• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT2| Love Jesus or I'll cut you

Status
Not open for further replies.
ph33nix said:
Figures. Damn, it's gotta be the burnout factor?

Perhaps LeBron was not such a historian of the game then...

The Lakers have played 76 post-season games and also some of them played a bunch of international ball since Pau came over. And Bynum missed significant time all 4 years, so Pau/Odom were worked harder than they should have been (and of course only Bynum had energy now).

Getting to 3 finals, let alone 4 is very daunting. Of the three 3petes in the modern era, None of them won the 3rd one easily. Both of MJ's 3rd titles were tough and nearly lost. Lakers '02 title was extremely hard and really kind of lucky. Last year Lakers 2nd title was the 3rd Finals and again, very difficult to achieve. Pistons went to 3 Finals in a row and then MJ swept them out.

I really don't think it's even possible to make 4 Finals in a row, anymore. Lakers have made 7 NBA Finals since '99-00. That is amazing, even if they were 2 separate teams mostly.

It's a mentally draining experience. That's why I think we see the Spurs struggling right now, too.

Branduil

Black Mamba said:
The Lakers have played 76 post-season games and also some of them played a bunch of international ball since Pau came over. And Bynum missed significant time all 4 years, so Pau/Odom were worked harder than they should have been (and of course only Bynum had energy now).

Getting to 3 finals, let alone 4 is very daunting. Of the three 3petes in the modern era, None of them won the 3rd one easily. Both of MJ's 3rd titles were tough and nearly lost. Lakers '02 title was extremely hard and really kind of lucky. Last year Lakers 2nd title was the 3rd Finals and again, very difficult to achieve. Pistons went to 3 Finals in a row and then MJ swept them out.

I really don't think it's even possible to make 4 Finals in a row, anymore. Lakers have made 7 NBA Finals since '99-00. That is amazing, even if they were 2 separate teams mostly.

It's a mentally draining experience. That's why I think we see the Spurs struggling right now, too.
Spurs haven't gotten past the second round since 08, and they only have like three guys from the previous title team. They're just over-the-hill, undersized, and surrounded by crappy roleplayers like Matt Bonner and Richard Jefferson(lol).

giri

Branduil said:
Spurs haven't gotten past the second round since 08, and they only have like three guys from the previous title team. They're just over-the-hill, undersized, and surrounded by crappy roleplayers like Matt Bonner and Richard Jefferson(lol).
They're in a bad situation where they're finding it hard to add salary, to get the better players. ANd they've pretty much capped out manu/TD/TP afaik.

Puddles said:
Odom didn't deserve to be ejected for that forearm shiver.

You see worse hits at the gym every day.

if that happened in the 1st quarter of a close game he wouldn't have been but the refs (rightly so) saw a sore losing scumbag just taking a cheap shot and threw him out before something worse happened. then something worse happened anyways

Puddles

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
if that happened in the 1st quarter of a close game he wouldn't have been but the refs (rightly so) saw a sore losing scumbag just taking a cheap shot and threw him out before something worse happened. then something worse happened anyways

Barea isn't in a wheelchair, so no.

SamuraiX-

Puddles said:
Barea isn't in a wheelchair, so no.

Oh wow, so just because Barea thankfully was able to walk away from the thuggery it shouldn't be deemed as being worse than Odom's bitchass foul?

Gerald Wallace suffered a partially collapsed lung and a fractured rib thanks to Bynum pulling the same shit on him two years ago.

Puddles

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
what does barea have to do with odom being ejected?

You talked about something worse happening, presumably talking about the Bynum hit. Dude got up after the hit just fine.

Then again, would ending Barea's career really be worse, come to think of it?

SamuraiX- said:
Oh wow, so just because Barea thankfully was able to walk away from the thuggery it shouldn't be deemed as being worse than Odom's bitchass foul?

Gerald Wallace suffered a partially collapsed lung and a fractured rib thanks to Bynum pulling the same shit on him two years ago.

I remember that. That shit sucked. G-Wall is a great player and a class act.

Puddles said:
Odom didn't deserve to be ejected for that forearm shiver.

You see worse hits at the gym every day.

I agree except when you're down 20+ in the 4th and going home. The refs HAVE to step in and control that. Like i said in my initial post, you can't take hard fouls AFTER your team is done. It's too late. You're not doing anything in that spot but hurting the team moving on.

Fisher taking out Scola against Houston was okay. Odom was not.

Bishman

So ESPN who didn't even think Dallas had a chance to beat the Lakers... are now saying WE are the favorites to go to the finals. We have a 60% chance. And the best route is Memphis, which we would have a 67% chance against them.

thekad

Banned
SamuraiX- said:

Lakers fans, like their players, get excited about thuggery. Disgusting people with no respect for the game.

Ninja Scooter said:
Go out like what? Why are so many people feeling bad for Phil? In 10 years people will remember the guy for 11 rings, 13 Finals appearances, 3 threepeats, this loss will be an afterthought.

I'll always remember him getting booed in his last home game.

Bishman said:
So ESPN who didn't even think Dallas had a chance to beat the Lakers... are now saying WE are the favorites to go to the finals. We have a 60% chance. And the best route is Memphis, which we would have a 67% chance against them.

Are you talking about Accuscore? That's actually not ESPN, they're just paying them to publish the results.

And FWIW, HCA is a huge determinant in the percentages.

Sammy - By okay I mean he can do it, and rightfully be suspended, but it's not dirty. Fisher did it to send his team a message and to man up, not to hurt Scola. Besides, it wasn't a play that could really hurt him. Odom wasn't sending a message to his team, he was being a bitch by simply trying to take out the best player. Bynum's is not defensible in any scenario.

Bishman said:

When you beat the favorite, you tend to become the favorite. Simple logic, really.

Down 27 with a little more than nine minutes left, Odom went to the free-throw line. After missing the first free throw, Odom shot a quick practice jumper before getting to his second free throw. Doing his best Kevin Garnett impression, Dirk Nowitzki swatted Odom’s shot hard to the delight of his laughing fans. Odom didn’t find it as funny. On the Mavs’ ensuing possession, he ran into Nowitzki hard with his shoulder. Odom was immediately ejected.

“I was a little embarrassed,” Odom said. “When I went to feel the rim out, Dirk … you know I’m saying? They were already up 30. I didn’t mean anything by it.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-spears_lakers_collapse_ends_title_run_050811

So that's what caused it? Really Odom?

Sciz

Bishman said:
I'm okay with that. It seems like the Grizz only play their best when popular opinion is stacked against them.

Resilient

Bishman said:

Happy days for Mavs fans. If we end up with an 06 repeat, shit will be insane.

Puddles

Banned
thekad said:
Lakers fans, like their players, get excited about thuggery. Disgusting people with no respect for the game.

Shut the fuck up. Laimbeer would have hit Barea harder than that.

And Odom wasn't trying to take anyone out. He threw an elbow in frustration. Who hasn't done that at one point or another? That wouldn't have injured Dirk unless he was made of glass.

Black Mamba said:
I agree except when you're down 20+ in the 4th and going home. The refs HAVE to step in and control that. Like i said in my initial post, you can't take hard fouls AFTER your team is done. It's too late. You're not doing anything in that spot but hurting the team moving on.

Fisher taking out Scola against Houston was okay. Odom was not.

Exactly. I feel like most people I talk with won't agree with this, but I feel like most people I talk with are morons :/

thekad said:

I wanted to say this, but I think most Lakers fans in here actually have a brain. This Puddles guy however...I don't even know what to say...

giri

Puddles

Banned
etiolate said:
Hey, why don't the Lakers get Laimbeer to take over for Phil? He's got WNBA experience.

I wonder if Jeannie makes Phil go to Muse concerts with her after he's trash-talked them on public forums.

Gigglepoo

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
He's resorting to backpedalling, he actually thought Hansbrough played great in the playoffs, he must have lived vicariously through Tyler after Kurt Thomas hit him with the elbow.

Assault and battery!

rdrr gnr

SamuraiX- said:
Odom's just a stupid ass bitch. He doesn't know any better.

Bynum, on the other hand... I'll be poppin' bottles the day this asshole motherfucker is sent out of the league on a career-ending injury.

SamuraiX- said:
Bynum, on the other hand... I'll be poppin' bottles the day this asshole motherfucker is sent out of the league on a career-ending injury.

I really think he should be kicked out of the league. He's done this twice before. He's obviously a thug and if that's what he wants to be then he should take his game on the streets and stay the fuck out a civilized Nba game.

Hm5qo.png

IMO

benjipwns

Banned
giri said:
Golf Ham. Much better than mine.

Follow it up with

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3nanxfg

Nash, AI, Durant, Blake, Howard.
Brooks, Dudley, Hill, Anderson, Lopez second unit?

Do it Sarver! (he never would, he'd have to spend money to keep blake).
The trade machine really needs to allow more than four teams. And let you turn on/off the various non-salary restrictions. (Especially since the season is over.)

Earlier in the year you could do things like trade Yao's contract for the entire Clippers/Kings roster outside of their top two contracts.

MPW

Perhaps more than anything, the notion that Pau Gasol can be this team's next great leader was swept away. His sudden and odd postseason disappearance was the most obvious reason for the Lakers' troubles, his fall completed Sunday when he scored 10 points while being pushed around by everyone but his coach, who thankfully refrained from hitting him for a second consecutive game.

"I have to learn from this," Gasol said. ''I have to learn that when something happens off the court, you have to keep it off the court."

He was referring to the report that he stopped talking to Bryant during the postseason because Bryant's wife, Vanessa, had contributed to the breakup of Gasol and his longtime girlfriend. Lakers fans will remember that Karl Malone once publicly accused Vanessa of interfering with his personal life in a similar fashion.

Whatever was happening, Bryant and Gasol haven't connected on the court in a month, and the Lakers have been lost without the strength of their fusion.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/columnists/la-sp-plaschke-lakers-20110509,0,342841,full.column

fuck mrs. kobe

MPW said:
Perhaps more than anything, the notion that Pau Gasol can be this team's next great leader was swept away. His sudden and odd postseason disappearance was the most obvious reason for the Lakers' troubles, his fall completed Sunday when he scored 10 points while being pushed around by everyone but his coach, who thankfully refrained from hitting him for a second consecutive game.

"I have to learn from this," Gasol said. ''I have to learn that when something happens off the court, you have to keep it off the court."

He was referring to the report that he stopped talking to Bryant during the postseason because Bryant's wife, Vanessa, had contributed to the breakup of Gasol and his longtime girlfriend. Lakers fans will remember that Karl Malone once publicly accused Vanessa of interfering with his personal life in a similar fashion.

Whatever was happening, Bryant and Gasol haven't connected on the court in a month, and the Lakers have been lost without the strength of their fusion.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/columnists/la-sp-plaschke-lakers-20110509,0,342841,full.column

fuck mrs. kobe

By "interfering" did Karl mean Vanessa didn't accept his invitation for a three way?

benjipwns

Banned
Black Mamba said:
But you could have half the Magic's bench and Thunder's bench as the Lakers if you part with Pau.

Ryan Anderson is like the perfect throw-in to any trade with the Magic on the machine because of that salary and his PER.

benjipwns said:
But you could have half the Magic's bench and Thunder's bench as the Lakers if you part with Pau.

Ryan Anderson is like the perfect throw-in to any trade with the Magic on the machine because of that salary and his PER.

And we could use the 3 pt shooting.

THRILLH0

Banned
Jesus christ at people calling for Bynum to get injured or be thrown out of the league :lol

I only just missed the Bad Boy Pistons but even during the 90's shit like that was going down on a regular basis. That's not to excuse or condone it but y'all need to calm the fuck down. Bynum will take his 5-games next season and noone will remember shit.

MPW said:
"I have to learn from this," Gasol said. ''I have to learn that when something happens off the court, you have to keep it off the court.

No shit...OF COURSE YOU HAVE TO DO THAT!!!

So now that it's over, the fucker admits it was true?

What a mentally weak man.

Thanks for the back to back, Pau...but you gotta be move professional than that.

Good grief.

AShep said:
Jesus christ at people calling for Bynum to get injured or be thrown out of the league :lol

I only just missed the Bad Boy Pistons but even during the 90's shit like that was going down on a regular basis. That's not to excuse or condone it but y'all need to calm the fuck down. Bynum will take his 5-games next season and noone will remember shit.

Oh I will sir. I will.

THRILLH0

Banned
Samurai and Puddles you guys are fucking disgraceful. Like I said the other day, I know NBA-gaf gets dirty but you guys are sick in the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom