot of legitimate doubt seeped into my mind for the first time in a long time. Something about that just wasn't right. But as a Laker fan I just shrugged that shit off as best I could, but the basketball fan in me knew better...

And lets go back further than that... we got beasted on by the fucking Cavs, Earl fucking Boykins and Miami's front line twice. I know it's just the regular season.. but holy SHIT that was telling.

And yeah, winning two rings back to back will soften almost any down fall. Honestly, I'm just glad we're back in the hunt with tying and possibly surpassing Boston and also getting to watch Prime Kobe and Zombie Kobe prove the haters dead fucking wrong. This is definitely a scenario I can walk away from with a coke and a smile.
etiolate said:
Why would 03 hurt? The Lakers were like 3rd or 4th best team that year.
It was quite a few things really.

- End of an era
- Watching your sports heroes cry on national television
- Kobe/Shaq feud escalating
- Having the feeling of complete invincibility now becoming complete vulnerability

The Shaq&Kobe Laker era was king shit when living in LA. There was nothing else like it. So to see it crumble like that was brutal, even though I was in Michigan viewing it from afar. Actually, I think that's what made it even more hard to deal with for me personally.

All those feelings I had during those times I just don't have right now. I remember going out back and shooting hoops for 7 hours straight after the 06 series ended in shambles. Now? I kinda just want to take a nap....

thekad

Banned
I Push Fat Kids said:
I'm more offended by Bynum's triple-threat of outright violent behavior than Ron's incident. Kick him out of the league for awhile.

Yup, Ron's act was reactionary. Bynum's was premeditated; he's out to end careers. He should get a season off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom